Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Is the suspension supposed to be this crooked?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #21

Default Re: Is the suspension supposed to be this crooked?

Here is what I have now. This is also using a different shock mount. Two holes on it.

Front compressed comes in at 71mm.
Front extended is 94mm eye to eye (I think it's supposed to be 90???)

When I have the steering turned, the wheels are looking very odd. The inner seems way off axis. He outer looks like a real truck. Here is a video...
Jereemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2015, 07:37 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

it looks like the axle is clocked for ward as long as the pinion angle is good and nothing binding you will be fine its not going to turn on a dime or you can get longer lower links or shorter upper links and it should roll the axle backwards and make it look correct
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:39 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Your front upper links are too long, See how the front driveshaft has no angle on the u-joint at the axle. This will cause the steering to look funny because the caster is wrong.

Also since it a used truck, remove both front wheels and check the 2 screws (1 top, 1 bottom) on each knuckle for slop. The front yota axles were notorious for wearing out there.

*off topic - - we bought the same chair for our son.
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharkey85 View Post
Your front upper links are too long, See how the front driveshaft has no angle on the u-joint at the axle. This will cause the steering to look funny because the caster is wrong.

Also since it a used truck, remove both front wheels and check the 2 screws (1 top, 1 bottom) on each knuckle for slop. The front yota axles were notorious for wearing out there.

*off topic - - we bought the same chair for our son.

My 3 link is about 11mm longer than the kit.

I think I know why this was sold!! At least a few hours and some new link and its better. Replace these tomorrow at work and see how it acts.

I checked the hubs on the front axles and all looks ok. Both screws are snug but not too tight. I ordered a stainless screw set since I keep finding random Phillips and stripped hex screws. That should be here tomorrow also.

My son loves his chair, he will attempt to drag it all over the house. He's only one so when he can't move it he will just sit down acting like that's where he wanted to go!
Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Just reading over this thread, But i noticed you have small hoops for your front susp.
Would the taller ones help out with linked setup and 90mm shocks?
SirChirpAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:55 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChirpAlot View Post
Just reading over this thread, But i noticed you have small hoops for your front susp.
Would the taller ones help out with linked setup and 90mm shocks?
Help with articulation and ride height yes.....once those front links get situated.

Wife surprised me with "im going to this sale tonight" as i walked in the door yesterday evening. Couldnt get a minute to get to the TF2
nharkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:37 PM   #27

Default Is the suspension supposed to be this crooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nharkey85 View Post
Help with articulation and ride height yes.....once those front links get situated.

Wife surprised me with "im going to this sale tonight" as i walked in the door yesterday evening. Couldnt get a minute to get to the TF2

I understand that!!

So at lunch I fabed up new links- boom!! All better. I'll go buy new shocks tomorrow and let this baby crawl!!

I also notice my upper screw for the pass front chub is loose today. What's the fix to keep that thing tight?

Last edited by Jereemk; 03-06-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jereemk View Post
I also notice my upper screw for the pass front chub is loose today. What's the fix to keep that thing tight?

Thread lock on all metal-into-metal screws. If you haven't read our TF2 guide, I definitely recommend it for tips and ideas:
http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...ide-to-the-TF2
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Thread lock on all metal-into-metal screws. If you haven't read our TF2 guide, I definitely recommend it for tips and ideas:
http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...ide-to-the-TF2

I read it. I thought there was something else to it.

Shocks weren't in stock at the hobby shop. Ordered online. I did replace all the screws with stainless. 23 were stripped and I spent four hours cutting the out. Defiantly worth the work.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Default Is the suspension supposed to be this crooked?

Picking up a used rig is always a mixed bag, because you never know what will need attention. If the knuckle screws come loose even after thread lock, you may need a new axle housing (which sounds worse than it is). With what you've already done, there shouldn't be too much else that needs attention. If you haven't checked the shim on the front axle pinion, that's also a must. Larger shim should be inside the axle, smaller outside the axle. If you come across anything other issues, post away so we can help. :thumbsup:

Last edited by new2rocks; 03-16-2015 at 09:06 PM.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #31

I've had this truck a few weeks and many hours of learning and tinkering so I'll update the status

So today the rod ends finally showed up. A combo of replacing loose metal rod end (that also changed the length of the links) with plastic ones, stock height king shocks and I'm in business!!!!!! This thing turns great flexes like it's supposed to and I'm VERY happy. I am so thankful for all those who have given advise. It's truly amazing how you helped me.

So something cool I did because I pretty much could... I 3d printed a body lift. I found a file on thingiverse and it came out nice. Is a 20 mm lift. I a bought axial 35mm post and they hold the body to the frame and moved 2 of my plastic body posts to the bed. It's now bolt too!!

Tires are on the way. These are not cutting it anymore.

Is the suspension supposed to be this crooked? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crooked then Straight RickM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 11-15-2010 03:31 PM
4 linked it and I think its crooked RickM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 03-10-2010 11:51 AM
crooked axal jwilli2213 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 02-12-2008 10:29 AM