Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #1441
Rock Crawler

Default shaft question

i just picked up two Crawlmaster Sports -- Planning to use them in a scale 1/6th Rubicon Clod.

I'm curious John if you've ever had anyone complain or discuss bent shafts when the motors are used in this fashion. I know your site indicated they could be used in a clod.

My concerns are this: I bought two used Hyperion 3013-14 outrunners intially(very similar to the crawlmaster sport), used from a member on the forum. He got them used from another and didn't know much about them and therefore the asking price was CHEAP (these are normally a bit more expensive than a crawlmaster). He agreed if there was anything wrong with them to refund.

I got them and installed - turns out both had bent shafts. I returned for refund. They were initially 5mm shafts, but had been turned down by someone along the way to 3.17mm.

I don't know but I assumed the shafts got bent in a Clod because the cans were scraped up (from dragging across rocks possibly?). Figure that same scraping also places pressure on the can and that could bend a 3.17mm shaft i assumed, espeically that the shaft has some material removed to flatten for set-screw, making it all the thinner/weaker.

So i bought the crawlmasters but now i'm worried i'll trash them on the rocks by bending the shaft in the same manner that the Hyperions were bent.

Looking at your crawlmasters, looks like they originate with a 5mm shaft and you must have them turned down to 3.17mm and flat side added for set-screw as well.

1. Do you know of anyone who has brought to your attention bending of shaft when used in a clod? Or do you feel the potential for bent shafts is significant used in a heavy clod crawler.

2. If I returned these crawlmasters to you, would you be able to exchange them for crawlmaster motors that haven't been turned down, and still have 5mm shafts?

Thanks John, I'm just guessing with a full 5mm shaft there is little chance of bending the shaft --- and i have the 5mm bore 12tooth pinions that would work well for my rig (on 4s lipos).

My clod weighs 15.5lbs so i'm thinking so much weight will easily bend the smaller 3.17mm shafts if there's alot of rock-rub going on --- was thinking of trying to add a skid plate below the motors, but it may just be easier to get ahold of outrunners with 5mm shafts

Thanks either way, Ron

Last edited by WRXronald; 03-03-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #1442
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmith751 View Post
John - I am probably missing something, but I had looked at your write-up last night. Not sure to tell the north and south poles to line-up the brushes. By accident I moved my end cap and want to make sure I am at zero or slightly advanced. Sorry if I am missing something obvious. Thanks!
The bigger cutouts on the can are where the brushes will line up- in the middle of the cutout. For advanced timing the motor will speed up a bit. If the motor is rotating clockwise, the endbell needs to be moved counterclockwise in relation to the can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
John, if I was to order 40t for my axial comp rig what would the time frame be in recieving it?
Right now I don't have any teardowns. When I have them it is generally a 2 week wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodJosh View Post
Any word on the Hyperion XH balancer adapter availability? I just purchased a 606I and the balancer that came with it doesn't match up with my batteries.
Unless there is a way to wire it up? They are CKRC 3S lipos with an Align/Electrifly type plug.
Thanks!
I have them in stock now. Otherwise you could plug it into the 4s HP multi tap slot with the negative wire closest to the 4s imprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXronald View Post
i just picked up two Crawlmaster Sports -- Planning to use them in a scale 1/6th Rubicon Clod.

I'm curious John if you've ever had anyone complain or discuss bent shafts when the motors are used in this fashion. I know your site indicated they could be used in a clod.

My concerns are this: I bought two used Hyperion 3013-14 outrunners intially(very similar to the crawlmaster sport), used from a member on the forum. He got them used from another and didn't know much about them and therefore the asking price was CHEAP (these are normally a bit more expensive than a crawlmaster). He agreed if there was anything wrong with them to refund.

I got them and installed - turns out both had bent shafts. I returned for refund. They were initially 5mm shafts, but had been turned down by someone along the way to 3.17mm.

