Notices

Thread: Szczerba's DRX VE Demon Rally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Szczerba's DRX VE Demon Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
same here. I didnt even know the dbx existed. I am going to order the dbx and the mp9 stuff. one should work.
Agreed
buzzbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

MP9 side guards KYOIF449
MP9 Body KYOIFB002

I ordered the DBX body KYOTRB151 but that does not fit. It's about 1/2-3/4" too wide on each side (without MP9 side guards). If I ran the DBX side guards with the DBX body it would not work either.
The MP9 guards/body is a cleaner fit.

After about an hour of fitting, grinding and refitting I got the side guards on. Works pretty good. Could close off the steering rack side a little more. Car does run just a little bit hotter but I think it should be fine. Put a 5000mah pack through it without any issues. I was not running 100 throttle though.
Made two "L mounts" for the body to sit on. Drilled screw holes but strips of velcro on the sides hold just fine.

Also, the 7k-3k-5k might not be the best setup. Probably going to go to 5k-5k-3k this weekend. A little too much front end push and off corner rear end loop outs.
Attached Images

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #23

Looks good. I just mounted that same under-body set-up on mine last night, just happened to get lucky with the order and am really pleased how well everything mounted up nice and snug. Glad now I lopped off that front diff cover, looked goofy I'm glad you posted up your mounts, am not yet to that point but was curious how the heck to approach it.

(edit) ..actually, I think our bodies are slightly different. Whatever it takes to keep things clean.

Last edited by jakel; 10-05-2012 at 10:58 AM.
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakel View Post
Looks good. I just mounted that same under-body set-up on mine last night, just happened to get lucky with the order and am really pleased how well everything mounted up nice and snug. Glad now I lopped off that front diff cover, looked goofy I'm glad you posted up your mounts, am not yet to that point but was curious how the heck to approach it.

(edit) ..actually, I think our bodies are slightly different. Whatever it takes to keep things clean.
It's the MP9 stock body.
The mounts are just some thick plastic I had laying around. Bent them to a 90 degree and used the same factory screws to mount to the front and had to add some long 3mm screws with nuts for the rear mount. I drilled holes to screw the body to them but the velcro on the side guards held the body on just fine yesterday.

Next on the purchase list is a Savox 1258TG servo.

Last edited by Szczerba; 10-05-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

I am using the DBX body. Not a direct fit. Folded the bottom inwards then added velcro. Not pretty, but functional.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Looks like it will work. I have another one if you need it!

On a second note. I am having to turn my throttle EPA down to like 60% on 3s lipo to make it drivable on a track type situation. So, a 2S might not be a bad idea in the future.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

complete tear down, clean and rebuild today.
Found a front bent dogbone and a end-separated dogbone. Gorilla glued it back in. Check yours! My rear center shaft ends are gettin loose too.
Lower arm pivot hole elongated as well. I think I remember the crash that did all this.
Shocks rebuilt with 60wt all around
Diffs rebuilt with 5k-5k-3k (frt-ctr-rear)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349570335.656537.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  81.0 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349570357.379447.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  66.1 KB
Attachment 211490

Attached Images

Last edited by Szczerba; 10-06-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #28
Gettin’ back on the horse

How the hell did you do that?
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post

How the hell did you do that?
I think it was a full speed multi-barrel roll. I was running it yesterday around my track and didn't even notice. Didn't effect performance.

Glad I checked the dog bone ends too.

You heard of the Kyosho "hard" suspension arms? Amain has em. Guess they are just a harder plastic compound.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Oh yeah.
bcrocks with BC Paints! is making progress on the Lancer body. Sneak peak of some of the details.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I think it was a full speed multi-barrel roll. I was running it yesterday around my track and didn't even notice. Didn't effect performance.

Glad I checked the dog bone ends too.

You heard of the Kyosho "hard" suspension arms? Amain has em. Guess they are just a harder plastic compound.
I haven't heard of them. I honestly haven't looked into a lot of upgrade parts besides what I already have on mine. I built it, tuned it and really have not done anything to it besides diff tuning.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #32
Pebble Pounder

http://http://www.amainhobbies.com/p...ar-Swing-Shaft While waiting for the CVD's to come in stock. The replacement dogbone's are a good upgrade. They look like they do in the picture. More stout, no flex. The drive shaft dogbone's are ditto.
Don't forget chassis protector when you order. Like Turtle said " A must have". Zero spur issues with it.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I haven't heard of them. I honestly haven't looked into a lot of upgrade parts besides what I already have on mine. I built it, tuned it and really have not done anything to it besides diff tuning.
Just curiouser cause one of my front arm pivot holes got elongated too. See picture. Guess I need to ease up on the throttle. I have turned down the throttle EPA to 60% on 3s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbuzzard View Post
http://http://www.amainhobbies.com/p...ar-Swing-Shaft While waiting for the CVD's to come in stock. The replacement dogbone's are a good upgrade. They look like they do in the picture. More stout, no flex. The drive shaft dogbone's are ditto.
Don't forget chassis protector when you order. Like Turtle said " A must have". Zero spur issues with it.
Yep I have a chassis protector sheet. Just waiting on new servo to get here tomorrow to install.
The CVDs are in stock for $54 a set.
Thanks for the heads up on the replacement shafts. I assumed they were like the hex shafts. All items in "wish list" cart on Amain.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Dang it. I checked Friday. I have to wait until next Friday anyways.
Now I get to check everyday on pins and needles. Hoping I don't see a red button before Friday. Glad It's in stock. I have them on the front. They are just as stout as the replacement dogbone's.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Savox SC-1258tg steering power. Had to grind on the Racer's Edge Futaba splined servo horn to clear the revo rod end.

Futaba R614FF receiver so I can use my 4pks now. What a difference in the steering feel and throttle response with my 4pks vs the stock radio.
Switched to 5k-5k-3k (f-c-r) diff fluids. Car handles alot better coming out of corners and mid throttle speeds on short grass/dirt.

Really tearing up this body. Front end is pretty much ruined now.

ESC temped out today after about 10 minutes of running some laps around my small track. I was running it pretty hard. Let it cool off for about 2 minutes and it was fine the rest of the 5000mah 11.1v battery pack. Only other time it has temped out was when I was running half asphalt/half dirt for 30 minutes. I am attributing the recent temp out to the MP-9 underbody.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #36

Damn! Just judging from the front bumper the front end has taken a beating!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I don't see any pictures of the "track". Do you have any scale trees to banzai through prior to hitting a scale power pole that nearly zaps some scale spectators? (happened at the 1:1 WRC event last weekend)
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Damn! Just judging from the front bumper the front end has taken a beating!
Pine trees jump in the way sometimes. I run a down two rows for about 50 feet between small pine trees. Bump into one every now and then coming out of turn 2 when it gets squirrely. Diff tuning has helped the handling.
Also, I let a guy drive it a few weeks ago and I think the t-posts on my fence had DRX magnets on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I don't see any pictures of the "track". Do you have any scale trees to banzai through prior to hitting a scale power pole that nearly zaps some scale spectators? (happened at the 1:1 WRC event last weekend)
See above comments. And might try to get in a lap or two of video in the next few days. Anyways, the approach angle is much better now! I will let the infamous MikeManning take the wheel this week and see how much fun this car really is!

BCPaints! will have my Lancer body done before too long. I'll be able to drive a little better when that gets here.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

My first couple runs with mine I noticed some cracking on the nose from some front end mishaps,lol.

I used an 1/8" schmear of shoo-goo all thru the front end of the body(except head light buckets). It's a little messy and time consuming but it works good. I also did the rear of the car when I noticed cracks appearing. Has not cracked any more nor did the existing damage get worse.

Just wanted to throw that out there, even the clear bodies are a tad pricey.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
My first couple runs with mine I noticed some cracking on the nose from some front end mishaps,lol.

I used an 1/8" schmear of shoo-goo all thru the front end of the body(except head light buckets). It's a little messy and time consuming but it works good. I also did the rear of the car when I noticed cracks appearing. Has not cracked any more nor did the existing damage get worse.

Just wanted to throw that out there, even the clear bodies are a tad pricey.
Thanks for the tips. I'll reinforce the Lancer body that I am having painted.

Video of my short "Track" at my house. Couple more uploading.

Szczerba's DRX VE Demon Rally - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team [HOONIGAN]'s DRX(s) TURTLE Rally 314 10-30-2021 06:24 PM
cbp27's DRX Build cbp27 Rally 83 08-19-2015 12:23 AM
kyosho updating the drx foproy Rally 31 11-29-2012 09:38 PM
Micky's DRX VE mickyteng Rally 5 11-13-2012 04:11 PM
drx out of the box coolair Rally 9 08-12-2012 12:26 PM