Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Real Steel 1/6th F250 Project working class reborn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Real Steel 1/6th F250 Project working class reborn

Ok I got my wheels in and started modding the tire for air, First attempt V1 didnt work as well as I thought it would the tire ballooned up way to much in the center and didnt look anything close to scale.

Started with obtaineing my donor parts cheapest ball I could find with the right valve

Then after getting it in place glued it it with E6000 and let it sit over night just to be safe
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Now after the crazy ballooning..I made a few adjustments and added a thick rubber lining to the inside of the tread pattern glued the hell out of it and again let each one sit overnight.

I call this V2

just for uniformity purposes I used the same procedure for each tire. I then flipped the tire back right sideout installed the foam and stuffed a bottle in it to keep even pressure while setting up

So far they are holding well, one has a slow leak but thats easily fixable, I also left the foams inside the tires to help stiffen the sidewalls. They are very heavy but have great shape and bounce just like a real tire

Last edited by Diesel-tech; 01-27-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

Lookin good. The stretch in the sidewalks really gives it a true scale look.
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

That tire mod is insane! I've seen it all now! Really nice build so far!
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #65

I have to add my complements on the tire mod as well as building your own two speed transfer case, the lift kit, body lift and the heavy truck steering set up. I am sure I missed some thing. Now I need to find .5 box tube and make a steel frame upgrade to my Willy's.
ssgstank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle8787 View Post
That is one sweet rig! Jealous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
That tire mod is insane! I've seen it all now! Really nice build so far!
Thanks guys, Theres alot more to come

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgstank View Post
I have to add my complements on the tire mod as well as building your own two speed transfer case, the lift kit, body lift and the heavy truck steering set up. I am sure I missed some thing. Now I need to find .5 box tube and make a steel frame upgrade to my Willy's.
just trying to make it as real as possible and I'm constantly tying to come up with newer and better Ideas so if you do come up with anything it's missing I'm all ears

Last edited by Diesel-tech; 02-03-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Spent a little time on it this afternoon,

Mounted my ESC and ran all the wiring. Finally got to put some power to the wheels and wouldnt you know it a "like new" motor i bought in the classifieds turned out to be a spark fest.. But on the brighter side just 1 of the pullers on only 3s makes this bad boy scoot Now I'm second guessing myself on weather to run the current twin puller design or swap it for a 1/6th scale die-cast engine with one puller inside and an RC4WD R3 trans modded to fit...damn the wheels of engineering are spining out of controll again..

I know this is not your traditional esc location but it will always be high and dry, and makes a nice center consol plus checking for overheating will be a cinch.

All wires ran nice and clean..i'm pretty OCD about stuff like this i can't stand an electrical mess
Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Time for an update, Fiddled with it here and there and after a couple light test runs i found a few areas for improvement.

First the steering, Not only did the 500+ oz/in servo imediatly snap the brazed on fabrication tab off the tie rod but i found the bellcrank set screws stripping quickly. So with a re engineering I welded the tab to the tie rod instead..( welding steel to titanium is not the easiest thing to do) and drilled out the main shaft on the bellcrank to accept a full length set screw..holding up very well now.

Second was the rear U-bolts and plates, The rounded top design allowed the axle to shift under high torque. Refasioned the u bolts to a more squared design and put a piece of rubber between the lift block and axle to help with constant pressure I also adjusted the rear shocks to allow for more down travel giving the rig a little bit better articulation.

Next is the front suspension..this rig is heavy and even though the front shock act very realistic on the bench and light crawling there just not beefy enough to handle the weight...I've got a few different shocks coming so it will be a little bit of trial and error.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

next was some interior work..Adding the right details here and there is really setting this off.

added a proline scale power inverter and a fire extinguisher and painted all the dash detail.. now i just need to figure out how to scale down some images to make some magazines n such....sometime me and technology dont get along

Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Let me get this strait... , you made air filled inner tubes for the tires?

If anyone is looking for me, I will be outside building a pyramid in your honor.

Last edited by 30percent; 02-05-2013 at 12:20 PM.
30percent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30percent View Post
Let me get this strait... , you made air filled inner tubes for the tires?

If anyone is looking for me, I will be outside building a pyramid in your honor.
Well technicaly there tubeless...don't tell RC4WD or they will want them back... but i'll take that pyramid lol can you make it in john deere green??
Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-tech View Post
Well technicaly there tubeless...don't tell RC4WD or they will want them back... but i'll take that pyramid lol can you make it in john deere green??
It is done....

Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It is done....

THAT IS FAWKING AWESOME!!!!!

And they said Rome wasnt built in a day..Pfhh
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Modern technology, eat your heart out ancient Egyptians!

I see it now. You just added the valve to the inner side wall. Is the foam still in there? How long do they hold air? When is RC4WD making Radial Tires? What PSI do they hold? Am I asking too many questions?

This is going places... Sub-Scrizzle-Maximus.

Last edited by 30percent; 02-07-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Modern technology, eat your heart out ancient Egyptians!

I see it now. You just added the valve to the inner side wall. Is the foam still in there? How long do they hold air? When is RC4WD making Radial Tires? What PSI do they hold? Am I asking too many questions?

This is going places... Sub-Scrizzle-Maximus.
I left the foams in the front tires only to help stiffen the sidewalls for turning. I havnt checked the psi there just pumped up til they look right, No leaks so far, Dont know If/when rc4wd will be making radials ( Although I will be first in line if they ever do ) Did I get them all?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-tech View Post
I left the foams in the front tires only to help stiffen the sidewalls for turning. I havnt checked the psi there just pumped up til they look right, No leaks so far, Dont know If/when rc4wd will be making radials ( Although I will be first in line if they ever do ) Did I get them all?
Yes sir! Thank you.

I remember having a portable inflation gun that used a Co2 type cartridge for my mountain bike. It had a PSI gauge on it, but it started at 15psi. Don't know if you are using that much.

I'd have to look at the real 1:1 psi on the fly system.
I've been designing an air-ride lift system, there could be enough psi to inflate/deflate on the fly. The valve control is the hold up atm. $295 6vdc valves, need at least 2.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

update time, I've been thinking of ways to beef up the front suspension and then it finally clicked. How about some dual front shocks and after my order from RPP showed up with multiple sets of different shocks I ended up with the rc4wd 90mm king off road shocks, After adding some 45w oil they are actualy very smooth and with the two paired on either side they provide just enough damper to keep the wheels planted. well with the new shocks came the need for a new shock mount.

now with the new pre-runner style shock mount come the need for new fender wells. and the crappy edges and leftover brazing material will be cleaned up i was kinda keeked at how awesome it was looking i kinda rushed getting it back together.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

And after working on this monster for awhile now I forget what a damn monster it actualy is, I broke out the 1:10 plow truck today and it's like night and day..

Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 AM   #79
Rock Crawler

Looking good. Is the rear shock setup staying the same?

Checkout my F350 build if you get a chance, using the same body.
simon170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:40 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Yeah ya know that rear shock setup is really growing on me, I've got it tuned to have a bit of down travel so it's functioning just like a 1:1 with shock boosters. i dont know Still debating but for now i have no complaints.

Real Steel 1/6th F250 Project working class reborn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gavin's Class 2 SORRCA Toyota Truggy reborn - the 3rd & 4th time now Nova's Ark 1.9 Scale Rigs 96 08-14-2019 01:05 PM
Project "working class superduty" true scale Diesel-tech 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 05-21-2011 09:36 PM
reborn tlt project tltcrawlerxtrem Tamiya TLT Crawlers 20 02-17-2007 01:52 PM
New 1/6th Nylint Not Working mulchman General Crawlers 2 04-11-2006 08:07 PM