Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

View Poll Results: Should we have a sportsman class next year?
Yes, I am not ready to build a MOA 5 41.67%
Yes, Dale could use a class like this 4 33.33%
No, the day is long enough as it is 3 25.00%
No, classes are to similar 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Sportsman class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #41
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklepimp View Post
The USRCCA rules committee has been discussing the possibility of a sportsman class. It would be a limited 2.2 class. The intent of this class would be a gateway into the 2.2 class. Same basic principles, but limited to help introduce a newbie to crawling before they are tossed to the wolves in the pro class, or to keep a less expensive class open for those on a budget. Nothing has been decided as of yet, but we are discussing limitations like:
-shafty only
-voltage limit
-limited tires
-2 channel max
-no dig
-no winching down suspension
-brushed only
-1esc/1motor

Otherwise, it would probably follow the rest of the 2.2 class rules: wheelbase, track width, body dimensions, etc.

I will be out of town this weekend for Crawlapalooza, but would really like to hear everyone's input. Please continue to post up your thoughts reguardless of what Baller thinks.

Kevin, any more discussion by the rules committee on this subject?
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

and then ????
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:27 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Bump.....I'd like to see a MNRCRC sportsman class and if they run on the same coarse I just don't see how it would take extra time or work. It offers a good place to compete without the constant upgrade costs. The unlimited budget guys can do their thing it's all good and those who don't care to keep up with all the new technology and equipment enhancements can have a good time to.

To me the argument about it's the driver that makes the difference and results are not influenced by technology is only partially true. In all forms of motor sports better technology is always an advantage.

Not to say that a nationally winning driver wouldn't dominate both.

To me this is more about affordability and retaining existing members. It seems a positive move to make crawling a better more well rounded hobby for all.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 12-30-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #44
RCC Addict

There's atleast five locals with tlt's, wheely kings, and very stock axials, that are interested in this class.

IMHO were taking a step foward by letting these guys run.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Sorry, I've been gone for the past month. This topic definetely is not dead. I've been going through the rules committee to see what all has been discussed. It looks like there will be a sportsman class in the national rules. It will be up to us to decide if we will host that class locally.

Speaking of which, we need to have our winter meeting pretty soon too. The final decision will be determined there.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Hey Pimp good to see you served your time and are back on the streets in your business thats expected occasionally.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:11 AM   #47
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Hey Pimp good to see you served your time and are back on the streets in your business thats expected occasionally.

tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

now that I'm out of what would be the sportsman class,now you change...LMAO that figures. " I could have been a contendor".

anyways, yes ,I would suppot the new class, even if I didn't run it. It would be a great way to get newbies excited and competative in the crawling hobby.
The one question I would have is, would people be able to run both or is it one class per person or rig. If a "pro" class driver only needs to disable dig, and put in new battery's or some thing to run the sportsman class , I think you will be defeiting the purpose. I think a driver should only be able to run the course once, they pic the class, and run only that class.
TomEGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEGunn View Post
now that I'm out of what would be the sportsman class,now you change...LMAO that figures. " I could have been a contendor".

anyways, yes ,I would suppot the new class, even if I didn't run it. It would be a great way to get newbies excited and competative in the crawling hobby.
The one question I would have is, would people be able to run both or is it one class per person or rig. If a "pro" class driver only needs to disable dig, and put in new battery's or some thing to run the sportsman class , I think you will be defeiting the purpose. I think a driver should only be able to run the course once, they pic the class, and run only that class.

Good question. I know a lot of the other guys in other clubs are building rigs for pro and sportsman classes and plan on running both.
dirtyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:04 AM   #50
RCC Addict

If sportsman class uses the same course as "pro" then you can not run the same course.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:31 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyal View Post
Good question. I know a lot of the other guys in other clubs are building rigs for pro and sportsman classes and plan on running both.
Which I think defeats the purpose of the SP class. to give newbies a place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
If sportsman class uses the same course as "pro" then you can not run the same course.
Thats what I would think, otherwise it would be pre-running the course.

I would have nothing against a guy running Pro the first half of the yr , then SP class the second half or vise versa. Then if the Pro guys all run the SP class the second half ,the SP guys could try the PRO class the second half.

This all pertains to the 2.2 comp class only , right?

