Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Scale rally racing...!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ghetto_rig View Post
Just put in a 3900kv brushless and melted 2 rear diffs in 2 days!!

I forgot how much torque that motor has ...so now until my new diffs get here from Japan, I've got one of the melted diffs locked, fabbed up a slipper clutch (I aint payin $35 bucks for one if I can make one out of washers and 400gr sandpaper!), and concaved my throttle profile (Thanx Castle Link!)..lets see how long this set-up lasts
Any details on how you made your clutch? I have been waiting for 2 months for one from tamiya.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillarson View Post
Any details on how you made your clutch? I have been waiting for 2 months for one from tamiya.
I'll post pics tomorrow..
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #43
Gettin’ back on the horse

Looks great so far.

I was having the same rear diff problems. It seems its worse without a slipper, however the gear on the shaft for the slipper stripped out one day and I have not replaced it yet.

So on to my findings with the rear diff., I have been running my rear diff pretty tight , but have been melting the center sections out of them. Apparently this was even a problem with the DF-03 dark impact. So some people have used Traxxas slipper pegs instead of the balls for the diffs. to act as a "limited" slip. They are also picking up the yeah/3 racing diff outputs which replace the stock ones and the POS plastic pieces that are the main part of the melt down problem.

Most of the threads I found were from 2008 or older, but this set up seemed to fix the issue. I ordered the parts to fix mine and do the mod from Hong Kong the other day. So hopefully it does, I love the DF-03RA but have been through several rear diffs., its the only issue I have ever had with the rig. Hopefully I get it fixed.

I would love to see more people interested in this area of RC I absolutely love it!
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Thanx Turtle, for the details..it helps quite a bit. So it sounds like no matter how I set these diffs, I'm gonna fry the gear. That's OK..I'm liking the posi rear anyway...
Old 07-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Turtle, you're a friggin genius!!!

The slipper plugs work like a charm...installed them on my rear diff, tightened up my front ball diff a bit and now ALL the oversteer is gone, I got LOADS of power at each corner, and all my gears still have teeth...

BTW: here's the breakdown of my slipper clutch:
  • #8 washer with the center dremel-notched to accept cross-pin
  • Spur gear with center hub on both sides shaved flush, and bored out slightly to accept 1/8" pice of silicone fuel tubing (or a red silicone O-ring if you prefer.) There is a slipper-pad from a Savage mounted to the side without the cross-pin notch..this side will go against the above washer.
  • then put on a small washer and your nylock nut and adjust the tension as desired.
**NOTE**: This set-up offsets the spur away from the motor plate, so I used 2 layers of Gorilla tape and made a gasket for the spur cover to offset it as well (see first pic)

Old 07-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Now that I'm confident in this thing's driveline, I'm looking forward to working on the the next body/look/theme for the DF03:

Old 07-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #47

Hey guys, been lurking for a while, figured enough is enough. while I'm new to posting here, not really a newb to the whole message board thing. Anyways, the guys at work all have crawlers, i sold my nitro trucks for one and stumbled on the tamiya rally car.

My first kit and I think it came out great.

now if only I can save up for a bloody radio
Corz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

try a traxxas 2.4 , i have found them as cheap as 25-45 and they work great for that
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeweyCJ5 View Post
try a traxxas 2.4 , i have found them as cheap as 25-45 and they work great for that
I was looking into a 3 channel so when I do eventually get into a crawler I can just use one remote. That and I hate the look of antennas sticking out of the thing (personal preference)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

@Corz:
Looks great man! A little radio advice: Spend the money on a good 3ch 2.4ghz radio! Don't do like I've done and buy an endless supply of crap radios..and the more settings and adjustments you can do , the better.
I recently found the "lap-timer" function on mine, and while it was useless to me before, I've found it essential to enjoying RC rally...

Don't forget to research the links that some other guys have posted in this thread..it saved me a lot of headaches!

Also: I've got an extra DF-03 Dark Impact buggy body that I'm not using ..They make good dust-covers for your elecs..I'll give it to ya cheap (or if anyone else wants it)..PM me for details..

Last edited by the_ghetto_rig; 07-09-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #51

Quote:
@Corz:
Looks great man! A little radio advice: Spend the money on a good 3ch 2.4ghz radio! Don't do like I've done and buy an endless supply of crap radios..and the more settings and adjustments you can do , the better.
I recently found the "lap-timer" function on mine, and while it was useless to me before, I've found it essential to enjoying RC rally...

Don't forget to research the links that some other guys have posted in this thread..it saved me a lot of headaches!

Also: I've got an extra DF-03 Dark Impact buggy body that I'm not using ..They make good dust-covers for your elecs..I'll give it to ya cheap (or if anyone else wants it)..PM me for details..
thanks man, I've been looking for one of those Dark Impact body's everywhere. I'll shoot you a PM when I get home from work.

I'll also get a better bloody picture of the car. even though it looks like all the other lancia's here
Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
@Corz:

To start off the kit turned out awesome Corz! Nice work man! I couldn't agree more about buying a good radio!!! I have been doing this for some time and it is one of the best purchases in the hobby.

If you think about it, you use it every time you go out and is just as important as your rig! Since you are a crawler guy and coming from an old crawler/scaler guy I would suggest going with a futaba 4pl or dx3r.

I have both and really lean twards the 4pl just because the features, back lighted, 4ws already programmed, duel esc feature, and the 4th channel comes in handy for crawling or add on features like a winch, lights etc... The spektrum does how ever fell so much better in your hand. It just fits right but doesn't have some of those really great things the 4pl offers (BACKLIGHT ).

Really spend some time researching what your needs are and get what is best for you and keep the rally spirit alive!!!
FoxintheDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #53

Thanks fox, I'm really digging that RS200 you got there. I'm looking at this from a price point, I would like 3 full time channels so when I do get a crawler, I'll have it in place for a winch (or snow plow when I dont want to get off my couch in the winter) . I was leaning to either the new spektrum DX3C or a Futaba 3PM-X but ended up losing storage for my 1:1 car so all that rc money has gone into saving for a garage.

It's kinda funny, I bought this thing in April and finished it in a couple days and then everything sort of hit the fan so I wasn't able to finish it.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corz View Post
Thanks fox, I'm really digging that RS200 you got there. I'm looking at this from a price point, I would like 3 full time channels so when I do get a crawler, I'll have it in place for a winch (or snow plow when I dont want to get off my couch in the winter) . I was leaning to either the new spektrum DX3C or a Futaba 3PM-X but ended up losing storage for my 1:1 car so all that rc money has gone into saving for a garage.

It's kinda funny, I bought this thing in April and finished it in a couple days and then everything sort of hit the fan so I wasn't able to finish it.
Ahh, sorry to hear about the troubles! I feel your pain, I miss my garage something fierce!!! Don't worry though, it will all come together in due time

The RS200 body actually came from a great company in the UK called controlfreax. It was only £20.00
+£5 P&P for the Limited Edition carbon fiber. All together with shipping to the US about $58.00usd

I have a buddy who just got the 3c and let me try it out and it's a great radio! I am a diehard futaba fan but the choice between the two I would go for the spektrum in this case!

Last edited by FoxintheDen; 07-09-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #55

so uh... look what I found on my way home from work

Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #56
Gettin’ back on the horse

Nice work! So is it ready to run now?

Did you glue the tires on already?

All these Lancia's are kinda making me want one.

Though I would prefer a Stratas over the Delta.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

nice find , car looks good
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Lol, nice work bud! Now get her dirty
Old 07-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Though I would prefer a Stratas over the Delta.
Here ya go Turtle:
http://cgi.ebay.com/66080-ABC-1-10-L...item519801879f

Wheelbase is exact..all the others I found are for M-chassis..
Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

"I drift my Delta at night..."
(to the tune of a bad '80's song)

This thing switches over to drifter with just a quick tire change..now if only the operator was any good

THE VID: (i can't figure out how to embed it )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74sV5A71NT0