Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Matts Trekker Mod Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Cool Matts Trekker Mod Action

Well I've been wanting a trekker for a while now so I brought one home the other day!

It is really fun, but those stickers had to go, they stuck on there for the first battery pack. So Peeling them off was the first "mod"

First things were to be done we're put on some micro deans and also got a 250mah lipo and charge leads. So got that all done...
Next mods were to adjust the suspension and weight the wheels. So I removed the shock limiter bushings, heat treated 3/4 of the springs, moved the upper shock mounts to the lower hole. Then I took off the beadlock rings and put the tires in the freezer for about a half hour and broke off the glue bead, removed the foams and added about a 1/4 ounce of lead wire to each wheel. Re glued and painted up the rings before reinstalling all of those 48 awesome little screws. Ohh I also made a tailgate panel.. Not the best paint match but it works for now.

This is while the rings were drying

Drastic difference in performance!! For the good! The motor does get a tad warm with the lipo but I just keep an eye on the temps.

.... To be continued!....
Matthewboerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Nice trekker you got. Mine looks similar but I have it on sumo axles, sumo shocks, miclaw tires on hr beadlocks, al tranny case, 58t spur and 10t pinion, custom links, and last but not least its brushless and screams speed. Lol it don't crawl at all anymore but it will fly. Im going to try a really low kv motor to slow it down and give it some more torque soon. The losi 8750kv motor is just to much speed for anything other than runnin really fast.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
kevinhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Matts Trekker Mod Action

Nice! They're surprisingly fun ain't it? Yours looks alot cleaner than mine Haha.
dannan_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yea there great indoor crawler,not a fan of the stickers but still not sure,but it's a must to trim the wheel opening to keep the tire from grabbing it
1tuffmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannan_w View Post
Nice! They're surprisingly fun ain't it? Yours looks alot cleaner than mine Haha.
It is fun! I've been crawling a couple batteries a day since I got it! Now when I drive my scx10 I feel like it's a monster truck!!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuffmj View Post
Yea there great indoor crawler,not a fan of the stickers but still not sure,but it's a must to trim the wheel opening to keep the tire from grabbing it
Yeah I kept the head and tail light stickers, I added door handles with a fine tip sharpie to get something on those blank sides, it helped. The fender trim helped a lot, especially after I adjusted the shock mounts and heat treated the springs to sag a little.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Tonight I made a 4' x 4' indoor crawl pad, using 1/2" sheet foam board insulation and canned expanding foam... Turned out pretty awesome so far. Can't wait for it to dry up and see what it's like. I'll post up some pics when it's all dry and detailed.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

So here is my 4'x4' crawl spot I made on some per board I had ( the holes are nice because it gives more texture for the glue and foam to adhere to) using 1/2" foam board, loctite adhesive, some wood lath, and some great stuff expanding foam.. And my favorite.... Spray paint!!! So far so good. A few adjustment are in store as well as some more features to crawl.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:37 AM   #9

Nice setup you got going! These little things have so much potential! If you get some new tires, look up the danally rim/wheel mod.. I use it on my trail trekker (TEK) check it out

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...e_gdata_player
Protazoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

A little update: the trekker is doing good, I did however pick up a Mercedes g wagon rc and pulled the body off and it fits perfect. I'm making some body mount towers and going to use Velcro to keep it on. The way I have it planned it won't mod the trekker at all an the stock truck body can go right back on with the body clips. I'm stoked! Here is a teaser with it just propped on there.

And for fun I plopped the trekker body on the rc and taped it on and ran it around the kitchen, pretty entertaining for a $16 rc.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Ok so the g wagon body isn't going to work as well as I hoped.. Maybe I'm picky but the tire size and ride height looked off, unless I hacked the body up. I made some Velcro mount and ran it for a bit and it was top heavy even with the tires weighted a bit. So I guess my son gets a new rc car lol. But it you want give it a shot don't let my opinion keep you from thing it out. I got it at Fred Meyers for $16

Last edited by Matthewboerner; 02-06-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

My stock servo went out, so I got a new hitec hs65mg. It went in pretty easy, I did have to sand down the servo mounts so they were thinner and the ears on the servo and the mount holes lined up. It's nice having some turning power again!!
Old 03-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #13

It's hard to run a body on the trekker and still have it handle good. I found to run my gmc model I need to droop the suspension an put stiffer springs if not it just would hit the tires to the wheel wells. Along with a lot of chopping to mount body using original posts and clips. But keep it up getting the new servo is a great hop up
antmanrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I agree on the models and having to run droop. It really makes the rig sit right and it can handle the weight. My S10 I made droop and to be honest it crawled as good as my other rigs. I kept it pretty light though.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Got another body that fits great! Went with the road rippers jeep.
After some dremmel work it fits great! Here is a little sneak peak.

photo 113CE585-B401-41BB-8C34-6D636A11FE37.jpg

Matts Trekker Mod Action - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Matts scx10 action! Matthewboerner Axial SCX-10 44 12-08-2014 12:26 AM
Matts Wraith Action! Matthewboerner Axial Wraith 59 10-09-2013 09:19 PM
Final Stage of Kubelwagen Build - Losi Trail Trekker Mod rampa202 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 10-31-2012 12:57 PM
Need Much Stiffer Springs for Trail Trekker Mod rampa202 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 11 04-28-2012 07:01 PM
Matts Mini GC-3 *2011 Build* MRCCRAWLER1.9 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 32 02-10-2012 12:43 AM