Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

View Poll Results: Should we have a sportsman class next year?
Yes, I am not ready to build a MOA 5 41.67%
Yes, Dale could use a class like this 4 33.33%
No, the day is long enough as it is 3 25.00%
No, classes are to similar 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Sportsman class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
Sure would be nice if we could have a class that looks like trucks instead of lunar rovers but that's just me
but that means just changing the body, you can put a jeep body on an MOA, run tough trucks or scalers for realism.
Our rigs , for the most part( moa excluded), look like pro rock crawlers, they look like that for a reason. real rock crawlers don't run vw body's either...LOL
TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #22
RCC Addict

I have pics of 1/1 beetle crawlers/ mud trucks and so far only seen one 1/1 with a engine mounted on it's axle.

Eh. Eather way i'll let you guys figure this out. Just lmk when the next comp is
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #23
Donkey Punch Champion!

When is this stuff gonna stop? When are the Sportsman's gonna go pro? What makes someone a pro? Just because they run an MOA?

Limit "funny" looking comp bodies and make them look like trucks? Come on!

Seems to me there are a couple guys who think they need to make other classes to seem more fair? If you come to compete, then don't go home thinking you need to change the rules. Why not ask, listen and learn? THAT will make you and your rig more capable.

I'm done with this crap. Good luck to you all on figuring out what makes you happy. I will continue to compete with my MOA. Whichever class that makes me fall into.
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #24
Web Wheeling

Relax Baller, its not going to affect you if we have the class. TomEGunn will still be running Pro so he can spank your class with his shafty. If we have club members that want to run a class like this, and its reconized by the USRCCA then why not let it happen?
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:08 AM   #25
RCC Addict

I don't see any reason to limit MOA or whatever, it is by the ability of the driver, not the rig. Give a first time crawler Gatekeeper's Berg and they would still suck.

I will shed some light on this from personal experience. I ran the MN Nitro Series for a few years. It was one of the largest state run nitro racing series in the nation. It had great attendance and tremendous growth. With this growth brought talented drivers. With that, comes money and people not being able to compete with talent, money, or both. There was only a single 8th scale buggy class. There was an average of 40-50 buggies entering. Then, some people got sick of being in low mains and not using new tires every weekend.....etc. The members voted to have an Intermediate 8th buggy class, which as the Chairman, I was competely against. But the racers voted for it. It turned out to be one of the best things for the series. There are now a ton of Intermediate 8th buggy racers and new people feel like they have a place to compete along with veterans who don't have the time or don't want to put in the time to practice a ton. The vehicles they drive are the same as the Expert class.....same motors, tires, chassis....etc.

Things I learned from this.
1) Don't call it a Sportsman class. People who have been in the RC hobby for 10 years don't want to be called Sportsman. They view Sportsman as beginners. Call it Intermediate.

2) People like to be able to say they won or where competative. It makes it less intimidating for new people into the hobby.

3) Expert class competitors would be down and probably be less than 10 per comp, but as Intermediate drivers get more time under their belt, some will move up to Expert.

Sorry for the long story, but I just wanted to show where my thoughts and view points are coming from.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #26
Web Wheeling

I think it would help bring our numbers back up.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #27
RCC Addict

The USRCCA rules committee has been discussing the possibility of a sportsman class. It would be a limited 2.2 class. The intent of this class would be a gateway into the 2.2 class. Same basic principles, but limited to help introduce a newbie to crawling before they are tossed to the wolves in the pro class, or to keep a less expensive class open for those on a budget. Nothing has been decided as of yet, but we are discussing limitations like:
-shafty only
-voltage limit
-limited tires
-2 channel max
-no dig
-no winching down suspension
-brushed only
-1esc/1motor

Otherwise, it would probably follow the rest of the 2.2 class rules: wheelbase, track width, body dimensions, etc.

I will be out of town this weekend for Crawlapalooza, but would really like to hear everyone's input. Please continue to post up your thoughts reguardless of what Baller thinks.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #28
Donkey Punch Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Relax Baller, its not going to affect you if we have the class.
There is just too much of a few people doing the work now! Why can't YOU see that? wtf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightcs77 View Post
I don't see any reason to limit MOA or whatever, it is by the ability of the driver, not the rig. Give a first time crawler Gatekeeper's Berg and they would still suck.
And there you go guys. You need to practice, practice and practice! Why do you think the top drivers are top drivers? PRACTICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklepimp View Post
Please continue to post up your thoughts reguardless of what Baller thinks.
Listen...I am NOT saying stop tallking about it. I am just tired of being a judge, time clock, and awards builder, planner and organizer. There is planty of newbies who really aren't new. "Oh, I want to watch a few more guys then I'm running. I can't judge, time keep, or basically do anything but show up and run" Everyone who WANTS a change, STEP RIGHT UP and DO WORK!!! Typing anything on the keyboard isn't work. Damn it, why don't you all get that?
BigBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
Web Wheeling

The lack of judges is a completly different issue.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #30

NPimp, I like those rules but I was wondering on the Brushed vs. Brushless? Is there a reason of one over the other? If I were to buy a rig from the begining I would go brushless but only because most Hobby Shops push you towards that when starting out.

