Notices

Thread: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #661
RCC Addict

Default Re: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FScrawler View Post
It took me forever to figure out how to post pictures, and the pictures don't show up on my tablet only on my laptop?
If you use a tablet or smartphone to take your pictures, download the Tapatalk app from the App Store. You can upload your pictures directly into Tapatalk from your tablet or smartphone without having to use a third-party host. It is super fast and super easy.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #662
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongol Pete View Post
Thanks for your patience.

I think I figured out how to post pictures. Here is my snapped front driveshaft.

[IMG][/IMG]
Like I said that is a first. As mentioned a bad bind or tumble would cause something like that. Only other thing I can think of is stress from the wheel area. Like tons of weight in the wheels. Or just a crazy fluke.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:11 PM   #663

Has anyone put on the new 390 motor and axle housings? Looking to upgrade my V1
hutchinstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:13 PM   #664
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinstuff View Post
Has anyone put on the new 390 motor and axle housings? Looking to upgrade my V1
You need the new 390 motor plate then it a easy swap.

Besides the axle housings the axle shafts are different, need new hexes. The lockouts and c-hubs and knuckles might be different I haven't looked in to them.
Edit: just looked there is no difference in gen 2 and gen 1 lockouts and c-hub & knuckles. But you need the steering links cause of the wider housings. Which you can get everything in the doomsday link set it has lowers, uppers, and steering li ks.

The other thing is you need the upper links since the new housings are set up for 4 link and not the y-link like the gen1 barrage.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 04-17-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:20 PM   #665
Quarry Creeper

I've seen at least one mention of the possibility of a 'bad batch' of driveshafts on the BTD kit version. I certainly seem to have gotten a weak set. Has anyone else snapped driveshafts with the BTD or other variants of the Barrage?

I'll post here to report how the replacements from Horizon hold up once they finish their epic journey across the earth, apparently in a hot air balloon.

-MP
Mongol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #666
I wanna be Dave

Dirty Steve is back on the trail! Got the new Axial VVD's today and swapped them in right quick. I was also able to get a bit more trail cut in this week, in spite of the S--T weather! When the hell is Spring coming!? Anyway, I'll post some more pics of the new trail sections when I get them cleaned up more. I've also got to create a couple bridges or log overs. Not sure which I'll do yet. I do prefer using natural materials though.

I'm also going to be starting a Wraith rock bouncer build over in the Wraith threads. (Wraith based rock bouncer thread) I ordered one of those Wraith rock bouncer tube chassis on FleaBay and it actually looks pretty good. Thinking I'm going to do a true trailing arm in the rear as well. I mocked up my old Losi Baja Rey stock trailing arms to a Wraith skid and it looks pretty sick. I had to clearence the aluminum Wraith skid quite a bit with a dremel since the trailing arm ends are much wider than links. Anyway, no need to go on about it here, but if you're interested check it out over in the Wraith section. Not a lot of info on it yet, but I'll steadily post updates.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #667
I wanna be Dave

As promised, here are some pics of the trail extension with some new log overs. I've also added some rock garden features. I know I should be posting this in backyard courses, and I will, but extending my network all kinda started with Dirty Steve so..................

It's a bit hard to tell from the pics, but it now runs all the way down the hill to the flat, and loops around that big tree down there. Eventually, it will keep going all the way to the back.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2018, 05:18 PM   #668
I wanna be Dave

@hobbyjumper - Thanks Bud! It’s definitely nice having it right out back. I just wish some of my buddies would pick up some crawlers, particularly Barrage’s since they’re so economical.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #669
I wanna be Dave

I got some additional trail cut today and also cleaned up my existing stuff quite a bit. These sections here are on the opposite side of my yard from the stuff I cut the other day and posted here. The culvert section and creek crossing with rocks has been there. I cut in this new line headed down to it, or up from it depending on which way you run it. The existing up and down line that you've seen in some of my other pics is just beyond all that scrub down and to the left in the 1st pic. The second pic is pan right and leads in to my rock pile / rock garden section. Then it's a quick run across the grass and up the hill to the sections I posted the other day. All in all it's coming along pretty well. Once I get the other side run all the way in to the back, I'll link everything up for one big loop!
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #670
I wanna be Dave

Dirty Steve working the rocks and ruts on a climb.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #671
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Economical...on the surface.

After you make the mandatory Barrage upgrades, you look at your wallet and say, shoot, might as well have splurged on a Honcho. Then again, if you'd gone the Honcho route you'd have upgraded it too. Might as well have bought the Cherokee. Of course, you would have modded it as well. Now you're out 700 bills and just getting started.

But friends we're trying to suck into the hobby don't need to know this. Let them find out for themselves.
EXACTLY! Once they've got the affliction/addiction, all bets are off!
Old 04-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #672
I wanna be Dave

@hillbillyrc - I believe you were asking me about the generic Austar Swampers earlier in these threads. I've been playing around with them a bit and doing some comparisons to my PitBull RockBeasts on Dirty Steve. I gotta say, they work pretty darn well overall! I did vent them with a leather punch. 4 holes in the fronts and 2 holes in the rears. I also pre-scuffed them a bit with a sanding pad. On the rocks, I'd give the advantage to the Pitbulls. On the dirt however, I'd say they're equally matched, if not a slight advantage to the Swampers. I was pretty shocked. I did repeated back to back hill climbs with both sets. That new trail I cut in yesterday is steep, deep and loose. The Swampers just seemed to bite in to the loose soil better. You can score them readily on Ebay for $37 set of 4 with beadlock wheels. Not too bad to have for an extra set of wheels/tires.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:50 AM   #673
RCC Addict

The new gen 2 should be more budget friendly since they fixed most if not all the issues that the gen1 had. Or the doomsday is another choice if your planning on Changing the body and wheel/tire combo. The doomsday is seen prices at 150 nib. I thinking about getting one with at price.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #674
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
@hillbillyrc - I believe you were asking me about the generic Austar Swampers earlier in these threads. I've been playing around with them a bit and doing some comparisons to my PitBull RockBeasts on Dirty Steve. I gotta say, they work pretty darn well overall! I did vent them with a leather punch. 4 holes in the fronts and 2 holes in the rears. I also pre-scuffed them a bit with a sanding pad. On the rocks, I'd give the advantage to the Pitbulls. On the dirt however, I'd say they're equally matched, if not a slight advantage to the Swampers. I was pretty shocked. I did repeated back to back hill climbs with both sets. That new trail I cut in yesterday is steep, deep and loose. The Swampers just seemed to bite in to the loose soil better. You can score them readily on Ebay for $37 set of 4 with beadlock wheels. Not too bad to have for an extra set of wheels/tires.
Thanks I have a set I'm watching on eBay. Haven't pulled the trigger yet tho.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #675
Quarry Creeper

Spools and servo definitely needs change on V2/BTD/Doomsday
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #676
RCC Addict

Really the spool and steering servo are must upgrades for any rtr. Imho
Old 04-26-2018, 05:35 AM   #677
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
The new gen 2 should be more budget friendly since they fixed most if not all the issues that the gen1 had. Or the doomsday is another choice if your planning on Changing the body and wheel/tire combo. The doomsday is seen prices at 150 nib. I thinking about getting one with at price.
Ive got the doomsday. The stock body is hideous, but the stock tires actually work WAY better than they have any right to work! On the rocks, everyone who saw it was impressed. I think thats partly the super light weight, plus the tires are impressively sticky, I had expected them to be the normal rock hard rubber "monster truck" tires, but they are not....
But..... I still changed them, simply because I really like the pro-line BFG AT KO2's on my 2.2 rig (maxstone 10) so I got the 1.9 version for my barrage, plus some proline 1.9 beadlocks (sooooo many screws....). I also changed the body to a stampede body, removed the rock catcher front bumper, moved the rear bumper to the front, and moved the battery tray to the front. So really, I guess I cant call it a doomsday anymore, its just a barrage Gen 2. Its simply amazing the difference tires and a body can make....

$20 for the body, and $120 in tires/beadlocks, plus $150 for the truck, and im in this thing $270.... I look at that and think "hmmm, I could have almost had the kit scx10.2..."
But of course, thats a false premise, because in reality, I likely would have been replacing the wheels and tires anyway. I might have been able to get a few bucks for the axial bfg's (the few comparisons I have seen say the pro-lines are better) Plus of course, I would need a radio, esc, servo, and motor, so $309+120 (wheels/tires) plus $50 (radio), $30 (servo) $35 (motor and esc) so $544 total, plus tax and maybe shipping, so call it $575... Of course I could just go with the RTR, but then I still need better wheels/tires.....
(To those who say just keep the kit tires, I say no way. Im always amazed how people spend hundreds on these things and then try to cheap out on the tires. Im making a concession going with scale tires rather than just trying to get the best tires I can, so I want every possible advantage....)

Suddenly, $270 (ok $300 once I upgrade the servo) doesnt sound so bad....

For what I bought it for, I am 100% happy with my barrage. I have a maxtone 10 with 2.2 pro-line BFG at KO2's and rear steer. I wanted a second truck for my daughter or wife to drive with me, I could have simply gone with a second maxstone 10 and set them up the same, but my wife and daughter, not being RC people, are pretty terrible drivers, so I figured with me driving a 10" WB on 1.9's, then driving a 13" WB on 2.2's, they at least have a chance of keeping up with me, reducing frustration for all...

As far as performance, I have been really impressed with this truck, to the point that I dont feel the need to add weight to the front tires (I added 6oz to the front of my maxstone 10) I think one of the reasons this truck performs so well is the light weight. The only limitation I have found is places where a 10" wheelbase is just too short....

I will likely get an scx10.2 eventually, but for now, I am glad I saved a couple hundred $$ and got the barrage....
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:29 AM   #678
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Ive got the doomsday. The stock body is hideous, but the stock tires actually work WAY better than they have any right to work! On the rocks, everyone who saw it was impressed. I think thats partly the super light weight, plus the tires are impressively sticky, I had expected them to be the normal rock hard rubber "monster truck" tires, but they are not....
But..... I still changed them, simply because I really like the pro-line BFG AT KO2's on my 2.2 rig (maxstone 10) so I got the 1.9 version for my barrage, plus some proline 1.9 beadlocks (sooooo many screws....). I also changed the body to a stampede body, removed the rock catcher front bumper, moved the rear bumper to the front, and moved the battery tray to the front. So really, I guess I cant call it a doomsday anymore, its just a barrage Gen 2. Its simply amazing the difference tires and a body can make....

$20 for the body, and $120 in tires/beadlocks, plus $150 for the truck, and im in this thing $270.... I look at that and think "hmmm, I could have almost had the kit scx10.2..."
But of course, thats a false premise, because in reality, I likely would have been replacing the wheels and tires anyway. I might have been able to get a few bucks for the axial bfg's (the few comparisons I have seen say the pro-lines are better) Plus of course, I would need a radio, esc, servo, and motor, so $309+120 (wheels/tires) plus $50 (radio), $30 (servo) $35 (motor and esc) so $544 total, plus tax and maybe shipping, so call it $575... Of course I could just go with the RTR, but then I still need better wheels/tires.....
(To those who say just keep the kit tires, I say no way. Im always amazed how people spend hundreds on these things and then try to cheap out on the tires. Im making a concession going with scale tires rather than just trying to get the best tires I can, so I want every possible advantage....)

Suddenly, $270 (ok $300 once I upgrade the servo) doesnt sound so bad....

For what I bought it for, I am 100% happy with my barrage. I have a maxtone 10 with 2.2 pro-line BFG at KO2's and rear steer. I wanted a second truck for my daughter or wife to drive with me, I could have simply gone with a second maxstone 10 and set them up the same, but my wife and daughter, not being RC people, are pretty terrible drivers, so I figured with me driving a 10" WB on 1.9's, then driving a 13" WB on 2.2's, they at least have a chance of keeping up with me, reducing frustration for all...

As far as performance, I have been really impressed with this truck, to the point that I dont feel the need to add weight to the front tires (I added 6oz to the front of my maxstone 10) I think one of the reasons this truck performs so well is the light weight. The only limitation I have found is places where a 10" wheelbase is just too short....

I will likely get an scx10.2 eventually, but for now, I am glad I saved a couple hundred $$ and got the barrage....
Very nice. I liked my rgt (barrage) just couldn't leave it alone. Lol

I actually have a plan for a doomsday that includes keeping the stock body, taking the ugly mad max doodads off and a putting on a set of axial trepadros on it. And maybe run it in a semi-droop setup so it sits low and ratty.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:08 AM   #679
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 1.9 Barrage RTR and BTD and Gen 2 1/10 Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Someone mentioned that we should have our own section. I couldn’t agree more, so we don't have to stuff everything into this thread, making it hard to find things.
Yea, I started a thread about that, and was told ecx doesn't get its own forum because they are "cheap" and dont win comps or have a big aftermarket following.....

When I pointed out that the wheely king and duratrax cliff climber have their own forums and dont exactly win comps or have a big aftermarket, they deleted my thread.....
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:33 AM   #680
Slow is the new Fast

FWIW. I don’t own a Barrage, but would like to see it have its own sub-forum.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote