Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What's with all the gen 8 hate?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Default What's with all the gen 8 hate?

My first 10 scale RC was an HPI venture. Probably half a dozen runs in.. A ton of stuff failed on it.

Motor, reciever, esc, servo, and a front axle broke down the road.

Put the same runs if not harder into my gen 8 and the only downfall was the was the body is mounted. It crawled where the beloved axial SCX10 2 wouldn't. My friend and my brother have built SCX10 2's and it went where they did if not some places they wouldn't.

Granted I instantly changed out the Reciever to a SR415 with the DX5C transmitter from my old broken HPI venture. Along with adding a 2290 savox servo.

But pretty much every RTR has a garbage servo and receiver on it.
Pythonmsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What's with all the gen 8 hate?

My friend frown on them, pretty much based on some guy in the group having a gen 7, but i don't know if the GEN 7 wasent a that good vehicle, or the driver was just bad as he don't have the 10 year or so experience me and my friend have.
I do think my friend forget that his trucks often have quite a few upgrades, where as i think the GEN 7 that guy had was pretty stock, and the owner probably dident even try to tweak it with the free tweaks any vehicle seem to have.
I personally cant see why the GEN 8 cant be a excellent truck out of the box, and i am sure it can be even better with a few essential upgrades, for instance i would like to brass out the portals for a lower COG though it do seem to side-hill fine out of the box.
And then i would probably put on some other tires and as you said update the stock electronics ( ESC - RX / TX - and servo )

sadly i am in PC update mode now, which on a pension will take quite a while as i am also into fairly decent computers.

And really my SCX 10.2 do just fine and it have seen little use for all the time and money i have sunk into it, so better use it for a while.
But ! i would so like to get a gen 8 undercover, set it up real good, and then go drive circles around my Redcat hating friends much lover BOM.
Much of what the GEN 8 have now, really was what i expected the 10.2 to have, and here i am not even thinking about portals.

Only bad i personally have to say about the GEN 8 from sitting here in my chair behind a PC screen is the per-painted body.

Last edited by Peaker; 03-10-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #3

Through the years Redcat has had some issues. Some can't cope with a company that is progressive. I see a ton of potential in the Gen 8, so myself just getting back into the hobby after a break, went with the Gen 8 over the TRX-4 just to have the under dog.
4Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #4

RTR electronics from every company are typically cheap and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. You can't really hold that against the Venture.

How did you break the axle? That's not common.

Redcat has years of making cheap and unreliable garbage. That history earned them the bad reputation. It's going to take a decade of high quality products to change that. It's a respect earned not given kinda thing. Sadly, I don't know if the Gen8 is going to change that much. I don't own one, but I follow the groups on Facebook and there's still a lot of low quality aspects - Velcro mounts, tire foams, and broken parts. I don't know that the issues are common, but they sure don't seem to be uncommon.

I think Redcat is 80% of the way there and if you're fine with that for 90% of the price compared to the competition then maybe it's an option. Unfortunately for Redcat the TRX-4 was released before the Gen8 and it's extremely solid out of the box and and competing model, the Sport, is only 13%/$40 more. If not for the TRX-4 I'd think the Gen8 would standout more.

With that being said, Axial has had its own quality issues that are quite common and it still has a good reputation. So maybe the Gen8 will change Redcat's reputation.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #5

I have a blue Gen 8. The only issue I found was that the springs on 2 of the shocks were out of their bottom caps. Simply compressed the spring and lined the cap up, good as new. I do notice the geometry on mine favors the passenger side a bit when the front end is articulating, but with a 3 link and panhard bar that's to be expected, the "lean" really isn't that noticeable unless you're hyper focused on it. Other than that I did notice the front shocks were a bit softer than the rear due to all the weight up front. Only thing I've done to mine is swapped out the velcro (drove me nuts!!) For some rare Earth magnets (so much easier) I may upgrade the servo, but not for a bit. The stock motor is strong and the stock esc is adequate (both stay pretty cool when crawling on 2s) the only gripe I really have is the velcro (already replaced) and the stock servo is a tad weak (better than most stock servos though, in my opinion) tires/foams definitely have a break in period so just be aware of that, but after break in they really aren't bad. I'm happy with the purchase and you really don't HAVE to put much money into this truck for it to be capable and fun. Of course there will be people that put $100's into it, but I bought it for the budget and the rest was all a surprising bonus. Redcat has come a long way, this rig really shows it.
miah13007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
RTR electronics from every company are typically cheap and will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. You can't really hold that against the Venture.

How did you break the axle? That's not common.

Redcat has years of making cheap and unreliable garbage. That history earned them the bad reputation. It's going to take a decade of high quality products to change that. It's a respect earned not given kinda thing. Sadly, I don't know if the Gen8 is going to change that much. I don't own one, but I follow the groups on Facebook and there's still a lot of low quality aspects - Velcro mounts, tire foams, and broken parts. I don't know that the issues are common, but they sure don't seem to be uncommon.

I think Redcat is 80% of the way there and if you're fine with that for 90% of the price compared to the competition then maybe it's an option. Unfortunately for Redcat the TRX-4 was released before the Gen8 and it's extremely solid out of the box and and competing model, the Sport, is only 13%/$40 more. If not for the TRX-4 I'd think the Gen8 would standout more.

With that being said, Axial has had its own quality issues that are quite common and it still has a good reputation. So maybe the Gen8 will change Redcat's reputation.
All rtr tires are garbage. The Gen 8 tires are good just terrible foams, they're bead locks so easy change and fine not in cold weather.

Redcat gives you numerous mounting options. They give spare velcro. Body posts and clips in an accessory bag and give you marked spots for magnets.

I'd also like to point out the Gen 8 chasis feels very strong and rigid. My hpi venture feels cheap compared to it.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Well... The Gen8 isn't bad, and actually does well, but I wouldn't say it's the best designed either. The whole front bumper/servo mounting is "questionable" and has poor steering geometry out of the box. There are a few tweaks you can do for free, or with minor cost to get rid of bump steer, but it's still not perfect, and won't be able to get any closer without modifying the servo/bumper mount. However, it'll do just fine after those minor tweaks.

Swapping out stock electronics definitely helps. And switching over to magnets from velcro is a must in my opinion (still waiting for my damn magnets).

I hated the way those stock tires look, and the foams I definitely was not a fan of. The huge body really does beg for bigger tires like the XL sized pro-lines or pitbull rock beast.

Anyway, to sum it up. I like it. There are things that bug me about it, but I still like it. However, I'll admit.... I like my BOM more, and that truck really does "perform". I don't have a good opinion vs. the Venture yet, as I've only given the Venture a simple run, and haven't really thrown the hill climb at it yet. The damn weather is preventing me from getting the inner fenders painted up and done and looking all nice before I go and scratch it up. The only reason I would think the HPI could feel cheap is because of the plastic links. With those upgraded it's as solid as any other truck.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:14 PM   #8

I guess honestly you're mainly paying for the chasis as everything will probably get upgraded in the end. Redcat has a pretty significant upgrade selection on their website for full aluminum / steel parts.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonmsh View Post
All rtr tires are garbage. The Gen 8 tires are good just terrible foams, they're bead locks so easy change and fine not in cold weather.

Redcat gives you numerous mounting options. They give spare velcro. Body posts and clips in an accessory bag and give you marked spots for magnets.

I'd also like to point out the Gen 8 chasis feels very strong and rigid. My hpi venture feels cheap compared to it.
Most RTR tires are garbage, but not all. The SCX10 II's were surprisingly capable as were the TRX-4 tires.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Most RTR tires are garbage, but not all. The SCX10 II's were surprisingly capable as were the TRX-4 tires.

I'd argue the Vaterra Ascender's Super Swampers are better than garbage as well.

Back to the Redcat, there seem to be a good handful of people giving them a try. Those who are not willing to, are typically put off by the company's reputation.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:46 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I bought one, never thought I would, my first go around with Redcat was about 10 years ago and it wasn't impressive. I think they give this rig a hell of a effort the Gen 8 I mean, but I think they could've refined it a bit more before they released it. The front end geometry works but it's not perfect and it's gonna take some home grown fixes to make it better at least to my liking anyways, to be honest for someone that's never had a scaler it's damn good but for those of us that have been around a while we want it a bit better. I personally like it but I will be making changes to it to make it more to my liking.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:19 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Redcat has years of making cheap and unreliable garbage. That history earned them the bad reputation..

That pretty much sums it up.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:28 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

ive been runing one redcat for 4 years and another for 3 years and there extremely solid but like homeboy sead there always just alittle off and always need tweeking i imagine the gen8 to be the same like the 1:1 scout ii there not perfict but still better than the compitition
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I think that people are being way too critical of the Gen 8. Seems likes most want it to fail because of their perception of Redcat. I think what it's doing is hurting some feelings of the brand loyalists among us. They have the perception that Redcat is supposed to be garbage. Well the Gen 8 is not garbage. It's a pretty damn good performing truck out of the box. Everybody keeps comparing it to the TRX4 because that's supposed to be the new benchmark I guess (ironic because Traxxas was just as hated as Redcat). I don't think Redcat was going after the TRX4, or any other truck for that matter. Seems to me like they've been listening to the scaler/crawler community & wanted to put out a good performing truck that people would buy. They've done that. Better plastics, better design, better layout, better looks & better performance than the Gen 7. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to put out a solid, capable truck that was affordable. They've done that.
I see many getting hung up on the suspension geometry. Modifying it right out of the box without seeing how it actually performs stock. Sure, it has some issues, but it works pretty well in the rocks where it was intended. It wasn't meant to be a high speed basher, it was meant to be a low speed crawler & it does that quite well. Most of these broken parts everyone is seeing on facebook are due to 3s brushless powered bashing in the snow, mud & dirt. Breakage on the rocks has been far less. All the other brands break too, but they all get a pass. Nobody scrutinizes them. I guess constantly getting $#!@ on is just part of the growing pains for Redcat. I've got six 3s packs through mine in the Arizona rocks & the velcro body mounts have been the only failure.
Do I think the TRX4 is a better truck? Without owning one, yes I do & I will be getting one (it's gotta be the Blazer. I love Blazers almost as much as I love Scouts!). I don't think it's miles ahead of the Gen 8 though. I think the Gen 8 is a close second to the TRX4 sport. Like it or not, Redcat is moving in the right direction & will keep improving. Wish I could say that about Axial & Vaterra. That's the real disappointment.
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
I think that people are being way too critical of the Gen 8. Seems likes most want it to fail because of their perception of Redcat. I think what it's doing is hurting some feelings of the brand loyalists among us. They have the perception that Redcat is supposed to be garbage. Well the Gen 8 is not garbage. It's a pretty damn good performing truck out of the box. Everybody keeps comparing it to the TRX4 because that's supposed to be the new benchmark I guess (ironic because Traxxas was just as hated as Redcat). I don't think Redcat was going after the TRX4, or any other truck for that matter. Seems to me like they've been listening to the scaler/crawler community & wanted to put out a good performing truck that people would buy. They've done that. Better plastics, better design, better layout, better looks & better performance than the Gen 7. I'm pretty sure they just wanted to put out a solid, capable truck that was affordable. They've done that.
I see many getting hung up on the suspension geometry. Modifying it right out of the box without seeing how it actually performs stock. Sure, it has some issues, but it works pretty well in the rocks where it was intended. It wasn't meant to be a high speed basher, it was meant to be a low speed crawler & it does that quite well. Most of these broken parts everyone is seeing on facebook are due to 3s brushless powered bashing in the snow, mud & dirt. Breakage on the rocks has been far less. All the other brands break too, but they all get a pass. Nobody scrutinizes them. I guess constantly getting $#!@ on is just part of the growing pains for Redcat. I've got six 3s packs through mine in the Arizona rocks & the velcro body mounts have been the only failure.
Do I think the TRX4 is a better truck? Without owning one, yes I do & I will be getting one (it's gotta be the Blazer. I love Blazers almost as much as I love Scouts!). I don't think it's miles ahead of the Gen 8 though. I think the Gen 8 is a close second to the TRX4 sport. Like it or not, Redcat is moving in the right direction & will keep improving. Wish I could say that about Axial & Vaterra. That's the real disappointment.
If Redcat didn't get the front geometry correct are people being too harsh on it? I mean that's something that should be right out of the box if you ask me.

And the Gen8 is compared to the TRX-4 because of portals as well as it being the new king of the crop.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I think it's fine to be critical (for any brand). Doesn't mean I don't like the truck or want it to fail. I actually do like it.

I would argue it's good to be critical especially since it seems like RedCat is listening! (dry portal gear issue anyone?) I applaud them for that. I wouldn't want to turn a blind eye and have them think everything is perfect.

The only things that I'm critical of are:

1. Steering setup
2. Velcro (Although I'll give them a pass here, because it is the most cost effective solution, and they did make concessions for adding magnets)
3. Drive shaft alignment being out of phase. I'm not sure if this is a QC issue or design issue, but it's annoying.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
Like it or not, Redcat is moving in the right direction & will keep improving. Wish I could say that about Axial & Vaterra. That's the real disappointment.

I'm really interested to see what is coming next from Axial and Vaterra.

The Redcat Gen8 is probably the most significant release since the TRX4 debuted.

Will Horizon Hobbies try to play in the $500 (USD) TRX4 space? If yes, they will inevitably be benchmarked against the TRX4. Or, will they play the "we're not as good, but we're cheaper" card like Redcat?
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #18

People seem to be very intolerant of the Gen8's flaws. If other manufacturers were producing flawless equivalents, I could understand that mentality, but it's far from reality. People buy an SCX10 II knowing that before it even hits the rocks they'll need a new servo, a BEC, new wheels & tires, new suspension & steering links, and new shocks. They accept this as normal and proudly proclaim how great the Axial is. Same people will buy a Gen8, go hammer it right out of the box and bitch that it's an unreliable POS.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
People seem to be very intolerant of the Gen8's flaws. If other manufacturers were producing flawless equivalents, I could understand that mentality, but it's far from reality. People buy an SCX10 II knowing that before it even hits the rocks they'll need a new servo, a BEC, new wheels & tires, new suspension & steering links, and new shocks. They accept this as normal and proudly proclaim how great the Axial is. Same people will buy a Gen8, go hammer it right out of the box and bitch that it's an unreliable POS.
I think every truck has gone through these pains though. There's always criticism when a new truck comes out. With the Axials, it's an older platform, so the flaws have already been pointed out, and the aftermarket has addressed them.

I think what we're seeing is that the Gen8 is still really new, and people are just pointing out where improvements can be made in hopes that RedCat or the aftermarket will address them.

Now if people are taking these flaws and just dismissing the Gen8 platform altogether, then I'd agree with you that the intolerance is unwarranted.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
It is odd how brands get different treatment and scales upon which they are measured. Besides electronics, the SCX10 II has other shortcomings that people just overlook. Same with RC4WD. I don't understand it.

The TF2 may fall apart on the trail and that's fine, but the Ascender sucks because it has some torque twist... Really!?

I do think people are going to be more critical of Redcat simply because of their bad history. They are in the stages where they have to prove themselves. The customer service seems to be stepping up so I think that's all you can ask at this point since the truck is a good base.

What's with all the gen 8 hate? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat gen 8 & gen 7 trailing wicked snow trail for a race shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-20-2019 07:05 AM
Redcat gen 8 scout & gen 7 sport ( epic snow trail adventure ) shenlonco Scale Videos! 0 02-08-2019 12:35 PM
xmod gen 1 motor in gen 2 car RootBreaker Micro Scale Rigs 1 08-18-2014 08:40 PM