Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #341
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies....

Rules < The truck you love
Tralfaz Blecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #342

'cuz I don't really care. I drives me truck 'cuz I likes drivin' me truck. Might find me a buddy to go crawlin' with, and I might say "race ya' to the top" - but a formal competition? Meh.
Dire Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #343
I wanna be Dave

honestly, I just cant make it on time anymore. same reason I quit racing. its like keeping up with a day job lol.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #344

Comps have just never fit into my schedule. The only points based thing I do in my life right now is hockey, and that's all I need.

I feel that a comp just take the laid back atmosphere out of crawling. That atmosphere is the reason many (including myself) become interested in crawling (and the awesome scale stuff).
ThatCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #345
I wanna be Dave

I feel its still laid back where im at, but like you said.. It doesnt fit in my schedule. The early start times.. Meh. Its like a 9 to 5 job time wise. Id rather start after lunch and be done after dinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCarGuy View Post
Comps have just never fit into my schedule. The only points based thing I do in my life right now is hockey, and that's all I need.

I feel that a comp just take the laid back atmosphere out of crawling. That atmosphere is the reason many (including myself) become interested in crawling (and the awesome scale stuff).
Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2018, 07:09 AM   #346
I wanna be Dave

Well, I love comps, they are a great time to get together, talk a little smack, and generally commune with your fellow RC geeks. But, I have gotten to a point where I can no longer tolerate them, two general things have turned them sour for me.

First, I basically cut my teeth in crawling back when comp crawling was king. Where I lived at the time was awesome, there were always factory reps and sponsored drivers at comps. Unlike racing, the top driving were very enthusiastic about helping people become better drivers, and helped a lot with driving in general, and tuning of the trucks. Comps themselves were pretty easy, you had just a couple of key specifications your rig had to meet for its class, and you had the rules for running the course, easy-peasy. Well, as we all know, comp crawling basically ate itself for multiple reasons, and the season of scale crawling came upon us. I have tired to enjoy this new style of competing, but it just has not worked out.

The rules for scale points are understandable, but there are a lot of guys that bend the rules to their favor. Sure, I could do the same thing, but that is just not my style. For instance, sliders and inner roll cages, I read those rules to mean both are attached to the frame, but there are drivers out there that have just glued brass tubing to the inside of their body and gotten the points for it. At most comps, the points are pretty much an honor system, and a lot of us do our best. But, what do you do when someone puts down 50 points for a rig that you can see doesn't have 20 scale points on it? Do you risk being an a-hole and call them out on it? How about then that person beats you because of those scale points? In the end, I have decided that it is just not worth the annoyance.

The other part of this are the courses themselves. Where is the balance between challenging and just flat out being stupid? I built my club's C3 courses for a while, and I always tried to accommodate the new guys and the veterans. I tried to make gates 1 - 5 fun and doable for most drivers and rigs, especially those without winches. Gate 6 on I would crank up the difficulty. Of course, there are always those instances where you misjudge a gate, think it will be easy, and it ends up being a ball-breaker, it happens. But, there are other people building courses that think every comp is nationals, requiring the winch for each one. This is not fun, and realistic, and, in my opinion, not in the spirit of how the courses are supposed to be. In other words, if C1 courses are too difficult for a well-set up C3 rig to pass without a winch, they are too tough (again, not nationals). Of course there is balance here, trying to get the new guys excited about competing as well as keeping the veterans interested. But, in the end, it just turns out to be more frustration than fun.

So, to wrap up this rant, I don't compete anymore because the annoyance of the rule benders along with bad course design has made comps just not fun.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #347
I wanna be Dave

Come comp with us in central WA, It's all fun and no drama. Courses are a good mix of challenge and fun. I don't comp scale but I'm building a class 2 for next year. Scale points are stupid so I'm not going down that road. I'm happy knowing my rig is more capable than whoever beats me due to their idiotic handicap system.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:15 AM   #348
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
. I don't comp scale but I'm building a class 2 for next year. Scale points are stupid so I'm not going down that road. .

Really they are not, you just have to think about it as intentionally handcapping yourself.

I have to admit that after driving a 2.2 pro this weekend, using dig and burn did make the scale truck seem a little blah.
I love driving scale rigs on the trail, and rocks, but haven't been able to energize myself to commit to being competitive. Absolutely love gates on things like Recons, but short comp runs not so much.
I can seriously see myself getting interested in comping one.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:29 AM   #349
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Really they are not, you just have to think about it as intentionally handcapping yourself.

I have to admit that after driving a 2.2 pro this weekend, using dig and burn did make the scale truck seem a little blah.
I love driving scale rigs on the trail, and rocks, but haven't been able to energize myself to commit to being competitive. Absolutely love gates on things like Recons, but short comp runs not so much.
I can seriously see myself getting interested in comping one.

You just told me scale points aren't stupid and then followed it up by telling me exactly why they're stupid. I can't ride a bike like Lance Armstrong so should he have to ride a 20" bmx and even though I beat him in every stage he wins overall because of his sub par equipment?

Pro is fun, my heart belongs in sportsman though. A solid sporty is more capable than a pro but pro can do magic tricks due to dig & burn. Take that away from pro and a sporty will smoke it.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #350
I wanna be Dave

I don't go to comps because comp crawling is dead and i can't finish a comp course.
Scale point or no scale points someone better organize a decent scale comp in my area soon (Scott) not another lame poker-run before i sell this POS scale rig.

Last edited by tapped-out; 10-15-2018 at 12:19 PM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #351
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Pro is fun, my heart belongs in sportsman though. A solid sporty is more capable than a pro but pro can do magic tricks due to dig & burn. Take that away from pro and a sporty will smoke it.

Sporty rig is just a scale rig with out scale points...

Jk..

Last edited by tapped-out; 10-15-2018 at 12:21 PM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #352
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post

Sporty rig is just a scale rig with out scale points...

Jk..
Duh, my class 2 will be full on sporty built to class 2 rules.

I rebuilt Scott's sporty a while back so you can't say the scene is totally dead there.

I think it has shrunk a bit but those still in it have gotten far more hardcore.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #353
RCC Addict

Quote:
You just told me scale points aren't stupid and then followed it up by telling me exactly why they're stupid.

Not really, it would be more like jockeys having to add sand bags to their horses because they don't make weight, so they are competing on an equal footing.

No where did I say stupid, I said blah, which would indicate the burn and dig made it more exciting. Which is why ordered parts for rear steer, and dig for my "lets have fun" trail truck. Hopefully it will add another layer of fun. Plus its going to take me a year to collect parts for a rig, so this will have to do for now.

If we are going to have a conversation, lets at least be honest.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #354
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not really, it would be more like jockeys having to add sand bags to their horses because they don't make weight, so they are competing on an equal footing.

No where did I say stupid, I said blah, which would indicate the burn and dig made it more exciting. Which is why ordered parts for rear steer, and dig for my "lets have fun" trail truck. Hopefully it will add another layer of fun. Plus its going to take me a year to collect parts for a rig, so this will have to do for now.

If we are going to have a conversation, lets at least be honest.

I look at handicapping rigs akin to bringing everyone down to the lowest common denominator rather than bringing everyone up to a minimum standard.

Blah, stupid whatever terminology you want to use all mean it sucks.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:11 PM   #355
I wanna be Dave

scale rules via SORRCA do suck. and its why I don't go to "scale" comps. the tire sizes and few of the rules that are under class 1 and 2 (street truck, modified street truck) contradict whats out there on the real road being driven to trails. they need to blend class 1 and 2 rules. class 0 becomes the new class 1. class 3 becomes the new class 2 or whatever. the tire sizes.. I laugh every time. I got over that though, but maybe I didn't?

another reason why I went to 1 comp last year and haven't gone since... a fellow local course judge wont stop giving slack to whom he judges, then gets in my face on why his wife has 40 reverses. guy cant read the scoring rules. if I were to go to a scale comp, I would actually have to devote 2 days off of work for travel time to go to a decent event on a weekend. my career pays better. lol. ill enjoy the the rock parks by me by my damn self (with the family)
Old 10-16-2018, 05:28 AM   #356
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
scale rules via SORRCA do suck. and its why I don't go to "scale" comps. the tire sizes and few of the rules that are under class 1 and 2 (street truck, modified street truck) contradict whats out there on the real road being driven to trails. they need to blend class 1 and 2 rules. class 0 becomes the new class 1. class 3 becomes the new class 2 or whatever. the tire sizes.. I laugh every time. I got over that though, but maybe I didn't?

Thats an interesting take on it. Sorrca flat out stole their rules from 1:1 comp circut, and never bothered to make them relate to scale. I spent the weekend scale crawling at a 1:1 part, and not a single truck that showed up on a trailer was rolling on 47" tires. Nor were any of the street trucks that when trailing wearing 40" tires.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 10-16-2018 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #357
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I would actually have to devote 2 days off of work for travel time to go to a decent event on a weekend. my career pays better. lol. ill enjoy the the rock parks by me by my damn self (with the family)

Local stuff requires no time off but I've taken 11 days off this year to go to 2 big comps and I don't regret it one bit. Life is too short to not enjoy it.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #358
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thats an interesting take on it. Sorrca flat out stole their rules from 1:1 comp circut, and never bothered to make them relate to scale. I spent the weekend scale crawling at a 1:1 part, and not a single truck that showed up on a trailer was rolling on 47" tires. Nor were any of the street trucks that when trailing wearing 40" tires.
Pretty sure the rules were around before sorcca was thought of but around here trail rigs are rolling on 40's and bigger rigs are on 44-54" tires. My DD was on 38's or 40's for years before going 1 ton and 44's.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #359
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
class 2=not a street truck according to sorrca rules when it should be.

Quote:
Local stuff requires no time off but I've taken 11 days off this year to go to 2 big comps and I don't regret it one bit. Life is too short to not enjoy it.
local comps suck round me, so... yeah. sucks. I missed by build deadline for nats, so that sucks too.

Quote:
Pretty sure the rules were around before sorcca was thought of but around here trail rigs are rolling on 40's and bigger rigs are on 44-54" tires. My DD was on 38's or 40's for years before going 1 ton and 44's.
that is why sorrca rules suck. a street truck/dd/trail truck can run 44's if you want it to.

now.. if wrcca rules were comp rules around me, I wouldn't be bitchin.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #360
wyd
Rock Crawler

I don't do comps because I bought my crawler to just have some fun with friends. When and if I feel the need for competition I run my 2wd mod buggy at the local race tracks in my area.

2nd reason I don't do comps is money. Anytime you start competing vs just out to have fun it almost always means you need to spend more money.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote

"Why I don't go to comps".....not looking for comp guy replies.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD's Redcat "comp" Redo "Lady Luck" Hoosierdady Redcat Crawlers 33 07-12-2012 09:06 AM
Crawling in Lehi... Maybe some practices / "comps" Voteban Competitions 0 02-08-2010 10:27 PM