Notices

Thread: New Crawler/ Rock Racer for under $200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #61
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New Crawler/ Rock Racer for under $200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
Depends where you drive it. My rigs can go months with just cleaning between runs if I drive slow and am running in dry conditions. When I go all out and/or drive in water or mud, I might do a complete tear down every run. Really think what you want to do with the truck. My kid's Traxxas has gone 2 years of general bashing on Ni-cads with nothing other than cleaning. Crawling and mud can be tough on rigs.
Hi, Yes mine will be general bashing for now on my front lawn and road, if i get more into the hobby, then i will go to a river trail or something but since I will be all alone playing, i will just do it in the front of my house.

What do you think about this car?
https://www.amazon.com/KELIWOW-2-4G-..._t2_B01H5XJNNY
latinomanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2017, 03:58 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

That's the same car as the feiyue that was talked about earlier
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:04 PM   #63
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinomanz View Post
So it means it will be hard to change to a twin stick controller?

Also, what do you think of the keliwow eagle-3?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N7..._t2_B01H5XJNNY
That car is 1:12 scale, the K949 is 1:10 and an exact copy of the Vaterrra Twin Hammers. The Keliwow eagle is the same as the Feiyue linked before. There's plenty of reviews online of the Feiyue and from what I remember reading it's really a toy grade car, rather than hobby grade. I'm not sure whether replacement parts are that easy to source either. At least with the K949 any Twin Hammer parts will fit. Note also that the Twin Hammers is small for a 1:10 vehicle, so the Feiyue is really small, more like 1:14 or 1:16.

Maybe you're best just buying whatever car you think is the cheapest that suits your needs, then came back to this thread and tell us about your experience. You seem to be fixated with trying to find the cheapest car, and ignoring the warnings from others about the weaknesses and limitations of these types of vehicles. It will probably only be after your first hand experience, disappointment and frustration with these cheap cars, will you appreciate and acknowledge some of the advice given in this thread.

Good luck. I look forward to hearing a review on the car you choose.
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #64

Go with the wraith or bomber and you won't be disappointed! Spend the extra money and get something that's good and not a cheap piece of crap that's gonna break the first time you take it out. Axial is one of the best I have 4 of there rigs and can't complain about one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bryner250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #65
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryner250 View Post
Go with the wraith or bomber and you won't be disappointed! Spend the extra money and get something that's good and not a cheap piece of crap that's gonna break the first time you take it out. Axial is one of the best I have 4 of there rigs and can't complain about one of them.

So between the Wraith, Twin Hammers, Bomber and Yeti, which one is faster and better for crawling and which one provides more room to upgrade if I really get into the hobby and decide to try some upgrades?

Last edited by latinomanz; 06-13-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

My waith broke in a few weeks my freinds broke first time out we have hundreads of dollers in our wraiths i have about 1500 invested in mine so far its worth every penny and if you build it piece by piece its alot cheaper than buying a rtr then replacing everything or buy a used one with a few upgrades already and fix it as it breakes if you do get a wraith be prepaired because even if you dont break alot of parts you will still want upgrades down the line but thats part of the fun i would imagine the bomber to be the same way
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:15 PM   #67
Rock Stacker

Quote:
But it sounds that unless I get an Axial Wraith or Bomber or a Traxxas Summit or a Twin Hammers which cost a lot, I am going to be dissapointed. I will try to choose one and post back.
I'm sure most on here understand your dilemma.

However, is there really any point buying something that;

- will not do the intended job very well?
- will likely break after a short period of time?
- will be difficult and costly to repair because a lack of parts?

Leaving you out of pocket and with an unusable car to stare at on your shelf?

I think the ongoing guidance in this thread has been for you to either try and find a good, used known branded RC car, or simply save your money to buy a new RC car of reasonable quality. Putting it bluntly, the links of the vehicles you've considered are known to be of poor quality and generally crap. It's well documented.

Most of us have been in the same situation as you, or started this hobby with low grade RC vehicles.... and quickly realised we wasted our money if we wanted any level of satisfaction, reliability or parts support.

Ever heard of the saying "A poor man pays twice?"
Old 06-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #68
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotare View Post
I'm sure most on here understand your dilemma.

However, is there really any point buying something that;

- will not do the intended job very well?
- will likely break after a short period of time?
- will be difficult and costly to repair because a lack of parts?

Leaving you out of pocket and with an unusable car to stare at on your shelf?

I think the ongoing guidance in this thread has been for you to either try and find a good, used known branded RC car, or simply save your money to buy a new RC car of reasonable quality. Putting it bluntly, the links of the vehicles you've considered are known to be of poor quality and generally crap. It's well documented.

Most of us have been in the same situation as you, or started this hobby with low grade RC vehicles.... and quickly realised we wasted our money if we wanted any level of satisfaction, reliability or parts support.

Ever heard of the saying "A poor man pays twice?"
In Spanish we say "lo barato sale caro" which translates to "the cheap turns out expensive".

I guess is like building a computer, I always build my computer, except for laptops which can't be built but my desktop ones I always build them and choose the best component, well known brands.

The problem with building is that I do not know what i am doing, that is why I want a RTR one for now.

What about that Twin Hammers' clone, is it as good as the original one?

Well now I have to wait until either the bomber or the Wraith are available on Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon. For now, I am just waiting reading the forums for the Wraith or the Bomber and it looks like the Bomber is better in specs but people have no experience with it so the choose the Wraith.

