Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Hey, look. Another jeep!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Hey, look. Another jeep!

Not a ton of updates for this guy, but I've been able to properly mount the transfer case, make some front shock mounts that are a little more stable, and generally tried to smooth everything out so the suspension can cycle properly.

One thing about using these hybrid axles- I'm kinda surprised how much noodling I have to do to get these things to work without binding up, and I was hoping to use a set of barely used losi shocks, but they're just too damn big. The stock scx10 shocks should work fine, but I was hoping for a little beefier shock to help handle the weight of this pig.

Added a little aluminum for the front shock mounts.(paint should hide these nicely.)

Beefier skid for the t-case- need to counter-sink these buttonheads.

Playing around with the front steering arm. It's good clearance, but I need to make some better 1/8 inch connecting plates.

That's about it for now. I'd love to get a bunch of parts for this thing, but I'm just a lot broker than usual. My unemployment's run out and work I did have dried up, so I have to either make it myself or do without.
But it's getting there.

brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

sorry to hear about the lack of work, but the jeep is looking great!
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
One thing about using these hybrid axles- I'm kinda surprised how much noodling I have to do to get these things to work without binding up, and I was hoping to use a set of barely used losi shocks, but they're just too damn big. The stock scx10 shocks should work fine, but I was hoping for a little beefier shock to help handle the weight of this pig.
I feel your pain about figuring out what shocks to use, I had the smoothest working suspension when I was running SCX-10 shocks, I used the stiffest springs ( primary and secondary) and the action was buttery smooth. I just ran into clearance issues when I switched to the white steelies, the sidewalls of the tires just jammed into the shocks. I think it's one of the biggest areas of compromise when building one of these Jeeps- in order to get the most tire clearance and keep the tires tucked in as much as possible, the shocks need to be mounted in board of the chassis which kills the scale look and requires major surgery to the body.

Nice work on the AXR-10 axles!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

If you move those shocks farther forward like straight up and down you will get better clearance. If you haven't tried this yet but some wide hubs that might help a little. I used g transition 1/8 scale shocks and they clear on my rig. My Willy's is 14.5 lbs and the 1/8 scale in droop works very well and looks like a shock. Just a few ideas looks good love.the Willy's builds they crawl so realistic
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #65
Pebble Pounder

Any Progress?
rockwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:40 AM   #66
Rock Crawler

Wow, it's been over a year since I really worked on this thing. Finally a friend of mine threw down the challenge, and whether this thing is "perfect" or not, it has to be at least moving under it's own power by the end of April.

I have an old r2 tranny with a fresh set of gears- this might do until I get get an Axial trans together.

My problem right now is the steering servo, anybody figure out a good mounting location? I could lay it down on the bottom plate in the front, but it seems a little vulnerable. Standing the servo upright basically means I have to hack into the radiator. How did you guys deal with this?

Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #67
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=
My problem right now is the steering servo, anybody figure out a good mounting location? I could lay it down on the bottom plate in the front, but it seems a little vulnerable. Standing the servo upright basically means I have to hack into the radiator. How did you guys deal with this?[/QUOTE]

Stand the servo up so it mounts just behind the radiator, inside the engine compartment. That is Std mounting position for a Hasbro Willys Build.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

here's the only pic I could find of the servo mount location on my Orange Jeep.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys, this gets the gears turning again. I might have to cut into the radiator, but it should'nt be too bad. I might just trim off the front bumper for more clearance.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #70
Rock Crawler

Just checked in on this, and must say, it looks great! If you haven't already dealt with your steering servo, you might try using a bell crank mounted in there and then place the servo any where you want. That's what I'm doing on my CJ(which I haven't touched for quite some time). It's also more scale since that's how the steering was set up on the real deal.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

I ended up mounting it just behind the radiator and put a long servo arm on it. I wanted to do a panhard bar but couldn't find an easy way to squeeze it in there without interference.

Fumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
Just checked in on this, and must say, it looks great! If you haven't already dealt with your steering servo, you might try using a bell crank mounted in there and then place the servo any where you want. That's what I'm doing on my CJ(which I haven't touched for quite some time). It's also more scale since that's how the steering was set up on the real deal.
Thanks! Yeah, ive been toying with the bellcrank idea for a while, in the meantime I just want to get this moving under it's own power. I'll probably try to put together a decent subframe on it, and incorporate a good bellcrank system at a later date.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
Thanks guys, this gets the gears turning again. I might have to cut into the radiator, but it should'nt be too bad. I might just trim off the front bumper for more clearance.
I ended up cutting back my front bumper too, then made a stinger for it. I like it much better being shortened up like that.
Fumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
I ended up mounting it just behind the radiator and put a long servo arm on it. I wanted to do a panhard bar but couldn't find an easy way to squeeze it in there without interference.
You will need to fabricate a panhard bar mount to get everything to clear. it will take some work, welding (or brazing), and lots of patience. Seach the forum for photos to get ideas on the layout.
Jeepin-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:58 AM   #75
Rock Crawler

Wow, I cant believe I started this thing 3 years ago.... I kept running out of money (and occasionally ideas) but I stuck with it , and now for 2015, It RUNS! Yay!

I'll have a little run video to post up tomorrow, it has a few little test runs in the yard to find the gremlins, but she's a runner! These are really fun to drive!

I was finally able to pick up an all-metal transmission, a 2800kv Roc412 and a mamba. I've got a lot more work to do yet, but I'm real happy with how it sits now.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

Here's a vid of the maiden voyage....

Old 01-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #77
Pebble Pounder

That cage is a work of art. Damn nice building.
dadrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Another monster is alive, great work.

Curious to what your esc settings are. I am running a similar set up to yours and my down hill control is lacking where it feels like it is coasting more than any thing.
snydercj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

I'm trying so badly to rebuild mine this winter, including a new cage. It sits more than it gets used, I want to change that.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:02 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Do the Rock Beasts have a stiffer sidewall than Super Swampers, or are you using stiffer foams?
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote