Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Hey, look. Another jeep!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Hey, look. Another jeep!

very nice build! i would love to build one someday!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyprojects View Post
very nice build! i would love to build one someday!
+1
BONDONUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys, got a quick update.... cagework is pretty close to completion, now this thing is starting to get some personality.

brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Looking good cant wait to see it completed
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #45
Pebble Pounder

nice build chris
jscalecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Wow I want a cage like that ....... no seriously when I thought about the cage for my Willy's build this is what I envisioned it should look like. Awesome work its going to be a work of art whens its done
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #47
RCP CRAWLERS

love the cage work!!!
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Where did this build go ........
Old 09-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Sorry guys, I got a little torn away by real life. Plus I've been broke as hell lately, so progress has been pretty slow. But I do have enough material to get the links worked out and figure out shock locations.( I need to check out how some of you guys attached the brackets for the upper links to the frame.)

So I need to get some rod cut and tapped so I can get this thing moving again.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

I just drilled the upper links through the frame rails just remember that too short of a upper link compared to the bottom will change the axle driveline angle dramatically so I try to keep them fairly close in length and once the lower links are mounted then its easy pezy for the uppers I'm almost done my willys build ill post pic soon or even maybe tonight if its possible with real life lol
Old 09-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Hey ! It's finally standing on it's own! I'm so proud.
Spacing out these hybrid axles for shock mounting can be a bit tricky. I'm using my old blown out SCX10 shocks for mock-up, but I might use these old Losi comp shocks eventually.

I'm still pretty busted, so still no transfer case. In the meantime I can still get the steering and panard bar squared away.
Yup, this will be a slow-ass build, but that's probably a good thing, in my case. I can make sure everything is ship-shape when I do get parts.

Joe and the dog hang'in out
Old 11-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Any new progress lately ?
rockwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Actually I got little more done on this guy... just got the transfer case a couple of weeks ago, installed that and the rest has been just trying to space everything so the suspension isn't binding... been working on the scx10 more the last couple of weeks. I'll be moving forward on this thing this weekend.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #54
Oppan Gangnam Style

Looking good Chris, mine's still sitting collecting dust.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

This looks like a burly jeep. I think those tires fit really nicely!
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
Sorry guys, I got a little torn away by real life. Plus I've been broke as hell lately, so progress has been pretty slow. But I do have enough material to get the links worked out and figure out shock locations.( I need to check out how some of you guys attached the brackets for the upper links to the frame.)

So I need to get some rod cut and tapped so I can get this thing moving again.

You might want to rethink your links... I had 3mm threaded ball ends into tapped Aluminum rod and quickly tore them out during normal crawling. My 1/6 Willys is around 15 pounds and that weight beats your links, lower shock mounts and truss mount points. I ended up going with Revo ball ends, 10-32 threaded rod slieved by 1/4" stainless steel tubing. The heavier links are holding up very well so far. Also buy extra axle housings to have in inventory; they get beat up quickly on any mounting points.

I can't tell from the photos is you have plastic C-hubs & steering arms? You better invest in Alumunum upgrades.... Plastic will not last.

Look at buying MIP Drive Shafts. They are bomb-proof and worth every penny. I used to tear apart plastic ones on my 1.9 stuff until I went with MIPs.

Look/search for Bigski's front shock top mount idea using the Tamiya link mounts you used for the suspenion mounts.

The cage work looks really sharp !!!

Last edited by Jeepin-Paul; 11-03-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Looking good Chris, mine's still sitting collecting dust.
Well, git'r done!
Old 11-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

=Jeepin-Paul;3998157]You might want to rethink your links... I had 3mm threaded ball ends into tapped Aluminum rod and quickly tore them out during normal crawling. My 1/6 Willys is around 15 pounds and that weight beats your links, lower shock mounts and truss mount points. I ended up going with Revo ball ends, 10-32 threaded rod slieved by 1/4" stainless steel tubing. The heavier links are holding up very well so far. Also buy extra axle housings to have in inventory; they get beat up quickly on any mounting points.

I'm running 4mm studs into Revo ball ends... im pretty sure these will not be the last set of links I will make for this thing!

I can't tell from the photos is you have plastic C-hubs & steering arms? You better invest in Alumunum upgrades.... Plastic will not last.
Yup, copy that. A lot of these parts are just to get me up and running on the cheap. (especially between the scx10, xr10 and wraith parts.) Don't see much reason to go aluminum unless i need to.

Look at buying MIP Drive Shafts. They are bomb-proof and worth every penny. I used to tear apart plastic ones on my 1.9 stuff until I went with MIPs.
Oh yeah, I already have 2 sets for my other rig, this will be rock'in MIP's when I have the cash. Might have to make a cheap set of shafts for testing and set-up.

Look/search for Bigski's front shock top mount idea using the Tamiya link mounts you used for the suspenion mounts.
Yeah, I did. that's a cool idea. I might try a stud with a backing plate, It seemed to give me more options as to shock position, but eh, nothing is set in stone on this thing.

Thanks!, that's the work of Matt (Dork Vader) anytime I kinda run out of steam on this build, I just check out that cage, and it gets me into it again. He really does some great work.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin-Paul View Post

Thanks for the compliment! I recently updated the build thread w/ a newer design for an upper mount, it gets the shock as tight as possible to the inner fender well without cutting into it.

I also like the front section of the cage, I've been messing around with a similar design for the orange Jeep, it's going to get a major overhaul/upgrade this winter. A new cage is on the list, the one in there now has had the living snot pounded out of it, it's twisted and bend in every direction. It's been put to use more times than I care to think about.

I agree with the idea of using Revo rod ends on your suspension links, I use them on my Jeep. I threaded mine for M4 only because I had a M4 die on hand. I'm constantly amazed at how well they hold up. I used 3/16 solid rod stock when I made the links.

Last edited by BigSki; 11-04-2012 at 03:12 PM.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post

I agree with the idea of using Revo rod ends on your suspension links, I use them on my Jeep. I threaded mine for M4 only because I had a M4 die on hand. I'm constantly amazed at how well they hold up. I used 3/16 solid rod stock when I made the links.
Yeah, I like this option because I can get a 36inch length of aluminum stock at Home Depot for around 5 bucks, compared to 2.50 a foot at the hobby shops. Plus I can get 4mm setscrews for a little less than 50 cents a piece, which probably isn't the greatest price, but I can still swing into any Home Depot to get spares. (same applies for MIP shafts.)
(little stuff like this can really make my day!)