Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Choosing first rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Choosing first rig

10 concussions is a lot. All of mine were in my teens and 20s. This time I’m 41, I slipped standing on a chair and hit my head on the concrete. I didn’t seem bad other than a knot and I felt knocked stupid. Confusion and memory problems started shortly after. My first reaction after it was to keep doing what I was doing, 15 min later my wife asked if I hit my head. I was more worried about my fused lower back, which I had to get EMGs and an MRI in November to see what the heck I did.

The Ascender Ford F100 is really cool. I like that one.

Watching kit reviews the Gencat 8 Pack for 170$ popped up. From what I read on their RTRs there was some left to be desired, but it seems their kit chassis had a lot of metal parts and I liked there were no electronics, body, or tires. It would be nice to see Traxxas do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aqualungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Nice Traxxas bashers! I've built a few of those, also. The Slash 2WD LCG is a great platform for a street rod. My previous home was located in an industrial part of town, with plenty of asphalt to run on, and often all to myself after business hours. We have since moved out into the country, closer to the mountains, and I no longer have much asphalt, but more trails within close proximity, as well as my own property.

I got into crawlers within a year of getting into RC, back when the Axial SCX10 was the most widely supported platform, so it was easy to make a recommendation. Now, however, there are many options to choose from, with a good percentage having decent quality and performance. I have quite a few crawler platforms, now, and have a hard time saying one is my favorite. I can only suggest is plenty of research, by reading many forum threads and watching YT videos. Good luck!

Last edited by johnnyluv; 10-04-2019 at 06:09 PM.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
Nice Traxxas bashers! I've built a few of those, also. The Slash 2WD LCG is a great platform for a street rod. My previous home was located in an industrial part of town, with plenty of asphalt to run on, and often all to myself after business hours. We have since moved out into the country, closer to the mountains, and I no longer have much asphalt, but more trails within close proximity, as well as my own property.

I got into crawlers within a year of getting into RC, back when the Axial SCX10 was the most widely supported platform, so it was easy to make a recommendation. Now, however, there are many options to choose from, with a good percentage having decent quality and performance. I have quite a few crawler platforms, now, and have a hard time saying one is my favorite. I can only suggest is plenty of research, by reading many forum threads and watching YT videos. Good luck!

I agree. I’m coming to the conclusion I may need the TRx4 and the Sport. I am looking to order some of those Banditos for my Slash. They seem to be really good streeters.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #24

Crawling has so many aspects. Are you looking for mainly performance or more info the scale aspect. I bought an SCX-10 II and it performs well but I ended up enjoying the scale aspect more and have been converting over to a hard body, which has been hard. From my point of view I would rather have bought an RC4WD vehicle. The new RC4WD C2X looks like it will be a killer performer and ready to compete. It all depends on what you’re doing. That said, the TRX-4 is a very capable truck!

reynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynor View Post
Crawling has so many aspects. Are you looking for mainly performance or more info the scale aspect. I bought an SCX-10 II and it performs well but I ended up enjoying the scale aspect more and have been converting over to a hard body, which has been hard. From my point of view I would rather have bought an RC4WD vehicle. The new RC4WD C2X looks like it will be a killer performer and ready to compete. It all depends on what you’re doing. That said, the TRX-4 is a very capable truck!

I like the scale look and I am looking mainly 70-80% trail and the rest crawl. Want something I can go walking with on trails and play around if I see something cool to climb or pop a small jump. I’ve determined that’s what I want for my first Crawler. So I guess I’m looking for both. I don’t have that interesting of a backyard to have just Crawler for now... but from what I’ve read a good brushless motor/esc combo can simulate 2 speeds by having a good power band. So I’m not totally sold on locking diffs for my first Crawler and that opens the door for more options. I’d like to get a kit too, so I can turn the screws and grease the gears. I like that .
I toyed around with getting a Summit but have fell I love with the scale crawlers. Having a Chevy Body on my Stampede and a Bronco on my Slash, I like to realism it gives me.
I peeked at the Element Enduro Kit too. Form what I read and videos you can use axial bodies.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:57 PM   #26
RCC Addict

For a first crawler I'm going to suggest a RTR instead of a kit. That way you can see what the designers thought it should be able to do, and you can drive it immediately to start gaining your own experience, before modifying it. If you build a kit for your first crawler you're going to end up having to replace parts anyway, because you will make decisions during the build based on assumptions that aren't supported by personal experience.

I know you aren't sold on locking diffs, but even disregarding that specific feature, I can confidently say that if the TRX-4 had been available when I first decided to buy a crawler, I wouldn't own my SCX10 II, my Ascender, or my MST CFX. The TRX-4 is just that good. (I would still own my Wraith though, because it drives very differently than a 1.9" scale truck -- it's much more of a basher that doesn't care how hard you drive it.) I drive my TRX-4 with the diffs locked most of the time, but it's nice to have the option to unlock them occasionally when I need a little more slip.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-05-2019 at 10:03 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:06 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
For a first crawler I'm going to suggest a RTR instead of a kit. That way you can see what the designers thought it should be able to do, and you can drive it immediately to start gaining your own experience, before modifying it. If you build a kit for your first crawler you're going to end up having to replace parts anyway, because you will make decisions during the build based on assumptions that aren't supported by personal experience.

I know you aren't sold on locking diffs, but even disregarding that specific feature, I can confidently say that if the TRX-4 had been available when I first decided to buy a crawler, I wouldn't own my SCX10 II, my Ascender, or my MST CFX. The TRX-4 is just that good. (I would still own my Wraith though, because it drives very differently than a 1.9" scale truck -- it's much more of a basher that doesn't care how hard you drive it.) I drive my TRX-4 with the diffs locked most of the time, but it's nice to have the option to unlock them occasionally when I need a little more slip.

Thanks! The Builders Kit has all the stock electronics, at least I could build it? With the locking diffs I am seeing your point at having them. If I’m going to trail a bit, I’ll want to I Unlock the diffs and put her in high speed.
I realize not much savings compared to the RTR, but I could do my own body.
It’s a good thing I have a little time to decide and watch. Hoping I can catch a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:07 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quick question. If you’re on the trail and one of the locking diff servos fails/burns out. Is it easy to just unlock it manually or with tools, and finish the rest of the hike with open diffs?

Old 10-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

I also alway west a backpack with my MIP drivers and extra parts. I’ve done quite a few trail repairs in the Stampede.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:25 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm going to have to disagree...but, with a reason. Using myself for my example, I've more than a reasonable amount of experience building off-road race vehicles (buggies, SCTs, STs), and even am on-road TC chassis kit. For someone who's already built other vehicle types, they might necessarily 'need' to go with an RTR for their first crawler...a kit could be the perfect way to start, as they're already familiar with determining "upgrade parts", even if not crawler parts. If they do their research first, and ask questions of others who are familiar with crawlers, they can determine fairly-well what's needed. Besides, some people (myself, included) learn better when they're "getting their hands dirty".

For my first crawler, I chose the new Axial Capra, which is built...although it's missing the ESC & motor. While it was a "learning curve", having previously built off-road race buggies, SCTs, & STs (and am on-road TC chassis) helped. I enjoyed the build so much, I not only know I made the right decision for my first crawler...but, now I'm starting my research for what will become my second.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

I agree. Even though I’ve only built a slash. I feel if I bought a kit I would enjoy doing it and seeing how everything goes together. It helps when you have to fix something for sure. Also I’ve done enough research to know what esc/motor/servo combos work good.

I also like doing the body and painting it with my own touches.
The instant gratification of an RTR is nice, but when you build and meticulously turn every screw and don’t over tighten its built to your standards. Also greasing things.. from what I heard it’s best to make sure they grease gears and such correctly on RTRs.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
I like the scale look and I am looking mainly 70-80% trail and the rest crawl. Want something I can go walking with on trails and play around if I see something cool to climb or pop a small jump. I’ve determined that’s what I want for my first Crawler... but from what I’ve read a good brushless motor/esc combo can simulate 2 speeds by having a good power band. So I’m not totally sold on locking diffs for my first Crawler and that opens the door for more options. I’d like to get a kit too, so I can turn the screws and grease the gears. I like that .
Bodies are fairly easy to swap as you know, sell stock body to offset new. Yes, good brushless setup can crawl well and still have some speed.

Quote:
Quick question. If you’re on the trail and one of the locking diff servos fails/burns out. Is it easy to just unlock it manually or with tools, and finish the rest of the hike with open diffs?
Maybe, depends on how it fails and if the servo can still be manually rotated to engaged position or not, gotta be very gentle with the small shift cables as they can get bent too.

Quote:
I also always wear a backpack with my MIP drivers and extra parts. I’ve done quite a few trail repairs in the Stampede.
Backpack with water, tools and some spares is always a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I'm going to have to disagree...but, with a reason. Using myself for my example, I've more than a reasonable amount of experience building off-road race vehicles (buggies, SCTs, STs), and even am on-road TC chassis kit. For someone who's already built other vehicle types, they might necessarily 'need' to go with an RTR for their first crawler...a kit could be the perfect way to start, as they're already familiar with determining "upgrade parts", even if not crawler parts. If they do their research first, and ask questions of others who are familiar with crawlers, they can determine fairly-well what's needed. Besides, some people (myself, included) learn better when they're "getting their hands dirty".

