Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New Crawler/ Rock Racer for under $200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #21

Default Re: New Crawler/ Rock Racer for under $200

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
I get what you're saying, but for what he's asking, the feiyue doesn't seem like a good idea. between this thread and his other one, he's mentioned wanting to run a twin stick, have a rock racer that goes jogging speed, run brushless, and be able to compare it to (by his estimation) trucks in the $150 range (I'm assuming non-crawlers, at that price). the feiyue is small and won't handle big enough tires to crawl or bash on rocks, the diffs are the same size as my rc18t and are pot metal. the rear axle shafts are tiny as well, and the front axles shafts are hard plastic.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the diffs are also open/open f/r, so he would need to jb weld or lock the diffs some other way, putting more stress on the little gears/axles.

EDIT edit: I should also point out, I've been involved in R/C since 1985, and seen a lot of people try getting into it cheap, and either getting turned off by it completely, or spending more in the long run and getting rid of or throwing away their first purchase.

I guess I was just misled by the title that he might want a rock racer or a crawler not both in one which I imagine is tough in that price range.
troyweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but for what he's asking, the feiyue doesn't seem like a good idea. between this thread and his other one, he's mentioned wanting to run a twin stick, have a rock racer that goes jogging speed, run brushless, and be able to compare it to (by his estimation) trucks in the $150 range (I'm assuming non-crawlers, at that price). the feiyue is small and won't handle big enough tires to crawl or bash on rocks, the diffs are the same size as my rc18t and are pot metal. the rear axle shafts are tiny as well, and the front axles shafts are hard plastic.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the diffs are also open/open f/r, so he would need to jb weld or lock the diffs some other way, putting more stress on the little gears/axles.

EDIT edit: I should also point out, I've been involved in R/C since 1985, and seen a lot of people try getting into it cheap, and either getting turned off by it completely, or spending more in the long run and getting rid of or throwing away their first purchase.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
A used SCX10.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Guys, what about an Axial Yeti Jr? it is a bit small but it looks good for the price $160, it can do some crawling and it is fast for a crawler, it will surely beat all of the toy RC cars i have had.

Is it easy to change the wheel transmitter for a twin stick one on that car? how good is it at crawling and what is its top speed? how easy it is to upgrade?

Also, what is the feiyue website?

Last edited by latinomanz; 06-09-2017 at 04:08 PM.
latinomanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:36 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Honestly, for what your looking for I would find a Wraith, or Bomber RTR. Trying to go cheap is only going to be an annoyance in the long run. Also a Yeti Jr. is not a crawler nor does it do crawling it is a Short Course Truck which is meant to go fast and have a very low center of gravity so it would bottom out on everything, let alone it has no slow speed.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickie View Post
Honestly, for what your looking for I would find a Wraith, or Bomber RTR. Trying to go cheap is only going to be an annoyance in the long run. Also a Yeti Jr. is not a crawler nor does it do crawling it is a Short Course Truck which is meant to go fast and have a very low center of gravity so it would bottom out on everything, let alone it has no slow speed.
If I buy one of those 3S lipo battery, can I make the Everest-10 go faster without any further modifications?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Yes. A cheap sealed can motor with a lower turn would make a bigger difference in speed though. My son's has a 27t with 17/80 (might be 17/84, don't remember) gearing on 2s and it's plenty fast while still being capable of some light crawling. With the same setup on 3s, it would wheelie and go jogging speed, but it also stripped the top gear in the tranny in less than one 3s pack.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

i'm pretty sure the everest 10 is a 2s only system, so the ESC will burn up if you put a 3s battery in it.

also, I would suggest looking in the yeti form for reviews of the yeti jr. roughly 80% of what I've read on it is people replacing all the electronics because they last less than a few packs without burning up. the yeti jr. also has open diffs front and rear.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:09 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

The Everest 10 is 3S capable out of the box. I run a 3S lipo on my son's Everest 10 with stock gearing and motor. It is faster than stock, but still fairly slow (which is good for him as he is 4 y.o.).

On my Everest 10, I changed to a 35T RC4WD motor with 3S. It also has an overdrive gear in the front axle and taller than stock tires. I did go down from a 14T to a 10T pinion. It is faster than walking speed, but slower than jogging speed. It is also very torquey. I don't plan to gear up any further as it already can run into heat issues with this setup. When this motor goes I may go down to a 45T motor to avoid heat issues. I do have a fair amount of extra weight in my setup compared to stock...without this it might not have as much of an issue with heat.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
The Everest 10 is 3S capable out of the box. I run a 3S lipo on my son's Everest 10 with stock gearing and motor. It is faster than stock, but still fairly slow (which is good for him as he is 4 y.o.).

On my Everest 10, I changed to a 35T RC4WD motor with 3S. It also has an overdrive gear in the front axle and taller than stock tires. I did go down from a 14T to a 10T pinion. It is faster than walking speed, but slower than jogging speed. It is also very torquey. I don't plan to gear up any further as it already can run into heat issues with this setup. When this motor goes I may go down to a 45T motor to avoid heat issues. I do have a fair amount of extra weight in my setup compared to stock...without this it might not have as much of an issue with heat.
How fast is your son's everest with the 3S lipo? I am guess anything will beat all if the toy cars I have had.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinomanz View Post
How fast is your son's everest with the 3S lipo? I am guess anything will beat all if the toy cars I have had.
I'd guess around 4 mph. Could also increase the pinion size to 16 or 17 T to gain a bit more speed if desired.

