Notices

Thread: Team [HOONIGAN]'s DRX(s)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #301
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Team [HOONIGAN]'s DRX(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSlash4 View Post
I'm sorry if I missed it in this thread but have you ever tried to a Chassis Swap from the Nitro Chassis(Blue) to the Brushless(Gunmetal)? I'm never was a fan of the holes on the Blue chassis.
Yes if you go back to the first page with the two DRXs.

Mine I kept the original chassis, but for RPMJ we swapped his chassis out to the electric one. I think most of the information for these cars is on the first and second pages of this thread.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #302

Awesome. Is there a difference between the two chassis(Performance wise)?
BackSlash4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:59 PM   #303

Quote:
Awesome. Is there a difference between the two chassis(Performance wise)?
Not that I can tell. I have driven a couple of other peoples DRXs and besides the punch control and top speed there is not much of a difference.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Not that I can tell. I have driven a couple of other peoples DRXs and besides the punch control and top speed there is not much of a difference.
Works for me, I guess I'm going to keep the blue chassis and get the MP9 Body and side 'skirts".
Sorry but this is the best Pic I can post for now(Don;t know how else to do it.)
Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #305

Ok here's on I didn;t see... Gear Ratios... I'm running a Sidewinder SCT 3800 on 2s.. My motor is running pretty warm after 5 mins of medium bashing.. I'm running a stock pinion... Suggestions?
Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #306

Quote:
Ok here's on I didn;t see... Gear Ratios... I'm running a Sidewinder SCT 3800 on 2s.. My motor is running pretty warm after 5 mins of medium bashing.. I'm running a stock pinion... Suggestions?
Whats a stock pinion? I thought yours started life as a nitro...
Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #307
Rock Crawler

Definately check your gearing...

Reguardless of what Castle and others claim, IMO that motor is a little small for larger 4WD vehicles, especially if your using the smaller ESC. It works great in 2WD SC Trucks and 1/10 Rally cars. (using one in my XV-01) I just don't think it moves the bigger, heavier vehicles all that well,

I would definately use the MMP with that motor with the proper gearing it may be OK. I would also suggest a larger 550 can motor. CC, Tekin, LRP, Novak all have good motors in that size. I pesonally use a Tekin and Novak 5.5t motors in my DRX's.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #308
Rock Crawler

Hey Turttle,

So in your experience of all the rc rally cars out there the HPI, Kyosho, Team Associated, etc., in your opinion, what is the first one you would buy?

RTR or kit doesn't matter.

Maybe a brief explanation of why??? thanks.
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxialNut View Post
Hey Turttle,

So in your experience of all the rc rally cars out there the HPI, Kyosho, Team Associated, etc., in your opinion, what is the first one you would buy?

RTR or kit doesn't matter.

Maybe a brief explanation of why??? thanks.
Good question!

While I have not owned every car on the market I have driven 95% of them.

With that said the #1 car I would have is the Tamiya XV-01.

I'll try to keep it brief.

-The XV-01 is 10th scale, widely popular scale for bodies, tires and wheels, making customizing the look very easy.
-It is a very well support platform and company. Tamiya has been around for a long time, which means they have a pretty good grasp of radio control. They have had countless rally platforms over the years as well as experience in every segment of 4 wheeled radio control vehicles, on top of that they are a model company who prides themselves in the details.
-The Xv-01 has cross over parts from other platforms, be it the TA06 or FF03, parts are shared and that means support will be there for years to come.
- The XV-01 is highly modifiable. If a mod hasn't been thought up or produced chances are it isn't something the car needs.
- And just to keep this brief, it drives amazingly well! Not even well, but magnificently! This is the best driving rally car I have ever driven, be it 7th, 10th, 12th or any other scale you can think of. It drives better then my Kyosho DRX, better then the WR8, better then the Vaterra Kemora and the list goes on. Granted I come from the experience of a modified XV-01 is a moot point, it is still a XV-01 and completely in the capabilities of anyone to have a car that drives this good.

On top of this 10th scale is easy to get a lot of people involved in. Because it is such a popular scale lots of people can get into a class with several different platforms and all share a common bond and scale, while all working within their own budgets and preferences.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:02 PM   #310
Rock Crawler

Here's the DRX today...

bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #311

First of all guys i love your cars they look sweet and i cant wait to get mine . I do have a question about the diffs as i have noticed that you are all adding extra spider gears to the electric versions and as iam leaving mine as a nitro would you still recommend that i do the same. Thanks
BRIGGBOY81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #312

Yes, it's simply for durability. I honestly have yet to hear of anyone blowing a diff out, but better safe then sorry.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #313

cool, thanks for the reply TURTLE
Old 01-19-2016, 02:53 PM   #314

First of all iam absolutely loving the drx, and iam thinking about getting the 2 speed transmission for her. so my question is will it still be able to do off road with it installed or will io have to stick to tarmac. thanks
Old 10-30-2021, 06:24 PM   #315

What a pity I find this model so many years after it's all gone from the shelves. I'd really like to get my hands on one.

Maybe some day Kyosho will surprise us rally fans and do a re-re like the USA-1...

Thanks for the enjoyment of reading all the build details, pics and vids posted here!
YoShImUrA53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Team [HOONIGAN]'s DRX(s) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team BWD - Team East Coast RC - MRC build limited77 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 49 03-19-2012 06:19 PM
RPMJ's TEAM [HOONIGAN] Wraith RPMJ Axial Wraith 13 08-31-2011 08:04 AM
HUGE thanks to TEAM VANQUISH,TEAM T1E,TEAM 3051 SPAD RC Rock Crawling Worlds 13 09-02-2009 08:42 PM
Team Waggoner Racing Welcomes RCP CRAWLERS And AXIAL To The Team John Competitions 9 06-01-2008 08:31 PM