Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New body style RS10XT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New body style RS10XT

The knuckles I'm using yes are the same as stock in every way bearings, and width but the steering arm that comes off it dose limit steering slightly more than the stocker, different angle, I do believe you're correct on the high clearance knuckles especially with the universals not having a limited angle like the cvds, we mite be on the same path for maximum steer and drive shafts that aren't limited like the dog bones or cvds. Thx cabron. New ideas coming, kinda had a spark before but now I really think I've got a plan.
bbolden516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2014, 08:25 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Ok so the 102015 Universal Drive Shaft are a direct drop inn no mods needed, you will also need part# 02016 Universal Joint Cups for the diff. so that there is no slop/play in the cup with the dog bone end. However the axle shaft is very short, you only get a few threads on the axle nut, probably need thinner hex's. I went ahead and made some temp. high clearance knuckles out of the stock plastic ones to max out the turning radius, all I can say is wow, the pics speak for themselves. I have no idea how these will hold up my 1st bash test did go ok, but only time will tell. And it looks like those darn lower links shocks and so forth are in the way of steering again because there is so much of it. BTW if any one is interested I will be selling the aluminum knuckles I currently have, they are like new and I will sell all 4 of them for $30 shipped, if no takers on here I will post on ebay. 1st to RCC members following my build though.
Attached Images

Last edited by bbolden516; 03-23-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 03-24-2014, 03:42 AM   #83
RCC Addict

hahahaha

check these on ebay they do not have the setscrew but a dab of locktite on the pins should
keep them from sliding out
HSP 02134 Upgrade Parts 1 10 RC Model Car 12mm Wheel Hex 122042 | eBay

maybe wheel extenders will not only give you more clearance when turning but depending on which you get, the barrel
nuts might be able to grab more threads, i have some wheels that the mounting hole is all the way to the inside face.

if you look at some of the other universal axles, there were some with longer short shafts. you might be able to pop
the pin and swap out the ends and get your threads that way. 20 more dollars. the slimmer hexes work though

now to look for xr10 knuckles...

if you already went out for a bash and did not break the axles, they will be ok for me. haha
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #84
Pebble Pounder

I'm pretty sure the xr10 knuckles won't work because they are made with some kingpin inclination built in so the top and bottom holes in the knuckle are slightly off from each other. If fitted to the rs10 chub the wheels will either tilt in or out at the top depending on which way up they're mounted. This will reduce the tires contact patch on the ground I would imagine. But the high clearance knuckles for the AX10/scx10 are a direct bolt on. I'm using some cheap topcad scx10 knuckles on rear my lockouts as I kept breaking the plastic ones on falls.

I'm glad some of those CVD's are working for you, my only concern was if they would hold up to the abuse/strain of crawling. I hope the universals hold up better for you.
suij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #85
RCC Addict

thanks suij
yes the xr10 has the 8 degree knuckles and we would need the c-hubs
ax10/scx10 it is then
Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

nice to see those unis in place and u had a run on them already, so so far we are tougher than the other cheapo, shaft
iDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I now have about 30 to 45 mins of run time on the universals and snap, so I guess its back to the drawing board, im thinking of taking the stock dog bone cut and welding it to the universal cause it is still good and I really like the steering you get. The shaft on the cheap cvds and this universal are small and cant take the torque of even the stock motor on 2s lipo, as you will see in the pics the other one that hasn't broke but it is very tweaked I just don't see these holding up in stock form so I will mod them and see how well the universal holds up.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #88
RCC Addict

back to the drawing board
grrr
Old 03-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Ok so left to right you can see the stock dog bone is big in dia, then the cheap cvd next and the really small shaft of the universal, it just cant take it, the tall tire and the torque, it was made for a lite small tire car, not a crawler, however messing with it gave me the insight that universal is the way to go for the most steering its just gotta be more heavy duty.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Ok so I got my high knuckles not my 1st choice for a high knuckle but they were cheap as far as high knuckles go $45.76 for 4 of them. granted these are not a strait set of knuckles their angled so I modded the axle to offset this it really seems to steer easier than before and wow the steering angle max to max is awesome only thing holding me back is the links and shocks again. BTW I welded up the universals by attaching the stock dog bones to them to try them again and I also got a set of stock traxxas slash drive shafts to see how they do. In order to make the slash drive shafts work you gotta cut and hone out the axle tubes to make the big drive shafts fit / and you have to cut the length on the drive shafts to make them work, but there plastic so its really easy. I didn't mind cutting on the axles because I have a spare set and my originals are pretty much toast from cutting and modding and snapping all the cheap cvds and universals. So far the traxxas axles seem to be a tougher choice and their like a universal so steering isn't limited to the drive shaft. If I were to do the brushless mod like suji, I think I could inboard the links and shocks and have just as much or more steering than a
ax10.
Attached Images

Last edited by bbolden516; 03-26-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #91

I am really enjoying this thread, mine and my son's RS 10s came today and we had a blast with them. I'm sure when the weather starts to cooperate we'll find out what mods we will like to do. We got well over an hour runtime with the Venom 7cell hump 3000mah batteries I picked up for our Stampedes. I bought a six pack of them off of eBay so we could run the Stampedes more, but with the connector assortment we set a couple up for our Redcats so we wouldn't have to wait to try them. I'll be picking up some traxxas connectors for the trucks to make things more interchangeable so I don't have to change adapters on the venom batteries. Thanks for all of the great info guys us newbs appreciate it.
Ghk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

That's really awesome, I am very happy that you and your son are getting into this great sport, careful its really addictive, in a good and positive way IMO. I'm going outta town this weekend for work so ill check back middle of next week.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:47 AM   #93

Thanks B. I'll be starting a thread as we go. Keep up the great work.
Ghk700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #94
RCC Addict

hey bb

those 8 degree knuckles seem to work very well for a lot of people, but also it seems that on some terrains
they don't do as well as 0 degree, mostly the steep climbing and side crawling. enjoy
was there enough meat on the c-hubs for the top screw hole?

did the traxxas slash driveshafts you installed use the same stock bearings?
and how well do they attach to the locker? any issues or modifications there?
mmmm I am getting confused as to which slash you are talking about. are these the 6851x or 6851r?

thanks and let us know when you break them. hahahaha

Last edited by cabron; 03-30-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

As far as the drive shafts im including a screen shot off ebay of what I bought they are holding up great only down side is modding the axle to fit these big shaft into hehe. Any way all bearing are stock redcat have had to buy any different ones. the drive shaft will have to be cut down length wise and the drive cup to the diff has to be trimmed to line up the diff pin, all of this is easy cause their all plastic but there still really tough and beefy.
Attached Images

Last edited by bbolden516; 03-31-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:54 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

These are the shafts you first used? I'm gonna read back through I may try this very soon. IMO more steer angle is needed even if u were to go to dig or keep 4ws the angle just stil isn't enough.

Oh.. and knucles I want something new, I should just stick with a 0 degree knuckle? I just want metal in there or alum, these stock got so much play in em.

Last edited by iDC5; 04-01-2014 at 03:59 AM.
iDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:22 AM   #97
Quarry Creeper

I have the original aluminum ones I started with 4 of them for $30 shipped if interested.There is pics of them at the top of this page and previous pages as well. I now run the high clearance ones and am very happy with them but the older ones were great for the money hardly used in great shape.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

I think mountain said it best no poser pics here, just stopped the crawl snapped a few pics and crawled on, just action shots here, no rear steer used cause I wanted to see how my steering mods are paying off. IMO there great the pics speak for themselves. I did however break an axle tube on a bad tumble its a steep climb but the cement has great traction, until you go end over end.
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2014, 07:06 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Nice pics ! I'm gonna have to pick up some of those integy shafts soon and some high steer knuckles also. You have really transformed your rs10 and it looks like it is working great.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #100
RCC Addict

hey bb you have a spare slash drive shaft I could get (beg,borrow,steal) so I can measure and test the fit?
i don't know how to buy just one hahahaha

i also have 4 pairs of the hsp universals and 2 pairs of the hsp cvds all with drive cups too.
i am not going to use them at all. in testing the fit of them, i found that we have to use high steer knuckles
to be able to use the extra steering.
by cutting the steering stop and using my berg knuckles i can get a bit more steering without popping out
the dogbones from the cup

any one want the hsp drive shafts i will let them go cheap. the owner gave me notice to move and i need to lighten the load

Tags
new body style rs10xt

New body style RS10XT - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any pics of the SCX with an older Chevy body on it? Like the 67-72 C-10 style body? riz Axial SCX-10 16 01-03-2010 07:13 PM
New body style? Lt. Dan General Crawlers 6 10-10-2005 09:46 PM