Notices

Thread: mongoose rs10 build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #101
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon0713 View Post
well i had lots of power with the mongoose 18.5's but i fried one of em and they had a serious heat issue and they dont make any heat sinks for em so i had to make some.
anyways i was going to make a 540 gear box anyway and keep a 380 gear box as a backup.
the thing that worries me is the fact that the pin for that front spur gear is like right there and from what i can see mocking up my 540 out of my stadium truck it looks like you have to grind it past that pin to get a set of 8t pinions in. and i really want to be able to use the 8t pinions for the reduced wheel speed and increased torque.
i made up my mind on the 540's after not wanting that much heat from some pullers. i was told that my 390's would run hot, but i never had heat issues really. did when i ran weight in the wheels. axle no heat issues. still running it on the axle with the 540's but its to aid in the gear hold up. waiting til i have metal gears before i put weight in the tires again.
yeah i had to cut past the pin,but was still connected to the case as well as some additional bracing its no biggie. the 8 tooth pinions will not work drilled out to 1/8. tried it already. left hardly any material between the teeth and split the first time i tightened the grub screw. the 10 tooth pinions should be fine though. when i did my swap you can see how far i cut it and that allowed me to get the motor shaft close enough to touch the gear. i was just concerned about completely cutting off the spot for the pin. if you do decide to go threw with it. cut a little at a time and place the motor up to the case to test fit. im gonna go with a 12 13 tooth combo. if im not happy with that i will order the 10's and run a 10 12 setup. i only went with the 16's because i needed to get it going and that was the smallest pinion my lhs had on hand. as far as links you may not have to bend some up. im running a really narrow chassis
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
the 8 tooth pinions will not work drilled out to 1/8. tried it already.
I actually made some and had a little trouble getting them to drill straight at first but after making a fixture to hold them it worked well and there is still enough material to hold it together if you can nail center. And now that we have a fixture made we can make more and have some in stock to drill to any size people want. If they have a slightly different motor shaft than stock that is.
ZNO-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

i got mine all mocked up with the 8t pinions drilled out by zno and they are holding on fine i was also runing the 8t pinion on the rear with the mongoose motors and they have the bigger 1/8 shaft on them and i never had a problem with em. the only thing wrong was the fact that i drilled it crooked so it had a slight wobble lol. right now im just waiting on geting my forty fives in from novak. also i didnt have to shave my gear pin down at all. when i put the motor on and slid everything together it went right on and didnt have any gap in the gear case so that was cool. any way the only thing im having clearance issues with is the front shocks because they are a bit longer then the rears so all im going to have to do is slide them back a 1/4" and its good to go and i have the narrow chassis kit by zno.

Last edited by talon0713; 06-02-2010 at 10:55 PM.
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #104
jwo
Rock Crawler

oh thats cool, i had no luck with drilling i guess.mine didnt wobble or any thing. i did one, i will have to try it again. good to know about the zno- rc ones. if my gear combos dont work as well as i think ill keep those in mind.
i just got my other 45t in a couple days ago, still havent finished putting it back together yet. i think some 45's would be a good choice. i wanted to go with 35's but after figuring the kv's according to volts they would have been way to much. the 35 i had in the front spun alot faster then the 45 in the rear. big difference for only 10 turns.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

ya i think the 45's will work really well. i might wind up going a bit bigger gears if i dont like the wheel speed from the 8t's. and i think im going to use the rooster crawler esc with the punk dig. we will see how that works. only thing that kinda sux is the rooster cant go lower then a 37t but i dont think there will be much need for any lower then that with the 540 motors anyways. let me know whast the wheel speed is like with the 12t-13t combo. im prob. going to go 8t 10t on mine i will let you know how that works as well. thanks for the input everyone it makes the building progress a lot of fun.

oh i also noticed that zno got a spot on the redcat page for there products. thats awesome congrats.
all my stuff is holding up well thanks guys.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #106
Quarry Creeper

ok so gunnar was generous enough to hook me up with a few pins to try out for the locker assembly in my rs10 and they are really high strength steel. he sent me a couple different lengths to see what fit best. the stock ones were 11mm long and didnt quite fill the whole slot which leaves room for a bit of play and i dont like that too much. so i found that the 13mm length pins he gave me filled in to the slot perfect. there is almost no play in my spur assembly now so we will see how it holds up to the 540 motors when i get those in. i have a feeling its going to be a lot better.

thanx gunnar.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #107
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Glad they worked out for you Talon, thanks for testing them out. The pins are music wire, which is basically 1090 spring steel. The elasticity and strength of this alloy makes it a good material for pins. I just wanted to help the RS-10 guys out too, anybody else can PM me if you need any help, or pins.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #108
Quarry Creeper

just an update i changed over to 540 motors and did have to file down the pin for the first drive gear the novak motors sit a bit different then the trinity motor i used to mock the axles with. but im running the novak forty-five motors and they work great. still lacking the wheel speed of the mongoose motors but a little more toque. so i have really become torn between going back to having a little less torque and a ton more wheel speed or sticking with the 45t's. might try some different motors later down the road or try regearing to 10t-12t combo or just straight 12t. anyways i totally spaced taking pix on the build on the axles but i will post some pix of how it looks tomorrow. also with the zno bat wing kit i didnt have to bend new links for the motors i just re clocked the axles a little forward and it didnt hardly affect the steering. also im no longer using the rear steer i found it to be too much of a hindrance then help and the rear steer tended to eat up servos like candy.

next on the list is going to be longer shocks to go to the axle and bent links.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #109
Quarry Creeper

i got a really sweet pic of my rs10 just hanging out today... and i actually drove it through this and landed the 1 foot dead fall at the end lol.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #110
Rock Stacker

Sweet!
AngryTradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #111
Pebble Pounder

DAMN!!! Thats a sweet shot!! looks like a killer spot too!
RTVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #112
Quarry Creeper

yea this spot is like 2.2 crawler heaven. i got some guys coming down to crawl with me so we will probably head up to that spot again and im going to get some videos and more pix. theres tons of sweet lines and steep climbs that are just a blast and super technical... that being said there will be more sweet pix & vids coming.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:28 AM   #113
Pebble Pounder

I'm pulling the BS flag until I see video proof. Lol, just giving you crap.
eggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #114
Pebble Pounder

That looks like some serious traction. I thought we had grippy rocks.
DinoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #115
Quarry Creeper

yea in some spots we have good grippy rock but for the most part is really smooth due to water erosion.

anyways update. i finally got my front motor and esc back from novak and apparently there were 3 shorted coils in the front motor. so now my girlfriend is going to run the mongoose setup in her rs10 with 8t pinions. i think that may have been the problem with it in mine was running the 8t rear and 10t front. anyways figured i would throw that out there lol.