Notices

Thread: Szczerba's DRX VE Demon Rally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Szczerba's DRX VE Demon Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Also the fluids you guys are saying 5,5,7 don't seem like much to control.
That's what I thought too but, It just works. I started with 5k, 3k, 7k in mine. It worked good. The only thing I didn't like was when she was on black top and the rear would kick way out and I would correct it, she would just spin out. The damn center diff leaks like crazy so I refilled it with 7k. It doesn't spin out as easy now but, I also added the Mamba Monster Max and a huge 3s. I think the weight helped it out.
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

I would also love to know more about the diff tuning.

To me, the car understeers under throttle, and on tarmac, with high grip tires, the understeer is pronounced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Inc. View Post
That's what I thought too but, It just works. I started with 5k, 3k, 7k in mine. It worked good. The only thing I didn't like was when she was on black top and the rear would kick way out and I would correct it, she would just spin out. The damn center diff leaks like crazy so I refilled it with 7k. It doesn't spin out as easy now but, I also added the Mamba Monster Max and a huge 3s. I think the weight helped it out.
So you're running 7k in the center diff? I think Turtle is running 3k in the center.

Last edited by Stburr91; 11-02-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Szhane, that body turned out szweet! Give your painter a bonus!
He does good work, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKEDUP RICKY View Post
I liked it.
Thanks. I liked it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrocks View Post
Thanks Shane!, shipping it out tomorrow, put some stickers in the box too
Make sure Ashton gets a few of the little guys from nats
Awesome. I guess I'll send some stickers his way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helhedded View Post
That's mighty kind of you! Can't wait to get them
Awesome work on the paint job too...very very clean.
I just sent him the words "Johnny O'Sullivan Racing Jetta" for a paint theme and this is what he came up with.

Quote:
What are you guys seeing in the diff fluid ranges?

I would think that you would want the rear to unload before the front but maybe I am not correct? Also the fluids you guys are saying 5,5,7 don't seem like much to control.

I haven't ran mine yet but adding the spider gears and thought I would do that while I was in there.
I started out with 7k-3k-5k and the car would not pull out of the corners consistently on my little dirt/grass track. Alot of spin outs and wonky power delievery. Again, this was my experiences.
I changed to 5k-5k-3k and it handles alot better getting the power to all 4 tires and doesn't push as much.
Rootar gave me the advice to keep the front diff and center diff the same weights to start out with and adjust the rear fluild. I am new to the diff tuning game too.
I am only running a front sway bar as well. That has helped the rear traction/de-traction department too.

Quote:
Same results I got witht he 5-3-7. But my "track" or area I drive in are harder packed and I didn't like the spinning out. I also wised up and lowered my throttle EPA to 60% and that has helped with low end control.
I do like the 5000mah 3S weight compared to my 3300mah 3S pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stburr91 View Post
I would also love to know more about the diff tuning.

To me, the car understeers under throttle, and on tarmac, with high grip tires, the understeer is pronounced.
I have only made two diff fluid changes. So my knowlegde is limited. But when I lightened up my fluids all around it seemed to have better power delievery for me.

Last edited by Szczerba; 11-02-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #64
Rock Crawler

I luv to bash these things..had about 5 of them !!! Big props!!!
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #65
Pebble Pounder

First, I don't have any experience on DRX's but I've been tearing gravel roads with 4x4 SC trucks and from there I'd say 3-5-1 is good starting point and it keeps the rear under control way batter than 5-7K, 5 in the center is good for loose surface but on tarmac it will eat Your front tires if You over drive the car. If You get decent grip from Your tires You can go higher ( 10-15K works for me ) in center, this brings sharper brakes and acceleration, it will ad undesteer but it shouldn't be a problem when You adapt to it. harder center diff oil will increase motor and esc temps and it will strain batteries more so keep an eye on those.
CheapTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

I'm going a little thicker.

I am trying 10, 10, 30

Obviously it's going to depend on the terrain (of which we don't have a consistent course, yet) and the temps outside.

My hope is that they don't unload as easy in the rear to keep forward momentum or kicking the rear out.

I may be wrong on it but it is worth a try. I wanted to use 20 but didn't have enough for a diff (you ask why I would save it then, I don't know)
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'm going a little thicker.

I am trying 10, 10, 30

Obviously it's going to depend on the terrain (of which we don't have a consistent course, yet) and the temps outside.

My hope is that they don't unload as easy in the rear to keep forward momentum or kicking the rear out.

I may be wrong on it but it is worth a try. I wanted to use 20 but didn't have enough for a diff (you ask why I would save it then, I don't know)
With fluids that heavy, I think you will have a tough time steering at slow speeds and will be spun out on loose surfaces coming off corners. Just my thoughts.

I was also told to go light and work towards heavier fluids if needed.

I would think one would want run as light as possible fluids and still have the car drive for them. Ie, not diffing out but still hooking up. Seems like tire wear could be an indicator for fluid changes too.

Just my keyboard tuning thoughts.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
With fluids that heavy, I think you will have a tough time steering at slow speeds and will be spun out on loose surfaces coming off corners. Just my thoughts.

I was also told to go light and work towards heavier fluids if needed.

I would think one would want run as light as possible fluids and still have the car drive for them. Ie, not diffing out but still hooking up. Seems like tire wear could be an indicator for fluid changes too.

