Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: mongoose rs10 build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 08:58 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Glad to see you guys got the mongoose systems up and running. I'm curious how these will work out for you. Wheelspeed is fun haha.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #42
Quarry Creeper

How is the servo mount holding up with the new servos? And did you get your high steer knuckles from ckrc installed and everything hooked up. I Just made another steering servo mount to try on my custom build. But I wont be able to put in a higher torque servo with it until I get my Castle BEC.

We have the first prototype servo mount still in our mostly stock RS10 with a RC4wd Servo and it is holding up great but it seems like you put your rig through a little bit more abuse than we do

Looking forward to some new photos and all your opinions now that everything is up and running.
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

that servo tray is holding up really well with the new servo's so far only got a couple batt cycles through it so far. we will see where it goes, its looking good though.
no i havent got the high steer knuckles on yet i spent about 4 or 5 hours yesterday putting together the mongoose setup and wanted to play so i got a bit distracted after that lol. high steer is going together today.

thanx for all the input everyone its making this build alot funner lol. also should have some video up this weekend of me at my home course and maybe some local spots i crawl at. i will take some pics of what it all looks like now... about 10 lbs of wire... that should paint the pic lmao.
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggie View Post
How did you break the axle shaft thingy? <- technical term
hey your tech term sounds about as good as mine lmao.

well i was going up this spot on my home course i like to call the frame twisting servo eater... and pop... front wheel drive lol.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

so i got the high steer on and found that i did have to bend my own link for the cross link between the 2 steering knuckles no biggy though. heres some pics of what its looking like now.

and with the mongoose motors theres no need to make room for the motors by custom bending links yaaaaay...
Old 05-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by camobob View Post
why did you spread the top links out ? I was under the belief that more triangulation is better.

This is actually exactly right. the way you had your links setup before is more than likely what broke the part. having both your upper and lower links running parrallel gives no stregth laterally. (side to side) the triangulation is the only thing keeping your axle from walking side to side under your rig. idealy you should have no less than 35-40 deg triangulation on your upper links. double triangulation (for a crawler) would be better.
FSJCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJCRAWLER View Post
This is actually exactly right. the way you had your links setup before is more than likely what broke the part. having both your upper and lower links running parrallel gives no stregth laterally. (side to side) the triangulation is the only thing keeping your axle from walking side to side under your rig. idealy you should have no less than 35-40 deg triangulation on your upper links. double triangulation (for a crawler) would be better.
Exactly, If you don't have triangulation you would need a panhard bar to keep the axle in place but no one wants to do that. Well at least I don't.

Good job on that build. Looking forward to the videos. We have a practice crawl tonight so we should have some more pics on the website.
DinoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Are those brushless? They look smaller than the stock motor.
eggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

yes they are brushless and yes they are a bit smaller then the stock ones but they pack one hell of a punch lol. i will put up a video tonight of the "WHEEL SPEED" omg its scary lol.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #50
Pebble Pounder

I just don't like the thermal shutdown thing I've been reading about.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoCrawler View Post
Exactly, If you don't have triangulation you would need a panhard bar to keep the axle in place but no one wants to do that. Well at least I don't.

Good job on that build. Looking forward to the videos. We have a practice crawl tonight so we should have some more pics on the website.
actually when i had them set up like that they didnt walk around at all. and when the block gave out it didnt just crack from one side to the other it was cracking from both sides and just popped straight forward but yes you are right about the pan-hard bar deal i have helped a few 1/1 crawlers setup there suspension both ways and if its parallel you have to run a pan-hard bar. and actually im prob. gonna move my links to the outside of the chassis and space them out a bit more because with the narrow kit the links are a bit too close in my opinion. and i dont want to ditch the narrow kit because it helps a ton in tight spots and the acrylic skid plate is awesome.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

also if it was to break from side load it would have most likely broke from the thinner part where it is mounted to the diff. not the middle of the link mounting holes.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

heres a little sample of whats to come... i like to call this "WHEEL SPEED TEST" LOL.

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...0513001932.flv
Old 05-13-2010, 11:24 PM   #54
Rock Stacker

that was awesome. i think wheel speed might be an understatement. cant wait to see more
4x4ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

That is quite a bit of wheel speed!!!

We ran a rig with the exact same narrow kit, bat wing eliminators and servo mount you have just without the mongoose set up and put it through a few hard drops and a couple hard rolls tonight at our local comp and it placed second in 10 rigs with 3 bullys, 2 losi night crawlers, 3 ax10's and 2 customs but overall it did extremely well and we are very proud of it especially since it is giving redcat an awesome rep.

We have yet to break any of our own parts though, so I would have to assume that the extensions weakened the blocks and caused them to fracture and after that point they were no longer able to take any strain and will continue to break no matter what hole you place the links in.

But the new wing eliminator blocks we are going to send you are not brittle at all and instead will be more of a soft material capable of a lot more abuse without breaking cracking or bending hopefully. We are interested to get your feedback after you get them.
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNO-RC View Post
That is quite a bit of wheel speed!!!

We ran a rig with the exact same narrow kit, bat wing eliminators and servo mount you have just without the mongoose set up and put it through a few hard drops and a couple hard rolls tonight at our local comp and it placed second in 10 rigs with 3 bullys, 2 losi night crawlers, 3 ax10's and 2 customs but overall it did extremely well and we are very proud of it especially since it is giving redcat an awesome rep.

We have yet to break any of our own parts though, so I would have to assume that the extensions weakened the blocks and caused them to fracture and after that point they were no longer able to take any strain and will continue to break no matter what hole you place the links in.

But the new wing eliminator blocks we are going to send you are not brittle at all and instead will be more of a soft material capable of a lot more abuse without breaking cracking or bending hopefully. We are interested to get your feedback after you get them.
awesome glad to hear someone is finally putting these things in some comps. sounds like yall had a good setup going to place second. yeah im a bit hard on stuff lol. but i have a feeling if i didnt try to test that bad idea of a spacer mod i dont think they would have ever broken on me lol. lets just say im scratching that one off under i didnt do it and you cant prove it file lol.
but anyway i guess theres some guys out here trying to get some comps set up so hopefully soon i will be able to run against some other rigs and see how this setup compares. although i still need to put some wheel weights on and get a set of rovers to see if i cant get some better traction without loosing that tire height. i just dont think the hammers are going to cut it out here theres just too many axle grabbers to try to fight around all the time.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Dude that thing has some pep. Hows the braking on steep grades?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

oh i just spent a couple hours cleaning up the wiring and kinda organizing the component wiring and got a couple pics of my parallel wire harness i built for the mongoose setup. that thing was a PAIN to make but it looks pretty dang good. im exhausted so i will upload the pics in the morning lol.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Dude that thing has some pep. Hows the braking on steep grades?
its eehhh ok i guess it holds for the most part but as the batt volts drops so does the holding power. in the vid you can see it holding the back tires off the ground about 1 inch and thats about a 60% incline
Old 05-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I just don't like the thermal shutdown thing I've been reading about.
the thermal shut down really is not that bad and its actually a really good thing to have because it keeps you from melting down your motors and if they get hot enough to trip the thermal circuit theres something wrong with your gearing anyways or you are just getting it in to a bind too much and shouldnt be pushing it that hard anyway. personally i am loving this mongoose setup more and more its just taking a bit to get use to controlling the throttle. wheel speed can be a car killer...