For my first crawler, I chose the new Axial Capra, which is built...although it's missing the ESC & motor. While it was a "learning curve", having previously built off-road race buggies, SCTs, & STs (and am on-road TC chassis) helped. I enjoyed the build so much, I not only know I made the right decision for my first crawler...but, now I'm starting my research for what will become my second.

Quote:
I agree. Even though I’ve only built a slash. I feel if I bought a kit I would enjoy doing it and seeing how everything goes together. It helps when you have to fix something for sure. Also I’ve done enough research to know what esc/motor/servo combos work good.
I built a kit for my first RC and you've got a couple cars already, you should be fine with kit or RTR. Always check screws for proper torque, gears greased, etc. with RTR.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:

If you're on a trail and one of the diff-lock servos burns out, you can just drive it home with the locked diff. Unlocking the diffs is only mandatory on pavement; dirt doesn't offer enough traction for a locked diff to potentially damage any drivetrain parts. Also, if it does get stuck in some strange situation where the locked diff is somehow making things worse, you can always use the Hand Of God to un-stick it and keep driving.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-07-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
An experienced RCer can determine which parts are likely to break and thus should be upgraded, but since solid-axle trucks handle so vastly differently from any other type of RC, it's hard to appreciate what the tuning options actually do until you've driven a solid-axle truck for a while.

Futhermore, if you don't have experience with solid-axle trucks and you decide to build a kit with aftermarket upgrades purchased ahead of time, you can easily spend a thousand bucks only to discover the truck will simply never drive in a way that you enjoy. That's the experience I had with my Axial Yeti and Vaterra Twin Hammers (both built from kits), as well as my Losi Baja Rey (RTR). At least I was able to drive the Baja Rey as soon as I bought it and evaluate what I thought of its handling, before spending god-knows-how-much on upgrade parts for it. (I did still spend a ton of money on upgrade parts, but that's because I'm an idiot and it took 3 tries before I learned that IFS/SRA trucks are incapable of handling in a way I enjoy.)

Conversely, if I'd tried to build a fully-upgraded Axial Wraith from a kit, with a pile of upgrade parts purchased at the same time, I would've been staring down the barrel of a $1500 price tag and I never would've gotten one, thus depriving myself of 5 years of fun.

To put it differently: Buying RTR isn't always about "instant gratification". Buying RTR gives you a chance to evaluate whether you will actually enjoy driving the vehicle before investing several precious evenings tinkering with it, and before spending hundreds of dollars upgrading it. It really sucks to spend half a week of evenings building a kit, only to realize you don't like it. And if you feel deprived of the kit-building experience because you bought an RTR, well, you can just take the whole thing apart, trim off the excess plastic, grease the gears properly, and put it back together again!

Last edited by fyrstormer; 10-07-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:10 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
An experienced RCer can determine which parts are likely to break and thus should be upgraded, but since solid-axle trucks handle so vastly differently from any other type of RC, it's hard to appreciate what the tuning options actually do until you've driven a solid-axle truck for a while.
I completely understand what you're saying (even though I still haven't completed my first crawler)...but, at the same time, I can see both sides of the "equation". Rewording what I said, for some, an RTR is the best choice for a first crawler...and, for others, a kit might be the better option.

I wasn't suggesting someone buy "every possible upgrade" (or even several upgrades) right off the bat. Someone purchasing a kit over an RTR...even a person with no crawler experience (myself, included)...gets the enjoyment of building (and letting others know they built it). They also can decide what electronics 'they' want. As for "initial upgrades", it can be as minimal as going with a few Ti parts, ceramic bearings (I know, not topically used on non-competition vehicles), better wheels/tires, different/better shocks and/or something as inexpensive as aluminum servo horns.

Using myself as an example, for my first crawler, I chose the new Axial Capra...which, as I'm assuming you probably know, is a kit. Obviously, being a brand new model, work almost 100% new parts, there's aren't any major upgrades available...yet. But, I was still able to select my own electronics (as opposed to buying an RTR, and then "wasting" the factory-installed electronics). As for "upgrades", they were very-much on the minimal side: aluminum servo horns (one for steering, the other for DIG), aluminum wheels, LEDs for headlights, and a second lightbar (to be mounted on the grill). I did you with the idea of better shocks, but I decided to wait, and see how the stock shocks handle, before I decide whether, or not, to upgrade them.

As most are aware, building a kit will (almost) always cost more than purchasing an RTR...but, you gain in other ways - building experience, elections selection, seeing (as you're building) possibilities for upgrades (which can be purchased upgrades, or upgrades you devise yourself). Most importantly, in building a kit, you have the enjoyment of actually having our something together. In my "spare time", I've been custom-building computers for over 25 years...and, I've never done it for the money (which, honestly, isn't much) - I primarily do it because of the enjoyment in building them. The same applies to RCs.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Default Choosing first rig

If I could get a brand new in box G500 for 325$ cash, I take it this would be a good deal.. I was planning on offering them 300$ considering I don’t care for the body or tires, and could sell them on eBay.

*edit*** Drat too late, it’s sold

Last edited by aqualungs; 10-09-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:04 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I completely understand what you're saying (even though I still haven't completed my first crawler)...but, at the same time, I can see both sides of the "equation". Rewording what I said, for some, an RTR is the best choice for a first crawler...and, for others, a kit might be the better option.

I wasn't suggesting someone buy "every possible upgrade" (or even several upgrades) right off the bat. Someone purchasing a kit over an RTR...even a person with no crawler experience (myself, included)...gets the enjoyment of building (and letting others know they built it). They also can decide what electronics 'they' want. As for "initial upgrades", it can be as minimal as going with a few Ti parts, ceramic bearings (I know, not topically used on non-competition vehicles), better wheels/tires, different/better shocks and/or something as inexpensive as aluminum servo horns.

Using myself as an example, for my first crawler, I chose the new Axial Capra...which, as I'm assuming you probably know, is a kit. Obviously, being a brand new model, work almost 100% new parts, there's aren't any major upgrades available...yet. But, I was still able to select my own electronics (as opposed to buying an RTR, and then "wasting" the factory-installed electronics). As for "upgrades", they were very-much on the minimal side: aluminum servo horns (one for steering, the other for DIG), aluminum wheels, LEDs for headlights, and a second lightbar (to be mounted on the grill). I did you with the idea of better shocks, but I decided to wait, and see how the stock shocks handle, before I decide whether, or not, to upgrade them.

As most are aware, building a kit will (almost) always cost more than purchasing an RTR...but, you gain in other ways - building experience, elections selection, seeing (as you're building) possibilities for upgrades (which can be purchased upgrades, or upgrades you devise yourself). Most importantly, in building a kit, you have the enjoyment of actually having our something together. In my "spare time", I've been custom-building computers for over 25 years...and, I've never done it for the money (which, honestly, isn't much) - I primarily do it because of the enjoyment in building them. The same applies to RCs.

Very good input. Most end up upgrading or adding aftermarket parts. So initially the build is more expensive but in the long run you can make out!
The Capra is making some waves and I like that you get to pick out electronic and you get beadlocks. I like it and the Enduro, but the need to add another 60$ in hard plastic is a turnoff.
Traxxas needs a more bare bone builders kit

Old 10-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Very good input. Most end up upgrading or adding aftermarket parts. So initially the build is more expensive but in the long run you can make out!
The Capra is making some waves and I like that you get to pick out electronic and you get beadlocks. I like it and the Enduro, but the need to add another 60$ in hard plastic is a turnoff.
Traxxas needs a more bare bone builders kit

Yes, the Capra includes beadlocks...but, they are plastic. For those just wanting to learn, they're probably good enough (until you can afford to upgrade to aluminum wheels, which also lower the COG). At the same time, even someone just learning to crawl (myself, included) could benefit from buying aluminum wheels from the start. I'm new to crawling, but I could see the advantage, which is why I ordered some while building my Capra.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Well I pretty much decided to go with the TRX4 Sport build.
-simpler build/kit for first crawler to learn on
-make time for a better Kit build for the full functioning TRX
-This build kit will be easier to stay under the radar with the wife. I have 130$ in Visa Gift cards. The balance will be an easier pill to swallow.
-I really wanted to pick out the electronics/wheels/and paint to make it my own. Any help with my build list would be awesome!

Build List:
-TRX4 Sport Kit
-HW 1080 Esc
-HH Motor (unsure which one I do want to put a 2psd in for trailing and a little fun, recommendations?)
-Amazon $20 servo w/Alum Horn
-SMC Beadlocks (better option?)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc4wd-p...zw0074/p708053
-Proline 2-stage foam
-Fender kit
-Light kit

I am going to get a Flysky GT5 and am not including this in the budget because I planned to get one for all my RC’s.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:50 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Ordered the Sport Kit and started my build thread:

Aqualung’s Sport Build

Choosing first rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing 2.2 trail rig tires. theTman Minnesota 6 07-17-2016 08:22 PM