Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Link ends/rod ends?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2018, 11:46 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Link ends/rod ends?

What can be used since the Losi Mini ends are virtually nonexsistent nowadays? I have a used set of axles coming and I could not find anywhere some links ends so I can fab my own links. AssUme it was m3 hardware and planned on using some Traxxas ends I have on hand but once I got to searching they appear to use m2 hardware. I could be wording my searches wrong as well. Any help is appreciated.

Is the m2 hardware a correct assumption? I will need m2 rod ends as well?
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Link ends/rod ends?

Assumed right... and subscribed to this, as I am looking for these as well
DLUXfab used to make 3D printed mounts for MRC axles, that would not only move your shocks outside the chassis but also would let you use larger hardware. You would have to shave to original mounts off though. If he doesn't make them anymore, maybe Peppe in Italy does (look for rc-crawler.it on facebook) - he is always very helpful. I even got a set of delrin leaf springs for MRC axles from him.

Name:  photo-3.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  71.4 KB
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I believe the only way to get stock replacement rod ends is to buy a whole set of Slickrock links, which include rod ends. As most know by now, the Slickrock is just an MRC in a new outfit.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
RCC Addict

BTW, the Losi part number for the rod ends themselves is LOSB1418. I found a few vendors listing them with a Google search, not sure if they're in stock or not though.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I had found one pack of the rod ends on fleaBay and they were pushing $20 for 8 to my house. I’ll pass. The SlickRock links would be about the same or more. I found a Chinese vendor selling various sizes from 2mm up to 5 or 6mm. I’ll look a little more before I leap this next time.

Thanks for the answers.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

ECX Temper and Barrage or RGT would also fit, but are just as rare. There is a set of MRC rod ends on fleabay - but 15$ for a set isn't cheap. And in Hong Kong you get 12 for 12$... I'm sure you found those too?
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Found those and ordered some to try out. I don’t know about having 2mm rod though. Doesn’t seem like much. I have some stainless that’ll thread down to m3 and I hope I can maybe open the rod end to an m3 and make some links out of them.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122900857388

Old 01-25-2018, 10:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Found those and ordered some to try out. I don’t know about having 2mm rod though. Doesn’t seem like much. I have some stainless that’ll thread down to m3 and I hope I can maybe open the rod end to an m3 and make some links out of them.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122900857388

These don’t work exactly. The balls are are just balls. Meaning they are round and don’t have the little flares on the sides where the bolts pass through. It’s still early but I may be able to use a small washer or O ring to tighten up the fit.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxman View Post
ECX Temper and Barrage or RGT would also fit, but are just as rare. There is a set of MRC rod ends on fleabay - but 15$ for a set isn't cheap. And in Hong Kong you get 12 for 12$... I'm sure you found those too?

I didn’t realize you were referring to the 1:10 Temper/Barrage. Although those can’t be sourced either I may be OK with my build. The axles I purchased came with the four lower links that fit correctly. All I need to come up with are the upper links which was originally a 3 link setup. I need a CMS and I want it 4 linked, so I’ll just bolt these small ball links to the top of the servo mount posts.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I didn’t realize you were referring to the 1:10 Temper/Barrage. Although those can’t be sourced either I may be OK with my build. The axles I purchased came with the four lower links that fit correctly. All I need to come up with are the upper links which was originally a 3 link setup. I need a CMS and I want it 4 linked, so I’ll just bolt these small ball links to the top of the servo mount posts.
I am not sure if I got you correct. But you only need 2mm rod ends for the MRC axle and the MRC skid plate. As your upper links will be custom, they can be made from 3mm rod ends.
I have a Gatekeeper GC-3 Mini chassis, which uses 2mm rod ends only on the lower links at the axles, rod ends on the skid plate are 3mm.
Stollenritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stollenritter View Post
I am not sure if I got you correct. But you only need 2mm rod ends for the MRC axle and the MRC skid plate. As your upper links will be custom, they can be made from 3mm rod ends.
I have a Gatekeeper GC-3 Mini chassis, which uses 2mm rod ends only on the lower links at the axles, rod ends on the skid plate are 3mm.

Correct. I had stripped the lower links and thrown them into a box when I opened the Flatrate box they came in then forgotten about them. These axles will be mounted onto a cheap body and I’ll be making some 1/8” aluminum chassis rails. I should be able to fab the rails and then space/mount the lower links just right for the needed wheelbase. Hopefully. I’ll use the m2 ball ends for upper links anyway to keep the hardware more uniform.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The idea is to mount the transfer case to the bottom of the interior/battery tray and the links along the soon to be chassis rails. Hoping to be able to mount the little planetary forward and on the opposite side do a CMS so that they offset their weights some. I started to order some of the ‘Y’ upper links but figured I could make something that fits better.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:02 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The idea is to mount the transfer case to the bottom of the interior/battery tray and the links along the soon to be chassis rails. Hoping to be able to mount the little planetary forward and on the opposite side do a CMS so that they offset their weights some. I started to order some of the ‘Y’ upper links but figured I could make something that fits better.
Don`t go for Y-uppers!! They produce horrible torque twist! One of the major problems of the MRC and Slickrock. I will post a pic later on of the setup on the Gatekeeper.
Keep your good work going
Old 01-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Here are two pics showing the rear link setup of the gatekeeper chassis:

Name:  P1292231k.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  P1292232k.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  83.6 KB

Here is a pic from the internet showing the gatekeeper GC3 chassis. Maybe this is even more helpful than my pics:

Name:  gatekeeper.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  152.3 KB
Old 01-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I found also a pic comparing the MRC and GC3 chassis:

Name:  mrc vs gc3.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  7.7 KB

Source:
Rufus + mini GC2 chassis

But thanks to photobucket, well you know
Old 01-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The pics help some. Why mount the upper links on the opposite side of the axle from where the link is coming?

Here’s the chassis idea. 1.5x1/8” aluminum, paper cutout of what I want, and the bottoms one is the original. My angled lower portion is close to what that comp chassis is shaped like. Now I just need to cut it out and cut some axle plates for the upper links to mount.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:41 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The pics help some. Why mount the upper links on the opposite side of the axle from where the link is coming?
I have no idea what the engineer had in mind when he was doing it this way.

Quote:
Here’s the chassis idea. 1.5x1/8” aluminum, paper cutout of what I want, and the bottoms one is the original. My angled lower portion is close to what that comp chassis is shaped like. Now I just need to cut it out and cut some axle plates for the upper links to mount.
Yeah, those down hanging legs for the lower links are butt ugly. I had the same idea as you, building a more scale looking frame with the original attachment points. I am going to 3D-print the frame rails and integrate the shock hoops as well. If it works out. As I will keep the stock axles, I want to keep the overall weight as low as possible to reduce stress on the drive train.

I am very interested in your build!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Default Link ends/rod ends?

Getting there. Now to clean them up and square them off.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #19

I've just ordered some of these for the rod ends

ftx8158

scottiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiej View Post
I've just ordered some of these for the rod ends

ftx8158

Link?

Link ends/rod ends? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lower link rod ends chevellian Team Losi Comp Crawler 16 01-06-2012 08:47 AM
Lower link rod ends kazuaki HPI Wheely King 4 07-31-2010 09:42 AM
I Keep breaking the link rod ends !!! leeizcool Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 07-15-2009 10:49 AM
lower link rod ends?? maro69camaro Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 03-18-2008 12:27 AM