Notices

Thread: What's Axial up to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: What's Axial up to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
There was a post on a crawler or comp page of facebook were a few people had broke them. They all broke where the axle tube went into the portal.

The one piece AR 44s are weak at about the same place. I have broken two of those. Things break. I got some diamonds and some of the Axial 3 piece axels for my AR44s. Most RTR have weak points.

I don't think people are hating when they talk about things breaking. People use stuff, things break and you talk about it. You share your experiences on what happened and what you did to fix it. it is not about hate.

Why don't you think you see more TRX axles?

I’ve got 8oz of brass on my front plastic housing that have taken the hard tumbles and still no breakage. 4oz of brass on the rear and same. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a spare housing in my case I take with me because there is. I’m not going to let a $9 housing ruin my day after driving a 2 hour round trip to wheel.
I’m not talking about people hating on them for breaking. Just the talk in general. I work on 1:1 cars for a living, trust me, I know things break.
I don’t think you see trx axles because they’re big and bulky, expensive to upgrade, poor steering angle and they’re not that aesthetically pleasing. I own a trx4, so I’m not just blowing smoke. It’s a great platform for what it is but axial axles are leaps and bounds over most IMO.
I’ve also owned a lot of ar44 rigs, again never broke any housings on those but I think the ssd housings are a great upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2021, 06:34 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Id love to see axial put out a kit version on the new bronco myself. I dont have n dont want any of the 'smart' system spektrum has, just doesnt appeal to me.

I remember my dad had multiple 66 to 77 broncos when i was a kid. We'd go out trail ridin on the weekends. Last one he had was a half cab. So a kit version would definantly peak my interest more than the rtr. More for the fun of the build n the memories me n dad had ridin around. Wish he lived closer, miss hangin out with him lol
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:45 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Default What's Axial up to?

Indybama, I’m with you after adding up what the body swap costs, it’s over $300 without wheels. Making it a $470 swap with axles and no wheels from what I have now.
I’ll wait for the kit version.
I too grew up bouncing around the back of a first gen Bronco, I’m fortunate enough to own that Bronco I road in as a kid to this day.

Last edited by Fricker08; 07-22-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Fricker08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

I'm a fan of pretty everything minus the electronics, and the tires. The wheels LOOK great, but would likely not be used because they're plastic. Maybe save them for display use...

So, a kit version is a must for me as well.

However, I have plenty of other vehicles to keep me occupied, so I probably won't get any Axial anything this year, at least.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:59 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

I wanted to try the 2in 1 rx/esc. I installed it in my Trail King last year and it has been stone reliable since day one. Tuned it with my Hobbywing card, and only parameter you cannot change is the servo voltage. I am running a Savox 0231, not crazy servo on the stock 3a bec. Also ran a 12t 550 brushed motor till it burned up on 3s. Now has a HH 16t Crawlmaster.

I wouldn't worry to much about electronics package, its not high end, but seems to be decent.

As much as I want to pick up this rig, I think I will wait for a while myself. The wife did say she likes the Torquoise...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:02 PM   #66
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I wanted to try the 2in 1 rx/esc. I installed it in my Trail King last year and it has been stone reliable since day one. Tuned it with my Hobbywing card, and only parameter you cannot change is the servo voltage. I am running a Savox 0231, not crazy servo on the stock 3a bec. Also ran a 12t 550 brushed motor till it burned up on 3s. Now has a HH 16t Crawlmaster.

I wouldn't worry to much about electronics package, its not high end, but seems to be decent.
What is the BEC voltage? I can see myself caving and getting a Horizon RTR for this truck. I’ve been swayed.
CamoColton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:03 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoColton View Post
What is the BEC voltage? I can see myself caving and getting a Horizon RTR for this truck. I’ve been swayed.
6 volts.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:08 AM   #68
Rock Stacker

Looks amazing, but not for me. So much stuff included that I would not need, like two-speed, DIG, LED lights, functioning doors, FIRMA electronics. If I am not missing something and couple lexan and sticker sheets truly cost 100$ when buying the external body separately then not looking forward to the kit version either.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:05 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

When will every one stop complaining about RTR electronics ? It's pointless ... RTR electronics will never be right for everyone, it's startup electronics, it's not tailored made for YOU, it's made for the most who don't give a shit and want to drive asap with more or less decent electronics they don't have to source ... use it, sell it, display it in a picture frame, or get a kit, it's up to you ... stop whinning about electronics that will never fit your tastes of the time no matter what's installed from factory.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:49 AM   #70
RCC Addict

Fricker, youre one lucky guy. Wish i had one of dads old broncos. Its not one of my dads old trucks, but i do have a truck i rode around in n even learned to drive in as a kid. My great uncle gave me a 87 f250 4x4 he bought new. It sat for 15 yrs after the fuel pump went out. Ive got her goin again, then blew a brake line lol.

Durok, i agree, dont much care for the plastic beadlocks, but they do look good. SSD makes a set of 5 slot beadlocks that look just like those. But theyre 6 lug, not 5

Growler, im with u buddy. The dig n 2 speed isnt nessassary for me either. Granted, they do have thier place in the rc world.
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:01 AM   #71
Rock Crawler

I absolutely LOVE Broncos. First gen, latest gen.....love 'em. I'm up to four versions of them. While I love the looks of this one, I've never been a fan of Axial's SCXIII "2 Spd or Dig.....One or the other but you can't have both". I like 2 spd, I like dig but why don't they include a 4 channel transmitter/receiver? Especially if they're going to do their latest where it's a 2-in-1? I have no problem with RTR electronics. Run them in few rigs. But why showcase a feature when you cannot support that feature with the way the set it up? I "may" be interested if this comes out as a kit, even at that, it may depend on the price.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:06 AM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
I’ve got 8oz of brass on my front plastic housing that have taken the hard tumbles and still no breakage. 4oz of brass on the rear and same. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a spare housing in my case I take with me because there is. I’m not going to let a $9 housing ruin my day after driving a 2 hour round trip to wheel.
I’m not talking about people hating on them for breaking. Just the talk in general. I work on 1:1 cars for a living, trust me, I know things break.
I don’t think you see trx axles because they’re big and bulky, expensive to upgrade, poor steering angle and they’re not that aesthetically pleasing. I own a trx4, so I’m not just blowing smoke. It’s a great platform for what it is but axial axles are leaps and bounds over most IMO.
I’ve also owned a lot of ar44 rigs, again never broke any housings on those but I think the ssd housings are a great upgrade.

I have the TRX axials on my C3. They don't turn as well but have done some dremel and they turn much better, still nothing like my Axial one piece. I have had these axles for close to 3 years. BUT I have broke one axle shaft at the steering link. But I have broken 2 AR44 on piece front axial housings, a c-hub multiple stock ring gears, on pinion all in the last year and 1/2 and a shaft at the steering joint. Now my ar44s are the axial three piece and the SSD Diamonds. BUT they don't steer like the stock one piece did.

The TRX do not look scale (but either do AR45s) and they are more bulky than AR45 and do not turn as well out of the box, even with working them probably not as good. BUT as far as expensive, doing my own little assessment the cost of owner ship on the TRX axles is MUCH less.

Many comps and trial rides I have been to a decent number of the 10iiis have failures (usually with dig or two speed) and out of the box the massive body is just too top heavy. Out of the box the 10ii variants seem to comp better than the 10iiis. Lighter bodies and just seem to work better.

Having selectable lockers does help the steering on the TRX4. People complain about the mini servos but I am set up so I can adjust the endpoints and have no issues. In some situations unlocking the diffs can help, others it can not help. Below is my C3 "TRX" build and it turns tight, unlocked it turns very tight. I just finished the 4WS and have been practicing. There have been two comps I wanted to take it to since I finished the 4ws but both have been rained out. I have an indoor one Saturday but it will have to compete in an open class, probably against some shafties and MOAs. I will be out gunned but still excited to see how it does.

I have it down to 6lbs 14 ounces.

MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:06 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think the real issue with portals was they were on the TRX4 and many in the more serious hobby side of this don't like Traxxas.
Got quite a few snide comments about my Traxxas this year at the PA G6, which is a first. Ironically, I wasn't even running portals (Has the SSD removal kit).
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:26 AM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Got quite a few snide comments about my Traxxas this year at the PA G6, which is a first. Ironically, I wasn't even running portals (Has the SSD removal kit).
When it comes to comp or more organized events good things are usually not said about Traxxas.

Years back Traxxas went after various manufactures in court dealing with design or copywrite issues. This upset many.

I believe that Traxxas takes better care of their retailers and does better marketing. The advanced people don't need to be marketed to, they know what they want, but us beginners do. That is why you see allot of beginners with TRXs but not so many of the more advanced group.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

I can see talking smack about the removal of the portals maybe but the axles and over all rig are pretty solid. I recommend noobs to buy a trx4 all the time, mine has seen more abuse than any rig should and it just keeps going.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:38 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I believe that Traxxas takes better care of their retailers and does better marketing.
I’d say yes on better marketing and not so much on the dealers. I know more than a few people who run shops and online stores and they would much prefer to sell you a Horizon product. A lot of them sell Traxxas begrudgingly because of public demand, not because they are the most dealer friendly.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I’d say yes on better marketing and not so much on the dealers. I know more than a few people who run shops and online stores and they would much prefer to sell you a Horizon product. A lot of them sell Traxxas begrudgingly because of public demand, not because they are the most dealer friendly.

That's kind of a surprise, unless things have changed in the last 5 years since I've gone from working for a hobby shop to my current "office" job, I always liked dealing with Traxxas over Horizon or GP on the customer service side of things, though Horizon was a close second.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

I suppose there could be a difference between who you wanted to sell based ones personals opinion of a product vs how well a company supports their retailers.

The store may prefer the products of one company but the support offered by another.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
When it comes to comp or more organized events good things are usually not said about Traxxas..... That is why you see allot of beginners with TRXs but not so many of the more advanced group.
Been in this hobby for a long time, I run what I like and really don't care who gets butthurt over it. Also why I don't comp. In any case, I'd never in a million years talk sh!t or make smartass comments about some stranger's truck to them. That's unbelievably ignorant.

Sorry this got veered off topic. My 2c - The Bronco looks pretty decent, but not at that price point.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
The 10.2 brass knuckles will bolt up to the ar45 straight axles. The problem is getting the hex pin in as it is a mm or so off from lining up. I’m thinking if one were to use the offset universals from incision/vp for the vs410 that it would fix this issue. Just a guess though, haven’t tried it myself as I no longer have a vs410.
Del Monte and I figured out the AR45 stub is 2mm longer than an AR44 stub from the center of the yoke to the face of the 10x15 bearing seat. To get AR44 brass knuckles to work on the AR45 axles we had to machine .080" off the stub to get the bearings in the same place and not bind up when steering.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote

What's Axial up to? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fun day at the (axial wraith rock race - scalers axial honcho - axial discovery) gionata78 Scale Videos! 1 08-06-2013 11:52 AM