Last edited by latinomanz; 06-13-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:10 AM   #69
I wanna be Dave

If you can build a PC, you can build a kit. They come with instructions and pictorial guidance. I've built both.

Get a Bomber instead of a Wraith for all-around performance and a bit more stability at speed.

Last edited by durok; 06-14-2017 at 04:12 AM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

The bomber has a single triangulated rear set up good for going fast the wraith has a bouble triagulated rear set up better for articulation the bomber new style the wraith old style i think a sway bar would even the playing feild
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #71
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
If you can build a PC, you can build a kit. They come with instructions and pictorial guidance. I've built both.

Get a Bomber instead of a Wraith for all-around performance and a bit more stability at speed.
Some of those kits need a servo or an ESC, etc. I will try to look for a kit that need only a transmitter ans a battery.

Any twin sricks transmitter you or anyone can recommend?
Old 06-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #72

Frsky taranis for the twin sticks. I fly drones a lot and that's what I use and a lot of pilots I know use it

Old 06-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Some of those kits need a servo or an ESC, etc. I will try to look for a kit that need only a transmitter ans a battery.

Any twin sricks transmitter you or anyone can recommend?
The only kit you are going to find that includes an esc is the Tamiya that was listed earlier. Axial, vaterra, et al don't include electronics with their kits.

You can use the solar d772 servo as steering for a first crawler, the hobby King brushed esc for $11 and an rc4wd 35t motor for $10. I'm not really sure why you're stuck on a twin stick controller (they're harder to use and unpopular for driving, which is why they aren't included in any hobby grade cars), but if you insist on spending the extra money, the taranis is probably your best pick. Otherwise you can pick up a flysky wheeled controller for $20.

In the long run though, you're going to spend more than just buying a name brand RTR, like an axial.

As far as the twin hammers clone that you asked about, there are several threads in the twin hammers forum that you can read for yourself, just like there are several threads on the fieyue that you asked about before, and I gave you directions on how to look those up. You're asking g us to spoon feed you all of the information, but you don't seem to be listening or looking up any information for yourself.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #74

Flysky is ok. Not very reliable. Get frsky or spektrum.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #75

There is a used vaterra twin hammers on ebay right now for $150.
troyweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #76
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyweaver View Post
There is a used vaterra twin hammers on ebay right now for $150.
The thing is that I dont know what I am buying since I am new into this Hobby, so it has to be new.

I see that all of the Axial crawlers are out of stock on Amazon, I will wait until they become available, on the mean time I will look for a good price on new original Twins Hammers and whatever comes first, an Axial one or an original Twins Hammers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryner250 View Post
Flysky is ok. Not very reliable. Get frsky or spektrum.

Will any 6-channels twin sticks transmitter work or do I have to look for something specific?

Last edited by THX_138; 06-20-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #77
Rock Stacker

Quote:
The thing is that I dont know what I am buying since I am new into this Hobby, so it has to be new.

I see that all of the Axial crawlers are out of stock on Amazon, I will wait until they become available, on the mean time I will look for a good price on new original Twins Hammers and whatever comes first, an Axial one or an original Twins Hammers.
Does your local hobby store stock either Axial or Vaterra parts? Isn't this a factor also with regards to which one you should choose?

You will find plenty of parts online for both Axial and Vaterra, but there will be times where you'll want a certain part on the day instead of waiting for it to be posted, or want repairs or advice for your chosen rig. From my experience some hobby stores only repair the brands they sell and will be very selective with the advice they give if they aren't familiar with a certain model.

Hence why it's good to know what brands your LHS supports, BEFORE you decide what you're going to buy, particularly if you're new to the hobby and are likely to need some initial guidance and assistance along the way...
Old 06-15-2017, 08:42 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

If he is in Austin, Texas, there are 3 HobbyTowns covering the area.

The newest is in Cedar Park and is the one that is supposed to be the crawler-oriented location.

There were some Bombers on the shelf last time I went to the North Austin location, I would just call ahead.

They will order whatever is out of stock - look at the HobbyTown website to see what they can get for you.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #79

Apologies if it's already been answered, but I think someone was asking how fast the RGT RR-4 Rock Hammer was earlier in the thread.

I have one and its a lot faster than the similar Redcat Everest 10 which is slower than walking pace).
It's almost identical to my stock SCX10 Honcho (so a little faster than a jog).
It perks up nicely too on a LIPO which i've found the Everest 10 doesn't.
It's by no means a fast car but a good speed for younger drivers.

Cheers,
Crouch
CamoCrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #80
Rock Stacker

Thank you all for all your help.

I just tried opening up the twin sticks transmitter for the toy car I have in order to find out the frequency and it was not stated there but anyway, I put it back together and let me just say, it is not the same, not the same, I am glad I am not a brain surgeon lol, maybe I should have stuck to computers :-D

Thank you all, you have been great!!!!

Tags
cralwer, rock racer

New Crawler/ Rock Racer for under $200 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Racer or Crawler aceisback Vaterra Twin Hammers 13 03-21-2013 09:18 AM
Rock Racer vs Crawler klamp Newbie General 7 06-22-2011 12:37 PM
Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion Orgnoi1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-06-2010 10:07 PM
hobby grade rock crawler for under $200 crawlerb Newbie General 6 06-07-2007 09:26 AM