Last edited by Smokin' Joe; 06-10-2017 at 05:01 PM.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

I see, still faster than my 2mph toy car.

Can the Yeti Jr go up an average US sidewalk without bottoming out?
Old 06-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Whomever suggeted the Yeti Jr. to you should be... I'm not going to say it...
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I see, still faster than my 2mph toy car.

Can the Yeti Jr go up an average US sidewalk without bottoming out?
No.

here's the product page for the yeti jr. it's tiny compared to a 1/10 scale crawler, with 3" tall tires, and an 8" wheelbase and a 5-1/2" wide axle.

Axial Racing - Yeti Jr.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #34
RCC Addict

It was either mentioned here, or in your other thread, but the RGT Rock Hammer looks like the drivetrain is identical to the Redcat Everest 10, but it has a full length TVP chassis, better suspension (lower links are mounted at the skid, instead of outside the frame like the E10) hinged rollcage, bumpers, wheel spacers (better stability when going faster or side-hilling), and better/taller tires right at the $200 mark. I think the E10 is a great value as long as you're not trying to build a super scale accurate rig or comp vehicle, but the Rock Hammer looks to be basically an E10 with a few worthwhile extras for not much more money. I think it will be between the Rock Hammer and a Redcat Gen 7 when my 3 year old is ready. & RGT 1/10 Scale RR-4 4wd Off Road Electric Racing Rc Car Rock Crawler Climbing | eBay

That being said, I've seen 3 Axial Wraith's and 2 Vaterra Twin Hammers' on my local Craigslist this year all priced at $200. If you don't know what you're looking at, buying used can be risky, but it could also be the best/cheapest way to a decent car.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
It was either mentioned here, or in your other thread, but the RGT Rock Hammer looks like the drivetrain is identical to the Redcat Everest 10, but it has a full length TVP chassis, better suspension (lower links are mounted at the skid, instead of outside the frame like the E10) hinged rollcage, bumpers, wheel spacers (better stability when going faster or side-hilling), and better/taller tires right at the $200 mark. I think the E10 is a great value as long as you're not trying to build a super scale accurate rig or comp vehicle, but the Rock Hammer looks to be basically an E10 with a few worthwhile extras for not much more money. I think it will be between the Rock Hammer and a Redcat Gen 7 when my 3 year old is ready. & RGT 1/10 Scale RR-4 4wd Off Road Electric Racing Rc Car Rock Crawler Climbing | eBay

That being said, I've seen 3 Axial Wraith's and 2 Vaterra Twin Hammers' on my local Craigslist this year all priced at $200. If you don't know what you're looking at, buying used can be risky, but it could also be the best/cheapest way to a decent car.
How fast is it?

Is the twin hammers a good crawler? Does it bottom out easily?

It looks like I can get a good deal on one.

Is this one good?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072M...5&keywords=rgt

Last edited by THX_138; 06-20-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:32 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
How fast is it?
If it really is the same drivetrain as the E10 (pretty safe bet) it should travel at roughly half the speed of smell. All the previously mentioned mods would be applicable though.

I think if you want a 1/10 that is much faster than about 15mph on a $200 budget, you might be better served just going with a Traxxas Slash (just over $200 for a new one, usually about $120-$150 for a used brushed version, or $250 for a used 4x4 brushless.)
Old 06-10-2017, 10:39 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Quote:
If it really is the same drivetrain as the E10 (pretty safe bet) it should travel at roughly half the speed of smell. All the previously mentioned mods would be applicable though.

I think if you want a 1/10 that is much faster than about 15mph on a $200 budget, you might be better served just going with a Traxxas Slash (just over $200 for a new one, usually about $120-$150 for a used brushed version, or $250 for a used 4x4 brushless.)
I want a fast crawler 1/10 but might settle for 1/12 or 1/19 if i cannot find a 1/10 one. It has to be new since I dont know what I am buying.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:21 PM   #38
RCC Addict

That's exactly the same car that I linked a few posts ago... only my link was cheaper. A few more one liner's and you'll be at 30 huh?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Quote:
That's exactly the same car that I linked a few posts ago... only my link was cheaper. A few more one liner's and you'll be at 30 huh?
Yes, I grabbed the name on your link and looked it up on Amazon.

Well with Amazon I can just return it if I dont like it.

Is it faster than the Everest-10?

What is a one liner? What do you mean?

Quote:

What do you recommend, something that can crawl decently and is somewhat fast, not a dog chaser though for when I am not crawling?

Last edited by THX_138; 06-20-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

The best option that's been brought up so far is when you asked about getting a twin hammers. They're a great vehicle for what you're looking for. I don't know of anything that fits all of the requirements you've listed at the price you want. The twin hammers fits those requirements, but it's$250 for the kit.

Tags
cralwer, rock racer

New Crawler/ Rock Racer for under $200 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Racer or Crawler aceisback Vaterra Twin Hammers 13 03-21-2013 09:18 AM
Rock Racer vs Crawler klamp Newbie General 7 06-22-2011 12:37 PM
Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion Orgnoi1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-06-2010 10:07 PM
hobby grade rock crawler for under $200 crawlerb Newbie General 6 06-07-2007 09:26 AM