Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: project help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Default project help...

hi ive had my micro for a while now and i love it. ive done a few mods to it lik a droop set up, trail trekker links, wide offset rim mod, and rc4wd micky baja claws. i want more speed out of it and was thinking of make a 2 or 3 speed trans with a 130 size motor but im thinking of also geting the cralwer x blade tmc chassis but i dnt think there would be enuff room for that. then i thought about a brushless set up with a 2500 to 3000kv rating but not sure if that will perform well in slower crawler situations. i kinda want a rock racer but not sure how to do it. advice would b appreciated.
The Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post
hi ive had my micro for a while now and i love it. ive done a few mods to it lik a droop set up, trail trekker links, wide offset rim mod, and rc4wd micky baja claws. i want more speed out of it and was thinking of make a 2 or 3 speed trans with a 130 size motor but im thinking of also geting the cralwer x blade tmc chassis but i dnt think there would be enuff room for that. then i thought about a brushless set up with a 2500 to 3000kv rating but not sure if that will perform well in slower crawler situations. i kinda want a rock racer but not sure how to do it. advice would b appreciated.
Making a 2 or 3 speed trans wouldn't be easy and definitely wont fit in a blade TMC, neither will a 130 can motor. I would start with a High C lipo and a predator 80t motor from Getbent. then from there you can play with your pinion and spur combo. keep in mind the Micro crawler axles are worm gear and not built for speed. If those mods dont get you enough speed you should look at the Redcat sumo micro crawler.
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mechanic View Post

I would buy this motor http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB1751 its from the SCT and Rally Its not the one that came with your crawler or Trekker. In my Trekker it faster than the stock and more torque than the stock motor. You could also change the gearing. A smaller spur and aber 4 teeth bigger pinion. Won't quite be stock micro-t speed but alot faster than now. I didnt do the gearing and I'll sy it's about ferret trot speed. It bcame an expensive pet toy.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

that losi motor is just a replacement motor. it wont be any better than stock
Old 07-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The multiple speed trans would be nice and that is something that has been toyed around with before but nothing ever came out of it. A guy on youtube built a 3 speed trans and it was quite imprssive but he jsut kinda disappeared. Like Spoo said on the axles, they are worm gear and wont go to fast. The redcat axles in the sumo micro however are spool type. Chevy55 did a build using those to make a Micro FOFF rig. I have seen te brushless done but there was a lot of cogging. I would stick with the stock motor, get one of GETBENT's 80t/90t predator motors, or if you really want to use a 130 can build a custom trans plate and go for it. I believe once again Chevy55 did just that. It was over on microtforum under big block'n I beleive but could be wrong.
BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I agree with spoo about the sumo crawler being your best bet. My motors will slow you down and give you more torque, but I would not recommend them for someone wanting a rock racer. They are best for someone wanting to slow down the stock crawler and make it more technical. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
Making a 2 or 3 speed trans wouldn't be easy and definitely wont fit in a blade TMC, neither will a 130 can motor. I would start with a High C lipo and a predator 80t motor from Getbent. then from there you can play with your pinion and spur combo. keep in mind the Micro crawler axles are worm gear and not built for speed. If those mods dont get you enough speed you should look at the Redcat sumo micro crawler.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
that losi motor is just a replacement motor. it wont be any better than stock
Oh yea?? http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB0833 http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB1751 2 different stock numbers equal 2 differnt motors
Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
yes different part numbers.. one has a square hole in the can the other does not so its not the same exact motor can, but the performance is the same and wont be any better than the stock McRC or Mc4x4 motor. if it was everyone would use it. all the stock losi micro motors should perform about the same
Old 07-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Just read the link that you posted;
Quote:
Replacement motor for:
1/24 Micro Rock Crawler RTR/BND - LOSB0236/LOSB0236BD
1/36 Micro Highroller RTR - LOSB0237
1/24 Micro SCT RTR - LOSB0240
1/24 Micro Rally RTR - LOSB0241
The exact same motor that goes in the SCT, Rally and Highroller, is the exact same motor in the Rock Crawler.

Yes, it is different than the other link, one has a hole cut in the can, the other does not.

And if reading the very link you posted doesn't help...

That is every micro product from Losi, and all the stock motors are identical.

Oh wait, forgot one that I sold...

Now that's all of them.

