Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Crawllife crawls into the 1.9 class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #41
Fifth dimension

Default Re: Crawllife crawls into the 1.9 class

I have to hope guys. My mini voodoos won't be here until my second comp. worst part is, the plan was to have 3 sets. Big rovers, stock rovers and mini voodoos. I caved and sent my 8 stock rovers to EY to give the laalaa's a shot on my sporty. We shall see.
Crawllife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
I have to hope guys. My mini voodoos won't be here until my second comp. worst part is, the plan was to have 3 sets. Big rovers, stock rovers and mini voodoos. I caved and sent my 8 stock rovers to EY to give the laalaa's a shot on my sporty. We shall see.
I know a guy that has some 1.9 voodoo sitting on his work bench. I have been waiting for another member to get me wheels so I can mount them up. We could do a switch a roo, if you want. I don't see me getting the rings, weights and wheels by the first comp.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:44 AM   #43
E.Y. Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I know a guy that has some 1.9 voodoo sitting on his work bench. I have been waiting for another member to get me wheels so I can mount them up. We could do a switch a roo, if you want. I don't see me getting the rings, weights and wheels by the first comp.
If you do that since I'm making the same set for David I can just send you the set I make for him
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good David. I knew the behind axle might work. Now you just need an arm for the front side
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #45
Fifth dimension

One killer part came in this week. A gift from EY Designs. A carbon servo/4link will electronics plate. A friend is stopping over today to help get some electronics in order. I'm hoping to get this plate on and perhaps fab a new steering link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #46
Fifth dimension

So with any new product and being the first to get it, there will be some challenges. The adapter that my newest sponsor Creation Fab makes to provide a clean, strong and much needed " bolt on part" for the xr mod, brings the axle width to close to 8". I want to proved the best thread I can to demonstrate what may be needed to make this product a no brainer for masses. I know a few venders that are working on new steering arms for wraith knuckles. If you bevel a carbon arm ( much like what is needed on the new Dlux knuckles) there should be enough room. Provided you use flat head, reassessed screws. However I believe xr knuckles ( vp with stock arms, plastic or any make with a " non high steer") are going to be the best choice. BTA steering is the ticket for this class anyways. I'm hoping in the next day or 2 I'll have some xr knuckles mounted up with my .5" Dlux wheel. If I don't need to fab up a new link, I believe this will be the obvious choice for this mod on this axle. I'm just too beat to make the switch today. However I did test the theory on a friends xr today by putting my .5" wheel with a standard shift hub over vp knucks with stock steering arm. Plenty of room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2014, 01:44 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

When you say BTA steering you mean the steering arms facing back and the tie rod being OTA?

Biggest flaw running plastic knucks is that you only got mounting holes on one side making BTA steering really hard or even impossible!
BliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:00 AM   #48
Fifth dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by BliB View Post
When you say BTA steering you mean the steering arms facing back and the tie rod being OTA?

Biggest flaw running plastic knucks is that you only got mounting holes on one side making BTA steering really hard or even impossible!
I know that the plastic option is not going to be the most popular. I'm hoping I can get my vp's on today to show that they are a good fit and I will be moving forward with rapping this build up. I was simply pointing out that it would be possible with plastic, not perfect . For the last week I've had the wraith knuckles set up in a fashion to emulate what the xr knuckle does. I've posted pics of my steering link being BTA and the drag being out front. Life was good until I went to mount up my wheels and wrap up. It was then that I realized that for the " bolt up and go" folks on our forum, these wraith knuckles would cause an issue. An experienced builder such as yourself would see fixes and be out on the rocks with the truck. I'm trying to do a bit more with this thread however. I was just stating that xr knuckles are going to be a better choice as far as room inside the wheel with the width of my axle. With vp, xr knucks getting harder to get, I was just stating my opinion that I believe the plastic COULD be used. Hoping to get some work done today.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #49
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BliB View Post
I'm not quite sure I fully understand this statement. XR knuckles are made for BTA in the first place.

I believe what Crawllife is trying to convey is this............with the axle adapters the track width is increased by quite a bit. Nothing terrible, but to keep a narrow stance, deep offset 2 piece wheels are almost a must. The problem with a deep offset wheel in a 1.9, is the lack of room inside the wheel itself.

The VP Wraith knuckle steering arm mounts are high enough on the knuckle to create a clearance issue with the wheel. The VP XR knuckles make things a little better by only having one arm mount and a smoother flowing backside.

Which brings me to believe, a stock XR knuckle would fit without issue. Whether it be the stock plastic version or a "non high steer" aluminum version, I believe that's going to be the ticket with these adapters installed on the axle.

If you take notice to the VP steering arm mount location on this Wraith knuckle and then compare it to the stock XR knuckle, it's a significant difference to gain the clearance needed.

AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #50
E.Y. Designs

I believe what Blib is saying is there's only one side to mount on for running 0 Ackerman since that's what everyone runs and those with the plastic knuckles just cut off the steering arms on the backside... One thing I think I will have done is take the Wraith knuckles and have the steering arm mount milled down lower and the holes drill deeper so the steering arm will sit lower...
EverettY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 AM   #51
RCC Addict

In this case Everett, since not everyone has access to a mill, leaving the stock arms and utilizing them will likely be the way to go.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #52
Fifth dimension

I apologize for not having the knuckles switched. It's 6 days until my season starts with sporty and pro not finished yet. I will get back on this ASAP!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

No worries brutha.. Get them 2.2's done! You have a 1.9 to run on Sunday. ;)
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

I have the stock plastic xr knucks but i cut of the double arms cause they limit the steering throw to 45*
I raised the steering arms to gain a bit more throw. I run the ted VP arms that comes with the wraith knucks.

I use plastic axial short hub, dlux wheel with 15mm spacers
I can fit a RcBros bananahanger with a .250 wheight.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:28 AM   #55
Fifth dimension

Thank you for the tech BLiB. Any help I can get eliminating trial and error is huge. Troy is right, I'll be on the mini mantis this Sunday. But 30 days to get the the rig in winning shape is a tough thing with my slow build style. If I didn't have OCD and have to straighten everything out every few min, it would be done. I'm working on that tho
Old 03-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #56
Rock Crawler

Looking good David, that front axle is nice! Im in the same boat for Sunday, not one rig rtr
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_tough View Post
Looking good David, that front axle is nice! Im in the same boat for Sunday, not one rig rtr
You better get working then Paul.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
You better get working then Paul.
Package just arrived from Mr. Dlux
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawllife View Post
Thank you for the tech BLiB. Any help I can get eliminating trial and error is huge. Troy is right, I'll be on the mini mantis this Sunday. But 30 days to get the the rig in winning shape is a tough thing with my slow build style. If I didn't have OCD and have to straighten everything out every few min, it would be done. I'm working on that tho

Some modifications were needed to make it work, the wheight holder need to be completley against the knuckle, and i just remembered that i used one 1mm spacer between the hub and wheel, also the plastic hub had to be turned down in outer dia to fit inside rcbro wheight and a little on the diameter closest to the knuckle to clear the hanger.

Sorry if i missed it but how wide is your axel between the c-hubs? About 84mm?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:51 PM   #60
Fifth dimension

I'll have to measure. The only number I was concerned with at the time was overall which comes to 8". The 1.9 build is back on after Sundays comp. I have pics of the electronics I need to post.

As for Ram Tough, Dlux packages are always good. I hope it's what you needed to get you built and I'll see you Sunday. Sporty is zipping around. Pro is still bench bound

Crawllife crawls into the 1.9 class - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawllife Grafix- Now taking orders! Crawllife Paint and Body 53 03-26-2014 01:38 AM
2.2p Bug Body (Crawllife Graphix) chris.martell Paint and Body 3 10-30-2013 07:34 PM
Any 2.2 class comp crawls around? Rockfiend South Carolina 3 09-25-2013 12:48 PM