Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What's Axial up to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #121
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What's Axial up to?

As I read more about it Axial seems to have tried to make it more scale but it is not scale. The "scaleness" is off in size. If you comp with it the body is too big anyway.

The only feature unique to it seems to be dig, and off set axials. If you comp dig is C3 and that is not a C3 rig. If you trail do you care about dig or would you want a 2 speed trans?

Last edited by MOguy; 07-28-2021 at 08:04 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2021, 08:14 AM   #122
Slow is the new Fast

Can't say I am particularly enamored by this release. A release of the 10.3 in a builders kit to rival the price point of the comparable TRX4 and Enduro would be lovely. Until then I will be stoked to see what folks do with this RTR. I sure hope lowering the body on this sucker won't require the complete loss of that pretty interior,.sure would be a shame.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:18 AM   #123
Pebble Pounder

You lost me lol.

They scaled the size of the real bronco body down to a 12.3" wheelbase, if my math works out.

Ideal? Maybe not. It does have a goofy appearance and makes for a wider than "normal" 12.3" crawler. But the real first gens are also kinda tubby also, especially if they are in their original "uncut" state.

Dig vs. two speed? I think I'd leave it with dig. Already have a two speed rig. But I see your point of the two speed being more desirable for trailing.

We will all debate this until the cows come home, and Axial is going to sell a metric butt-ton regardless.
CamoColton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #124
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoColton View Post
You lost me lol.

They scaled the size of the real bronco body down to a 12.3" wheelbase, if my math works out.

Ideal? Maybe not. It does have a goofy appearance and makes for a wider than "normal" 12.3" crawler. But the real first gens are also kinda tubby also, especially if they are in their original "uncut" state.

Dig vs. two speed? I think I'd leave it with dig. Already have a two speed rig. But I see your point of the two speed being more desirable for trailing.

We will all debate this until the cows come home, and Axial is going to sell a metric butt-ton regardless.
The early 1:1 generation Broncos were small, like a mini truck compared to later generation 1:1 Broncos. The axle Bronco should not be wider than any other RTR out there, it should be smaller.

It should be short wheelbase with a small body. Instead it is as big as other RTR that are modeled after larger 1:1 vehicles.

They will sell, it looks great, esp the blueish colored one. It just seems that the RTR manufactures just keep coming out with nothing new or unique other than different bodies and BS changes.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:41 AM   #125
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
The early 1:1 generation Broncos were small, like a mini truck compared to later generation 1:1 Broncos. The axle Bronco should not be wider than any other RTR out there, it should be smaller.

It should be short wheelbase with a small body. Instead it is as big as other RTR that are modeled after larger 1:1 vehicles.

Ah, yes. We are in agreement.

What wheel/tire size would/should they go with if they went for a wheelbase under 10"? Something like a 1.55 with 3.85" or smaller tires?
CamoColton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #126
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoColton View Post
Ah, yes. We are in agreement.

What wheel/tire size would/should they go with if they went for a wheelbase under 10"? Something like a 1.55 with 3.85" or smaller tires?
That one is based on a specific 1:1 bronco so tires should match, the rims already do. Not sure what size. As far as wheel base, it should be shorter.

It is hard to say how "real" vs RC it should be but it should be at least somewhat representative. It should defiantly be much smaller and shorter than a TRX Late 70s blazer.

Old 07-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #127
Quarry Creeper

MST Bronco on the CMX chassis is a better representation in proportion and a good performer for $240 less.
Max Speed Technology-PRODUCTCARS - OFF-ROADCMX RTRCMX RTR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BllUEuHTfOA

Last edited by MAGNUMB; 07-28-2021 at 09:02 AM.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #128
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUMB View Post
MST Bronco on the CMX chassis is a better representation in proportion and a good performer for $240 less.
Max Speed Technology-PRODUCTCARS - OFF-ROADCMX RTRCMX RTR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BllUEuHTfOA
I prefer the looks of the MST option though I prefer the performance qualities of a longer wheelbase vehicle overall. There is no doubt in my mind the shorter wheelbase better represents the look of the early Bronco. The Vaterra Bronco was also nice proportioned and came in a short wheelbase.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #129
I wanna be Dave

The various manufacturers attitudes towards what is 1/10th scale has always differed.

The Vaterra Bronco wheelbase was 10.95" (278mm) and the MST Bronco was 9.53" (242mm).

The shortest SCX10 release was the UMG10 at 11.4" (289mm), the Deadbolt was 12" (305mm).

I remember when the Traxxas TRX-4 came out and everyone was upset over how large the different bodies seemed when parked next to existing models from everyone else.

I'll say for the most part it's the least of my priorities when deciding to choose a particular R/C vehicle to buy...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #130
Rock Crawler

When you talk about relationship between 1:1 and 1/10 as scale that relationship does not exist.

My 1:1 Jeep weighs just over 3800lbs. My RC Jeep (Enudro chassis) did not weigh 380lbs. Nothing is really truly scale.

I like to comp and I like to follow the rules. C1 where I am at is SORRCA. So for me SORRCA rules tell me what scale is for my C1. The other classes where I compete do not follow SORRCA. They don't have all the rules so those ones are built different.

I guess for me when I see licensed body, scale details or whatever they advertise I expect a pretty good representation. Other people see it different. Either way the blueish colored one is probably about the best looking RTR body out there, followed by TRX's K5 blazer.

Neither of which I will never run because neither will get me add scale points for my C1 and both are too big and heavy for my other a comp rig. So I am not the market they are after so my opinion really doesn't matter.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-28-2021 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #131
Gold Star Baby!

The more I look at it after reading these comments the body does look relatively big. To fit the 12.3” wb and keep the dimensions/detail of the body i guess it makes sense that it’d be a bit bigger.

I also thought this was on class 1 tires at first but reading that they’re 4.7” makes it feel that much bigger.

With all that being said I’m not really much of a scale perfectionist and I think it’s a good looking body in general. Would like to see a knight customs grill to add some depth up front. Seems to be a cool trail truck body.

Quote:
When you talk about relationship between 1:1 and 1/10 as scale that relationship does not exist.

My 1:1 Jeep weighs just over 3800lbs. My RC Jeep (Enudro chassis) did not weigh 380lbs. Nothing is really truly scale.
Keep in mind that weight is cubic/3D so for 10th scale a 4000lb truck would scale down to 4lbs.

Since these trucks tend to be more 1:8 1:9 scale in dimension it’d be more like 5.5 - 7.8 lbs (example math 4000 / 8 / 8 /8 = 7.8 )

I think that’s right anyway…

Last edited by Topher Builds; 07-28-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #132
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I prefer the looks of the MST option though I prefer the performance qualities of a longer wheelbase vehicle overall. There is no doubt in my mind the shorter wheelbase better represents the look of the early Bronco. The Vaterra Bronco was also nice proportioned and came in a short wheelbase.
Yea, shorter wheelbase would have made the body scale way down and been much more "correct" to 1:10 scale. Buuuut then you lose some interior room because the drivetrain isn't smaller under it. They'd also need a wheel with more backspacing to tuck the tires and smaller tires as well so more r&d and molds to make. Or just make the body proportional to an existing chassis and release it with new axles and have a winner.

Some people get so hung up on proportional correctness they don't enjoy a rig for what it is.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:10 PM   #133
Quarry Creeper

There has never been such a thing as a 1/10th scale crawler ... you can't expect a scale to be true without tailored made chassis and accessories.

Most trucks today are bodied from 1/9 to 1/7, so a 1/8 Bronco is in the ballpark by todays standards ... it's not made to be driven along with Tamiya/MST/RGT/FTX Bronco ... and you wouldn't want, your playground is not longer made for such small trucks.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:38 PM   #134
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Yea, shorter wheelbase would have made the body scale way down and been much more "correct" to 1:10 scale. Buuuut then you lose some interior room because the drivetrain isn't smaller under it. They'd also need a wheel with more backspacing to tuck the tires and smaller tires as well so more r&d and molds to make. Or just make the body proportional to an existing chassis and release it with new axles and have a winner.

Some people get so hung up on proportional correctness they don't enjoy a rig for what it is.
That really is the bottom line. Scale-ish is all that really should matter. It’s as good as it’s gonna get. I suppose if I am running a 2020 Dodge Ram in a 12.3” WB with a 1971 Bronco also in a 12.3” WB something will appear grossly off. Standing alone, either is ultimately a close enough representation.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #135
I wanna be Dave

For those wondering ... 1/6 th scale "Brocky" body, (New Bright) actually scales out to roughly the same scale as the new axial body... 100mm shocks on a gen1 chassis and 10II axles...

Only real difference is 5.4" tires...

Absolutely dwarfs a axial Jt

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 06:04 PM   #136
RCC Addict

Quote:
Keep in mind that weight is cubic/3D so for 10th scale a 4000lb truck would scale down to 4lbs.

Since these trucks tend to be more 1:8 1:9 scale in dimension it’d be more like 5.5 - 7.8 lbs (example math 4000 / 8 / 8 /8 = 7.8 )
This is correct Topher and thanks for pointing out as the original note about 380 lbs was driving me nuts.

Some of you are way over thinking it. It's all about compromises. A truly scale vehicle wouldn't perform anything like what we put ours through either. That one foot drop you go off of without damage? That's 10 feet in the real world and would bust your 1:1 rig all up. And these RC's perform moves and climbs that only hard core trail built rigs could I'm 1:1.

For a better example of what true scale looks and performance would look like check out the FMS Jimmy.

Fact is the scale world is better than it's ever been and has actually bled out into on road and other surface RC.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:55 AM   #137
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

Some people like scale. Different people like different things.

This thing is $$$. More than an Enduro or TRX, why would I choose it over one of those?

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2021 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:21 AM   #138
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Some people like scale. Different people like different things.

This thing is $$$. More than an Enduro or TRX, why would I choose it over one of those?
It's different and the wheels are pretty cool for a RTR.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:36 AM   #139
Rock Crawler

Quote:
It's different and the wheels are pretty cool for a RTR.
For me it isn't different enough, nice looking but nothing else.

Looks great (esp. the bluesish one). Probably that is the best looking RTR out there, 2nd is the TRX K5. The interior is great. The wheels are correct for that Bronco. What kills it for me is its size. That generation bronco was small, but that RTR is big. If it were smaller I would really like it.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:37 AM   #140
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
the wheels are pretty cool for a RTR.
This made me chuckle

I don’t think Axial gives too many shits about the nit picky nerds on RCC. They are in the business of selling and growing the hobby. This rig is for folks who need to have the latest rig, are brand loyal or simply think this old Bronco is the business.

What's Axial up to? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM