Thread: need help to get on right path

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Angry

ok here is the long and sweet version
not new to rc world tmaxx.venom p3 king of shaves and so on
new custom world tho
few years back bought a honcho..I'm an engineer and gear head so naturally I wanted to build a truggy out of it to hopefully cure the itch of a full life version came to this site and was over welmed...I asked for help and all I got was go search forum responses so fed up I sold the honcho so hear we go again rc4wd trailstomper...a I want is movie quality scale looks with performance. .yes I will mod it ok here's what I need
are tamiya and rc4wd all interchangeable with the following parts axles, leaf springs, transfer case???
will the trail finder and galende parts interchange with the trailstomper?
are all leaf springs offered on there site fit all the formentioned models? I EMAILED THEM BUT NO REPLY
were do I find aluminum bodies besides arb.com ? were do yall find those bodies with the interiors alreaddy done those things are insane and I have searched for months
weres a good place to find the small extra scale goodies for detail pieces? no hobbie shops on this side of tx that are worth a damn
and last..HOW THE HECK DO YOH BRAZE SS TUBING AND THIN GAUGE SHEET METAL...AND HOW DO YOU MILL THOSE SMALL BORE STOCKS AND FIND THE MATERIALS ASWELL? any one willing to email me with greater detaik and become my mentor would be awsome I'm very passionate about learning I love metal working and atttention to detail so there's a lot more questions on my part further down the road...thanks stevie_surfer17@yahoo

please don't tell me names of trucks or parts that have been discontinued or say things like "get a clod rod" I habe no damn clue other than a clodbuster truck of wtf you meant I'm assuming trailfinder and trailstomper parts are all the same I've been staring at there site for 6hours now

Last edited by THX_138; 11-02-2013 at 02:05 PM.
808eng_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: need help to get on right path

I thought you had to have a college degree to become an engineer? I guess spelling and writing skills weren't your thing. Sorry dude, but what kind of answer do you think you're going to get when you start off by being a dick with the way you worded your posts?

Last edited by Johnnysplits; 11-02-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I only have a phone so not perfect. ..and I'm an engineer thru the army and structural/mechanical. ...and you have issues if you think you can judge a peraons tone of voice threw text....so sorry if I don't like to spell a word out all the way...is that ok with you mr.thread police??
Old 11-02-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

You're not going to get anywhere acting like this . Everything I learned , I learned from reading on this site .im not trying to be a dick , but the 6 hours you spent starring at rc4wd's site you could have been here learning . Lots of great info here that's easy to find .

Last edited by hellbounder; 11-02-2013 at 03:07 PM.
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

its really not....everyone talks about clods or comps...the axial info is soooo thick and everyone here seems to be cocky assholes....just lay the info down or don't reply I wouldn't waiste ur time....not bein a dick but I'm not liking the attitude I get from the people here and I haven't acted like a dick at all to anyone just asked for extensive temporary help that's all
Old 11-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808eng_rc View Post
I want is movie quality scale looks with performance
Ok for looks you need a hard plastic body. Everything else...RC4WD. Even though RC4WD does carry some nice plastic bodies, you can find others elsewhere.

Last edited by Johnnysplits; 11-02-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I've looked on here for 4.5hrs and can't find a single answer...no were in any thread so if ur an rc4wd expert...the answer hasn't been posted on this site yet and the brazing question welm I can give that uo wen people say "use an ss202 rod" ok yea that helps....sarcastically. ....if I seem like I habe an attitude I assure you...its purely frustration. ..everyone says the answers are here and I have endlessly searched with no reprises

right I want metal body but only know of one guy but on you tube there's chat about buying very detailed and finished metal bodies but no leads i would buy one from arb but not sure how to weld/braze such this sheet metal to make floor pans

Last edited by THX_138; 11-02-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I haven't seen or heard of anyone making a detailed metal body. That would be very cool though!! I've never tried brazing so I can't help you there.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I would say to make a metal body to the level of detail that you're looking for would take a few grand in tools and equipment plus a shitload of labor hours.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I was thinking about buy a plastic honcho interior and cutting or trimming it down to size
I really wish I could get ahold of some one at rc4wd I habe heen thru there website more than you can imagine and there is so much flawex and lack of detailed crap.....that's why I have looked at it for so long they advertise transfer cases they don't have...on ebay are there own brand parts..they don't even have on there website and the ebay site offers even less info...kinda hard to know were to put the money
Old 11-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

You are answering a lot of your own questions. W/O even knowing it.

