Thread: What's Axial up to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2021, 07:58 AM   #141
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What's Axial up to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
This made me chuckle

I don’t think Axial gives too many shits about the nit picky nerds on RCC. They are in the business of selling and growing the hobby. This rig is for folks who need to have the latest rig, are brand loyal or simply think this old Bronco is the business.
They probably pay attention to Facebook?

Many of us nerds will probably not be happy with an off the shelf RTR anyway. If we want it a certain way we will do it ourselves and make it our own.

I suppose it is like the woman that shows up to the event and other are wearing the same dress. I don't want to show up to an event and have my RC look like somebody else's, I want it to be different.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2021 at 08:00 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2021, 08:26 AM   #142
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Some people like scale. Different people like different things.

This thing is $$$. More than an Enduro or TRX, why would I choose it over one of those?
Axial has the best and most thorough aftermarket support network in the business and the rig comes with dig unlike Traxxas or associated. If you want the best you gotta pay up. Everyone is raising their prices these days, inflation and dollar devaluation is a bitch but it's the new normal so pay up sucker.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #143
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Axial has the best and most thorough aftermarket support network in the business and the rig comes with dig unlike Traxxas or associated. If you want the best you gotta pay up. Everyone is raising their prices these days, inflation and dollar devaluation is a bitch but it's the new normal so pay up sucker.
Axial stuff fits on and Enduro, lots of stuff is made for the TRX.

Dig is cool, TRX has selectable lockers and a 2 Speed and they work, Axial dig in their earlier scxiii not as reliable. I see more and more new Elements adn TRXs than Axials

Other than Vanquish this is the most expensive RTR out there, we sill see if people thing that body and dig are worth it?

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #144
Rock Crawler

Yeah, it does look a little wonky when you get different vehicles beside each other on the trail, and an Early Bronco is bigger than a Chevy pickup. However, I personally RC alone more than in a group, so as long as my rig looks good on it's own, I'm happy.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #145
RCC Addict

Quote:

Dig is cool, TRX has selectable lockers and a 2 Speed and they work, Axial dig in their earlier scxiii not as reliable. I see more and more new Elements adn TRXs than Axials

Other than Vanquish this is the most expensive RTR out there, we sill see if people thing that body and dig are worth it?
Dig is way more useful than selectable lockers. Selectable lockers won't pull you around tight corners and give you any of the advantages of dig. They're also completely useless when competing in any way.

Fact is, we wouldn't have scale without Axial, they saw the market when no one else did. It took Traxxas (who I like and I own many of there vehicles) almost 10 years to get on board. Yes it's a good offering but they had a lot of vehicles and market research from other manufacturers to learn from, RC4WD, Venom, Axial, HPI, etc. In fact they did release what they called a scale-ish trail truck in their LaTrax brand which was a total joke. They also had fails trying to act like the Summit could be scale, or a rock crawler, etc.

Also many of the long time scale guys had plenty of complaints with them as well, top heavy body, portal axles, etc.

Point is, people will always nitpick, but the success of Axial has been and will be the proof in the pudding. People also nitpick every vehicle Traxxas ever releases. Every. Single. Time.

But, fanboys are gonna fanboy. I don't subscribe to such tribal things. Luckily Axial, Traxxas, Element/AE, and others don't as well and they keep on being successful.

I will never forget the parts cost I had getting my first scale build together, and that was not electronics factored in. Had and original AX10 kit, parts for new links, wheels and tires, chassis kit form The Crawler Store, and a plethora of other crap. Then like a day before I decide what all I want, Axial shows us the new SCX10. Wasn't perfect, but it was awesome, and so much cheaper than the only scale offering on the market which was the Tamiya Hilux which at the time was north of $600.00 for the kit.

And let me not forget RC4WD and all the support they offered as well. You could piece together axles and what not from them, but that was prior to their more inexpensive cast axles and they really had a poor supply chain behind them, you could never find anything in stock.

Last edited by TexasSP; 07-29-2021 at 10:00 AM.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The new TRX4 Bronco is only $30 less and gives you no interior, glue on wheels, and generally crappier electronics on a platform that is 4 years old. The SCXIII Bronco is plenty of coin but the value is not out of line with the competition.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #147
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The new TRX4 Bronco is only $30 less and gives you no interior, glue on wheels, and generally crappier electronics on a platform that is 4 years old. The SCXIII Bronco is plenty of coin but the value is not out of line with the competition.

I think the Axial SCX10iii JLU is starting to look like a good deal comparatively.

Fresh chassis design
Nicely detailed exterior
Interior
Lights
Still listed at $499.99 USD
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #148
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Sure the aftermarket has improved for everyone lately but axial has ruled the roost on that front since 2010 or so.

When did vanquish start offering an rtr? If you want high level stuff it's going to cost you.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #149
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Dig is way more useful than selectable lockers. Selectable lockers won't pull you around tight corners and give you any of the advantages of dig. They're also completely useless when competing in any way.

Fact is, we wouldn't have scale without Axial, they saw the market when no one else did. It took Traxxas (who I like and I own many of there vehicles) almost 10 years to get on board. Yes it's a good offering but they had a lot of vehicles and market research from other manufacturers to learn from, RC4WD, Venom, Axial, HPI, etc. In fact they did release what they called a scale-ish trail truck in their LaTrax brand which was a total joke. They also had fails trying to act like the Summit could be scale, or a rock crawler, etc.

Also many of the long time scale guys had plenty of complaints with them as well, top heavy body, portal axles, etc.

Point is, people will always nitpick, but the success of Axial has been and will be the proof in the pudding. People also nitpick every vehicle Traxxas ever releases. Every. Single. Time.

But, fanboys are gonna fanboy. I don't subscribe to such tribal things. Luckily Axial, Traxxas, Element/AE, and others don't as well and they keep on being successful.

I will never forget the parts cost I had getting my first scale build together, and that was not electronics factored in. Had and original AX10 kit, parts for new links, wheels and tires, chassis kit form The Crawler Store, and a plethora of other crap. Then like a day before I decide what all I want, Axial shows us the new SCX10. Wasn't perfect, but it was awesome, and so much cheaper than the only scale offering on the market which was the Tamiya Hilux which at the time was north of $600.00 for the kit.

And let me not forget RC4WD and all the support they offered as well. You could piece together axles and what not from them, but that was prior to their more inexpensive cast axles and they really had a poor supply chain behind them, you could never find anything in stock.
No doubt dig is better but as far as Comp? Dig is C3, that is not a C3 competitive rig. You can use selectable lockers in C2. I have selectable lockers and 4wheel steer in my C3 and dig on my MOA. Both have there benefits.

Traxxas has pretty poster to put up in the hobby shop, they have gotten to the beginners and kids. Axial historically is the one.

I have only been doing thing less than three years. Had I only read Facebook and gone to one hobby shop I would no very little about Axial.

I have only bought one RTR, a TRX G500 that was used and less expansive. The shop owner probably had more profit in it then the Axial RTRs he had so that is probably why he led me to the TRX.

I bought and Enduro Kit. Almost everything else I have I bought used and or traded for. Trading and building fun for me. Bulling something out of a box, tacking a wrapper off and charging a battery is not.

I am not knocking Axial any more than anybody else, I have more axial stuff then all the other things combined. All I have left of my TRX is axles, a transmission and some shocks.

What I am knockings is the "NEW" Element, just a body and trailing arms, the "NEW" TRX just a new body and mounting system, now the "NEW" Axial just a new body and rims.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:58 AM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Strongly disagree. I use the rear selectable locker constantly on my trx4. Leaving it open and only kicking it in when needed will get you a lot of places. I kick it open on tight turns especially when I can hook the inner rear tire on a rock. I also leave it open on climbs since the rear gets all the weight on steep climbs and will pull it over when a rear tire has all the traction. Opening the diff allows the bound up tire to sit and forces the front to start working to pull it up.

If Traxxas made the axles about 3/4" wider and used universals in the front axle they'd rule the portal market but they don't so all my comp rigs have capra based axles these days, trx4 are gone.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #151
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Strongly disagree. I use the rear selectable locker constantly on my trx4. Leaving it open and only kicking it in when needed will get you a lot of places. I kick it open on tight turns especially when I can hook the inner rear tire on a rock. I also leave it open on climbs since the rear gets all the weight on steep climbs and will pull it over when a rear tire has all the traction. Opening the diff allows the bound up tire to sit and forces the front to start working to pull it up.

If Traxxas made the axles about 3/4" wider and used universals in the front axle they'd rule the portal market but they don't so all my comp rigs have capra based axles these days, trx4 are gone.
YMMV, I never found them that useful for any type of competitive course over dig. Not saying they're useful at all, but given a choice, I would go dig. That was one of my favorite things running my XR10 with front and rear dig, it got you into and out of spots an unlockable diff never could.

If all I ever drove on was mild trails and flat lands, I could see the unlockable diffs being better. However, for that type of driving a scale truck is not what I want, would rather use a rock racer or basher/monster truck.
Old 07-29-2021, 12:02 PM   #152
RCC Addict

Quote:

What I am knockings is the "NEW" Element, just a body and trailing arms, the "NEW" TRX just a new body and mounting system, now the "NEW" Axial just a new body and rims.
At least the axial chassis is the newest out of all of these, At just over a year old. Trx4 is still the original platform with the same axles it was released with. The scx10 platform is on version 3 with the 3rd design of axles. Not including Capra axles. If you don’t think axial is pushing the limits of this portion of the hobby…
I’m not hating on the trx because I own one. Rtr’s aren’t usually my thing but I have built so many scratch custom rigs lately it was nice to pull the trx4 new bronco out of the box and run it.

This threads got so far out of hand and become a bashing party for either side you’re on. Cant people just be happy these companies are still being innovative with changing the way stuff looks and constantly working on making things better? We’re all here for the same purpose and if you don’t like what you see move on it’s pretty simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #153
Rock Crawler

Quote:
YMMV, I never found them that useful for any type of competitive course over dig. Not saying they're useful at all, but given a choice, I would go dig. That was one of my favorite things running my XR10 with front and rear dig, it got you into and out of spots an unlockable diff never could.

If all I ever drove on was mild trails and flat lands, I could see the unlockable diffs being better. However, for that type of driving a scale truck is not what I want, would rather use a rock racer or basher/monster truck.
If you compete C1 or C2 dig is not an option, but you can use selectable lockers, you are not given the choice to use dig.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2021 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:15 PM   #154
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
They probably pay attention to Facebook?

Many of us nerds will probably not be happy with an off the shelf RTR anyway. If we want it a certain way we will do it ourselves and make it our own.
For sure. I have definitely become this way over.my years in the hobby. With prices going up the likelihood of my cheap ass putting money into pre painted bodies and rtr electronics is very low. Hard to justify it when it's inevitably going to end up in a parts bin. In fact, as beautiful as all of these new scaler bodies are, they are, for the most part challenged in the performance department. I hate even writing this because I feel like a grumpy old man...

I guess this explains why I am currently most intrigued Element approach of simple unlicensed bodies like the Ecto
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #155
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
At least the axial chassis is the newest out of all of these, At just over a year old. Trx4 is still the original platform with the same axles it was released with. The scx10 platform is on version 3 with the 3rd design of axles. Not including Capra axles. If you don’t think axial is pushing the limits of this portion of the hobby…
I’m not hating on the trx because I own one. Rtr’s aren’t usually my thing but I have built so many scratch custom rigs lately it was nice to pull the trx4 new bronco out of the box and run it.

This threads got so far out of hand and become a bashing party for either side you’re on. Cant people just be happy these companies are still being innovative with changing the way stuff looks and constantly working on making things better? We’re all here for the same purpose and if you don’t like what you see move on it’s pretty simple

We are debating about something I bet neither of us would probably buy anyway.

I don't see this as basing, just expressing our opinion.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #156
Rock Crawler

Quote:
For sure. I have definitely become this way over.my years in the hobby. With prices going up the likelihood of my cheap ass putting money into pre painted bodies and rtr electronics is very low. Hard to justify it when it's inevitably going to end up in a parts bin. In fact, as beautiful as all of these new scaler bodies are, they are, for the most part challenged in the performance department. I hate even writing this because I feel like a grumpy old man...

I guess this explains why I am currently most intrigued Element approach of simple unlicensed bodies like the Ecto
Yep, I do have a hard body on my C1 but even then I bet it is lighter than some RTR bodies. My other comp vehicles bodies are under 4 ounces. Just something to paint and hide the electronics. You try to make it look good, but that is not the priority.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:50 PM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Yea rtrs suck for anything comp related. Terrible geometry and compromised weight placement means they're pretty bad.

I've bought 2 new rigs ever, everything else is built from parts and aftermarket chassis.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #158
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
The TRX is also not as good looking but I though it was cheaper than that. It is defiantly too much $$. But since people are buying it and paying that price I guess that proves me wrong and it does make the Axial a better deal.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #159
RCC Addict

Default What's Axial up to?

Quote:
We are debating about something I bet neither of us would probably buy anyway.

I don't see this as basing, just expressing our opinion.

Out of everything I said that’s all you took from it? In your own words you’re “knocking” on it. This has gone a bit further than a debate, for something you have no interest in you sure have a lot to say about it.
To be clear I’m not a “fan boy” I just get sick of reading some of this stuff. To each their own and it will be that way forever.
And in the words of Forest Gump.. well that’s all I have to say about that.

Last edited by Fricker08; 07-29-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:16 PM   #160
RCC Addict

Quote:
If you compete C1 or C2 dig is not an option, but you can use selectable lockers, you are not given the choice to use dig.
You're confusing usefulness and rules, two different things. Also, this only applies to SORCCA rules, other groups, especially locally do things differently.

Most local clubs do their own thing, regardless of SORCCA just like most local race clubs could care less about ROAR. Same for a lot of the drag groups who ignore the national rules, especially rc drag clubs which existed long before the whole no prep craze.

In the end, most people don't even compete, they're just in it for fun. This is what drives the RC hobby more than anything and why Traxxas has been so successful.

What's Axial up to? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM