Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Vaterra Kemora & Kalahari

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Vaterra Kemora & Kalahari

Got to run mine for the first time yesterday. This my first rc car so the no brakes thing took a sec to get used to. So much freeking fun. Im thinking about getting another one. Seems i can hold off until summer for drift tires.

Heres a couple vids, pretty weak but i got to start somewhere.

trimCCEAB495-9643-4BA3-A039-F32431DB491E_zps60f8807f.mp4 Video by no-idea- | Photobucket

trim9E921A1A-389E-4D6E-8BFE-580C564A3E9C_zps4ba49e6a.mp4 Video by no-idea- | Photobucket
ninja turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

After owning one for the past 3 months. i must say its worth the money.. i took the electronics and i put them in the Losi Mini 8eight and it ran great.. returned it back to the Kemora and its a beast! Jumps great, corners nicely and handles it self around a track pretty well for its size. Pull the battery box out..2 screws. put some heavy duty velcro down instead. Opens the range of 1500-1800 mah batteries.. also the shocks suck! on jumps you ll be lucky if you dont lose your springs. the spring cup (the part that screws to the metal shaft) pops off and you lose the springs. annoying as hell. next buy some robinison gears.. the ones on the kemora are of the cheapest metal possible.
other than those issues its a fun little rally car!
jeepgeek2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Where's the best place to buy one now? Yes, I waited to long, I know, but I now possibly have the money for one and always wanted to try a rally rig!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

look on ebay ... RPP or A Main Hobbies?
jeepgeek2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #45

Turnigy nano-tech 2250mah 2S 65~130C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse) http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=33232
Custom lexan gear shield made from some old rc body scraps
Middle spur gear

With these 130c batt this thing was poppin wheelies on accel and going on front two wheels under brake in the hallways of the hotel in Gatlinburg this past weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...62635069393183
Mike Rawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

I have had a Kalahari for a few weeks now, and i am LOVING it, DEFINITELY worth what i paid.

i did "modify" a couple things though,

Old basketball shorts to cover low mounted vent holes (but still allow airflow)

Duck tape for a pinion/spur cover (may upgrade to the lexan idea as i like that better.

did the 'ole duck tape under body post holes (noticed some stress because the rear pins are a PITA)

and a couple of pics first one is stock second is with street rims/tires

(may notice i took the sticker off of the wing)
you can also see in the first pic that i heated up the front bumper a little (with a lighter) and bent it to follow the body a little better.

as you can pry tell this pic was before bumper modification

scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Finally got a Kemora. Holy squirrel turds!! This thing is ridiculously fun!! It's still primarily stock, aside from changing shock oil to 45w (it's what I had around), and making some lexan front arm guards & rear dog bone shields. I've looked into upgrades, and based on the Mini 8ight cross-compatibility, have a fair bit 'o alloy on the way for it. (Question: How does something so small burn up so much money?! )

First impressions: Bang for buck factor is high! Size is big enough to rip outdoors with, yet small enough for some indoor use as well. And, as a bonus to both of those factors, it's far easier to travel with (I fly a lot for work) than my SCTs or crawler. The L-M-H throttle settings available on the TX are a nice perk, too!

Overall, I think this will be a super fun rig to run (see also: spend silly amounts of $$ on), and a blast to rally with!

Last edited by turbodan13; 01-16-2014 at 05:30 PM.
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Here's the lexan bits I fab'd for it.

Sent from mobile, with clumsy thumbs, tiny keyboards & autocorrect. Of course this post makes no sense!
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2014, 07:10 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Just came across a Kemora "roller" on ebay.... installed a Castle Creations Micro Sidewinder and am dying to test this thing. Even though the Kal/Kem's have been discontinued, my LHS swears they will support these for some time to come. Read lots of threads on these, did the shock oil, adjusted the shock angle, changed to alloy hex's from the Mini 8ight, and am waiting for a RR 58t hardened steel spur gear. Will fab a spur shield next to try and keep debris out of the pinion and spur next. The filter idea is a great one for the chassis cover btw!

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Kemora

Axial SCX10 - "Custom", GMADE portal axles, Traxxas Summit 2 spd trans, Castle SCT 1410 brushless and SCT ESC. 2S power.
Vaterra Kemora - Castle Micro Sidewinder, Freshly painted Traxxas Fiesta rally body....
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Made a new set of lower arm skids out of 1.5mm aluminum sheet. Fronts now cover the full underside of the arm. Rears are taller, incorporating a larger debris shield, and cover the full underside of the arms. I've also made a set of front mud flaps, using some spare Proline light bar mounts. Mini 8ight rear uprights, hub carriers & steering knuckles are on the way. I cut the hood scoop and used some small mesh brass screen to fill behind it, and opened 4 holes in the rear windshield to help vent the body. Pics to come soon.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Front & rear lower arm skids, and front mud flaps.

Sent from mobile, with clumsy thumbs, tiny keyboards & autocorrect. Of course this post makes no sense!
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Mud flaps V2, and a few scale details. A lot of this has just been to figure things out for the new body going on it.

Attached Images

Old 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

A dig through the spares bin, some LEDs hacked from a defunct bike light, and the Kemora now has a blindingly bright set of lights!

Attached Images

Old 01-23-2014, 03:12 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

New Mods;

I have since moved the exhaust tip farther left

Last edited by scorpion ax-10; 01-23-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #55

Shoulda bought more of these at Christmas. Kinda sounds greedy now that I think about it... Since it hasn't broke yet.

Tore it down last week to inspect everything and degrease etc... The car has seen quite a few packs. The tires are treadless. Some more than others due to either the front and rear shocks being on the L and R sides or the tires continually coming unglued from their rims.

Anyways, the only thing I saw was a loose front axle pinion screw. Tonight I was thinking one of the wheel bearings looked a little loose after some -5°F bashing in the driveway. Probably nothing to worry about.

A functional beadlock rim thats light and would work with these tires?

Last edited by Mike Rawler; 01-24-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Mike Rawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rawler View Post
Anyways, the only thing I saw was a loose front axle pinion screw. Tonight I was thinking one of the wheel bearings looked a little loose after some -5°F bashing in the driveway. Probably nothing to worry about.
I know how that goes, Up here in Sault Ste. Marie MI ive driven mine in real feel of -20, i too, and very pleased wit hthe amount of breakage being nothing.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #57
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rawler View Post

A functional beadlock rim thats light and would work with these tires?
I would avoid beadlocks at all costs. 1.) they probably won't hold the tires on any way and 2.) the amount of rotating mass you will be adding will be incredibly hard on the drivetrain.

Clean the rim really well, scuff up the bead of the tire and buy a bottle of IC2000 rubberized CA glue and the tire will never leave the wheel again.

Last edited by TURTLE; 02-01-2014 at 06:42 PM.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #58
RCC Addict

The mud flaps, very good idea, very scale, the lights, also very scale and well done for re-purposed light kit. May have to add some of these ideas....if you guys don't mind.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

I just ordered a vaterra kemora, should be here next week. I have read about the spur and pinion gears stripping when running on lipos . I haven't found for sure a fix for this problem. Does anyone know of one? A different gear set and part number if you know. Thanks for your help.
borock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

I may have found the answer to the question above. I read that a associated 18 , 14 tooth pinion will work and stop the stripping. Can anyone confirm this?
borock is offline   Reply With Quote

Vaterra Kemora & Kalahari - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Vaterra Twin Hammers Discussion nissan_driver24 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 01-30-2013 01:47 PM
RCP Crawler site &&&& DNA help 93'wrangler Newbie General 7 11-11-2008 03:31 PM