Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: T.O.R.C. tuber - build log

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #41
I joined the Band!

STUPID question here!! About your rock rings. Will the tires mount without glue. Have not seen beadlocks yet in person do not know exactly how they work???
skullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullking View Post
STUPID question here!! About your rock rings. Will the tires mount without glue. Have not seen beadlocks yet in person do not know exactly how they work???
I dont think his rock rings are a beadlock. you would need full on beadlock rims for that.
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullking View Post
No, they will not mount without glue. They are purely for looks. I have made a set of beadlocks using the electrical washers. They did not have to be glued, but were a royal PITA to build. Lots of info on home made beadlocks in this thread...
How-To: Functional 2.2 Beadlocks for under $30
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Default Getting Close!!

Got some more work done. The chassis is painted with three coats of metallic silver and two coats of clear. The body panels are lexan with carbon fiber stickers on the inside of the lexan, and trimmed Wheely King stickers. Also made some limiting straps out of shoe laces that limit the droop and flex. The shocks have 1,000 weight oil in them and no springs.
Got the rock rings painted and mounted and the foams trimmed. There is 3oz of stick on weight in the front tires and 2oz in the rear. Gears are 96T spur and 15T pinion with a 65T lathe motor. Still need to build a battery mount and mount the rest of the electronics. Here are some poser pics...

And full flex...

soooo.... watcha think??
Old 06-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #45
Moderator Rule Breaker

The thing sucks ! I will pm ya my addy so you can send to me I will dispose of it for ya.. this thing is very pimp !!!! check out my sig, if you want to go to comps and don't mind driving.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Looks great! That's some nice work.
J Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Nice lookin tuber
miniwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys, wasn't sure about the carbon fiber look, but I think it turned out alright.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Thanks guys, wasn't sure about the carbon fiber look, but I think it turned out alright.
how did you do it?
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net View Post
how did you do it?
It's actually a sticker that sticks to the inside of the lexan so that it's protected. Found it while trying to get ideas at the local hobby shop. Works great!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

get it done and let us know how it crawls and how that droop setup works out
Old 06-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

^^^ I'm working on my battery mount, then it should be ready to wheel. Also, still can't decide between the rear steer or front dig. Any ideas?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Well, I have done them both on my crawler. I think non crawler people think the dig has more of a cool factor. Plus it is legal if we happen to end up in a comp somewhere. I did my dig with max shafts and just dremeled the small channel on the male end to be the same size as the large channel. I can shift on the fly and it hasnt missed an engagement yet.

I didnt give the 4ws enough of a servo and it kept having servo holding problems. It would turn around in a 3ft circle though! It prolly helped more than the dig, but like I said the stock WK servo didnt have enough guts.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Looks great...I am running CF on my hustler as well....looks killer!!
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

what do you use for your links
upoveryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
Looks great...I am running CF on my hustler as well....looks killer!!
Thanks, I wasn't real sure about how it would turn out, but I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upoveryou View Post
what do you use for your links
I used carbon fiber arrow tube and inserts from the local archery shop. Just cut the carbon shafts to length, then glue the inserts into each end, and thread the ball ends in.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Finally got her running. I still need to put on the rear steer and zip tie my wires up out of the way. The droop set up with 1,000 weight diff lube in the stock WK shocks is working great. It also works much better with limiting straps that limit the amount of center droop. This keeps the axle from walking under the buggy when trying to climb a ledge, and also limits the articulation some too. With the slower movement of the shocks from the 1,000w oil I can float a tire across a hole with a little throttle before the suspension allows the tire to fall into it. So far I'm loving the set up. I also re-geared to a 96/13 and its just right for the kind of wheeling I do. Nice slow crawling, but still has enough wheel speed when I need it. The Mashers are working pretty well, I star cut the foams and grooved the center of the foam too. Gives just the right amount of tire flex IMO. I also put 3oz of weight in the front tire and 2oz in the rear. Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share what's working for me.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Great Job...
Sinastir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Finally got her running. I still need to put on the rear steer and zip tie my wires up out of the way. The droop set up with 1,000 weight diff lube in the stock WK shocks is working great. It also works much better with limiting straps that limit the amount of center droop. This keeps the axle from walking under the buggy when trying to climb a ledge, and also limits the articulation some too. With the slower movement of the shocks from the 1,000w oil I can float a tire across a hole with a little throttle before the suspension allows the tire to fall into it. So far I'm loving the set up. I also re-geared to a 96/13 and its just right for the kind of wheeling I do. Nice slow crawling, but still has enough wheel speed when I need it. The Mashers are working pretty well, I star cut the foams and grooved the center of the foam too. Gives just the right amount of tire flex IMO. I also put 3oz of weight in the front tire and 2oz in the rear. Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share what's working for me.
I cut my foams in a channel pattern but no star. Have yet to put in airsoft pellets. Is the 3oz front 2 oz rear weight you used pellets or something else and is that the normal starting point?

Your chassis looks better everytime I check back on this thread so I gotta ask a bunch of ?'s in one reply so I wont make myself rebuild my turd outta envy.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:44 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the positive comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SACCO View Post
Is the 3oz front 2 oz rear weight you used pellets or something else and is that the normal starting point?
I used stick on wheel weights ( the kind you get at the tire shop ) and 3oz was about the most I could fit in the front, and I wanted the rear a little lighter so I went with 2oz. I'm not sure what the best weight per tire is, but I didn't want to get too heavy and put a ton of strain on the axles.It's working great for me! Again, no comps around here, just backyard bashing.