Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Multi Axle Rigs

Notices

Thread: jebster's 6x6

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2021, 05:26 PM   #121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: jebster's 6x6

So, I'm getting excited about this salt/sand spreader attachment. Converted my cardboard to a design in tinkercad and did a LOT of printing! Probably about 60 hours total (subtracting out all the hours of screwed up prints). The main tub alone took 40hrs.

I think it all came out good. Also got my mounting to the bed figured out. A little metal, brake line and brazing.

The auger will be driven by a motor via a belt. The spinning dispersion plate is going to be handled by a small brushless motor.

Also made a deflector plate that hooks to the rear bumper. I didn't think it would be good to spray sand or salt up on the rear axle.

Waiting on some materials to get the final mock up and testing complete. If it all works I'll be painting the hopper red and the other parts black.
Attached Images

Last edited by jebster; 03-15-2021 at 04:04 AM.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2021, 06:39 PM   #122
I wanna be Dave

That is so cool!! Great build Jeb!
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #123
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
That is so cool!! Great build Jeb!
Thanks. This still one of my favorite rigs and most versatile platforms to work with.

I got the spreader assembled and powered everything up. It all works! I do need to make some tweaks. The auger needs to turn faster. I have a larger pulley that should help that. The small brushless motor needs to go. It has no lo end control which doesn't work for me. I have some brushed esc's on hand to I ordered up a 370 brushed motor.

Here is a short video of it in operation. https://youtu.be/9hloacxkKUA

I also realized that a fully loaded hopper would add up to 6lbs to the rear of the rigs. My existing suspension is soft which works good for trails but not good when you put a load on the rear. So I decided to add a helper spring setup. I think it came out pretty good and functional. I even have it set up with different spacer heights I can swap in to adjust spring preload.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2021, 11:57 AM   #124
I wanna be Dave

Finally got the spreader finished and took it out for a run. Everything worked awesome! It is a novelty but it was worth the challenge. Here is a video of it in operation.

https://youtu.be/qARDKTyVrOM

The only forehead slap moment I had was there is no trap door to hold the sand in while I'm filling it. Sand immediately starts running out. Oh well, I think I can modify the chute on the back to have a trap door that is servo controlled. That way as soon as the auger engages the door opens. I can connect them to the same channel that way. But that is the nice thing about a 3d printer. I'll just make a new part.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:09 PM   #125
Pebble Pounder

I'm don't know what spurred the idea originally, but the fact that you envisioned and then actually built this is awesome. Well done. We get almost no snow where I'm from, but honestly I'd be finding a way to test this on my actual driveway/walkway during the winter.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #126
Pebble Pounder

It is amazing to see the builds that people put together. I see stuff like this and I feel really stupid,
Den72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:45 PM   #127
I wanna be Dave

That's AWESOME!!, I like the idea with the helpers too, keeps the rig level with the load on
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:57 PM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
I'm don't know what spurred the idea originally, but the fact that you envisioned and then actually built this is awesome. Well done. We get almost no snow where I'm from, but honestly I'd be finding a way to test this on my actual driveway/walkway during the winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den72 View Post
It is amazing to see the builds that people put together. I see stuff like this and I feel really stupid,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
That's AWESOME!!, I like the idea with the helpers too, keeps the rig level with the load on
Thanks everyone. I really enjoy trying to fabricate new and interesting accessories for my rigs.
Old 12-17-2023, 04:58 AM   #129
I wanna be Dave

Have done much with my trusty old 6x6 in ages buy had some time to kill between other projects. After thinking about it for awhile realized I have an unused channel and decided to make use of it. It is winter so decided I needed more plowing capacity. Wing plow!

The trickiest part of this was getting the angles correct since there are no 90deg options. With the servo rotating everything I had to get two directions (deployment and appropriate diagonal) out of one motion. I actually stole this idea from a tonka road grader I have on the shelf waiting for an rc conversion.

Everything worked out pretty well. 3d printed the blade mounts that have slots where they go around the main support rod to allow for some vertical movement for uneven terrain. I also include some springs to handle hard hits pushing back on the blade.

Now I just need some plowable snow.

https://youtu.be/JGhfBE-Nn6s?si=F-iEhFpv3775O7_N
Old 12-17-2023, 08:22 AM   #130
I wanna be Dave

that thing took some engineering nitch or not it's Flippin cool
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote

jebster's 6x6 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
jebster's lcc jebster Team Losi Comp Crawler 65 03-23-2014 01:49 PM
jebster's xr10 jebster Axial XR10 103 12-21-2012 11:44 AM