Last edited by Evilinside; 07-20-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
yes different part numbers.. one has a square hole in the can the other does not so its not the same exact motor can, but the performance is the same and wont be any better than the stock McRC or Mc4x4 motor. if it was everyone would use it. all the stock losi micro motors should perform about the same

Beg to differ with ya. That's the motor for the rally/ sct and its faster and torqier. You shouldn't put out bad gouge.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilinside View Post
Just read the link that you posted;

The exact same motor that goes in the SCT, Rally and Highroller, is the exact same motor in the Rock Crawler.

Yes, it is different than the other link, one has a hole cut in the can, the other does not.

And if reading the very link you posted doesn't help...

That is every micro product from Losi, and all the stock motors are identical.

Oh wait, forgot one that I sold...

Now that's all of them.

Then why does my Trekker run faster and climber better when I used the motor out of my sct.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Beg to differ with ya. That's the motor for the rally/ sct and its faster and torqier. You shouldn't put out bad gouge.
I assume you mean more TORQUE,but Im not sure what you mean by bad gouge.
Anyway, Yes like you said its the same as the Rally/SCT... which is the same as the crawler,trekker, & High roller and all the newest losi micros. so no performance gain with the SAME exact motor. its even posted on the losi site.
Quote:
Micro High-Power Motor

At a Glance

Replacement motor for:
the link you posted was to the EXACT same motor that comes in his truck so its not a gain. you also posted a link to the older Micro T/B motor which is the same other than the cooling hole

Its been said on other forums as well as this one that its the same since the crawler came out, and was discussed again when the SCT/rally came out

I'm not sure how you claim the rally/SCT motor is the same yet has more torque. maybe you changed something else at the same time as the motor like the pinion,spur, or battery?
it also doesn't make sense that the older cheaper T/B motor would have more torque in a larger heavier vehicle.

In fact Im pretty sure both motors have been pulled apart and the wire gauge and wind count was identical

Now back to the original posters topic
If you want more speed the easiest way is to play with a larger pinion and smaller spur, but you will lose torque. then maybe a good quality high C lipo

The Brushless options require a custom motor mount as well as a new receiver and ESC and from what Ive read any of the fast motors create low speed cogging in this settup

I think the best bet with the losi axles would be a larger 130 can motor (xmod sized) this should get you power and speed. However it wont fit in the small TMC chassis and also requires a custom motor mount,but being brushed you can keep the small ESC/RX combo.

Again keep in mind the worm gear axles arent built for speed and it may not be fast enough. and from what Ive read speed eventually kills the worm gear.
If you still really want speed go for the Redcat Sumo micro crawler.
it has solid spool diffs and is geared pretty high. if you use those axles with a losi micro trans it should be plenty fast
Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Then why does my Trekker run faster and climber better when I used the motor out of my sct.
Because the pinion tooth count is larger.
Evilinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilinside View Post
Because the pinion tooth count is larger.

By bad gouge I mean you shouldnt lie to him. Torque goes up with a bigger pinion gear? HUH? So I put a bigger pinion gear and get more speed and more torque? You think that maybe, just maybe I took the bigger one off and put the small one on?
If they were identical why would losi list two?
Old 07-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I assume you mean more TORQUE,but Im not sure what you mean by bad gouge.
Anyway, Yes like you said its the same as the Rally/SCT... which is the same as the crawler,trekker, & High roller and all the newest losi micros. so no performance gain with the SAME exact motor. its even posted on the losi site.
the link you posted was to the EXACT same motor that comes in his truck so its not a gain. you also posted a link to the older Micro T/B motor which is the same other than the cooling hole

Its been said on other forums as well as this one that its the same since the crawler came out, and was discussed again when the SCT/rally came out

I'm not sure how you claim the rally/SCT motor is the same yet has more torque. maybe you changed something else at the same time as the motor like the pinion,spur, or battery?
it also doesn't make sense that the older cheaper T/B motor would have more torque in a larger heavier vehicle.

In fact Im pretty sure both motors have been pulled apart and the wire gauge and wind count was identical

Now back to the original posters topic
If you want more speed the easiest way is to play with a larger pinion and smaller spur, but you will lose torque. then maybe a good quality high C lipo

The Brushless options require a custom motor mount as well as a new receiver and ESC and from what Ive read any of the fast motors create low speed cogging in this settup

I think the best bet with the losi axles would be a larger 130 can motor (xmod sized) this should get you power and speed. However it wont fit in the small TMC chassis and also requires a custom motor mount,but being brushed you can keep the small ESC/RX combo.

