Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My BWD Mini Wedge Pro build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My BWD Mini Wedge Pro build thread

So I've purchased me star and thought I'd use my 150th post to start my build thread.

A bit of history. I purchased my MRC stock but second hand and did the usual free mods but knew that I would be getting another chassis sooner or later. My first was homemade from Bigusdictus which I modded slightly but I couldn't get on with it as my efforts to four link the rear just reduced articulation to near zero.
Attached Images

neiloid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'd been watching DNA innovations on this website. DNA became BWD and when I heard that Don was developing a new chassis for the MRC, and then saw the video of the prototype, I knew that was what I wanted. So I waited, and waited, and the GC3 came out, but I waited and on the day of release I placed my order. I was on holiday when the chassis arrived and in that time the MRC pro was released.

But the wait was well worth it and the build began.

First off, the packaging and quality if the kit and fit is great. Although I had one of the first kits with the servo plate without the countersunk holes I received a countersunk servo plate a couple of days later, as Don promised on this site. Great customer service and communication from Don.

First things first, the upper and lower links go together.
Attached Images

Last edited by neiloid1; 04-12-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Sorry you struggled with the Bigg1 chassis chap, I find mine works well but have spent a fair bit of time fettling with it.

The wedge chassis looks great and I think it would have been my choice had I not gone with my own (would have been cheaper in long run too). Look forward to following this thread.
biggusditchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Other parts started to filter through from the States. Losi metal lockers front, rear and middle installed. I'm happy to report that I had none of the problems that others have reported whilst installing any of the lockers and none of my screws were overtight or stripped. A simple upgrade that is pretty much essential.

I've not used the HR metal gears as I want to see how the plastic stock gears hold up. I had their locked spool in my Mini T and the quality and finish was very poor so that has put me off for the moment, but I may be forced to change my mind in the future.
Attached Images

Last edited by neiloid1; 11-08-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Others have posted about the BWD motor plate and it is a work of art. I was in two minds as to whether to buy the full kit which included the motor plate. I'm so glad i did as it is, as of now, a unique bit of kit which sets this chassis kit apart. It's also there ready for future motor upgrades and just looks cool.

Installed the motor plate onto the gearbox with no problems and the transmission onto the skid plate. Note the skip plate is narrower at one end, this is the rear of the rig and one element of the chassis wedge shape. I did find the fourth hex head and installed it in place of the cross head shown in the picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by neiloid1; 03-31-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggusditchus View Post
Sorry you struggled with the Bigg1 chassis chap, I find mine works well but have spent a fair bit of time fettling with it.

The wedge chassis looks great and I think it would have been my choice had I not gone with my own (would have been cheaper in long run too). Look forward to following this thread.
Good to have you on board chap. I'm sorry it didn't work out with your chassis. Loved the sideplates, once I'd removed the motor side plate upper support and painted in black, and the rear link plate and lower links but I could get it to work. I accepted my technical short comings and pulled the trigger on this. The rear plate and lower links have gone off to another UK member on the site.

Last edited by neiloid1; 11-07-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

As I had a spare servo plate I decided to run it on the rear axle to give me options for battery placement. Checked the rear link holes were the same as the front and installed it along with the rear upper links and Losi aluminium hexes.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

The front servo plate was installed along with the upper links, RPM servo mounts and Losi aluminium 'C' knuckles.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Apologies for the grainy photos but they are the best I could coax out of my 3GS. I'm calling it a night and will continue tomorrow, so stay tuned.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

About bloody time

Good write up and great choice on chassis, although i might be a bit biased

Another thumbs up from me for Don's customer service, his patience experience and advice have been a massive help to me.
If he started doing Blitz and Cyclone bits he'd have all my custom

Dunno if i put it in my thread, but seeing your motor mount reminded me, if your buying the kit in Europe you will need to make sure you have a .050" allen key for the motor mount plate screws
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Next move was to transfer my steering link that was 3mm all thread sheathed in aluminium tube, sprayed black with Axial offset rod ends. This was installed on the plastic steering spindles and then I got a great deal off Ebay on a set of aluminiums...

Then Don released his over the axle steering link so the homemade kit was relegated to the spares bin.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Along with the OTA steering I decided to give the 3mm mod a go. So I drilled the 'C's and tapped them and replaced the stock kingpins with M3x6 button head bolts.

Then the servo arrived with an Ansman servo horn. Hopefully the HS5955TG should be up to the job
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

So it was coming together nicely but would go nowhere without a set of shoes.

Axial beadlocks weighted with stick on weights in the centre channel and inside of the wheel at the front and nowt on the rears. Not pretty, but effective.

I had a set of Losi Blue Bashers, which I ordered about a week before the HB rovers were released. Timing isn't my forte!
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

More aluminium arrived in the shape of Losi one piece rear drive shafts. I love the shape of these and the fact that the mounting bolts are flush to the axle. I also gets rid of loads of bits out of the rear axle which must improve efficiency (?)
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Nice start its a great chassis love mine
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Looks good. My chassis has been great so far. I went with a small skinny battery and side mounted it to keep the rear lighter. Keep posting.
gdhknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comments. Please feel free to chip in any comments or advice on the build or set up - all are gratefully received.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:01 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I decided to go with the Losi shocks and so far they are not leaking.... too much. I thought about running the Durratrax but the thought of building them and struggling with minute E clips put me off. I filled them with 35 weight oil all round and put the black spring on the rear left. I will not doubt be changing springs, oil and preload to tune the ride. Not restricted the travel with fuel tube yet as I want to know how she performs "stock".

I'm currently running them with the bolts and spacers provided in the build kit with a couple of small slices of fuel tube either side of the shock to allow a degree of articulation. Not out boarded the shocks yet but will be once the M2x20 bolts show up.

Both front and rear shocks are in the lower row and furthest into the chassis as a starting point.

Last edited by neiloid1; 03-31-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:28 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

So I had a roller and was trying to decide whether to go brushless or not. Did a lot of reading on the pro's and con's of both and just when I thought I had made my mind up I'd read something that would change it. I was keeping a close eye on Ebay to see what came up and totally out of the blue I snatched a bargain. Not a motor or ESC but a set of "as new" Losi aluminium beadlocks complete with Flat Irons for $30 !!
Attached Images

Last edited by neiloid1; 03-31-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:50 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I reckon I could get nearly the asking price of the wheels back by selling the Flat Irons and memory foams. So I put on my Bashers with their blue foams and the bolt on weights in the front and nothing in the rears. Weighted fronts came in at 5gms heavier than the Axials, so I was a happy chappy. Sat back and revelled in their shiny loveliness. Then mounted them ( so to speak !)
Attached Images

Last edited by neiloid1; 03-31-2011 at 08:18 AM.