Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: mongoose rs10 build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #81
Quarry Creeper

also the front servo seems to have alot of play in it and its only the front cuting out the rear still works and its stoped working completely now i have even tried switching it around and nothing but the rear one works no matter what chan. i hook it to. idk lol.... im just going to try an external bec though.
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #82
Pebble Pounder

The lack of power from the internal BEC does some crazy thing from my expierence. It should make it better unless the servos are just bad which is unlikely. Let us know if it fixes it.
DinoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #83
Quarry Creeper

idk i personally think its the servo because i dissconnected both servos and tried the "bad" one in one steer channel and nothing then tried it in the rear steer chan and nothing. then i tried the rear servo in both steer channels and it worked fine. and right before it started going out it seemed like it was geting weaker and weaker and didnt want to turn as well. but i will let you know if anything changes.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

I've read all kinds of bad things about those servos. I posted some links for camobob at one time.

Here is a good read:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442171
eggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

well another thing i have noticed is that they are getting extremely hot fast. by the time my motors get too hot to run the servos are untouchable hot so i think that may be the problem that took out the first servo.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #86
Pebble Pounder

You know you're not suposed to propel your car with the servo it's just for steering.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #87
RCC Addict

I've never had a servo get hot...that's a pretty odd thing to happen. I would almost think something is binding up really badly if it's getting so hot you can't touch it.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Hey is this right, I have the power wires (red and black) to my CC BEC hooked to the main power wires for the battery, I have the power wires coming out of the BEC (Red and brown) hooked to the power wires for the servos and Y'd to both servos. I have the signal wires (Orange) for the servos hooked to the ESC.
GreMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #89
Pebble Pounder

I just plugged the red, orange, and brown wired plug into the receiver and let that distribute the power to the servos. The red and black are correct.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

ok so i took the first mg995 servo a part and found the motor had froze and has a couple dead spots in the motor that cause it to lock up so its filed under "toasted". i locked out the rear steer and put the rear servo up front and accedently over heated it now it does something really off the wall. when you turn the esc on it takes all batt power over and the truck turns its self off. so from what i have found is they have some serious over heating issue in the motors i mean with one of mine it just started geting hot just siting there doing nothing. not sure i would recommend these. i have removed mine and looking to get something else.

Last edited by talon0713; 05-24-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:04 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

ok so im thinking about seting up a set of axles with some 540 sized motors in it but i cant seem to figure out what esc/esc's to go with. i was wanting to make it so i only had to run one esc but it seems that only novak has an esc capable of runing dual 540 motors. if anyone has any suggestions that would be great thanx.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon0713 View Post
ok so im thinking about seting up a set of axles with some 540 sized motors in it but i cant seem to figure out what esc/esc's to go with. i was wanting to make it so i only had to run one esc but it seems that only novak has an esc capable of runing dual 540 motors. if anyone has any suggestions that would be great thanx.
I run the sidewinder (1). I love it. It's easy to program and has a real good drag brake. I think the MM and the FXR will work with dual 540's too.

Jake
jr104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #93
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

If you look around in the other MOA sections, I'm sure most combos will work in an RS10. I've used an FXR from the beginning on my Berg, works fine so far, but will warm up some with a lot of wheelspeed/full throttle use. I've used Epic 45t, and JPH 37t motors with excellent results.

Last edited by gunnar; 05-29-2010 at 07:06 PM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #94
Pebble Pounder

I use a Sidewinder on my Bully. Works great.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

what is everyones brush wear like with the crawlers? i havent ran any brushed motors with a crawler and i know with my stadium truck i was always changing em and it was a headache. thanx for the feedback
Old 05-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

ok so i have been beating my self up for the last couple days. to start i think i fried one of my mongoose esc's so i contacted novak about it. and now my rig is down for the count. and now my issue is i cant stop crawling and i want to get the m2 dig esc from novak but they are only on pre order still. so in the mean time i was thinking of just puting the stock motors in for now but then i put the stock esc in one of my stadium trucks and ran it with a 12t 540 trinity modified motor and it took it like a champ. so i was thinking about throwing these 2 matched 27t 540 motors in and see if i can let the smoke out. so now im torn. do i run the stock motors? or do i push the limits and put in the 540's?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:23 PM   #97
jwo
Rock Crawler

go 540's, day and night so much more power over stock.not sure how powerful those bl motors are, but i have more then enough now. i imagine 27t motors would be to fast. im running 45 in the rear and 35 in the front til i get my other 45 with 16 tooth pinions and its to fast on a 3 cell. not sure what you are running for a power source. only down side is squeezing em in. i only had to make some bent up lower links and mess with how the shock sits at the chassis for minimal rub. i ran 390's so i only had to mess with the shocks for the 540's they are as long as a 540. if you are not sure. pick up some extra motor housing, that way if you dont like it you can switch. my 540's dont even get warm after an hour run. the only time i have taken it easy is when its binded really bad. i have been keeping a close eye on the gears as well, no changes at all. not even worried about them any more. they will take some abuse. i have yet to find the limits of them. ill try that one once i have metal gears waiting to go in . i was hesitant on the 540's til i got the need for more then what i currently had.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwo View Post
go 540's, day and night so much more power over stock.not sure how powerful those bl motors are, but i have more then enough now. i imagine 27t motors would be to fast. im running 45 in the rear and 35 in the front til i get my other 45 with 16 tooth pinions and its to fast on a 3 cell. not sure what you are running for a power source. only down side is squeezing em in. i only had to make some bent up lower links and mess with how the shock sits at the chassis for minimal rub. i ran 390's so i only had to mess with the shocks for the 540's they are as long as a 540. if you are not sure. pick up some extra motor housing, that way if you dont like it you can switch. my 540's dont even get warm after an hour run. the only time i have taken it easy is when its binded really bad. i have been keeping a close eye on the gears as well, no changes at all. not even worried about them any more. they will take some abuse. i have yet to find the limits of them. ill try that one once i have metal gears waiting to go in . i was hesitant on the 540's til i got the need for more then what i currently had.
well i had lots of power with the mongoose 18.5's but i fried one of em and they had a serious heat issue and they dont make any heat sinks for em so i had to make some.
anyways i was going to make a 540 gear box anyway and keep a 380 gear box as a backup.
the thing that worries me is the fact that the pin for that front spur gear is like right there and from what i can see mocking up my 540 out of my stadium truck it looks like you have to grind it past that pin to get a set of 8t pinions in. and i really want to be able to use the 8t pinions for the reduced wheel speed and increased torque.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

oh and from what i have measured the 540 motors im going to use will fit without moding the links.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

ok so i got a chance to finally run against another "shafty" venom creeper on my home course and he was running semi droop with hb rovers it was a pretty good setup with the novak rooster crawler with a fifty five. anyway seems my rig is down till i get the 540 motors in i used my girlfriends rs10 "stock" with the bat wing eliminator and thats it and dang i rock that creeper pretty good. there was a quite a bit he couldnt do on my home course and it wasnt the driver because even i tried with his truck and couldnt do it. hes gonna come back over and we are going to set up some comp lines so we will see how it goes. maaan i want my truck back up and going, it does sooo much better then my girls lol...