Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

Thread: New member intro area. A place for new MNRCRC members to introduce them selfs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2016, 06:02 PM   #261

Default Re: New member intro area. A place for new MNRCRC members to introduce them selfs

Hello all!
I've been in RC for a good while, starting with on road oval Racing back in the late 80s and recently I have purchased a buggy and a short course truck.
Looking at getting into crawling, so I don't have to pay track fees-I can just go out and have fun. I would also like to try my hand at comps. Right now I'm leaning towards a SCX10-would this be a good choice for a beginner and would it fit into local rules?
I'm in St. Cloud and we have some great areas to crawl up here with all of the granite quarries.
Brewboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2016, 08:12 PM   #262
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New member intro area. A place for new MNRCRC members to introduce them selfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewboy View Post
Hello all!
I've been in RC for a good while, starting with on road oval Racing back in the late 80s and recently I have purchased a buggy and a short course truck.
Looking at getting into crawling, so I don't have to pay track fees-I can just go out and have fun. I would also like to try my hand at comps. Right now I'm leaning towards a SCX10-would this be a good choice for a beginner and would it fit into local rules?
I'm in St. Cloud and we have some great areas to crawl up here with all of the granite quarries.
The scx-10 is a great start and a good platform for upgrades. And it definitely meets all local rules, but NOBODY gets turned away from a comp!

Anyways.... Welcome, hope to see you at some get togethers!

Sent from the land of sky blue waters.
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:12 AM   #263

How does the SCX10 stack up to the Wraith? Is the performance similar? Is the SCX10 just more scale?
Old 05-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #264
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
How does the SCX10 stack up to the Wraith? Is the performance similar? Is the SCX10 just more scale?
It all depends on what you're looking for... Bashing/speed, yeah, the Wraith is the way to go... Scale/climbing/trail running, SCX-10. It's all in what you want do with it.

I would suggest looking at the wraith and scx-10 sections of this web site, do your homework, and make an educated decision.

Good luck!

Sent from the land of sky blue waters.
CmdrZod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #265

Ok...so, now I've kinda fallen in love with the RC4WD Gelande. Would this be good in comps, or would it be too top heavy?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #266
"GOD SPEED"

Quote:
Ok...so, now I've kinda fallen in love with the RC4WD Gelande. Would this be good in comps, or would it be too top heavy?
It would be really top heavy, they are a great truck for scale trail running, but probably not the best option to comp with, the scx10 deadbolt is a very capable rig out of the box with minor changes and easily upgradable.
nerby149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:53 PM   #267

I look like there is a surprisingly high level of activity here! I just moved back from Colorado. I had an XR10 I comped a handful of times but ended up selling before the relocation. I think it might be time to pick one up again soon!
CrawlColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #268

Is there a decent number of Pro/Modified/MOA category competitors in the area? I've always liked running those better, however I don't want to pick something up to comp if there is seldom anyone entering.

Thank you!
CrawlColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #269
RCC Addict

Welcome back to MN! Yeah, we do have a relatively active pro/mod class here. The club is MNRCRC. We've been at it now for just over 10 years. This year, we're getting about 10 drivers per comp! Tomorrow we'll be in Duluth for our 4th comp of the season.

Hope to see you at a comp soon!
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:07 AM   #270
Rock Crawler

Default New member intro area. A place for new MNRCRC members to introduce them selfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlColorado View Post
Is there a decent number of Pro/Modified/MOA category competitors in the area? I've always liked running those better, however I don't want to pick something up to comp if there is seldom anyone entering.

Thank you!

Welcome back. We have a very active group overall. The pro class has grown from around 6 to about 12 at the last comp. 1.9 trail is usually the most popular. If you go to the comp #4 thread and click the results link you can see how many people we have in each class.

We dropped the sporty class a couple years ago in favor of a 2.2 trail class so people with wraiths and ridgecrests and custom built 2.2 rigs could compete. However, there are 3 guys actively running sporty's in national events. In fact our comp on July 30 has 4 classes besides the normal 3. 1.9 trail, 2.2 trail, 2.2 pro (mod), and 2.2 sporty.

Hope to see you at a comp soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:58 AM   #271

Hey everyone I live in Centerville and have a mostly stock Ascender k5 , anyone live near this area and wanna find some trails soon ?

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk
nickunger2784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:53 PM   #272
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickunger2784 View Post
Hey everyone I live in Centerville and have a mostly stock Ascender k5 , anyone live near this area and wanna find some trails soon ?

Hey man, Not a whole lot of us over on the east side, but plenty in the cities. Check out our FB page

https://www.facebook.com/mnrcrockcrawlers/

and the other most frequently used facebook page for guys doing trail runs and chit chat

https://www.facebook.com/groups/195415420658459/

We're frequently on the forum but the comp/scale FB page gets a lot of traffic

Dana
Old 08-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #273

I don't have a fb , but maybe the wife will join in my honor , I'm really looking forward to seeing all the trucks and meeting everyone.

nickunger2784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #274

Hey there, new to this, just purchased and assembled my Axial SCX10II, love it so far, but have no clue where to mess around with it, im on the Minn/North Dakota border, just south of fargo/moorhead, looking for some people to meet and possibly find a place to try oit my Axial.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Gfmadden330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:46 PM   #275
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfmadden330 View Post
Hey there, new to this, just purchased and assembled my Axial SCX10II, love it so far, but have no clue where to mess around with it, im on the Minn/North Dakota border, just south of fargo/moorhead, looking for some people to meet and possibly find a place to try oit my Axial.

Hey man! The most active crawlers on this forum are over and around the cities. There are many in other places just not as active on here. Searching Facebook is probably your best bet. St. Cloud is prob closest that there could be some mn folks. The ND club is pretty active. Contact ballistic17, he's in grand forks.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:55 PM   #276

thanks for the tip, ive noticed that im pretty far west for the Mn folks, but im right on the border of ND and Mn, so i could go either way, but i will try and get ahold of Ballistic17, just struggling to find anyone who is part of the community, the hobby shop i bought it at kinda helped, but seemed not interested with me. and of course, its mid december, not much anyone wamts to do outside, although i might try to make it to the cities in january for the event i was reading about

Gfmadden330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #277

Good morning ya'll! Just getting back into R/C's again after being out of it for many, many years (my 1st rig was the original Blackfoot). I received the Exceed Mad Torque for Xmas this year (wife let me open it a couple days ago) and so far I'm loving it. The only thing I haven't been able to crawl indoors yet is our couch. I've been reading up on a bunch of mods and the 1st thing I've had in mind is 4WS. Also planning on swapping the knuckles out with the aluminum AX10's at the same time. I don't plan on doing comps but would like to make this thing as cable as it can be. If anyone has any mods/upgrades they wouldn't mind sharing, that'd be awesome. Oh, and we live up north of Fergus. Thanks everyone!
red_russian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #278

Default Psudo-noob

Hey all! It looks like I finally found my kinda RC Addicts

I'm a recovering basher (hence the name)... I started down the RC rabbit hole a little over a year ago with a little Tacon Soar brushless buggy and immediately proceeded to find all kinds of new (to me) and horrific ways to to abuse that little guy. Since then I've picked up a couple Quanum Vandal buggies, a Redcat Volcano EPX Pro, a brushed Tacon Valor, and a Traxxas MERV.

I just started getting into slowing everything down and am quite surprised by how much I've enjoyed it! I haven't yet gotten the comp crawling bug... but then again... I still haven't tried it. I don't yet have a scale rig... I'm seriously looking at a SCX10 II kit... but it'll have to be after my 1:1 Subaru gets a little post holiday love though. So in the meantime I've converted my MERV and one of my Vandals to experiment with a little snow trailing. Freakin lovin it!

I live up in far northwest corner of St Louis Park. I haven't really gotten a lot of chances to scout out the trails as I didn't start to slow things down until the snow was already flying. I'm definitely looking for trailing partners for some weekend beer and tomfoolery. I'd love to try and make it out to the get together in Fridley on Sunday... who do I talk to for directions... assuming it's kosher for me to just go ahead and invite myself

See you all around!
MrBoomBashTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:24 PM   #279
Rock Crawler

Definitely come out on Sunday. Either send me or orange58crush a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #280

Hey dna4engr... orange58crush had the directions in my inbox before I could even get to it... I'll be there!
MrBoomBashTic is offline   Reply With Quote