A person will still be able to run one class of each if they have the rigs.
1.9, 2.2, supers, scaler(tuff-truck).
Old 12-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #52
RCC Addict

Yep.. 2.2 is only in question

Strange in my mind why a guy would run both sports and pro but to each their own..
Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomEGunn View Post

anyways, yes ,I would support the new class, even if I didn't run it. It would be a great way to get newbies excited and competitive in the crawling hobby.
The one question I would have is, would people be able to run both or is it one class per person or rig. If a "pro" class driver only needs to disable dig, and put in new battery's or some thing to run the sportsman class , I think you will be defeating the purpose. I think a driver should only be able to run the course once, they pic the class, and run only that class.
The last I remember they were proposing one class or the other but not both this is probably a good idea for time concerns.

I think we might be surprised at the numbers this class might produce I think the direction crawling has been going has been discouraging for many due to fact that your never done upgrading your rig besides normal wear and breakage.

Kevin would it be possible to use a RCC thread and poll of our existing membership (2009 paid competitors) to get the ball rolling? I think it gives everyone a better opportunity to express interest and or concerns. The meeting might not represent all the aspects or concerns in a short more compact period of time.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #54
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyal View Post
Good question. I know a lot of the other gays in other clubs are building rigs for pro and sportsman classes and plan on running both.

You ran this class last year did you not?
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:50 PM   #55

Default Toyotas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
So whats the deal, anyone want to run them? If so, I would say you can only run one of the 2.2 classes. We don't need all the top drivers running in the sportsman class as well if it happens.

Post up if you would run in this kind of class.
Hey mike side note. I just picked up 4 toyotas. One is a 84 4runner that looks just like yours.

I think running two classes with the same course that has a few different gates will work great. I did it at the Duluth shafty Championship and plan on doing it again this year. Letting new people have a chance to win will only grow our sport. Not everyone wants to get hammered by the top guys every week.

Drivers should only run one course. For time reasons. I allowed people to run two machines in the same course because I made them quite different from each other and we did not have that many people there. You had to drive a different machine not just disable dig.

I agree with Djiz you are a pro or you are not.....and if you are a pro and running sportsman....why?

In my snowcross and racing series I bump people up if they are in the top 10% of the class. Last years top ten has to run pro...Anyone else can run pro if they want to try it but they top ten should not be allowed to run in the lower classes. This way the top guys can spend all the money they want on the fancy stuff and not discourge others from crawling.

Last edited by kwapi; 12-31-2009 at 09:06 PM. Reason: added more content
kwapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:25 PM   #56
Debunking old stereotypes

IMO people shouldn't be allowed to run in both 2.2 classes. Running in the 1.9, 2.2, and Super class to me would be acceptable because they are different classes all together. I'm all for a 2.2 Sportsman class
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Default 2010 rules

the rules for 2010 says that no one vehicle may run more then one class per comp

section 3.7 in the rules

I guess this would not stop someone from building another truck to run both.
IMO I think limiting one 2.2 entry per person could keep it easier for newbies. Each person would have to decide to run PRO or SP class.

I guess if there were only a couple guys in the SP class I might throw the CREEPER back togeather, hell it rocked as a stock rig. I think I would rather run Pro class,but we will see I guess.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:25 PM   #58
RCC Addict

The rules are out now. I have had a chance to read them and some of the discussion around the sportsman class. Here's what I know.

The only differences between the 2.2 pro and the sportsman class is:
-no dig
-only 2 channels used allowed in sportsman
-only 1 function per channel
-enforcing shafty only is optional

The sportsman class will only be ran at a local level, not at Nationals. If anyone is trying to get to Nats, the pro class wil be the only way.

I agree with the notion of only 1 or the other. Aside from the pre-running issue, it would be a lot easier for us to make just the 1 set of courses for both classes to run and have a few different gates for the sp class rather than 2 different sets of courses/judges/markers/etc. Since it is only a local level class, we'd be allowed to make that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Kevin would it be possible to use a RCC thread and poll of our existing membership (2009 paid competitors) to get the ball rolling? I think it gives everyone a better opportunity to express interest and or concerns. The meeting might not represent all the aspects or concerns in a short more compact period of time.
Yes, we can definitely do a poll here, but I'd like to continue to use this thread as the discussion around interest and concerns. Otherwise people would vote before they read others' views.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Another topic to discuss about sportsman...

If we do run sportsman, would you want it shafty only? What if someone showed up for their first event with a MOA rig and didn't want to jump into the pro class?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #60
RCC Addict

I suggest shaft only for the simple fact of keeping the budgets down and rigs comparable