Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: Official 4x4allstar Chit Chat Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Just finished up the lower links... Im looking at 12 1/4" wb with 3" of belly clearance without the tires mounted yet. Still have to work on shock mounts and a steering mount... I really should do a build thread but then I would have people asking me to build one for them.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Just finished up the lower links... Im looking at 12 1/4" wb with 3" of belly clearance without the tires mounted yet. Still have to work on shock mounts and a steering mount... I really should do a build thread but then I would have people asking me to build one for them.
What brand electronics and parts are you using? Hey what are you going to do with your blue truck? I thought bent links front and rear on a stick chassis would be better for clearence. Oh well. I just plan on getting a new body for mine since mine current one has to many holes in it now. Also I want a jr racing 3 channel fm controller with a dig and a mini servo besides other crystals. I was told by a vendor that the tq3 doesn't have end adjustment for servos so you could burn up servos with that radio. A guy I know that is a pro used to use a jr fm 3 channel pistol grip radio. That's why I want to go with that one. I haven't been on here much because I was staying out of town in a motel for most of the week.
4x4allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

I am using CC sidewinder and BEC, JR servo, Spektrum radio, what ever mini servo I have laying around, no name switches. Shocks will be traxxas. most of the other parts will all be hand made. Right now Im working on figuring out the shocks.

You can add epa's to the tq3 but, people have been using them for years without burning up servos. Using them for dig is very similar to using them for shifting and they work perfect for that.

Im either going to sell my current truck or strip it apart for a scaler.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:44 AM   #64
Pebble Pounder

For a radio ya need to find a JR XS3, it's 3 channel, synthesized(no crystals) and the 3rd channel works great for dig being that it has end point adjustments for the dig! That's what I used before the radio I have now. Oh yeah and ya can find them pretty cheap on e-bay or any rc site classifieds too!
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaracing View Post
For a radio ya need to find a JR XS3, it's 3 channel, synthesized(no crystals) and the 3rd channel works great for dig being that it has end point adjustments for the dig! That's what I used before the radio I have now. Oh yeah and ya can find them pretty cheap on e-bay or any rc site classifieds too!
Well I would buy one new not used. You don't know how long it will last if it's used plus it may be in worse condition than in a picture on a ad on ebay. I got suckered on a used clod buster before on ebay. They put a very small picture of it so people couldn't see how messed up it was until they got it. It did run when I got it but The body was junk and it had some of the parts painted chrome and about all the chrome was flaked off.
Jetboat I would of used the parts from your blue truck on the stick then the rest you don't use sell it. That way you wouldn't of have to bought as many new parts and you won't lose so much money from just selling all the parts off at a loss. I'll see if I can look into the tq3 radio more.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4allstar View Post
A guy I know that is a pro used to use a jr fm 3 channel pistol grip radio. That's why I want to go with that one.
If you were cool you would go with the greatest radio in the world:
Attached Images

Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaracing View Post
I didn't know that the jr radio was synthesized. Does that mean they automatically change channels if someone is on the same channel as you or what?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #68

Very Funny Cedric The Entertainer. I don't like stick radios and that dx6 is to expensive for me. I like how you put my screen name in the controllers digital read out. Ha,ha. Ced you should do something with the talent you have.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #69

Napolenian Dynamite Sucked and that actor is gay.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
If you were cool you would go with the greatest radio in the world:

EXACTLY. I even have been seeing already MODDED lightly used DX6 radios with an RX going for $100 on multiple boards. CHEAP.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150998

BTW...CED....I have been working all day on that Warhead conversion. I just went to power up and set the ESC to the radio, and NOTHING. No beeps. No whirring. Only a few lights. This thing was ready to GO...and now I am back to waiting. Castle says that the swap unit will ship on Monday. I had a goal in mind to have all my existing projects finished by the new year.

RC18T: All repaired, and steering upgraded. (Finished)

Matrix: Repaired, and new Slash body. (All is working... need to paint the body. It mounted up NICELY on the 1/8th buggy....like it was meant to be there.)

Warhead: Convert to brushless (Waiting on ESC otherwise DONE)

Crawler: Maintenance (On-going)

Last edited by xirtic; 12-26-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Matrix Status
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:37 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

I figured out the suspension, machined the parts and proceedd to break 2 drill bits in the first part... its in the oven heating..hopefully I can get the bits out.

Ax10 parts wont work with the stick.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #72
RCC Addict

For those of us who do not own a machine shop....did you guys see the little $6 jig in the vendor section that is a piece of steel that fits over 5/16" round stock and centers the hole that you need to drill for the link ends??? That has been my biggest frustration with making my own links....centering that hole. I know that it is a simple little nothing, but for those of us with a simple drill, this little jig will make making 5/16" links a whole lot easier. I ordered one.

Last edited by xirtic; 12-26-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

I thought he upped the price to $7.50....

Back in the day when I made my links from solid aluminum, I drilled out a piece of solid steel... started with a pilot hole in the size I wanted my hole to be and then drilled half thru with a bit teh size of rod I was using. I even put a set screw in it... Made life ALLOT easier.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #74
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
I thought he upped the price to $7.50....

Back in the day when I made my links from solid aluminum, I drilled out a piece of solid steel... started with a pilot hole in the size I wanted my hole to be and then drilled half thru with a bit teh size of rod I was using. I even put a set screw in it... Made life ALLOT easier.
If he upped the price, I would have paid that as well. He invoiced me a few days back for $6.....$7.50 is still great for those of us that cannot mill.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:53 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
BTW...CED....I have been working all day on that Warhead conversion. I just went to power up and set the ESC to the radio, and NOTHING. No beeps. No whirring. Only a few lights. This thing was ready to GO...and now I am back to waiting. Castle says that the swap unit will ship on Monday.
Frustrating.... Castle is pretty good with returns/warranty issues. Is this a Mamba Monster? There's been a few problems with version 2, they now have a version 3 out, all problems should be resolved, hopefully they take care of you in a timely manner
Old 12-26-2008, 07:55 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4allstar View Post
Napolenian Dynamite Sucked and that actor is gay.
Napoleon is pure pimp!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
Frustrating.... Castle is pretty good with returns/warranty issues. Is this a Mamba Monster? There's been a few problems with version 2, they now have a version 3 out, all problems should be resolved, hopefully they take care of you in a timely manner
The Matrix has a version 2...and it is going strong. The Warhead was getting a version 3.....did not even boot once....no beeps, and smelled the electrics.

The cust service at Castle said that a SWAP will be sent out on Monday.

I am excited to paint the SLASH body that I mounted on the Matrix Buggy....it looks good on there.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:10 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Christmas candy anyone?

Old 12-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Are those chocolate & PB bars????
Old 12-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
Are those chocolate & PB bars????
Yup, about 1/2 what was there yesterday.