Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORRCA Rules on Hold!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Keep the feedback coming guys.

I know it is hard, but please try to limit the back and forth banter, it makes it really hard for us to get to the information your trying to convey to us.

If there is something unsettling to you, feel free to post up, and a short description why. Were looking and discussing it daily.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #82
Oliver Custom Knives

Class 3 ? Come on guys it's an unlimited class. Let the cash flow. Allow front/rear dig AND 4WS with NO penalties.
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #83
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Personally, yes, I would also like the Class 1 tire coverage opened up a bit more. I'm trying to build a C1 rig, too, so I definitely understand the concerns you have.

I hear ya, but if we begin to allow bobbed beds in C1 (which is a fairly big body mod), then it could lead to bigger stuff. Ultimately, we didn't feel major body mods fit with the concept of C1 trucks (mildly built rigs you may frequently see on the street).

Ah, but not every scaler enthusiast is into "competition rigs" and they shouldn't be ignored. And keep in mind the rules don't give many points at all for "canoes", "camping gear", or other stuff like that. Most of the points in the new rules are awarded for items that affect performance.

Thanks,
Tommy
Tommy
I don't know if you wheel full size 1:1s or not but saying a bob'd bed is a major mod seams crazy...I wheel Rausch Creak off road park regularly (at least once a month) and I see plenty of trucks, toyotas espeically and commanches with bob'd beds nd they are driven to the park...not allowing bob beds would be like not allowing guys to trim the flares off the cherokee body...every person who wheels a real cherocar cuts the fenders and rolls the rears with a big hammer and some relief cuts.

E Type R had a dd ifs weekend warrior that even had a drop bed on 33s...

The track width rule is crazy...right now I can tell you if a guys wants to run a bruiser chassis with modded bruiser axles and a hilux body his only wheel choice will be stock car wheels...I see plenty of guys at RC with cherokees with dana 30s and a 8.8 running 3" spacer adapters for the rubi wheels and more then half the tire sticks out passed the fender.

At this point with the way the rules are my blue lux is illegal because of the track width and the bob'd bed which isn't even bob'd that much...and not that I am trying to tute my own horn here but I can guarantee you most would agree that my truck is not only very scale but also fits the "class 1" dd weekend warrior look....

I have stayed out of the scale rules because the truth is I don't compete...I made it to scale nats only one time...however that doest change the fact that I have been building scale trucks on this forum and other forums before rcc even existed and imo know scale pretty well...again not trying to be a hot shot just calling it like it is. If the rules stick as they are now and I did come out to a national scale event I wouldn't even compete...probably because all of my trucks are illegal at this point.

Scale has come a long way and I want it to continue to gow and continue to gain attention and respect from manufacturers but with the way the rules are now they are limiting to much...I know I'm not the only one who feels this way...

Just my 2 cents here , take it for what its worth...at the end of the day ill just keep buidling my scalers the way I have been.

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Very well put Mike, I agree with all your points.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser View Post

Tommy
I don't know if you wheel full size 1:1s or not but saying a bob'd bed is a major mod seams crazy...I wheel Rausch Creak off road park regularly (at least once a month) and I see plenty of trucks, toyotas espeically and commanches with bob'd beds nd they are driven to the park...not allowing bob beds would be like not allowing guys to trim the flares off the cherokee body...every person who wheels a real cherocar cuts the fenders and rolls the rears with a big hammer and some relief cuts.

The track width rule is crazy...right now I can tell you if a guys wants to run a bruiser chassis with modded bruiser axles and a hilux body his only wheel choice will be stock car wheels...I see plenty of guys at RC with cherokees with dana 30s and a 8.8 running 3" spacer adapters for the rubi wheels and more then half the tire sticks out passed the fender.

At this point with the way the rules are my blue lux is illegal because of the track width and the bob'd bed which isn't even bob'd that much...and not that I am trying to tute my own horn here but I can guarantee you most would agree that my truck is not only very scale but also fits the "class 1" dd weekend warrior look....

I have stayed out of the scale rules because the truth is I don't compete...I made it to scale nats only one time...however that doest change the fact that I have been building scale trucks on this forum and other forums before rcc even existed and imo know scale pretty well...again not trying to be a hot shot just calling it like it is. If the rules stick as they are now and I did come out to a national scale event I wouldn't even compete...probably because all of my trucks are illegal at this point.

Scale has come a long way and I want it to continue to gow and continue to gain attention and respect from manufacturers but with the way the rules are now they are limiting to much...I know I'm not the only one who feels this way...

Just my 2 cents here , take it for what its worth...at the end of the day ill just keep buidling my scalers the way I have been.

-Mike
thanks for chiming in Mike, a lot of this we are discussing now
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Tommy

Mike,

Thanks for your input...

FWIW, yes I wheel very often all over the southwest. But all I was trying to do was attempt to explain why the committee made this decision. We know everyone won't like all of our decisions, but we have an awful lot of people to consider. That's all I'm sayin'.

Tommy
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #87
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Mike,

Thanks for your input...

FWIW, yes I wheel very often all over the southwest. But all I was trying to do was attempt to explain why the committee made this decision. We know everyone won't like all of our decisions, but we have an awful lot of people to consider. That's all I'm sayin'.

Tommy
And I 100% repsect that answer. You guys don't have an easy task at hand with creating the rules and I know you will not satisfy everyone. I just hope so revisions are made for what I think will be for the better overall.

Imo I think a set of rules similar to the utards and scale4x4 would be best, I feel like I always hear positive feedback from their events and the majority of people have fun and are happy.

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Tommy

-Mike
On point Mike.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #89
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
On point Mike.
X2

Also... Before I say it yes they are ugly and they don't work but... I think Imex Red rocks should be legal.

For two good points
1.) They make cool sounds when they are spinning on rock.
2.) They are good in the snow and IMO look just as scale as the Pitbulls.

And there are similar things out there, granted they may be grooved quite a bit. 1:1 rigs do do it though.

TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Imo I think a set of rules similar to the utards and scale4x4 would be best, I feel like I always hear positive feedback from their events and the majority of people have fun and are happy.

-Mike

x2
keep it fun...
and you'll have to beat people away!
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

-Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiredunlmtd View Post
x2
keep it fun...
and you'll have to beat people away!
x3

Rule number 1.0 should be "HAVE FUN"
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Just wanted to point out that Mike made a very good point when he said "Scale has come a long way and I want it to continue to grow and continue to gain attention and respect from manufacturers but with the way the rules are now they are limiting too much...I know I'm not the only one who feels this way..."

If you continue to limit manufactures and builders the way the rules are set now (and I know your working on it ) you'll only discourage people. As I and many others have stated, the bobbed bed rule needs to go away, and also as we discussed the 1/4" tire rule is not realistic IMO.

I do appreciate everything you guys are doing and am not trying to beat anyone up, I also know you can't please everyone, but to have a class that one of our biggest manufacturers can't easily compete in due to axle width and the 1/4" rule is just shooting yourself in the foot, again IMO.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
I do appreciate everything you guys are doing and am not trying to beat anyone up, I also know you can't please everyone, but to have a class that one of our biggest manufacturers can't easily compete in due to axle width and the 1/4" rule is just shooting yourself in the foot, again IMO.
That has probably been the biggest complaint of class 1.

It's too hard to really compare it to any single state's tire coverage laws. I live in West Virginia about 7 minutes from Ohio. We (and Pennsylvania) are required to have full tire coverage...no tread at all exposed. However, Ohio can run Jeeps with the fenders trimmed right to the hood and no rear flares, full width on 42's without even a 2nd look from the Police.

The 1/4" was a comprimise between the extreme ends, and probably went to far.

Just curious, but how does everybody feel about requiring 1/2 the tread to be covered? Do you think that would be enough to retain the feel of the class, yet not making it so exclusive that it stifles builders?
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

I think 1/2 the tread covered is a good idea for class 1. I have a leave sprung class 1 rig with a Clod body on it. It is very scale and running Axial axels I can barely get 1/2 the tread covered.

Im really glad you guys are re working this I pretty much gave up on class 1 and there is no way my leafer will be competetive in class 2.

This gives me hope that I will be able to compete with my leafer.
cave-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #95
Web Wheeling

Half tread sounds a lot better, but you need to take a stock honcho and slap a few common scaler bodys on it and see how much the tires stick out. The proline bodys, Tamiya Hilux, Axial bodys.

The axial axles are the most widely used axle now, and many of the axles from RC4WD are the same width. Its hard to build a narrow track rig without giving up major strength or ease of finding replacement parts. Not many are using TLT axles anymore, and aftermarket parts are getting hard to find.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave-man View Post
I think 1/2 the tread covered is a good idea for class 1. I have a leave sprung class 1 rig with a Clod body on it. It is very scale and running Axial axels I can barely get 1/2 the tread covered.

Im really glad you guys are re working this I pretty much gave up on class 1 and there is no way my leafer will be competetive in class 2.

This gives me hope that I will be able to compete with my leafer.
No guarantees as I'm only one member, but we are working on it.

Our intention for class 1 was to have a place for the majority of the really cool builds that are either a bit outdated for class 2 or just too small. The CC-01's, the Hi-lifts, the really cool clod and hi-lux builds...not to mention all of the other really cool, mildly capable, but really cool scale builds that are out there. I don't think Class 1 will take off overnight, but I think once it does, that's where we will see some of the coolest looking builds.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Half tread sounds a lot better, but you need to take a stock honcho and slap a few common scaler bodys on it and see how much the tires stick out. The proline bodys, Tamiya Hilux, Axial bodys.

The axial axles are the most widely used axle now, and many of the axles from RC4WD are the same width. Its hard to build a narrow track rig without giving up major strength or ease of finding replacement parts. Not many are using TLT axles anymore, and aftermarket parts are getting hard to find.
I have several bodies that with a narrow offset wheel, will work just fine with axial axles.

The intention of the class was never to just let anybody with a honcho compete. The Honcho will be one of the more competitive platforms in class 2. This is a place that it might take a little bit of work in order to get in, but that's simply so that every other option isn't outclassed right off the bat by a Honcho with a narrow offset.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
I have several bodies that with a narrow offset wheel, will work just fine with axial axles.
Ok Mr., Lets see some pics!
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #99
I wanna be Dave

I think allowing half tread and bobbed beds would really open up the class 1 realm to a lot of great scale builds out there and still keep the class looking like the street-able daily driver / weekend warrior class.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
No guarantees as I'm only one member, but we are working on it.

Our intention for class 1 was to have a place for the majority of the really cool builds that are either a bit outdated for class 2 or just too small. The CC-01's, the Hi-lifts, the really cool clod and hi-lux builds...not to mention all of the other really cool, mildly capable, but really cool scale builds that are out there. I don't think Class 1 will take off overnight, but I think once it does, that's where we will see some of the coolest looking builds.
I feel my rig fits the class 1 designation to a T, except it's illegal do to the bed. It wouldn't be competitive in Class 2 whatsoever.....

At this point, when (not if Justin) I compete with it, the judges can put me in whatever class they see fit.....I'd just like to run with others again and have fun, I'll just throw my scoresheet away afterwords.

HotRodJosh is offline   Reply With Quote