Just my keyboard tuning thoughts.
We aren't running on tarmac so I am not as concerned right now. Fluids I had were 1K, 10K, 30K, 100K, 300K and 500K.

It will be a learning process. The great thing about learning is you are driving....

Reality is that unless you are running the same terrain all the time, the tuning will always be changing. We will see how this goes and I will report back in my thread.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Rckcrwlr, do You have extra crosspins and gears in the diffs ? if You don't 20 K might work OK but if You do they're as good as spools on power. I'm not saying it's a bad thing You'll just have to drift the corners
CheapTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapTwin View Post
Rckcrwlr, do You have extra crosspins and gears in the diffs ? if You don't 20 K might work OK but if You do they're as good as spools on power. I'm not saying it's a bad thing You'll just have to drift the corners
I thought of that when I did it but...the thing is, the DRX showed up yesterday, the extra gears showed up today.

Like I said, we will see how it goes. I ordered some lighter stuff.

I believe that no one else is running fluid at our GTG on Sunday so we can see how much it affects the performance...not to mention it will be the first time I am driving it. If it feels like I am fighting with it more than driving it, then I will know that I went to thick.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #71
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Did you buy the aftermarket gasket kit? Should help with the leaking.

I don't how you guys are driving it with the thicker oils in the center, that is when mine looped out a lot. Now that I have 3k in the center of mine it is much easier to drive and tracks much better. I was going to even go lower in the center.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I don't how you guys are driving it with the thicker oils in the center, that is when mine looped out a lot. Now that I have 3k in the center of mine it is much easier to drive and tracks much better. I was going to even go lower in the center.
Ty,
I haven't run mine yet so we will see. I ordered some lighter fluid just in case. First run is tomorrow. Depending on the terrain, I will adjust accordingly. Just wish these diffs were easier to get to.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

you gonna have that new body by this weekend shane??

looks good..
cant wait to drive it..
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post

looks good..
cant wait to drive it..

Strapping tape it and shoo goo. or some scale duct tape on the front...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #75
Pebble Pounder

In my diff's I use Green Grease | The Best Grease Money Can Buy!. ( That's how the link came out. Not endorsing it.) All my rc's get grease.
I never use diff fluid. I also only have two gears in the diff. I do have the extra gears if needed. Front shocks are 30wt with medium sway bar. Rear is 27.5wt with hard sway bar. Preload on shocks is 12mm front and rear. Between this setup and the control parameters that the Tekin has over the motor. The car handles very well.
buzzbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLANDROCKSHOP View Post

looks good..
cant wait to drive it..
Last destination outgoing scan was in San Francisco Tuesday night. We'll see.

Quote:
Strapping tape it and shoo goo. or some scale duct tape on the front...
Going to try and not whoop up on this body too much but my paint guy said it was ok to thrash it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbuzzard View Post
In my diff's I use Green Grease | The Best Grease Money Can Buy!. ( That's how the link came out. Not endorsing it.) All my rc's get grease.
I never use diff fluid. I also only have two gears in the diff. I do have the extra gears if needed. Front shocks are 30wt with medium sway bar. Rear is 27.5wt with hard sway bar. Preload on shocks is 12mm front and rear. Between this setup and the control parameters that the Tekin has over the motor. The car handles very well.
Good information right there.

I liked the stock grease that was in the diffs out of the box but after several battery packs they started spinning too freely and the car would diff out too much. I would probably use just grease if there was a way to "quick fill" the diffs.

I put 55wt all around in mine and it's a pretty firm setup. I'll will swap back out to a lighter fluid on the next tear down.
I am only running a front sway bar but I only need the two little rod end set screw collars to add the rear. They'll be there today. Not sure when it will get put on though.

Last edited by Szczerba; 11-08-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Yea, As far as the sway bar goes. Kinda bummed it didn't come with enough hardware to mount both front and rear. I happened to have a traxxas sway bar . Dynamite Slash Front Sway Bar Kit [DYN7909] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies So I used the hardware from that to do the rear.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yea, As far as the sway bar goes. Kinda bummed it didn't come with enough hardware to mount both front and rear. I happened to have a traxxas sway bar . Dynamite Slash Front Sway Bar Kit [DYN7909] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies So I used the hardware from that to do the rear.
My same thoughts. I had everything to complete a rear setup but these.
Hot Bodies Ball Set For Sway Bar 5.8x10mm (4) [HBS66605] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies
Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #79
Pebble Pounder

Pics bro.......We need pics of that sexy body on the car. Also durability. Are the aftermarket bodies more durable? Is there less drag with the lower profile body? Do you notice a differance in performance with the Lancer vs C4?
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Pics bro.......We need pics of that sexy body on the car. Also durability. Are the aftermarket bodies more durable? Is there less drag with the lower profile body? Do you notice a differance in performance with the Lancer vs C4?
Body is still in the hands of the USPS. Probably another couple days before it gets here and I'll have to mount it and finish out the sponsor decals.

Szczerba's DRX VE Demon Rally - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team [HOONIGAN]'s DRX(s) TURTLE Rally 314 10-30-2021 06:24 PM
cbp27's DRX Build cbp27 Rally 83 08-19-2015 12:23 AM
kyosho updating the drx foproy Rally 31 11-29-2012 09:38 PM
Micky's DRX VE mickyteng Rally 5 11-13-2012 04:11 PM
drx out of the box coolair Rally 9 08-12-2012 12:26 PM