Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Minnesota

Notices

View Poll Results: Should we have a sportsman class next year?
Yes, I am not ready to build a MOA 5 41.67%
Yes, Dale could use a class like this 4 33.33%
No, the day is long enough as it is 3 25.00%
No, classes are to similar 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Sportsman class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #81
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
7.4 volt NiMH or Nicad

Mike, I think Storm was refering to 7.4V being max...

Maybe 7.4V (2S lipo) OR NiMh/NiCd packs only??? Besides who runs those anymore anyhow? NimH/NiCd is so '08

As far as the whole MOA thing, is the cliff climber allowed in the mini class??? or is it 1 motor there too???

Last edited by tjb; 01-03-2010 at 01:58 PM.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
-This would require most people to buy new batteries
-We hardly tech the WB, adding weight and gearing to a entry class wouldn't work for us
-The losi crawler comes with CVD's box stock, that would give it a clear advantage over the other trucks.

Keep it simple, run the USRCA rules. We don't need to restrict batteries and tires. The point of this class is to let those drivers compete on their own level. Once a sportsman class driver wants more of a challange, they do not need to spend any more money to step it up, other then adding dig
Basically then the only thing missing in the rules for this class is a dig?

To me there's got to be a few more restrictions in place to keep the cost down which I believe is important.

We're probably going to have people putting the "cubic dollars" rule to work to improve performance instead of creating a economical class with a level playing field for growth of new members and retaining club members who love crawling but don't like or can't afford to be current with every new product. Crawling RC trucks doesn't have to be a big money investment to have good competition and a little fun.

Kevin did ask for opinions and ideas.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
How come no one is bitching yet that the Losi LCC isn't going to meet specs for sportsman due to factory dig?
All they would have to do is disconnect the dig servo.

Quote:
Keep it simple, run the USRCA rules. We don't need to restrict batteries and tires. The point of this class is to let those drivers compete on their own level. Once a sportsman class driver wants more of a challange, they do not need to spend any more money to step it up, other then adding dig
Well said.

Quote:
Mike, I think Storm was refering to 7.4V being max...

Maybe 7.4V (2S lipo) OR NiMh/NiCd packs only??? Besides who runs those anymore anyhow? NimH/NiCd is so '08
What I think Mike means is what if someone has a 3s? They show up and find out a 2s limit. Then they buy a 2s, only to find it sitting on their shelf once they bump up to pro. Kind of like my point about restricting MOA's.

Quote:
As far as the whole MOA thing, is the cliff climber allowed in the mini class??? or is it 1 motor there too???
1 motor only.

Quote:
Basically then the only thing missing in the rules for this class is a dig?

To me there's got to be a few more restrictions in place to keep the cost down which I believe is important.

We're probably going to have people putting the "cubic dollars" rule to work to improve performance instead of creating a economical class with a level playing field for growth of new members and retaining club members who love crawling but don't like or can't afford to be current with every new product. Crawling RC trucks doesn't have to be a big money investment to have good competition and a little fun.

Kevin did ask for opinions and ideas.
If we restrict the batteries, someone will buy a bigger motor. Restrict CVD's/gearing, they'll spend the money on a new chassis instead. The guys that want to spend the money will. Those guys need to run in the pros. The essence of the sportsman class should be the determining factor of which class to run. Want to run on a budget, want an easier class to get started in, run sportsman. Want all the bells and whistles, want to compete with the big boys, run pro.

Maybe if we see someone dominating the sportsman class we need to bump them to pros? I don't know. But I'd hate to see too many restrictions forcing them to buy parts they can only use in the sportsman class.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #84
Web Wheeling

If someone is in the top 3 of sportsman two seasons in a row, they should be pushed into pro, black listed from sportsman
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #85
RCC Addict

Quote:
If someone is in the top 3 of sportsman two seasons in a row, they should be pushed to pro, black listed from sportsman

I agree except I feel first place should be sent directly into pro the next season. Might keep it more exciting for runners up
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:35 AM   #86
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
I agree except I feel first place should be sent directly into pro the next season. Might keep it more exciting for runners up
True, except see how many sportsman make to all the comps. Many of the people who get into crawling won't make it to all of the comps, or even enough to be competitive in the overall point standings. Who knows, maybe only 3 people run all the comps or 10 do, that can make a big difference in who should bump up.
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

I'm glad to see some good conversation taking place about this subject.

I'm going to keep pounding the table about the opportunity we have to create a competitive class not only for novices but for everyone.

The subject of jumping the most completive drivers in this class to the pro class IMO is ridiculous this class should be about choice and nothing more why would you want to cripple a new class to support another?

The class doesn't have to be complex from a tech standpoint you leave tech to the drivers (trust) and only tech the top three trucks at the end of the day many forms of 1:1 armature racing use this method do to a lack of time and human resources and it works great.

What we really have here is the beginning of a 2.2 shaft class and I don't think we need to be concerned about transferability of equipment to the pro class but to focus on making this a great class and a great place to compete.

The only thing our hobby doesn't offer is a affordable crawling class this IMO is a huge over site eliminating many.

The 1.9 MRC trucks doesn't get people involved who already own 2.2 shaft trucks and see no end to the manufacturer changes and expensive upgrades that are necessary to be competitive in the current 2.2 class.

Once again who is going to commit to this class? Kevin why don't we start a MNRCRC pole and see if we have any interest?

Last edited by Stormin2u; 01-07-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Quote:
Once again who is going to commit to this class? Kevin why don't we start a MNRCRC pole and see if we have any interest?
Here you go.
MNRCRC Sportsman Class Poll
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote