Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Vaterra Kemora & Kalahari

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #21

Default Re: Vaterra Kemora & Kalahari

Only problem I can see on them is the open pinion and spur connection... unless that was open for picture sake... Cause, if it is open, I can see dirt getting in there, and wam bam kazam, spurs' gone
Mr. Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

I have one of the Kemoras and put it on a track today. The only mods were adjusting the battery holders to allow a bigger battery and running 2S. Wow this little dude was awesome! Was full throttle on the sweeping turns and the tires were squealing! I did put a good quality 15t pinion on it but others then that it's all stock.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

new low price , i may have to have one

VATERRA Kemora 4WD Rallycross 1/14 RTR (VTR01000) | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and accessories
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
RCC Addict

I saw the lower price of it as well on great Hobbies website. Somebody that has one, can you tell me if a 2s lipo this size will fit: 88mm long, 32mm wide and 18mm high? If it will then I'm sold on one of these.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
I saw the lower price of it as well on great Hobbies website. Somebody that has one, can you tell me if a 2s lipo this size will fit: 88mm long, 32mm wide and 18mm high? If it will then I'm sold on one of these.
That's the correct size for it
Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbaneck View Post
That's the correct size for it
Perfect, thanks
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Here's my Kalahari in its ugly duckling cloths.

Unlike many of the Kemoras and Kalaharis that I've seen on YouTube, mine isn't heading for 'how fast can it go?' and 'how big a jump will it do?' Mine will be heading to the great outdoors as a trail car and eventually to a scale project that has been begging to be built for a couple years now.

I have to say that this car, even stock, is FAST... Way, WWAAYY too fast for where I want to go with it, so slowing it (way) down is in order. And trying to start slow is almost impossible with the cogging produced by the motor and ESC combination. Putting on the 62T spur gear from the spare parts bag did help a little, as did larger tires which also improved the car's off-road, read that as 'in the grass,' abilities. More, ( or rather less,) is required though. Smaller pinions ( LOSB1260 ) have been ordered and are on their way. I'll probably be ordering a lower KV motor as well; I'm considering a HobbyKing Donkey ST380L ( 3600kv Brushless Inrunner Car Motor (13.5T), ) which should, just, fit the stock motor mount configuration. I'd go down to a 2000-something KV if I could find one in a 380 size can. Worse comes to worse, I'll swap in the brushed motor & ESC from my MRC and work it up from there to the wheel speed I want. The future of the driveline might also include a crawler/scaler gearbox to replace the 'direct drive' centre shaft.

As to the larger tires, I've put on a set of no-name Chinese crawler tires mounted on Gmade VR-01 1.9" beadlock wheels. I have to put out a couple cautionary notes here. The inside diameter ( 41mm ) of the VR-01 rims is enough to clear the Kalahari's suspension components, but my stock MRC rims bound up on the inner bead lock rings. So, not all 1.9s will fit.

The second cautionary note is about the axle stubs themselves. Outside the dogbone cup, (sorry, don't know if that's the proper term,) the shaft is 4mm out to just beyond the drive pin. That is where the shaft drops down to 3mm diameter and is threaded for an M3 wheel nut. This threaded portion is shorter than the MRC's; short enough that the nylok part of the lock nut doesn't fully grip the shaft, so it can back off, unexpectedly, if you're not careful.

I'd also be cautious about taking a hard hit and bending the outer part of those shafts, given the bit of slop between the threaded part of the shaft and the wheel hub. The drive pin is smaller in length than the pin on the MRC, same diameter though. ( Might be a hop-up product idea there, not only for the Kemora/Kalahari, but for the Mini 8ight as well. An axle shaft with a Kemore/Kalahari/Mini 8ight dogbone cup with a slightly longer outer shaft threaded for an M4 hub nut. )

Just a couple more items to relate and I'll close this post off before it becomes a total 'wall of text,' ( too late I think. ) I moved all the shocks to the inner holes, top and bottom; that got me a little more ground clearance overall; softer springs, higher weight shock oil and 75-80mm shocks may be in store here as well.

I'm putting 120k weight diff oil in the differentials to tighten them up for running trails, but still have some slip on harder surfaces. I'll probably go to a higher weight in the end, but 120k will be a good starting place.
Bl-air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Ive got the Kemora version. It is based off the mini 8ight platform. the longer chassis is allot nicer in my opinion. I set mine up to run a bigger lipo, and relocated the battery position and the electronics. Then I made sure to balance out the layout to help it handle right with a full size pack. Its a blast to drive. Handles the concrete and offroad like a true rally cross should. Its just a solid platform to have and take modifications well.
MikeMontgomery1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

On sale for $119 for probably another hour at Amain. Vaterra Kemora 1/14 4WD RTR Electric Rallycross w/DX2L 2.4GHz, Brushless, NiMH Battery & Charger [VTR01000] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

And use Calpnov513 for another $5 off.

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

tempting
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

So these rigs can be had for about $120-130. Thinking of picking one up. Seriously tempting.

Also read that they are now discontinued?
Put parts shouldnt benmuch or an issue as they share a lot with the Losi Mini8's... good thing?

Last edited by 2JSC; 12-07-2013 at 08:58 PM.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #32

I doubt discontinued maybe out of stock? Definitely worth the $127 I paid for mine and then some! These things are built very well.
Mike Rawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

These are discontinued. Check Horizon's website. I just bought one and love it. They are really high quality. They are getting blown out everywhere. If you get a chance, pick one up. At $120 you can't go wrong. The electronics alone are worth that much.,
Sapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

If you dont already have one of these, then get one. I've had my kemora for just over a month and been having a blast with it, been running it bone stock and theres a few minor changes needed but need to get a lipo the stock nimh blows

Went out for some snow cross

this thing handles the snow no problem, i usually just pull the body and batt out and let it sit in the bath tub till it dries a little, done this a few times now with no issues, i dont know why Vaterra would disco these cars because they are really well made and will take all the abuse you can throw at them

Last edited by Dr.Newb; 12-16-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Dr.Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

I wonder if the Canadian recall had anything to do with it being discontinued?

Just got mine today. Haven't ran it yet but I'm impressed so far. Can't believe I got it for $120.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja turtle View Post
I wonder if the Canadian recall had anything to do with it being discontinued?

Just got mine today. Haven't ran it yet but I'm impressed so far. Can't believe I got it for $120.
No. It was a problem with the chargers. All they did was have the hobby shops remove the chargers from the box and reseal them with new stickers. I think there just was not enough interest. They were selling for over $300 before and to be honest I would never had bought one untill the prize drop. Not that it's not worth it, but I have so many other cars I'm invested in. However at $160(including taxes here in Canada), I could not walk away and picked one up. I went to my local hobby shop telling myself I'm only here for two 4mm bullet connectors and that's it. I ended up walking out with the Kemora, and the 2 connectors lol.
Sapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #37
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapes View Post
No. It was a problem with the chargers. All they did was have the hobby shops remove the chargers from the box and reseal them with new stickers. I think there just was not enough interest. They were selling for over $300 before and to be honest I would never had bought one untill the prize drop. Not that it's not worth it, but I have so many other cars I'm invested in. However at $160(including taxes here in Canada), I could not walk away and picked one up. I went to my local hobby shop telling myself I'm only here for two 4mm bullet connectors and that's it. I ended up walking out with the Kemora, and the 2 connectors lol.
Which reminds me Anyone in Canada that bought their Kalahari and/or Kemora prior to the recall should put in for their charger refund. It's not much, but enough for a couple bottles of new shock oil!

Details are at the bottom of the product page, in the recall notice.

Vaterra Kalahari 4WD Desert Raider 1/14 RTR (VTR01001): Vaterra

( In the Notes part of the Refund form, you could tell Vaterra how disappointed you are that the Kalahari and Kemora have been discontinued. I did. )
Bl-air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

I want to get some drift wheels/tires. Can anybody help me out? This is all new to me and i dont know what size, offset, ect. to get.
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #39
Gettin’ back on the horse

0 offset, standard 1.9 tires and wheels with 12mm hex.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

I love mine. I got both kits when the went on sale 6 weeks ago. I running the Kemora stock with 2S lipo and I found a clear body, so I could do my own paint. The Blue Cow Rally car...Thread to follow. My Kalahari is set up the same except I modified the body posts and bumpers and put a Tamiya Mini Cooper body on it. I worked on the suspension and chenged the oil and position so there was more progression and more dampening. I'm also running Tamiya 1.9 and HPI 1.9 wheels all wrapped with Tamiya Rally Block Tires. I did the Colorado Rally last Sunday and both cars performed very well. My only critisism is the ESC. It's fine for bashing around, but not so good for racing. I see a Mamba Max Micro in my future.
ski29mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Vaterra Kemora & Kalahari - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Vaterra Twin Hammers Discussion nissan_driver24 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 01-30-2013 01:47 PM
RCP Crawler site &&&& DNA help 93'wrangler Newbie General 7 11-11-2008 03:31 PM