Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My BWD Mini Wedge Pro build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 04:58 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Nice snag on the wheels/tires! I didn't realize the wheels had bolt in weights, performance AND looks!
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2010, 05:32 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
Nice snag on the wheels/tires! I didn't realize the wheels had bolt in weights, performance AND looks!
Thanks. Obviously performance and looks are subjective, but I love the look of them. I'm surprised that Losi don't offer tuning weights as Proline and now Axial do. They are a wider wheel than the Axials so give the tyre a less rounded profile but the tyre mounts very easily and I much prefer the beadlock bolts going into metal rather than plastic and the fact that there are less bolts to tighten.

They also restore the offset that was lost with the axials and give a slightly wider stance.
neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #23
RCC Addict

How do those tires work for ya? figured you would have went the rover route with the build. Looks good real good
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Here are a couple more pics of the body you were asking for. Sorry it took almost two weeks to get to this. We've been busy here in Phoenix lately.

I thought I'd post them here since my build thread was not getting so much traffic and you might miss them there.

It's got a really nice, low, sports car look to it.
blue10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Default Servo Mounts

More goodies arrived in the shape of Hot Racing aluminium servo mounts. Not a fan of HR stuff but these are great and a fine replacement for the RPM plastic mounts that just didn't line up with the HS5955TG mounting holes. Like the silver accents on the black and the conical washers, very svelte.

Servo mounted to the left to help combat any torque twist that may be present. Rounded the poxy little hex head holding the servo plate on so I replaced the other two with philipheads.
Attached Images

Last edited by neiloid1; 04-11-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Default Foams

Crawler Innovation foams arrived. Two pairs of soft and one pair of medium Stage 1. These things are huge and soft as putty but once installed they deform nicely but give good support too. Intend to butcher the spare softs and run the mediums in the rear. Highly recommend these foams.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Builds going nicely fella, . Nice deal with the wheels.
biggusditchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #28
RCC Addict

your esc is in brushless mode is the malfunction cc a set to brushless as a default i believe
chad30w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Default A gift from Greece

In the post came a package from Greece that contained the G-Made wheel wideners that a few people have been running with their Wedges, including the main man Don. As they are only run on the front yet only come sold as fours I did a swap with fellow Brit and Wedge builder Mark (cbr6fs on this forum). Top man .

However, my joy at receiving these gorgeous chaps soon turned to disappointment as they do not fit my lovely wheels, so I'll need to widen the axle hole to enable the extended nut to grab the axle thread. Shouldn't be too hard. Apparently there is no problem with the Proline beadlocks, for those interested.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2010, 12:21 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad30w View Post
your esc is in brushless mode is the malfunction cc a set to brushless as a default i believe
Chad30w you are a genius And I'm a cock I had read that but got carried away with the excitement of the electronics.

Thanks for the BEC variation too.

How good is it that Team drivers take the time to help out fellow hobbyist, by sharing their time and knowledge with the great unwashed. I love this scene.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Fantastic build mate

You've really put time and thought into every mod and every mod and ho[ up on your truck has been done for a reason.

Call me a sad old fart, but i sat and just looked at that BWD motor mount for about 10 mins.
The design, machining and engineering gone into it just really pulls my chain, in 30 odd years of RCing it's one of if not the best quality part i've seen, Don should be as proud as bollox

Can't wait to get me steering kit here as well.

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiloid1 View Post
In the post came a package from Greece that contained the G-Made wheel wideners that a few people have been running with their Wedges, including the main man Don. As they are only run on the front yet only come sold as fours I did a swap with fellow Brit and Wedge builder Mark (cbr6fs on this forum). Top man .

However, my joy at receiving these gorgeous chaps soon turned to disappointment as they do not fit my lovely wheels, so I'll need to widen the axle hole to enable the extended nut to grab the axle thread. Shouldn't be too hard. Apparently there is no problem with the Proline beadlocks, for those interested.
Just fitted a pair of these on my rig and had exactly same problem, just drilled out centre of wheel (although I run plastic wheels so guess it was a little easier for me)
biggusditchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Default Electrics

Time to bring this thing to life. After much deliberation I decided to go brushed as I could keep the costs down by getting the ESC to run with the stock motor and give me a bit more time to decide on a motor. The ESCs seem to have better drag brake consistency from what I've read.

Already got a Castle Link and with its lovely small footprint, which is important with so little space available, the Micro Sidewinder got the job. Another bargain off Ebay. This was mated to a CC BEC and the motor rewired with 14AWG and bullet plugs. Deans for the battery connection and an adaptor for my lipo until it's reterminated. Now just need to mount them.

Also took the opportunity to shrink tube the stock drive shaft pins.
Attached Images

Last edited by neiloid1; 03-31-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Default Replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbrains View Post
How do those tires work for ya? figured you would have went the rover route with the build. Looks good real good
Sorry for not replying sooner. I've only run them a bit on the Axial beadlocks with the stock chassis and not been able to properly assess them. Obviously better than the stockers and have a much squarer profile. I'm going to stick with them for the time being then get Rovers. But I'm seriously thinking about making a set of pin tyres as per Del Montes rig.

Biggus, what size bit did you use? Mark gave me some guidance but I want the hole to be as small as possible to get the job done. Can we get an update on your rig?

Mark, thank you for your kind words and your input on the build. Mate you are a sad old fart but the motor plate is an awesome piece of engineering, just wish it was drilled a little larger so I could run my MLST motor.

Last edited by neiloid1; 03-31-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Your more than welcome Neil.

The help and support i've received since joining has gone way above and beyond, to the point where i still owe you (and several others on here) SEVERAL very large beers

Just checked me stock MRC wheels and the bolts don't fit through those either.

I know your being a bit cautious mate but it's honestly nothing to drill out the wheels.
You've got a decent pilot hole so it's really just a case of making 110% the wheel is secure before drilling, using a decent sharp drill bit and keeping the drill as vertical as you can.

If your still nervous then just grab the yellow pages look for a local engineering company and nip in to see em, i'll bet they'll only charge you a fiver if that.

Cheers
Mark
Old 11-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Come on Neil get your arse into gear and get that update posted
Old 11-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks. Obviously performance and looks are subjective, but I love the look of them. I'm surprised that Losi don't offer tuning weights as Proline and now Axial do. They are a wider wheel than the Axials so give the tyre a less rounded profile but the tyre mounts very easily and I much prefer the beadlock bolts going into metal rather than plastic and the fact that there are less bolts to tighten.

They also restore the offset that was lost with the axials and give a slightly wider stance.
They only offer a 30 Gram weight for a hop up. instead of the stock 16 Gram that comes in the box with the wheels. Wish there were more.
skywker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywker51 View Post
They only offer a 30 Gram weight for a hop up. instead of the stock 16 Gram that comes in the box with the wheels. Wish there were more.
Cheers Skywker51, very confusing on the Losi website but I've got a set on order now. You running them I assume?

More updates tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:37 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Cheers Skywker51, very confusing on the Losi website but I've got a set on order now. You running them I assume?

More updates tomorrow.
I run them on my front tires, stock ones on the rear, it gives me a 60-40 weight split for a start. Havent had a chance to try the rig on the rocks yet. One of the Local guys has Fri Night Comps at his house, I was going to go & try it there under a roof & dry!
skywker51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:18 AM   #40

AWesome build, you've inspired me to go for it on my MRC..
I've done all the basic(cut batt tray,relocated and flipped shocks etc..
but i went with an Integy tuber as i like the look alittle more then the stock body..newbie ethusiasm rekindled ,much thanx mate!
BasherSam66 is offline   Reply With Quote