Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #221
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
I can say why I haven't gone so far:

I went to a swap meet this weekend in Folsom. There were a group of guys a few spots away all wearing G6 tshirts and selling scaler/crawler parts, ad looked like they had some nice stuff. Since I sold a few hundred dollars worth of my buggy/truck parts, I decided to check out what they had, and ask a few questions about the comps they go to.

Since I just got an HPI CK (I know it's not a comp. rig), I asked if they thought I'd be able to still use some of my parts and build a U4RC rig. Not only did I get an attitude, but one of the guys told me that I could spend $1000 on it and he'd still beat me with a stock Wraith. the other guys that were there just pretty much acted like they didn't want me there. I've been involved in R/C off and on for about 25 years, and I've never seen that much "elitism" from a whole group at a race track. It's pretty much the same thing I used to see with some of the Full Size clubs on the Rubicon and Fordyce back when I still 'wheeled.

After that, I didn't even bother asking about what they had for sale.

that's the second time I've been talked down to like that by comp guys, and if that's the way they present themselves, I can see why people don't go. I'd like to check some out, but I doubt I'll ever take my kids.
I strongly recommend checking out a GSRCC scale endurance.

G.S.R.C.C
xwaxeboardersx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #222
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwaxeboardersx View Post
I strongly recommend checking out a GSRCC scale endurance.

G.S.R.C.C
Hey thanks! the next one's at Lake Amador? that's 3 miles from my house.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #223
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

I went to a swap meet this weekend in Folsom. There were a group of guys a few spots away all wearing G6 tshirts and selling scaler/crawler parts, ad looked like they had some nice stuff. Since I sold a few hundred dollars worth of my buggy/truck parts, I decided to check out what they had, and ask a few questions about the comps they go to.

Since I just got an HPI CK (I know it's not a comp. rig), I asked if they thought I'd be able to still use some of my parts and build a U4RC rig. Not only did I get an attitude, but one of the guys told me that I could spend $1000 on it and he'd still beat me with a stock Wraith. the other guys that were there just pretty much acted like they didn't want me there. I've been involved in R/C off and on for about 25 years, and I've never seen that much "elitism" from a whole group at a race track. It's pretty much the same thing I used to see with some of the Full Size clubs on the Rubicon and Fordyce back when I still 'wheeled.

that's the second time I've been talked down to like that by comp guys, and if that's the way they present themselves, I can see why people don't go. I'd like to check some out, but I doubt I'll ever take my kids.
I can see this... I have to say, the FEW people Ive met, mostly the people at The Crawl Space here in Denver, are great people, they have talk to me, and helped me, helped me, gave great advice, just all around good people.
Now I know exactly what you're talking about, Im into 4wheeling, the real rigs, always been a Toyota guy, and yes, even in the Toyota world, we get people like those, I had a 4Runner and a couple times a ran with the Toyota FJ group, and a couple of them said "oh you have a 4runner" I looked at them (both times) and yes, what about it? my 4runner will go EVERYWHERE your FJ will, you don't have to be an ass about it....
Needles to say, the second time was the last time we wheeled with them lol.
I hate people like that.
Just find some good people and go crawl with them.
4x4Ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #224
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hey thanks! the next one's at Lake Amador? that's 3 miles from my house.
Ya man come out! I'm one of the GSRCC members and I can tell you that the events we throw are very family friendly. That's one of the biggest things we try and promote.

G.S.R.C.C
xwaxeboardersx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:48 AM   #225

I have never done any comp but always watch them online... ALways wanted to join one but seems they all are in US... Here in Canad ait pick ups slower...
Yaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #226
Rock Crawler

I've been generally into RC for about 6 years, but when I was new, I was all over comp crawling. At the time, the AX10 was the bomb at our local spot, Crawler Ted's Garage! It became evident very quickly this (my love of all things crawly) wouldn't be the case for long. The pace at which new parts came out and how the expense escalated week to week was insane. My top of the line rig could be outdated, after being upgraded, before I got to the next comp. Now, people are selling used comp and "trail" rigs for $1000, in some cases. Anyone who tells me on road is pricey can cram it. I picked up two complete, competitive touring cars with spares recently for $400.

My other reasons? I'm half blind and disabled. If you have no depth perception and can't walk around the rock pile, you're screwed. ;) Also, my scale rig (cc01) will do pretty much anything I want it to do, uses a cheap servo, a $10 motor and looks and drives like a real truck.

With all that said, if I had the physical and financial wherewithal, I'd probably still do exactly what I'm doing now.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 05-04-2014 at 10:34 PM.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:02 AM   #227
RCC Addict

Quote:

I wouldn't pay any attention to them..I call those stuck up elitist snobs.
Youll find a few on this site as well...Nothing uncommon with any site or local track.

Ive not been to a comp as I don't have them in my area but nothing scares me to attend one because they have the best parts attached to their rig.

I may have a chance to attend the PA meet but not sure until near the deadline if ill be able to make it or not. Ive just sold my house and bought a new one farther south..so time will tell.>.I will most certainly report how it went good or bad if I can make it.

I cant say for sure that all clubs ,but some of them need a more low budget fun class for stock rigs or slightly modded...I think a lot of it has to do with driving skill but it does take some set up skills and some minor changes to improve the overall performance of a rig...Its not all about bolting on expensive parts I can promise you that.

What I think many find intimidating is the fact they have a low budget rig and they see the rigs they have to go up against with several hundreds more invested and feel they don't stand a chance against the other rigs...Get that out of your head because its simply not true...I proved that in on road and off road RC racing many times and in 1:1 drag racing....i don't see it any different for scale comps.

I for one don't have this intimidation but many do and that's why theirs not more people joining clubs to compete IMO...Its always about sponsors and money and for those who can afford the best of everything, leaving the little guys out for the most part which in reality would be a much larger percentage of attendance if they would figure it out by now and make it less costly to attend ,and make it more about fun than money.

I can afford to have the best but it wouldn't be any fun having the same high dollars parts most everyone else has at the top of the game to fit in.

I personally would find it much more fun/enjoyable possibly beating them with much less invested.

Even if I liked to compete I wouldn't be a regular in the comp scene..none in my area..Id go back to racing 1/10 or 1/8 scale first.

So that's why I don't attend comps.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 06-09-2014 at 03:28 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:49 AM   #228
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post
Youll find a few on this site as well...Nothing uncommon with any site or local track.
Sharky, are you still perpetuating that myth?
I've found comps to be very inclusive.
I've comped with guys all over the Midwest (MI, IN, IL, OH, MS and then folks from around the country at ECSC last year)... I'm currently competing in an IN series that has a class that even a stock Ridgecrest fits into.
You do not need the best parts money can buy... you just need a positive attitude and driving practice.

Quote:
Ive not been to a comp as I don't have them in my area but nothing scares me to attend one because they have the best parts attached to their rig.

I may have a chance to attend the PA meet but not sure until near the deadline if ill be able to make it or not. Ive just sold my house and bought a new one farther south..so time will tell.>.I will most certainly report how it went good or bad if I can make it.
I have a hard time understanding how you can say that people are "stuck up elitist snobs" when you have absolutely zero experience with them.

That being said... if you do come out, let me know and I'll introduce you to people.
I think you'll find everyone friendly, enthusiastic, helpful and easy going... but maybe we should introduce you as your actual name, not screen name.

Quote:
I cant say for sure that all clubs ,but some of them need a more low budget fun class for stock rigs or slightly modded...I think a lot of it has to do with driving skill but it does take some set up skills and some minor changes to improve the overall performance of a rig...Its not all about bolting on expensive parts I can promise you that.

What I think many find intimidating is the fact they have a low budget rig and they see the rigs they have to go up against with several hundreds more invested and feel they don't stand a chance against the other rigs...Get that out of your head because its simply not true...I proved that in on road and off road RC racing many times and in 1:1 drag racing....i don't see it any different for scale comps.

I for one don't have this intimidation but many do and that's why theirs not more people joining clubs to compete IMO...Its always about sponsors and money and for those who can afford the best of everything, leaving the little guys out for the most part which in reality would be a much larger percentage of attendance if they would figure it out by now and make it less costly to attend ,and make it more about fun than money.
I comped for years with a near stock rig.
At one point, you told me that you read through my Buxom Melons thread... so in there, I documented everything.
Each stock part that broke and was replaced with other stock parts, made by hand or upgraded and my comp standings are spread throughout.

It is entirely possible to comp with a stock truck, be competitive and have fun.

Quote:
I can afford to have the best but it wouldn't be any fun having the same high dollars parts most everyone else has at the top of the game to fit in.

I personally would find it much more fun/enjoyable possibly beating them with much less invested.
This makes me think that this is a Sharky problem, not a stuck up elitist snobs problem.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #229
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Even if I liked to compete I wouldn't be a regular in the comp scene..none in my area..Id go back to racing 1/10 or 1/8 scale first.

So that's why I don't attend comps.

I've attended a couple of them since february when I posted last, and I did meet a few good guys that gave advice, as well as a few asses that cursed around the kids, (which happens) and a few of the guys I saw at the swap meet that talked some crap about others that were there. really I don't see myself becoming a comp enthusiast, just an occasional participant.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #230

More than anything, I just want to trail ride. Having fun to me isn't a bunch of guys or girls gathered around watching every move you make. I want to take on obstacles without knowing I'm being judged.

Now short course racing is a different story. I'm all about that, and as a matter of fact, that's the only reason I would own a short course truck. The only reason I don't partake in that is I am a father of a 20 month old and he is my main priority, and the one and only track in SWPA is quite a ways away from the City of Pittsburgh
44yroldRCFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #231

Anyone from around the Massachusetts / New England area do comps? I'm a total noob but I'd like to check one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeepersjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #232
Pebble Pounder

Talking Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

I would love to comp and was set up to with a real nice berg, built by hulksta for me, few issues I found, 1 distance to any comp is a long way from me,2 it's a close nit community in australia, the guys don't seem as friendly as say on here, in fact on a number of occasions I found some guys to be out right rude. On the forums in Australia, Not just to me but in general, maybe that's a culture thing over here, let me just say some guys were really helpfully to.
But I found it more then annoying,so sold my berg cheap and got out.
i think as a noob we try to milk your brains, and not search the forum,as in my case I had no idea what I was talking about.
I love crawling and what not but I think there is a certain amount of disrespect regarding noobs.
Any way that's not having ago at anyone it's just what I have noticed and experienced. I hope to keep crawling this time and have gone scale so i can always mix it up an do it on my own ;)'peace

Last edited by Trail Blazer; 07-27-2014 at 06:19 AM.
Trail Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #233
RCC Addict

Your going to get jackasses no matter where you go or what you do. Whether it is RC, racing, 4-wheeling, shooting, etc, whatever your hobby / sport is. Unfortunately it happens and sometime those are the guys that ruin it for new people and some end up getting out of it completely.

That's why two of us got together and started SoCo RC Crawlers 2 years ago. We wanted to create a family orientated club environment where all are welcome. Yes, we do put on comps here and there, they are a combination of trails and rock as our club is mostly made up of scalers, trail rigs, etc. The club does free BBQ's periodically during the year, we try to do a mid week evening crawl and we also do a weekly crawl on Sundays which is a combination of trails / crawling, we try to do a little bit of everything. This has been very successful and getting more and more popular.

It doesn't matter if someone has a Axial, Tamiya, Frankenrig, Scratch built, etc. They are welcome to come out and run with the club, nobody is going to give them crap about their rig and we try to help each other out every way we can, especially new comers.

This is our Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/SOCORCCrawlers

This pic is from this Sunday's turn out for the club run, we had kids, woman, families, etc.

My point is, for guys that don't have much going on in their area or for guys that have a elitist group in their area.....start your own thing and make it what you want it to be.

Last edited by HDMM; 08-04-2014 at 08:22 AM.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #234
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Your going to get jackasses no matter where you go or what you do. Whether it is RC, racing, 4-wheeling, shooting, etc, whatever your hobby / sport is. Unfortunately it happens and sometime those are the guys that ruin it for new people and some end up getting out of it completely.

That's why two of us got together and started SoCo RC Crawlers 2 years ago. We wanted to create a family orientated club environment where all are welcome. Yes, we do put on comps here and there, they are a combination of trails and rock as our club is mostly made up of scalers, trail rigs, etc. The club does free BBQ's periodically during the year, we try to do a mid week evening crawl and we also do a weekly crawl on Sundays which is a combination of trails / crawling, we try to do a little bit of everything. This has been very successful and getting more and more popular.

It doesn't matter if someone has a Axial, Tamiya, Frankenrig, Scratch built, etc. They are welcome to come out and run with the club, nobody is going to give them crap about their rig and we try to help each other out every way we can, especially new comers.

This is our Facebook page; https://www.facebook.com/SOCORCCrawlers

This pic is from this Sunday's turn out for the club run, we had kids, woman, families, etc.

My point is, for guys that don't have much going on in their area or for guys that have a elitist group in their area.....start your own thing and make it what you want it to be.

You guys are doing exactly what we're doing......we also have a Facebook page ...."crawling tough rc"........we sporadically post pics here in a thread called trailing in se pa........im loving that you guys are doing this as well......were having an absolute blast
stevetate12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:50 PM   #235
Rock Stacker

I don't comp because I have to carry an oxygen bottle where ever I go, hard to scramble around the rocks, lol.

I agree with most of the comments here, there are friendly folks you meet and some not so friendly; and some are just plain snobs. Hang out with the folks you like and try to avoid the rest.
cameron20118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #236

I don't go to comps because there aren't many in my area, or they are just hard to find, and just want to goof around instead of serious crawling.
TheRockRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #237

as a complete noob:(picked up my deadbolt thursday)-

I live next to a park with miles of trails, so have been out playing around there and hill climbing in woods etc. From the "comps" i have seen videos of, there is usually just a pile of rocks and 20 cars walking around on them.

i prefer exploring and finding new stuff to try to crawl up etc, and it seems way easier to do so outside than in a competition at an assigned area. Being a complete noob, i am not worried about rules or anything like that, just to have fun.

it would be fun to have a couple guys walk around with me, but for now i am not getting bored yet.
cormac827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #238
Rock Stacker

I would like to be able to try going to a comp but the reason I don't is because there is none around me that I can find.
waka789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #239
Rock Crawler

I haven't done a comp for probably 4 years, had to deal with a separation after. Just got back into rc recently, found a wraith roller and rebuilt it. All comps up here are done, snow time. I am thinking I may have a scale truck rc4wd or scx10 next year though. Someone mentioned, I am not a huge fan of a group standing there watching me navigate the course. I have also just got into carpet racing with my HPI firestorm. It's fun, but every time I go faster it seems something breaks.
Always talk to the guys at the LHS, and on forums, surprising places can have comps. They give me info on where things are happening, I also am lucky that there is a dedicated forum for my area of the world.
sdmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #240
Quarry Creeper

I've been around reading a few threads. I read this one through and I've been thinking. My son and I went to a comp a couple weeks ago just to watch. We met some really nice people and enjoyed ourselves. I like the idea of the scaler comps, so there is a chance we will participate. One thing that would help is having a veteran crawler help with questions and give feedback on our rig and driving. Kind of like your "Adopt a newbie" thread only while they are at the comp or a meeting. The whole competition thing can be a bit intimidating. The guys are working on their trucks, driving, or heckling the other drivers. It's tough to just walk up and start asking questions.

I never did get the feeling that anyone was judging us or our RC. I admit it is a piece of junk and needs work but no one mentioned it.
Randy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD's Redcat "comp" Redo "Lady Luck" Hoosierdady Redcat Crawlers 33 07-12-2012 09:06 AM
Crawling in Lehi... Maybe some practices / "comps" Voteban Competitions 0 02-08-2010 10:27 PM