1. Metal body. If you google it the first one that comes up --- Aluminum RC Bodies --- if I remember correctly he's the only guy that makes and sells them and there designed to look beat up after running not look like a shelf queen. And I believe he stopped producing them for retail sales.

2. Interiors other than a toy grade RC ( Nikko, tyco, rc4wd) the super detailed ones you see are all hand made from styrene and hours of searching and building from pictures. Most guys start with dinky rc parts and wraith seats for a basic interior, other than that it's up to you to build it to whatever truck style you decide

3. Brazing is an art form not just a pick it up and go thing, and the rod you named "that sarcastically helped" is actually a very easy way to find out what's used. google it, the first 10 plus threads are places you can buy the rod from. You can also use brake line or standard solid rod (bar stock) most guys use 3/16 size for the scale appearance.

4. The rest of the components to brazing are named over and over and over In threads. U need at minimum a map torch, flux, brazing rod like safety silver or Harris safty Silver 45 to braze the cage together. you'll also need a bending tool or make a jig to bend your bar stock, search for "bender" and you'll find ways to make or buy one. A jig is better than the retail tools as they can make tighter radius and keep them exactly the same from side to side.

5. You will not find a single thread with every answer because everyone does it a bit different. No one here is going to spoon feed you and tell you how to do it. We all have been where you are and we search try something and then redo it if its not quite right. Then post results and ask questions at that point you are more likely to get help if you are putting in the time not just asking for someone to do everything but the build work. Lots of guys just take this as laziness or not wanting to put in he time and this will get you no where.

Searching is not always the easiest, but its fun and you will find things you never had a clue existed and just going through build threads you'll see tons of different ways to get the end result you are wanting. Start digging in weed through the BS and simple responses and you'll find what you need. Trust me if you think of it 9.5 out of 10 times it's been asked already and has been answered somewhere on the forum.

If you still need more help post up or shoot me a PM and I'll try to help or point you in the right direction.

-Dan

Last edited by sickcivic95; 11-02-2013 at 07:24 PM.
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
its really not....everyone talks about clods or comps...the axial info is soooo thick and everyone here seems to be cocky assholes....just lay the info down or don't reply I wouldn't waiste ur time....not bein a dick but I'm not liking the attitude I get from the people here and I haven't acted like a dick at all to anyone just asked for extensive temporary help that's all
Yea it really is .you know there's more than a clod and comp section right ? You know each of those trucks have their own section to make it easier to find info right? . People's attitudes towards you are because of the way you come off on here. Everything you've asked about , I've read about on here . Santa Fe, tx huh ? I'm just down the road , I like to help as much as I can . But damn I think I need to stay out of this section .
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

So you bought a hancho, sold it because no one would spoonfeed you what to do with it?
Now you want to come back and do it all over again? Dude you REALLY need to learn HOW to search. Work on your google foo and it will be a lot easier.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

now that braze info was more helpfull than google youtube and these threads...yall have to understand. ..yall use a lot of slang and lingo..that no one goes over and I can't just go out and blow $1k for trial and error..ide rather get some one to "spoon feed" me then go do it the right way...my industry is welding inspection. ..I've asked over 50 welders and electricians and no one knew how to braze and I sold the honcho bc I did a hack job on it following some very poor advice from some very not so helpfull people on this site that's why I'm this way it was basically $300 down the crapper I've called 4 rc4wd dealers all in California bc I figured that was my best shot and noone still could answer some of the axle ccomparability questions I have...lol its not like I'm not trying and I can't find these mythical threads on the particular subjects put it this way.....since july I've been on this site every day going thru different pages and threads and sections and categories. ..trust me..."sppon feeding" me would be like finding jimmy hoffa
Old 11-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thread: RC Crawler Glossary of Terms

I found this helpful
JK Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Just take a breather,I have been in the hobby for a long time and the one most important thing is slowdown and be patient. When I found this site I first did a lot of reading,then I joined. Be easy and join in on a few conversations with out pointing fingers and just pumping the site for info. You don't just meet your new neighbours and put your feet on their coffee table in the first 5 minutes. Not everybody has the answers your looking for and some answers are incorrect,after all this is the internet.
THUNDER PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #17
Scale Detail Engineering

Movie quality scale looks is a very high benchmark.
IMHO, out of the 1000's of builders on RCC, only a dozen or so have done that.
Here's one of those guys, read through this thread. He covers many of your questions: scale looks, custom interior, mix and matching Axial/RC4WD/Tamiya Hilux by pardonmyn00b

You could also buy a custom built rig. Over the past couple days, 2 beautifully scale Jeeps were for sale in the classified section.
Here's a build that just sold:
KC's Newbright JK

Bodies:
Untill recently, there were only a couple of places to get hardbodies without building them yourself. That's why so many of the RCC custom rigs are very simular.

