Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axle Length Modification Possible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #21

Default Re: Axle Length Modification Possible

Hello Again

To ALL, Thanks again for your help. I have lined up a list of the front end suspension that looks like the original front end. As for the rear a basic slim axle housing with suspension will do as I have No idea how to duplicate the original one and I don`t even know what the rear one looks like. I have tried looking for it BUT can`t find a view.

I wish there was a SIMPLE way for me to take my computer stored pictures and upload them here for a build post. I STRONGLY believe in the keep it simple stupid (KISS) process. Is there anything here?

Has anyone seen on ebay what I am working on?

George

I just saw the rules section that I am NOT allowed to post attachments. Have I done something wrong??????

Last edited by GeorgeJure; 03-16-2019 at 06:37 PM.
GeorgeJure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I have a fully accessorized schwimmwagen and kubelwagen, they're large but narrow.

I'd suggest ar44's, they're pretty narrow and capable of moving such a heavy rig without breakage.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I have a fully accessorized schwimmwagen and kubelwagen, they're large but narrow.

I'd suggest ar44's, they're pretty narrow and capable of moving such a heavy rig without breakage.

Hello

Thank You for your reply. Would it be possible to see pictures of yours?
I would like to see what the stance of your tires to the body looks like.
If you can`t post here either, can you send them to my main email?

PM for the details.
Thanks
George
Old 03-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

They're in storage and not modified at all. My wife has an extensive VW toy collection and she had those when we met. In the last nearly 13 years I still haven't convinced her to give them to me for modifying as of yet.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #25

WOW why can`t I find a woman who likes car modelling, you lucky bugger!

About the ar44 you mentioned there use is from your experience OR best guess?
Old 03-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Ar44 gears and shafts are more than up to the challenge. If the stock housings are too wide get the centers for ssd ar44 housings and use 3/8" (9.5mm) aluminum tube with these link mount/splines adapters to make them whatever width you need. You can use this this to mount the servo on the front axle.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

George,

As I mentioned back in the other thread you started a couple of weeks ago, You need a vehicle width of about 9 3/4" (the axles being the widest point of the vehicle) for 1:6 scale. I looked up the body you have (assuming it's the 21st Century Toys model made for 12" GI Joes), and I don't think the vehicle is an accurate 1:6, no matter what the manufacturer may claim. It seats 1:6 scale action figures, but the width of the vehicle is clearly way off. Since you plan on modifying anyway, I would consider dropping the scale a bit and creating a smaller interior (if you want to keep everything to one scale size).

Here are the 1:1 actual measurements according to Wikipedia.

Wheelbase - 200 cm (78.7 in)
Length - 382.5 cm (150.6 in)
Width - 148 cm (58.3 in)
Height - 161.5 cm (63.6 in)

So by my calculations, a 1:6 scale version should measure:

Wheelbase - 13.11"
Length - 25.1"
Width - 9.72"
Height - 10.6"

Edit: also thought I should point out that if you go with an axle width close to your current measurements you could likely use the Sand Scorched front axle with the drive shaft mod pictured in the build link I posted in the other thread.

Last edited by MrBlank; 03-17-2019 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Add info.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:29 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Hey George, please see my last post (should be directly above this one) but also, I am confused. You say your axle width is around 6", but when I look on ebay for a 1:6 scale Schwimmwagen I only find the 21st Century Toys version I mentioned in my last post.

It's measurements are (apparently) as follows:

ACTUAL BODY LENGTH: 24"+ INCHES X 9.5" INCHES WIDTH X 8"+ INCHES TALL

(the above was copy-pasted from an ebay ad)

Those measurements would be quite close to 1:6, but they do not match your width measurements, can you elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJure View Post
Hi

Since I do not have/use photobucket and I have Not paid extra here for a star, I can`t upload pictures from my computer to here of what I want to do.

If you would like to see some pictures of the plastic vehicle.

Could you go to ebay, search for 1/6 Schwimmwagon and have a look.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks

George

Also, is there any other way to show pictures of a build here?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlank View Post
Hey George, please see my last post (should be directly above this one) but also, I am confused. You say your axle width is around 6", but when I look on ebay for a 1:6 scale Schwimmwagen I only find the 21st Century Toys version I mentioned in my last post.