Also I would think that having a Sportsman class and a Pro class would help build judges. Even though I am new, I would be up for judging a Sportsman class but not a Pro class.
LOW&SLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

the judging is the same for all I believe.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #32

run the sportmans with the 2.2 class just give them a handicap of so many ponits
jaydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #33
tjb
Rock Crawler

You know, there seems to be a select few who are far overboard on a lot of shit this last season. It seems the "core" of the club is the group that wants to progress into current things which is great. This past year seems to have added an excessive amount of drama into the whole scene. which has most of the guys fed up with a lot of things (myself included).

What you ALL need to remember is that this economy sucks right now. No one has Baller's, Dean's, Casey's, Joe's or my kind of money. Some guys have been unemployed all summer or longer. I think it's total bullshit if we as a club cannot make it something for the new, tight on cash, or yes, guys who just want to show up and run simple courses and ENJOY the HOBBY. If these guys want a seperate class, let'em. Make it up to THEM to run, judge, time keep whatever. The rest of us will carry on like it has been.....Give'm some score sheets, gates, clipboards and whatever and send them off to run..turn the score sheets in when you're done...

Why does every fawking thread in this section have to be a great debate?? seriously people........... They want it, give it to them.

See, done. If it fails so be it, at least it was tried and given a chance.

Last edited by tjb; 10-11-2009 at 10:29 AM.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

well take this for what it is i just ran the roxbox state comp an i have never ran a comp before that was my first. i ran the 1.9 class cause that is what i had to run did have the money to buy a new rig so i ran that class. now i didnt like it when i got to watching an all the guys that i had to run with were pro guy like gatekeeper an all them guys an it really want all that fun knowing that i was getting ready to get schooled . at the end of the comp i traded my 1.9 for a old 2.2 that i will run in the sprtsman class with all the other guys that never ran much before an like it. i think we all need a place to start at an this is where we need this class. we all art blessed with talent an there is no place to buy it that i no of or i would have done it by now. an at the box we ran almost every gate that the big trucks did except fot the finials then they set up a corse for the sportsman class . im a nobody here but i like the ideal for the class an hope to see it happen
slowride1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #35

The argument about moa's not having a advantage over shafties is a crock. They have a lower center of gravity , twice the torque with two motors and no mechanical parts involved in their digs. If there's no advantage then why were so many converting their losi's to moa's? Bec's, battery voltage, and steering servo's also have to be taken into consideration for sportsman rules. Casy if theres no difference in the different types of rigs we run why are nitro trucks and buggies different because they have rules for them down to the length of fuel line.
mn_gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Why is everybody scared of the MOA rigs? I've beat plenty of them with my trusty old shafty. I bet if the top three drivers all switched back to shafty rigs they would still be the top three or damn close to it. What would the excuses be then?
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #37
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_gumby View Post
The argument about moa's not having a advantage over shafties is a crock. They have a lower center of gravity , twice the torque with two motors and no mechanical parts involved in their digs. If there's no advantage then why were so many converting their losi's to moa's? Bec's, battery voltage, and steering servo's also have to be taken into consideration for sportsman rules. Casy if theres no difference in the different types of rigs we run why are nitro trucks and buggies different because they have rules for them down to the length of fuel line.

Seriously?????? no mechanical parts??? WTF these things hover? Great, now we need a hover class too....Mike post it up

This is my exact point... This is a POLL on sportsman class. You want it or not?

Baller, I now see your point.. Time for an extended break
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Seriously?????? no mechanical parts??? WTF these things hover? Great, now we need a hover class too....Mike post it up

This is my exact point... This is a POLL on sportsman class. You want it or not?

Baller, I now see your point.. Time for an extended break
Fawk the wifes gonna kill me! Now I have to buy a heli too
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Now is it time?

Old 11-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Before we get all lathered up lets see if we have any takers on the Sportsman class?

I'm planning on a second truck next year for Greg's son Jake (Brawley) the Sportsman class is perfect for him as his rig will not be new and he has no crawling experience or money. Greg would run our other shaftie with the open class that doesn't bother us at all.

I believe with this economy hurting 1 in 5 Americans who are feeling it financially and the cost of a competitive crawling rig these days is defiantly hurting our numbers both locally and nationally.

We have nothing to loose if we have enough people interested in running the sportsman class.

Nuff said.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote