Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: need help to get on right path

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Default Re: need help to get on right path

wow thank you brazing mystery solved...kinda still not sure if certain fluxs are to weak for certain sizes but that helps really it gives me a much better procedure I assume fish mouth means bevele I checked the glossary here it wasn't there
cool cool cool
ok new problem lol now this is me being lazy asking a question
are those non frequent bodies I see a static model kit? everyone just says kit kit isn't in the glossary here either
are those plastic bodies styrene?
any quick links of working with styrene 101?
how do yall find/ make head lights and tail light lenses ...the 2 threads I did find..well it was low quality
we're and what batteries do they run on thoss scale detailed crawlers...they don't mention that it seems there is absolutely no room
808eng_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Here's a good pic of a fishmouth cut..

Read up on getting started with styrene...The Styrene Challenge

Last edited by THX_138; 11-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Some of the hard bodies are by tamiya or rc4wd . A lot of the others ar from toy grade Rc cars like newbright . " Walmart , ect, ect "

Working with styrene is using the right glue and sanding to you like what you have .

☆ The Chop Shop What Glue to Use For Body Work/Repairing Cracks in Plastic and Why ☆

Batts are usually smaller lipo's . Under the hoods or hidden in tool boxes or fuel cells .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

cool now were cookin with nitroglycerin
I only have my rc4wd specific questions I will continue to hunt down
and I still need a lead on quality lense building
other than that this has been helpful and I guess it didn't hurt abandoning some of my hopes for this lol
Old 11-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

The lenses depend on what body . But axial has a lense / light bucket kit . And I belive tamiya mat as well . Many just get creative and are always looking at stuff to take apart for that next project . I've bought many toy grade rc's from garage sales / thrift stores just for little pieces . Never know when something will come in handy .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

I know braising has been covered, but the best set-up i've tried is a Turbo Torch and B-Tank (B-Tank is just a small Acetylene Tank.) No oxygen tank required, The turbo "Tip" pulls O2 from the air. It makes a very loud whistling noise, but gets very hot quick!

Mostly used by HVAC Techs and Plumbers. I bought my whole set-up with full tank used on Craigslist for $100. The guy even gave me a quick braising lesson!

here is torch i use:
BNIB TurboTorch WSF 3 Torch Kit Sof Flame for B Tank Air Acetylene 0386 0089 | eBay

this is flux coated rod:
New Hot Max 22068 3 32 inch by 18 inch Flux Coated Brazing Rod | eBay

Any welding supply such as Linde, Gas House or AGA can hook you up as well. Just tell them you need to braise 3/16 mild steel rod.
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #27

Looking at this comment with your daily job being "welding inspection".

I am a welder by trade and have been throughout the trade through the years from laborer, to inspector, to training, to even licensee certification.

I can only assume if you are certified in inspecting welds, you've ran the same ground as I have through time.
Before I ever could inspect a weld, I was required to hold certification in welding for myself.

In turn... Included in the first basics in welding was in fact brazing. We all had to cert. off in brazing before we could continue to AC, DC, Stick, MIG, TIG, Square Wave, Pulse, Pipe etc...

I am kind of bewildered that out of 50 welders, not one knew how to braze Not to mention yourself as a welding inspector doesn't know (unless I am misunderstanding your statement as being in the industry of a welding inspector as it being what you do for a job...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808eng_rc View Post
...my industry is welding inspection. ..I've asked over 50 welders and electricians and no one knew how to braze and I sold the honcho bc I did a hack job on it following some very poor advice from some very not so helpfull people on this site
You sold your Honcho because of poor advice from people here on this forum?

I see your post history consists solely of this thread and 2 posts back in 2011 you asked a bunch of questions in on post to only receive no answers because your wording was so confusing, and the second thread you asked how to shorten your wheelbase. To have received several responses directing you to some very informative threads about different links and altering wheelbases etc...
None of which would have possibly caused harm to a RC enough to have wrecked anything beyond a set of suspension links if you had possibly cut them incorrectly.

Quote:
I've looked on here for 4.5hrs and can't find a single answer...no were in any thread so if ur an rc4wd expert...the answer hasn't been posted on this site yet and the brazing question welm I can give that uo wen people say "use an ss202 rod" ok yea that helps....sarcastically. ....if I seem like I habe an attitude I assure you...its purely frustration.
Brazing has been covered here endlessly.... With some most excellent step by step how to's and even quite a few insanely helpful how to videos and video links.

As for the mention of ss202 ...

Again I wonder about being certified to be a welding inspector. Every AC/DC rod, MIG wire, TIG Tungsten, filler rod etc... Should have been your basics. If as an inspector, you don't know what should have been used to produce the correct weld, how could you possibly know what to look for in imperfections or shortcomings to pass or fail or advise to corrections?

I guess forget being a certified welding inspector... A quick trip to google would explain ss202 is stainless steel MIG wire and it's further details

Quote:
its really not....everyone talks about clods or comps...the axial info is soooo thick and everyone here seems to be cocky assholes....just lay the info down or don't reply I wouldn't waiste ur time....not bein a dick but I'm not liking the attitude I get from the people here and I haven't acted like a dick at all to anyone just asked for extensive temporary help that's all
I am more then sure you won't like the response here, but it seems you've only received a response to the attitude you've given people.

Quote:
how do yall find/ make head lights and tail light lenses ...the 2 threads I did find..well it was low quality
we're and what batteries do they run on thoss scale detailed crawlers...they don't mention that it seems there is absolutely no room
I will take this moment to say that most everything beyond a factory built kit is CUSTOM.
To complain about battery size and having no room?... Hahah... Welcome to the world of scale building!!! Battery fitment is only one of the late night cursing fits you will come across. We all fight the same battles and to ask for an instant carved in stone answer for some things such as battery fitment is near impossible. Once you start something custom, expect everything in the build to follow suit needing to also be custom. It's ALL trial and error and hands on experimentation to make things work.
Heck man... I always thought that was the sole reason we built these things...
The CHALLENGE to figure things out!
Personally, if I wanted set in stone answers, I would buy an AXIAL kit.

Quote:
I was thinking about buy a plastic honcho interior and cutting or trimming it down to size
I really wish I could get ahold of some one at rc4wd I habe heen thru there website more than you can imagine and there is so much flawex and lack of detailed crap.....that's why I have looked at it for so long they advertise transfer cases they don't have...on ebay are there own brand parts..they don't even have on there website and the ebay site offers even less info...kinda hard to know were to put the money
Real life exists... Things do go out of stock. RC4WD is not the only place that runs out of stock. Yes, it will still appear for sale, but be marked as "Out of Stock" that is when you pay for pre-order and sit in wait, or move to the next place in search of the same item.
eBay is eBay, comparing it to anything else is demon in itself.

Quote:
I don't want to take months to build this rig......if I have the funds and find the answers for the parts I need I will buy and build it with in 72hrs of receiving all and final parts brazing....idk it would help if I knew what type of torches can be used if there is any prep of the tubing needed what size flux I need for what size tubing then atleast i have a staring point but I cannot find even such simple answers...trust me I'm not lazy I have searched
I still have a few rc4wd specific questio if any one knows an expert since unfortunately all my other questions been solved or abandoned bc its not worth it thanks to some of the fellow jackass members who decide to seem like an rc god and be a snide ass

"I don't want to take months to build this rig......if I have the funds and find the answers for the parts I need I will buy and build it with in 72hrs of receiving all and final parts brazing"....

WHOA!!!!! If you can manage all that in 72 hours time even with every last item in front of you, then please video tape the process!!!!
Custom rigs like you are expecting, even from seasoned veteran builders take weeks and sometimes months to complete.

Once again you insist on information on the basics of welding, brazing and even how to properly prep things, but say you are a welding inspector. My friend, you have me confused at best.

and.... As to your last comment of
" thanks to some of the fellow jackass members who decide to seem like an rc god and be a snide ass"
Well, I have no doubt that you've most likely lumped me up in there also for not agreeing with your insults and rants against our member base here at RCC.

I have seen many offer you some great advice for you to only ignore it.
I have seen many try to direct you to some great how to's for you to also not want to bother with reading or watching to learn what you ask about.
I have even seen members politely offer up for you to take a deep breath and come back at things with a fresh perspective only to either be ignored or insulted.

I will end this short novel saying there is no substitute for reading or hands on trial and error experience.

Custom RC work and skills do not come in a bottle or by magic wand.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-02-2013 at 03:42 PM.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

wow youre a moderator? !
you're very misunderstanding of people and judgemental
I have not ignored any ones advice I don't have a computer at the moment and use my phone and have not found a video on brazing
I have also had another account here were I have pm'd other users for my advice
I hold certs in MT, PT, UT, RT, ET, GUL weld and pipe inspection. ..I don't know if you know what these things are but a lot of welders don't even know ...and I'm in a refinery are....not everything is under a 2" sch 40 cs pipe sir you may be a moderator but are a very very judgmental and unhelpful person..I do t know what you're job is but you seem to miss the point of the help section with out fear of bullies like you.....be a comrade not a nazi this place is to share and help for the passion of the hobby...not to act like king supreme
Old 11-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

I see you said you still have specific rc4wd questions? Post them up and I'm sure we can help you find the answer needed.

It also looks like you've found your way through what you need for brazing, so do assume your working in the styrene info for the body work. All the links I've seen posted for you should offer all the info needed but if you have a specific question regarding something in styrene let me know.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
wow youre a moderator? !
I have not ignored any ones advice I don't have a computer at the moment and use my phone and have not found a video on brazing
I hold certs in MT, PT, UT, RT, ET, GUL weld and pipe inspection. ..I don't know if you know what these things are but a lot of welders don't even know ...and I'm in a refinery are....not everything is under a 2" sch 40 cs pipe sir you may be a moderator but are a very very judgmental and unhelpful person..I do t know what you're job is but you seem to miss the point of the help section with out fear of bullies like you.....be a comrade not a nazi this place is to share and help for the passion of the hobby...not to act like king supreme

Alright listen here. I HIGHLY advise you change your attitude now. If you start flaming a moderator now, you'll never be able to search this forum again. If you don't understand that, it means you probably will be banned.

Also, I don't understand how you do not know how to braze.... I'm a certified welder and that was one of the first things that was taught. You sir are a VERY hardheaded person and I'm very surprised members are actually trying to help your ignorant self. I don't know why you ignore everyone's help.... They've obviously had more than just a stock Honcho

Again, settle down, come back tomorrow with a different state of mind and a different attitude and I'm sure more people would be more than happy to answer your questions.

Also, THX_138 isn't being judgmental of you. Everything that he has said all came from your own responses. So really, you put this on yourself. None of us here are "King Supreme" or "RC Gods". We're just telling you what works and what doesn't.

Have a nice night.

Last edited by Lentsnh2012; 11-02-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

I'm a engineer also have my P.E, I would first say I've seen nothing but good things from people on this site, and after reading the post seems to me people have offered some good help. My dad always said more friends with honey then vinegar.
Jarhead01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

any one who has offered help as not been turned to with a deaf ear or insult
and I don't sleep but 5hrs a week I have a 65+hr job and single father of two kids and a disease my veterans benefit does not cover....if I set my mind to building something it shall be done sorry if I insulated you or made you feel inadequate by saying I would complete a task I such time
my advice for you would be to re read what I wrote with an open and un prejudice mind you completely missed a lot of the compliments and gratitude I have displayed and yes I know I have shunned some rcc members....but it was just.
and my rc4wd experience reffers to people, adds, and even advertisements on here for products they sale but wen at there products sections these items are no where to be found and I didnt complain about battery placement. .I simply asked.....I don't know were you get off just jumping to accusations and false pretenses
Old 11-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #33

Quote:
wow youre a moderator? !
Yes I am a moderator and I apologize for allowing your comments in insults and name calling of our RCC members get to me.
I guess I am supposed to ignore it and let things go unmentioned?

I too am certified for pipe, but only in the US. But what I was getting at was for myself to make it to be pipe cert., I had to start at the bottom with the most basics of basics. There was no skipping a class or section that allowed me to begin my career at certifying and licensing welders or being cert approved to pipe and bridge.

If you come at people with a better tone, you would surely getbresponse in a better tone.

Like I aforementioned, once you go "custom", everything ends up being custom which in turn makes the need for your questions to be a bit more specific and with the expectations of doing a lot of reading and time and error work to figure things out... Unless of course you might have someone local that can hands on help you out which would things way easier.

Most of the questions you ask are not instant answers.

When a person asks "how do I braze"

And someone in turns directs them to instructions and videos, beyond a visit to your house and a hands on lesson, there really isnt much else a person could offer for help???
Old 11-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

I haven't ignored anyone at all are yall blind lol...omg I'm defensive but everyone is prosecuting me unjustly
dan thanks yes the links helped a lot like I said earlier
I've only explained in the past that my experience here was less than crappy that's all....then I just get swarmed with people insulting me I have not and I say again have NOT ignored any help or suggestions. ...some suggestions were misconstrued so I let them know....im not an aws inspector. ..I am an n.d.t inspector we don't have to know how to weld...but we can damn sure tell welders why they suck at it if I see a bunch of I.p. in a weld...and I'm a structural and mechanical engineer wen I asked for specific braze help it was mainly material compatibility issues I don't wanna use a weak flux or a heavy flux and burn through material but I'm good now thanks for the help with that issue......
Old 11-02-2013, 05:22 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Also, THX_138 isn't being judgmental of you. Everything that he has said all came from your own responses. So really, you put this on yourself. None of us here are "King Supreme" or "RC Gods". We're just telling you what works and what doesn't.

x2 , the last thing THX is , is a bully. however he is quite helpful and knowledgeable. all he did was ask some questions and gave you some answers. insulting members and mods really isn't going to help your cause. I also would like to see you build a custom rig in 72 hrs.

you talk a lot of crap and remind everyone how smart you are so when you do get your pile of parts in front of you, please do make a vid on your speedy build. my guess is you can.t do it in your time frame.

good luck
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #36
Rock Stacker

maybe its not my tone after all these are letters on a screen!!
or maybe people are just plain and simply MISUNDERSTANDING MY TONE

new developments I would like to just have a scale truck body not jeep not toyota not land rover
with working head and tail lights no fancy wipers or working Windows or opening doors on a trail finder 2 frame brazing will help if I go truggy and to build an exo cage so thanks there

I need leads on finding a body other that swap meets and would it still be 1:10 scale for plastic..seem to be near impossible to find on internet. ...or would it be 1:12 sitesddon't give me deminsions

and rc4wd questions would be best way to bolt body with out using post and clips
and why won't d40 and k44 axles work with certain trans cases...? prop shaft issue or?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I have a 65+hr job
Working those hours doing what you do, you must make a shitload of money. Just make a wishlist of what you want, and find someone here to build it and ship it to you ready to go. Save yourself all this aggravation. I know that's what I would do working that many hours per week. My hat is off to you though...I couldn't even comprehend working that much every week.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #38

Quote:
maybe its not my tone after all these are letters on a screen!!
or maybe people are just plain and simply MISUNDERSTANDING MY TONE

new developments I would like to just have a scale truck body not jeep not toyota not land rover
with working head and tail lights no fancy wipers or working Windows or opening doors on a trail finder 2 frame brazing will help if I go truggy and to build an exo cage so thanks there
Silver solder makes for a nice joint that leaves for a super strong joint with little to no clean up

I need leads on finding a body other that swap meetsThere are many that pop up here in the classifieds sections
You also have the option of buying a whole toy on eBay or craigslist, or even at a department store and robbing the body off.
NewBright is a common toy maker for 1:10 scale hard bodies.
RPPHobby also has a decent selection of new hard bodies
and would it still be 1:10 scale for plastic..seem to be near impossible to find on internet. ...or would it be 1:12 sitesddon't give me deminsions
Some online stores will show dimensions, reading through several posts here on RCC will show most any others

and rc4wd questions would be best way to bolt body with out using post and clips
All personal preference , for scale appearance Velcro works well, or keep your posts and clips under the truck

and why won't d40 and k44 axles work with certain trans cases...? prop shaft issue or?
News to me except maybe they mean different size diameters on each end causing a custom driveshaft being needed.

Last edited by THX_138; 11-02-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

an rc4wd dealer in so cal didn't even know but on the site it clearly says only compatible with certain trans I just didn't wanna buy a tcase with out it being the proper one even if I liked it better unless there was a custom fix
I did after I posted the reply find a reasnable batter placement with a 2c on either side of the tcase between frame rails with a y connector
any one know of a b.a.s setup for yota or trex or other rc4wd axles haven't found any so doesn't mean there not out there jusy means I need help if any one knows

I don't doubt there are helpfull threads but I honestly can't seem to find them thanks for the lead on bodies tho I searched like 16websites and they didn't have deminsions but ill stick with 1:10 thanks for that
how do I keep the posts under body and be able to clip in pins I do remember seeing a big thread about this a while back but can't seem to find it

and I don't have access to these classifieds tho but the hunt continues

Last edited by THX_138; 11-02-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Merged
Old 11-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #40

Instead of mounting posts on the chassis pointing up and drilling through top of the body, fab some posts to the underside of the body pointing down and pin them on from the underside. Or point the chassis posts downward and use some inner mounting tabs with holes in them on the inside/underside of body.

You can also glue rare earth magnets to the body and use those to hold it on. They are plenty strong enough to hold any 1:10 body on

need help to get on right path - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Wraith, am I on the Right Path? REV666 Axial Wraith 33 03-05-2013 03:12 AM
what is the better path? jkabee Axial SCX-10 5 01-08-2013 10:23 AM
World's Scariest Path Skeeno Chit Chat 7 12-22-2009 12:53 PM
Am I going down the right path? neuro242 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 10-07-2009 08:27 PM