Notices

Thread: The WRC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The WRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
Back in the days when I was just a child watching VHS of previous year's Group B, that's when I felt in love with Rally. But as said by pixelnate, its just unreal, especially nowadays. Can you imagine a car rated like a F-1 car, sliding through those tight and dangerous Monte Carlo roads? Not to mention that it would be unpractical to fund such development.
You realize current WRC cars are turning faster stage and rally times than Group B cars correct? 300hp cars keeping up to claimed 600hp cars...it happens.

While Group B might be faster in a straight line, they were poorly behind in technology to allow them to handle corners, jumps and terrain issues. Even now most WRC cars can out accelerate their older Group B cousins.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #22
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
You realize current WRC cars are turning faster stage and rally times than Group B cars correct? 300hp cars keeping up to claimed 600hp cars...it happens.

While Group B might be faster in a straight line, they were poorly behind in technology to allow them to handle. Even now most WRC cars can out accelerate their older Group B cousins.
Yep it's true!

The only issue with Group B (IMO) was that fans were crazy, causing the issues in the 80's.

I really think group B could be a good class again in the WRC, though besides the HP I'm not sure what the differences in cars would be...

Maybe Stig could come back and race.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Keep in mind that the killer "Bs" tech made the cars of today go faster. That is the way racing works.

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #24

Mikko leading at the end of the day today.

Loeb, Latvala, Solberg and tons more are starting under rally 2 rules tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

WRC - Rally Sardinia Day 1 & 2
WRC 2012 Italy [Sardegna] Day 1 - Part 1/2 - YouTube
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Yeah man, the news finally came out. Petter´s out of 2013 WRC. On the other hand, Seb will be competing 4 events: Monte Carlo, France, one yet TBA and strangely, Sweden!

Citroen´s DS3 will have a new livery and apparently Red Bull wont be its backer for 2013.

What appear as confirmed for now is:

Citroen: Mikko, Sordo, Seb*

Ford: Ostberg, Hanninen*, ?

VW: Ogier and Latvala, ?

Mini*: Atko, ?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #27

Yeah, I can't believe no one picked up Solberg. He is a great driver and IMO has at least a few more years on the podium.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Yeah, I can't believe no one picked up Solberg. He is a great driver and IMO has at least a few more years on the podium.
I'll put money on it that he comes to the US to do global rally cross, just like Marcus Gronholm.
ngward79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngward79 View Post
I'll put money on it that he comes to the US to do global rally cross, just like Marcus Gronholm.
I hope so! I would make it to an event if he was there.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Btw, I've noticed that WRC's again popular in the States. I think its about time that you guys host a WRC event! I remember that there was a WRC event in the State a while back, sometime in the ´80 I guess. Where was it? Washington State or something wasnt it?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

isnt pikes peak a wrc event?
slegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Btw, I've noticed that WRC's again popular in the States. I think its about time that you guys host a WRC event! I remember that there was a WRC event in the State a while back, sometime in the ´80 I guess. Where was it? Washington State or something wasnt it?
Yes sir, 1986 Olympus Rally Washington. The end of Group B and American WRC. The Olympus Rally is still run in the Rally America Series. It would be amazing for the U.S. to host a WRC again, but Im not sure if the interest is there for the WRC. I think Washington would jump on it in a heart beat. IMO the WRC seems to be struggling, it seems that the IRC (now ERC) is generating more interest to drivers and teams. I think FIA and the WRC organizers need to get their act together before they loose all factory teams.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by slegh View Post
isnt pikes peak a wrc event?
I don't think so. I believe it is just a world famous hill climb with 91 years of history. Even if they paved it and changed it forever.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #34

The Hyundia i20 is looking pretty good and it looks like the company is willing to put the time and money into getting on the podium. I read a report saying they are planning on putting 60-70 million euros a year into racing with a focus on developing the car into a performance vehicle through racing.

There are a couple videos up of the car, but nothing too revealing yet.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:08 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

When is Hyundia going to have their first start in the WRC?
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

It's the FIA's fault that rally is dying. Instead of changing rules to make it less easy for Loeb to win they chased off all the old manufacturers. It was Loeb that ruined WRC. It became impossibly boring to watch the same guy win over and over, just like when Schumacher was with Ferrari. It was so boring to watch Michael win over and over.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
The Hyundia i20 is looking pretty good and it looks like the company is willing to put the time and money into getting on the podium. I read a report saying they are planning on putting 60-70 million euros a year into racing with a focus on developing the car into a performance vehicle through racing.

There are a couple videos up of the car, but nothing too revealing yet.
That is a whole lot of money man! No doubt about that when they are selling their cars in south america like water, while european manufactures (except germans) are struggling to stay afloat. Do you know who's gonna drive it?

Anyway, my bet goes to Ogier tho. He's a hell of a driver, one who could challenge Loeb and win. Back in 2011, Ogier won 5 rallies while running for Citroen. The same number of 1st places as Loeb. Its worth mentioning that that was his first "WRC official manufacture" full season, and his first and only year in Citroen. Not to mention that he won some of Loeb's favorite rallies, like France and Germany, but also some of the most difficult, like Acropolis and Portugal. The guy didnt need time to adapt to his new car.

I think the question is actually how long will VW take to match Citroen's pace. Half a season?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelnate View Post
It's the FIA's fault that rally is dying. Instead of changing rules to make it less easy for Loeb to win they chased off all the old manufacturers. It was Loeb that ruined WRC. It became impossibly boring to watch the same guy win over and over, just like when Schumacher was with Ferrari. It was so boring to watch Michael win over and over.

Lol, It's not Loeb's fault that his the best rally driver ever! FIA couldnt just rule him down!

But I agree that its FIAs fault that many factories left, tho the WRC was NEVER as popular as it is today. FIA took too damn long to adapt the WRC regulation to 2008s financial crisis. Most of the japanese makers like Subaru, Honda, went about bankrupt in a matter of months! Potential european factories not committed to the F-1, like Lancia, FIAT, VW, Skoda, Volvo, had to solve their finances first. It took almost 3 years for the new regulation to kick in! Almost 3 years for the WRC to become affordable!

FIA also messed with the calendar! We missed 2011 Monte Carlo's Rally for example, and we got what, Jordan Rally that nobody who cares!

FIA is runned by Bernie. He's a f. prick. All he cares is his own pocket.

But things are looking brigther anyway. Loeb's retired, new factories joining in and its getting more and more TV coverage.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Btw, I think its also very possible that Citroen's about to leave the WRC. It wouldnt surprise me that they redirect their efforts somewhere else, maybe FIA's GT cup or even F-1. Loeb's leaving, but he is still a Citroen's employee.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stburr91 View Post
When is Hyundia going to have their first start in the WRC?
I think Hyundia are set to start in 2014...
I think Toyota is set to start in 2014 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelnate View Post

Two years ago FIA made a lot of changes to make the WRC more practical, and it really was from what it was before. Yes it is still crazy expensive, but compared to F1 its very affordable. Hell for under 500,000 I can go race 6 events, jump in a car, have a full support team, and have everything waiting I need.

Quote:
That is a whole lot of money man! No doubt about that when they are selling their cars in south america like water, while european manufactures (except germans) are struggling to stay afloat. Do you know who's gonna drive it?

Anyway, my bet goes to Ogier tho. He's a hell of a driver, one who could challenge Loeb and win. Back in 2011, Ogier won 5 rallies while running for Citroen. The same number of 1st places as Loeb. Its worth mentioning that that was his first "WRC official manufacture" full season, and his first and only year in Citroen. Not to mention that he won some of Loeb's favorite rallies, like France and Germany, but also some of the most difficult, like Acropolis and Portugal. The guy didnt need time to adapt to his new car.

I think the question is actually how long will VW take to match Citroen's pace. Half a season?
I really hope they get in gear quick, personally I think Ogier is the best driver in the WRC right now and has a really good chance of taking the series. With a year of tuning the car under his belt I think he is pretty set at this point to do it. Hell the guy finished top 5 with a S2000 Skoda, that alone says a lot about his driving skill.

Quote:
Lol, It's not Loeb's fault that his the best rally driver ever! FIA couldnt just rule him down!

But I agree that its FIAs fault that many factories left, tho the WRC was NEVER as popular as it is today. FIA took too damn long to adapt the WRC regulation to 2008s financial crisis. Most of the japanese makers like Subaru, Honda, went about bankrupt in a matter of months! Potential european factories not committed to the F-1, like Lancia, FIAT, VW, Skoda, Volvo, had to solve their finances first. It took almost 3 years for the new regulation to kick in! Almost 3 years for the WRC to become affordable!

FIA also messed with the calendar! We missed 2011 Monte Carlo's Rally for example, and we got what, Jordan Rally that nobody who cares!

FIA is runned by Bernie. He's a f. prick. All he cares is his own pocket.

But things are looking brigther anyway. Loeb's retired, new factories joining in and its getting more and more TV coverage.
Even so the WRC still isn't what most would consider "affordable". It is more affordable, but I don't think that means a whole lot. Personally I think the WRC has lost a lot of prowess that it once had. FIA is in part responsible for how the WRC currently is, but FIA also controlled the IRC, now the ERC, which is extremely popular for drivers. Hell there are many teams in the IRC that don't get near the WRC.

You also have to remember that there are several classes in the WRC class. The WRC cars are actually one of the smallest classes raced. Even so I think there are somewhere around 26 drivers in the class.

Subaru, Mitsubishi, Skoda, Honda, etc. all still race in the WRC, just not with a WRC car, they compete mostly in the S2000 and other similar classes.

Yeah new teams are joining, but Mini and Ford both dropped out this year, so its basically the same, sure there are more cars, but less factory support. This comin year only has VW and Citroen as factory teams...

Quote:
Btw, I think its also very possible that Citroen's about to leave the WRC. It wouldnt surprise me that they redirect their efforts somewhere else, maybe FIA's GT cup or even F-1. Loeb's leaving, but he is still a Citroen's employee.
it is possible, however they just signed a deal with Abu Dhabi for 3 years, it is possible they have something in their contract to let them break this, but you never know.

Loeb is going to be racing touring car this coming year, personally I think Loeb had prospects in F1, but I don't think he has been in the seat of one for a couple years now.

The WRC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where is the WRC? Scattman Chit Chat 2 06-07-2011 11:48 AM
The best of wrc crash 2004 666 Chit Chat 8 08-24-2010 04:06 PM
WRC on HD theater slobin3d Chit Chat 16 10-19-2009 08:20 PM
jootz DF-03RA WRC wip JOOTZ Non Crawler RC's 39 06-28-2009 01:01 PM
Subaru pulls out of WRC Rudukai13 Chit Chat 14 12-17-2008 02:05 PM