Metal: As was said, the one guy that I know of that sold them no longer makes them. There is one builder on RCC that I know of that makes metal bodies but he does not sell them. They look incredible but as said, are meant to dent. Aluminum panel forming how-to

Styrene: Most of the non Jeep/Hilux bodies and interiors are custom built using styrene. Here's a great example of styrene work: FJ40 The Twins 'A Dready and Difuser Production'
I think that Dready has started building for commission (but I may be making that up)

Newbright: Was the most detailed complete Jeep JK body untill recently.
It is a 4 door with interior and has been cut up every way possible to build some killer rigs on RCC. (and KC's Jeep again: KC's Newbright JK)

Chinese body: A new Jeep has shown up on the scene.
It's a 2 door JK with interior. ebay jeep jk hardbody from china WOW!!

RC4WD: They make a few very detailed hardbodies as you know.

Tamiya: They make some killer scale bodies too. They are fairly thin and more brittle than NewBright. Most are more like 1:12 scale.

Nikko/Tyco/Radio Shack: Nice scale looks but not exactly true representation, small and thicker plastic than Tamiya.

ok, I'll try to update this post latter with scale builds, axles, interchangable parts... etc

Last edited by johnnyh66; 11-02-2013 at 09:48 AM.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
now that braze info was more helpfull than google youtube and these threads...yall have to understand. ..yall use a lot of slang and lingo..that no one goes over and I can't just go out and blow $1k for trial and error..ide rather get some one to "spoon feed" me then go do it the right way...my industry is welding inspection. ..I've asked over 50 welders and electricians and no one knew how to braze and I sold the honcho bc I did a hack job on it following some very poor advice from some very not so helpfull people on this site that's why I'm this way it was basically $300 down the crapper I've called 4 rc4wd dealers all in California bc I figured that was my best shot and noone still could answer some of the axle ccomparability questions I have...lol its not like I'm not trying and I can't find these mythical threads on the particular subjects put it this way.....since july I've been on this site every day going thru different pages and threads and sections and categories. ..trust me..."sppon feeding" me would be like finding jimmy hoffa

What items have you purchased already for brazing? If u have specifics we can point out of they will work or not. And tell you replacements for those that won't

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

propane torch 3/8" and other verious sizes of tubing its what I already have
I have taken my time people.....if been here for two years researching...I just didn't post this for no reason..I only posted bc after months of research I didn't find anything....I don't sleep much thanks to a certain diseas Ive been diagnosed with so I also don't want to take months to build this rig......if I have the funds and find the answers for the parts I need I will buy and build it with in 72hrs of receiving all and final parts I wanna build a rig not buy I will now thanks to some help build hard plastic body and yes it will git beat up it won't be a shelf queen brazing....idk it would help if I knew what type of torches can be used if there is any prep of the tubing needed what size flux I need for what size tubing then atleast i have a staring point but I cannot find even such simple answers...trust me I'm not lazy I have searched
I still have a few rc4wd specific questio if any one knows an expert since unfortunately all my other questions been solved or abandoned bc its not worth it thanks to some of the fellow jackass members who decide to seem like an rc god and be a snide ass

and the glossary does not cover everything that thread is a half butt guide

Last edited by THX_138; 11-02-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

RCCrawler.com- Your #1 source for Radio Controlled Rockcrawling!

Try this article .

need help to get on right path - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Wraith, am I on the Right Path? REV666 Axial Wraith 33 03-05-2013 03:12 AM
what is the better path? jkabee Axial SCX-10 5 01-08-2013 10:23 AM
World's Scariest Path Skeeno Chit Chat 7 12-22-2009 12:53 PM
Am I going down the right path? neuro242 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 13 10-07-2009 08:27 PM