Notices

Thread: Furitek Tegu Esc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2021, 04:27 PM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Furitek Tegu Esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
The SCX24 worm gear axle is already geared down significantly compared to a ring and pinion axle so that definitely helps. I wouldn't expect the same performance with an 8kv motor on a ring and pinion axle.
I also wouldn't exactly say this ESC is changing conventional thought about ESCs, a higher KV motor will still draw more current, make more heat, and not perform as ideally as a similar motor with lower KV and more voltage geared down.
John Holmes has far more crawler specific knowledge than most and even with his ESCs his mantra is volt up,gear down.

As far as the Furitek most of the videos I've seen are best case scenario with a HUGE outrunner showing off slow speed on a flat surface with no load on the motor, which IMO doesn't tell you anything because even a low/mid grade ESC can do that. The one or two videos I've seen with stock or aftermarket brushed motors seem to perform about the same as other ESCs in this price range like castle, holmes and Tekin.

IMO this ESC will still be the most popular option because of all the new people into micros and RC.
This is plug and play so no soldering needed for the SCX24, it's compact for the features it offers,seems to perform as well as the top ESCs, has the ability to be fine tuned like higher end ESCs, and has some LED support.

My biggest concern with Furitek Is quality control, I've heard of them before with the other ESCs but have never known of anyone running them, now that the new ones are out in the wild I'm already seeing a surprising amount of failures leading to burned up ESCs and motors, and I believe one person claiming it caught on fire.

I'll personally be waiting for a few more batches to see how things go with others. Once they seem reliable I'll for sure pick one up to compare to my Castle,Holmes, & Tekin, as is with what it offers the performance doesn't even have to be quite to the level of the "big 3" for it to be a good value (so long as they don't keep burning up)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
The Furitek does well with brushed motors, but that is not where it is intended to excel. The difference between Furitek and the others is not only its ability to run brushed or brushless. But it's ability to use FOC with pretty much any brushless sensor less motor you hook to it. You will immediately knotice no high pitched squeal. This is because the fields are always oriented 90° providing maximum torque per amp and proper timing. If you motor is screaming there is a reason. Your esc isn't working right and your motor is in pain. That's why it gets hot. My 8000kv motor stays cool at slow crawl and provides much smoother and more torquey performance than stock brushless by far.
Now I am running the lizard and the firmware wasn't messed with to satisfy customer demand for 3s, but I am sure they will get the Tegu refined. But until then I will stick with lizards for my rigs

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Unclelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

mine just keeps going for 2 seconds after I let go of trigger
XanderBolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderBolanos View Post
mine just keeps going for 2 seconds after I let go of trigger
Just throwing an easy and obvious (for most) response out there..... y'all tried calibrating throttle via the App, riiight??? Also, i have an android phone, and discovered via a splash screen when 1st installed the app, and after MANY minutes of frustration trying to BT connect, (before AND after updating firmware)...the app and ESC NEED LOCATION (Gps) ACTIVE when trying to pair, and preferably give the application permissions to use location ALWAYS and not "just while using app".

Also, i believe firmware is now up to like 1.8 or better?? Just FYI.

I had tried 3s after flashing 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7FW, and had the short-run & cut-off motor issue....tbh, i have no idea what i did to finally get the truck moving again, but, i did get rolling on 3s for a day or two, and have since been running 2s, simply because my only "mini" 3s pack, is rather heavy despite its small stature!, Was messing up my CoG-zen! Lol.
....but- always calibrate throttle trigger when switching ANY one/or mixture of:
Punch
Startup power
Change from 2s-3s
Modify throttle curve
Drag brake/brake settings
Etc, etc...

Also, BE SURE to set app settings to "brushed", or, "brushless", as well as CRAWLER, as mine defaults to drifting car/brushed?? Whenever first install, and a time or two it did same thing after FW update! In fact, THAT might have been my 3s dilemma!?