Again keep in mind the worm gear axles arent built for speed and it may not be fast enough. and from what Ive read speed eventually kills the worm gear.
If you still really want speed go for the Redcat Sumo micro crawler.
it has solid spool diffs and is geared pretty high. if you use those axles with a losi micro trans it should be plenty fast

you posted a raealy good point. MICRO HIGH POWER MOTOR. Does that make sense to you.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Its just advertising. its no different than any other claim. it doesn't have to be 100% true. just not technically a lie.
anyway the facts have been posted.others back it up you dont have to believe them, but Im not going to jack this dudes thread anymore
Old 07-21-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Its just advertising. its no different than any other claim. it doesn't have to be 100% true. just not technically a lie.
anyway the facts have been posted.others back it up you dont have to believe them, but Im not going to jack this dudes thread anymore

You can be happy knowin that I "wasted" $10 for my Crawler and Trekker and I do it again when and if the motor weares out. Do it how you want. Ike I said though don't LIE to ppl.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You can be happy knowin that I "wasted" $10 for my Crawler and Trekker and I do it again when and if the motor weares out. Do it how you want. Ike I said though don't LIE to ppl.
Dude what the hell is your problem? I dont care what you do with your $ but dont waste others with miss information.
I never LIED to anyone about anything. i simply pointed out that DESPITE the different part # the motor is the same.there are different part #s because the can has a hole and nows its been said the pinions on the newer motors are of a different tooth count than the older T/B motors. which would explain the different performance feel. its been said here and other places by many others with various losi micros. these are FACTS regardless if you choose to believe them or not, even if i was wrong (which I am not) that doesn't make me a liar.

as far as you, even if you were right about one motor being "faster" you are still wrong about which motor he has. you are telling him in your reply to "upgrade" his micro crawler motor to the same motor he has, its even listed on the link in your reply.. if you look there is a list of of the losi micros that use this motor. as has been said once already...
Quote:
Replacement motor for:
this is the motor you suggested in your own link. which losi says is the same motor he has, not an upgrade.

Quote:
I would buy this motor http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB1751 its from the SCT and Rally Its not the one that came with your crawler or Trekker. In my Trekker it faster than the stock and more torque than the stock motor. You could also change the gearing. A smaller spur and aber 4 teeth bigger pinion. Won't quite be stock micro-t speed but alot faster than now. I didnt do the gearing and I'll sy it's about ferret trot speed. It bcame an expensive pet toy.

So again this isnt a flame, or argument or "lie" you are just wrong others in this very thread have pointed it out. its not that the motor you told him to buy is a bad motor..its just that its the SAME as whats in his micro already. Hopefully its clear now.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Dude what the hell is your problem? I dont care what you do with your $ but dont waste others with miss information.
I never LIED to anyone about anything. i simply pointed out that DESPITE the different part # the motor is the same.there are different part #s because the can has a hole and nows its been said the pinions on the newer motors are of a different tooth count than the older T/B motors. which would explain the different performance feel. its been said here and other places by many others with various losi micros. these are FACTS regardless if you choose to believe them or not, even if i was wrong (which I am not) that doesn't make me a liar.

as far as you, even if you were right about one motor being "faster" you are still wrong about which motor he has. you are telling him in your reply to "upgrade" his micro crawler motor to the same motor he has, its even listed on the link in your reply.. if you look there is a list of of the losi micros that use this motor. as has been said once already... this is the motor you suggested in your own link. which losi says is the same motor he has, not an upgrade.

So again this isnt a flame, or argument or "lie" you are just wrong others in this very thread have pointed it out. its not that the motor you told him to buy is a bad motor..its just that its the SAME as whats in his micro already. Hopefully its clear now.
So it doesn't have more torque also? Being wrong and trying to say its right is not lieing? I look back and you tell him to buy a motor with twice the number of winds to make it faster. Next you gonna suggest to have him grind his rims into a square shape? If you didnt care you would keep comin back. Predator wraps motors for rock crawlers not rock racers. Why not get the motor predator rewinds? if ya wanna fly.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So it doesn't have more torque also? Being wrong and trying to say its right is not lieing? I look back and you tell him to buy a motor with twice the number of winds to make it faster. Next you gonna suggest to have him grind his rims into a square shape? If you didnt care you would keep comin back. Predator wraps motors for rock crawlers not rock racers. Why not get the motor predator rewinds? if ya wanna fly.

I'll say it one more time. I went to th losi site and looked at the exploded view for ya. the exploded view of the Treker http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOSB0238_Manual.pdf

Thats part. #LOSB0833 here is the description for that motor http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB0833

doesn't get any clearer!!