I don't know but I assumed the shafts got bent in a Clod because the cans were scraped up (from dragging across rocks possibly?). Figure that same scraping also places pressure on the can and that could bend a 3.17mm shaft i assumed, espeically that the shaft has some material removed to flatten for set-screw, making it all the thinner/weaker.

So i bought the crawlmasters but now i'm worried i'll trash them on the rocks by bending the shaft in the same manner that the Hyperions were bent.

Looking at your crawlmasters, looks like they originate with a 5mm shaft and you must have them turned down to 3.17mm and flat side added for set-screw as well.

1. Do you know of anyone who has brought to your attention bending of shaft when used in a clod? Or do you feel the potential for bent shafts is significant used in a heavy clod crawler.

2. If I returned these crawlmasters to you, would you be able to exchange them for crawlmaster motors that haven't been turned down, and still have 5mm shafts?

Thanks John, I'm just guessing with a full 5mm shaft there is little chance of bending the shaft --- and i have the 5mm bore 12tooth pinions that would work well for my rig (on 4s lipos).

My clod weighs 15.5lbs so i'm thinking so much weight will easily bend the smaller 3.17mm shafts if there's alot of rock-rub going on --- was thinking of trying to add a skid plate below the motors, but it may just be easier to get ahold of outrunners with 5mm shafts

Thanks either way, Ron
The hyperion motors were turned down after the hardening process. The Crawlmaster shafts were made with the neckdown, then hardened. I have only heard of one instance where the shaft bent on a CM, and it was from a rock getting in there. I can certainly provide some 5mm shafts if you want them, but I dont think you will need them.

The worst issue from beating the motors on the rocks is that you can knock magnets loose or weaken them.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #1443
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

The hyperion motors were turned down after the hardening process. The Crawlmaster shafts were made with the neckdown, then hardened. I have only heard of one instance where the shaft bent on a CM, and it was from a rock getting in there. I can certainly provide some 5mm shafts if you want them, but I dont think you will need them.

The worst issue from beating the motors on the rocks is that you can knock magnets loose or weaken them.
Ok that was what i was hoping to hear ---- I wondered that maybe turning the shaft after construction would weaken the metal. Glad to hear yours are made with the 'thought in mind' to be turned down so the hardening is held over until after that process.

I'll hold from now on the 5mm shafts and see how the 3.17mm's work out (this way i can really gear down to the 9tooth pinions). That was another thing i noticed, it almost looks like the shaft could be swapped on these Crawlmasters (secured by set-screw and e-type clip), would that be accurate?

If so I have to say that is brilliant --- any damage to shaft and you don't have an all out loss on the motor, just rebuild motor with new shaft. That is why the hyperions got send back -- i couldn't see how i was gonna rebuild or source new shafts for them.

Thanks for the info --- very helpful !!!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #1444

Yep, the shaft is replaceable. Take off the eclips and the motor comes apart. Loosen up the screws and then you can use a 4.7mm punch to push out the old shaft with a drill press or rubber mallet.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #1445
Quarry Creeper

John,

You told me to email you regarding a refund on some berg pinions, but i have heard no response when i sent my request through your website, please let me know what email address is best to contact you through

Thanks

Kolby
Old 03-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #1446
Rock Crawler

Do you know when these will be back instock?

Holmes Hobbies 25C 1300mah lipo 3S Packs
Old 03-05-2009, 06:49 AM   #1447

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman128 View Post
John,

You told me to email you regarding a refund on some berg pinions, but i have heard no response when i sent my request through your website, please let me know what email address is best to contact you through

Thanks

Kolby
You should have a refund now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDcrawler72 View Post
Do you know when these will be back instock?

Holmes Hobbies 25C 1300mah lipo 3S Packs
I am waiting on the factory, it may be a few weeks out still.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #1448
Rock Crawler

Default How big of servos is big enough

I'M BUILDING MY FIRST CRAWLER IT IS A SUPER I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SERVOS WOULD BE BEST FOR MY RIG...HERE IS A PIX OF IT PLEASE LET ME KNOW... YOU CAN EMAIL ME THE ANSWER OR I WILL LOOK AGAIN AFTER WORK... THANKS JEFF..
Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #1449
Quarry Creeper

Default Got a question

I am having a problem with my rig shutting down now since installed my HH7t, what could be causing this? Here is what i got as far as electronics.