Also i found that (at least MY TEGU needs you to HOLD THROTTLE position(s) UNTIL the app says the next step/throttle position to calibrate!!!!
So i always, yes-calibrate, set neutral (FS GT5) save, when prompted, full throttle, HOLD while pressing 'save', and UNTIL app tells to do full reverse, then HOLD FULL REVERSE, WHILE SAVING, UNTIL the app says "calib. Successful". Then system reboots itself, gives arming beeps, and you're golden!

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
23drumerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:47 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23drumerboy View Post
Just throwing an easy and obvious (for most) response out there..... y'all tried calibrating throttle via the App, riiight??? Also, i have an android phone, and discovered via a splash screen when 1st installed the app, and after MANY minutes of frustration trying to BT connect, (before AND after updating firmware)...the app and ESC NEED LOCATION (Gps) ACTIVE when trying to pair, and preferably give the application permissions to use location ALWAYS and not "just while using app".

Also, i believe firmware is now up to like 1.8 or better?? Just FYI.

I had tried 3s after flashing 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7FW, and had the short-run & cut-off motor issue....tbh, i have no idea what i did to finally get the truck moving again, but, i did get rolling on 3s for a day or two, and have since been running 2s, simply because my only "mini" 3s pack, is rather heavy despite its small stature!, Was messing up my CoG-zen! Lol.
....but- always calibrate throttle trigger when switching ANY one/or mixture of:
Punch
Startup power
Change from 2s-3s
Modify throttle curve
Drag brake/brake settings
Etc, etc...

Also, BE SURE to set app settings to "brushed", or, "brushless", as well as CRAWLER, as mine defaults to drifting car/brushed?? Whenever first install, and a time or two it did same thing after FW update! In fact, THAT might have been my 3s dilemma!?

Also i found that (at least MY TEGU needs you to HOLD THROTTLE position(s) UNTIL the app says the next step/throttle position to calibrate!!!!
So i always, yes-calibrate, set neutral (FS GT5) save, when prompted, full throttle, HOLD while pressing 'save', and UNTIL app tells to do full reverse, then HOLD FULL REVERSE, WHILE SAVING, UNTIL the app says "calib. Successful". Then system reboots itself, gives arming beeps, and you're golden!

Read-Up! Mod-On! Crawl EXCESSIVELY!
Found the issue was a bad connection between my phone and the app resulting in delayed stop when it was calibrated. Also punch was set to high
XanderBolanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:29 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

I just got my Tegu wired in yesterday. First power up, everything worked as advertised. Bluetooth connected, few updated to what ever latest version, etc. I power cycled, checked basic settings and crawled around my work bench for a few mins. Motor quit, I assumed I had hit LVC so I swapped batteries. Powered back on but ZERO response from the esc. I am getting power to the rx and servo. No leds on the tegu and no motor response, Bluetooth does not connect either. Any suggestions?

Fs-gt5
Fs6 rx
Stock servo
Tegu
Komodo 1400kv
Stock 2s 350

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 01:48 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcing4life View Post
I wish I had some answers from the guys at furitek, but so far nada. I'm a patient man, so ill give them another day or 2.
Did you ever get this resolved?

I have been messaging and troubleshooting with Tony Furitek on FB. I have the identical issue as you. At this point, I think they are sending me a new ESC. It really is such an odd issue... The Tegu itself is completely unresponsive, no LED's, no bluetooth discoverable on any device I have tried. Yet, RX and servo still have power.

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Furitek Tegu Esc - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Furitek Lizard esc + 8000kv = one sick scx24 Unclelee Micro Scale Rigs 18 02-04-2022 12:05 PM
Scx24 C10 Furitek and Surpass brushless outrunner Unclelee Micro Scale Rigs 10 01-26-2022 02:35 AM
Furitek Tegu 3S issues... Rcing4life Scale Videos! 0 03-26-2021 09:20 PM
RX pack & ESC, remove the red wire or leave the ESC switch off BenW Electronics 5 02-23-2005 06:25 PM