It's measurements are (apparently) as follows:

ACTUAL BODY LENGTH: 24"+ INCHES X 9.5" INCHES WIDTH X 8"+ INCHES TALL

(the above was copy-pasted from an ebay ad)

Those measurements would be quite close to 1:6, but they do not match your width measurements, can you elaborate?

Hello MrBlank

Thanks again for your reply.

Yes my Schwimmwagon is the same as you are referring to. I took pictures of mine for a build post, once I figure out how to post them here without buying extra membership.

The Schwimmwagon`s body tappers narrower towards the flat bottom of the car where the axles come through that is where I measured the axles for my earlier post here.

I found Tamiya Sand Scorcther 1/10 front suspension to be exactly like the Schwimmwagon front end. Only have to lengthen the front tubes for the right width. as for the rear the slimmest rear center hub axle will be used.
I have a "master" tire, rim ready to cast and make rubber tires from and cast rims from so they are scale and a copy of the real ones used.

Now that some of you here and elsewhere pointed it out, how could I make this project a 4WD in place of the 2WD??? Keep in mind it all has to be water proof.

MBlank if you want I could send you pictures of mine directly if you wish, send me your email privately.

Thanks To ALL for your tips and Help.

One LAST THING, Can Admin. instruct a dumb person how to load pictures here who is not a photobucket member OR green star payed member here ?????????? PLEASE.

Thanks
George
Old 03-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
...how to load pictures here who is not a photobucket member OR green star payed member here ?????????? PLEASE.

Thanks
George
If you use Google Photos, the link in my sig will create an embeddable link to post on forums. It takes a few steps. If you need help figuring it out, pm me.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

George,

If you decide to go with the AR44 rear axle, here is your best price (and quickest delivery if you have Amazon Prime).

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B06Y5S...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1

That is everything you need to build either a front or rear ar44 axle for $99.45

Also, If you wanted to build both front and rear axle, you would need to buy one housing, a few more bearings, and a ring, pinion and locker gearset.

I put together an SCX10ii based rig using nearly all aftermarket (budget brand) parts and I can tell you that for me, as a Canadian, this axle kit that Amazon.ca is now selling for would have been cheaper!

There is of course the possibility of buying used - check Kijiji, make a want ad, and so fourth.

Last thing to mention - you will need to match the gearing of the front to the rear. So this means best bet will be a centre transmission, and then the centre of an ar44 axle (pumpkin only, either no tubes or tubes cut short hidden on the inside of the rig, and axle shafts driving the fron wheels assuming you go with slightly stretched sand scorcher front axles.

I believe you plan on little to no suspension, so I believe something like this could work. If you use a different differential for the front, just make sure it matches the rear gear ratio.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

George sent me photos and I am posting them via Tapatalk (the only way I have successfully posted images in the past).

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #33

Hello MrBlank

Thanks for posting my pictures I sent you. As you all can see there is a taper to the hull and the axles are different lengths IF you measure from the plastic end of each wheel.

I do plan on using Tamiya 1/10 Sand Scorcher Front suspension with a lot of front hull surgery and some kind of rear axle with suspension and rear hull surgery.

Thanks for the help so far.

George
Old 03-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #34

I have a question, after looking at the first link sent by MrBlank: https://www.ebay.ca/str/tonystamiyap...ml?_storecat=9

What is the front gearbox from? I would like to make my version a 4WD, I think it will help mine coming out of the water and into the water.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:08 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

i still think short course truck parts would work best you could almost just trace the sct chassie out on the bottom of the vw and cut that part out and glue the sct cbassie to the bottom of the dubb
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:43 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Remember, you need to match gear ratios on the front and rear. I would choose a rear axle (and note down it's gear ratio) and then use that information to choose a front differential.

As I mentioned before you could use the centre of an axle and make your own axle shafts or modify some stock ones from whatever style axle housing you use.

You could just use a basic 3 gear axial style centre transmission.

As far as the question you asked that I've quoted - I am not positive what gearbox you are referencing as there are quite a few items for sale in that ebay store link. I am guessing you are referring to the rear transmission meant for the sand scorcher? I think buying all the pieces there from the Ebay store would cost you over $100 for a bulky transmission that would be difficult to modify for your needs.

Quote:
I have a question, after looking at the first link sent by MrBlank: https://www.ebay.ca/str/tonystamiyap...ml?_storecat=9

What is the front gearbox from? I would like to make my version a 4WD, I think it will help mine coming out of the water and into the water.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

if you use a.standerd crawler set up you will never be able to get the interior in there right i just finnished a build using a barbie car the interior goes all the way to the bottom of the tub and everything is bolted to the barbie car k8nda like a uni body i mounted most of the driveline under the rig to keep the interior clean you dont have that option being a boat haul unless you dont care about looks lol you will run in to the same issues i did were to mount everything so the rig still looks scale the short course trucks use a pan chassie your dub uses a pan chassie also the short course truck set up has the motor twards the rear and could easly be hidden under the back seats the drive shaft goes down the middle nice and low so you could easly hide it under a center console you would already have shock towers built in to the diffs so your suspention is done already and the short courese chassie is all compact so even if you do have to raise the entire floor there wont be a big 2" tall dork of a transmission hanging out in the middle of your rigs interior and no way to hide it you dont even need the chassie realy just the parts off of it you can use the dub chassie and bolt the diffs to that im think8ng traxxass parts there almost all pan cars and any of there parts should be modable to fit what your using personaly i would use the redcat short course truck platform parts cause there so much cheaper and ive had good luck with them in the past in my opinion your not going to be able to get solid axles to work and still have a scale rig and still float it like a boat

quick question is the prop gona be powered also so you can power around in the water too or is this all just for looks

Last edited by ferp420; 03-19-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
if you use a.standerd crawler set up you will never be able to get the interior in there right i just finnished a build using a barbie car the interior goes all the way to the bottom of the tub and everything is bolted to the barbie car k8nda like a uni body i mounted most of the driveline under the rig to keep the interior clean you dont have that option being a boat haul unless you dont care about looks lol you will run in to the same issues i did were to mount everything so the rig still looks scale the short course trucks use a pan chassie your dub uses a pan chassie also the short course truck set up has the motor twards the rear and could easly be hidden under the back seats the drive shaft goes down the middle nice and low so you could easly hide it under a center console you would already have shock towers built in to the diffs so your suspention is done already and the short courese chassie is all compact so even if you do have to raise the entire floor there wont be a big 2" tall dork of a transmission hanging out in the middle of your rigs interior and no way to hide it you dont even need the chassie realy just the parts off of it you can use the dub chassie and bolt the diffs to that im think8ng traxxass parts there almost all pan cars and any of there parts should be modable to fit what your using personaly i would use the redcat short course truck platform parts cause there so much cheaper and ive had good luck with them in the past in my opinion your not going to be able to get solid axles to work and still have a scale rig and still float it like a boat

quick question is the prop gona be powered also so you can power around in the water too or is this all just for looks

Hello

Thanks for your reply. There is a LOT to digest there. Yes I plan to have a running prop fold down and link to it`s shaft and move the Schwim. around on the water. Hopefully it won`t become a submarine!

George
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #39

I do know for sure that I am going with the Tamiya 1/10 Sand Scorcher Front Suspension, modified width for my front end because it is some what visible and looks like the original one used in the real one. Just got to figure out a front gear box, small and has to match the rear axle s I have 4WD.
George
Old 03-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I do know for sure that I am going with the Tamiya 1/10 Sand Scorcher Front Suspension, modified width for my front end because it is some what visible and looks like the original one used in the real one. Just got to figure out a front gear box, small and has to match the rear axle s I have 4WD.
George
what axle do you have

you can use the sand scorcher front suspention and short course diffs front and rear use the scorcher front end and the rear suspention from the shortcouse truck a solid axle is gona be real hard to make work with that scale interior because the transmissions are kinda big and hard to hide and the driveshafts cause they have to go up and down with the axles were as the idependent suspension the diffs dont move so need less room to hide them the short course style transmissions are thinner and could be hidden under the rear seats in the back the only issue is lack of gearing in the transmission

but the redcat front diff has the same gear ratio as the axials underdrive gears for the og scx10 or wraith/ar60 axles there just realy big

a folding prop would be sweet you can always use foam to float it no matter how bad it gets cut up

Axle Length Modification Possible - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modification questions! Axial rockrails and shock length twisted concept Tamiya CR-01 3 04-14-2012 06:48 AM
[How To] RS10 BTA : Behind The Axle modification Big Pitt Redcat Crawlers 15 03-27-2012 09:21 PM
Axle shaft strength & modification quest rckjeep Tamiya TLT Crawlers 10 12-12-2010 09:28 PM
TXT-1 Axle Modification and Link Mounts mavrim Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 34 06-16-2010 05:54 PM