ESC: Fxr
SERVO: Hitec645mg
BEC: CC BEC
BATT: Elite 1500 2/3A 7 cell

AUX port: Light kit (got 4 white lights, 2 red lights, 2 blue lights.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #1450
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have them in stock now. Otherwise you could plug it into the 4s HP multi tap slot with the negative wire closest to the 4s imprint.
Thanks John!!!
I ordered one......thanks for the great service.....hard to find these days.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #1451

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangboy_347 View Post
I'M BUILDING MY FIRST CRAWLER IT IS A SUPER I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT SERVOS WOULD BE BEST FOR MY RIG...HERE IS A PIX OF IT PLEASE LET ME KNOW... YOU CAN EMAIL ME THE ANSWER OR I WILL LOOK AGAIN AFTER WORK... THANKS JEFF..
Hitec 5995s are what I always ran, but Futaba and JR both have very high power servos available. Anything above 300 ounce/inches will be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer6504x4 View Post
I am having a problem with my rig shutting down now since installed my HH7t, what could be causing this? Here is what i got as far as electronics.

ESC: Fxr
SERVO: Hitec645mg
BEC: CC BEC
BATT: Elite 1500 2/3A 7 cell

AUX port: Light kit (got 4 white lights, 2 red lights, 2 blue lights.
Is the FXR thermalling? If you release the throttle it will give you flashes that show the temp. What is running the lights, the FXR or CC BEC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodJosh View Post
Thanks John!!!
I ordered one......thanks for the great service.....hard to find these days.
I will get it out asap!
'
Old 03-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #1452
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Hitec 5995s are what I always ran, but Futaba and JR both have very high power servos available. Anything above 300 ounce/inches will be great.

Is the FXR thermalling? If you release the throttle it will give you flashes that show the temp. What is running the lights, the FXR or CC BEC?

I will get it out asap!
'
No the fxr is not thermalling. Well i just rewired the rig and got the CCbec running straight to the servo(not going through the rx)And the only thing that is going from the servo to the Rx is just the signal wire. Well now it does not glich like it did before. But now the servo only works when it is sittin still, when you apply the throttle the servo acts real erratic and the front tires try to recenter. This is all really weird to me. thanks for your help john.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM   #1453

Thats kinda crazy! What kind of radio?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #1454
Quarry Creeper

Dx 3.0
Old 03-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #1455
I wanna be Dave

JRH... Does your site tell when you are out of something?

I need a Tekin FXR, a CC BEC, and some of your silicone wire. Do you have all that in stock?

And... what gauge wire do you suggest for wiring a berg ?

Thanks
Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM   #1456
Quarry Creeper

John, I finally got my eletrical issues worked out (the servo was not grounded to the Rx). Now I just want to know is this normal or do i have something set wrong on my Dx 3.0. It seems to me that my cobalt 7t runs faster in reverse than it does in forward. And also it sounds like the motor is turning alot more rpms in reverse to.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #1457
RCC Addict

You wouldn't happen to have a ETA on your new batch of ProWound 540's would you? Thanks for you time.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #1458
Holmes Hobbies

I just placed an order for 2 55's but if your going to get some 45's in,I can wait.I added a note to my order #3175.Thank You CD
Old 03-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #1459
Quarry Creeper

So JeremyH got a 7t puller and now I want one.

I'm plannign on getting either a mamba max or fxr. I stil dont know which one. but I know the 7t puller will work with the mamba max, would it also work with my rooster crawler edition?
Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #1460
Pebble Pounder

Mr Holmes, thanks for getting my new p-94 and sidewinder to me, it was like freakin Christmas when they got here. Just wondering if I can order extra brushes and springs yet. I know you said the p-94 was discontinued so I would like a extra set of brushes, and maybe a couple of batteries a new charger a bec etc etc etc.... Thanks
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM