Thread: 2013 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #781
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2013 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
On the spare tyre rule topic:
Use smaller tyres on the truck so you can have the smaller spare.

On to my question which has probably been answered somewhere but I couldn't find it.

If running a Class 1 vehicle against Class 2 vehicles on the same course. What would be a reasonable point advantage to the Class 1 vehicle to make it an even race?

Reason for asking is that we are thinking about starting to use these rules in Finland and are a bit worried that we don't have enough drivers for all classes. Our two current scale classes are very close to Class 2 and 3. As a way of getting more stock looking vehicles we have been rewarding the use of small tyres and penalizing larger ones 1 point / 2 mm with 100 mm being the divider (for ease of calculation).

Of course we could just drop Class 1 because you could just put bigger tyres on your Class 1.
I suppose you could run Class 1 trucks on Class 2 courses but that can get frustrating. What we have done is let people run their C2 rigs in C1 with smaller tires (under 4.2") just to get more people into the class. I like to make C1 courses considerably easier than C2 to make it more fun. Our scale comps have exploded over here in Oregon the last few months. Part of that is people discovering class 1. We had 10 class 1, 20 class 2, and 7 class 3 rigs last weekend. Made for a perfect and FUN day.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2013, 11:22 AM   #782
Quarry Creeper

Hello, it's me again.

Can you run a Mad Max (or zombie apocalypse) styled vehicle in class 1? Windshield replaced with chicken wire or some such thing. Body panels missing and such. Or is it the "heavily modified" that pushes it into class 2?

Is this a typo or is a class 2 vehicle required to have a longer chassis than class 1?

Class 1
Quote:
Vehicle must run a full length rail chassis (The rail chassis must be as long as the vehicles wheelbase)
Class 2
Quote:
You must run a full rail chassis, and the chassis (including bumpers) must be 3" longer than the wheelbase
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #783
I wanna be Dave

You have to look at the overall rules.
Class1 has restrictions on where your wheels must be, that will affect your over all chassis length.
Class2 does not have that so to keep the rigs within spec there is the chassis length rule.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #784
I wanna be Dave

Also bumpers are required in C1 and that will also effect the overall length and approuch/departure angles. The chassis length is arbitrary at that point.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #785
Rock Crawler

Ok I bought carbon fiber stock body panels for my wraith does this count as hard body? Since they are not lexan?
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #786
Rock Crawler

Anybody able to answer this??
hatefulboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #787
Pebble Pounder

it would still count as rigid body panels on a tuber.
spacecase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #788
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=badhoopty;4419176]i may be wrong, but ive always understood the rule to be functional points were given to items on the truck could aid in its running of a course. like tow straps, sand ladders, winch hooks, d-rings, pullpals, stuff like that.

while were on the topic of toolboxes, do scale items inside the toolbox count? i imagine so, but i want to make sure.
QUOTE]

Did this get answered and I totally missed it? (its entirely possible) I ask because I had the notion of putting my scale items in the cargo area of an SUV, I was wondering if that would also count.
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #789
I wanna be Dave

Doesnt really matter where the scale parts are at - So long as you havent hidden them in an air tight, double locked, and liquid taped box....
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #790
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Doesnt really matter where the scale parts are at - So long as you havent hidden them in an air tight, double locked, and liquid taped box....

I appreciate the response I assumed this was the case but you know what they say when you assume......
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #791
Quarry Creeper

What are included in the functional scale items:

Quote:
Functional items (max -8 pts for all items listed below):
• Tow strap, -D-ring, Pull Pal, sand ladder, hitch, opening doors and hood, spare tire mount, etc. -1 each
• Headlights(2) and taillights(2) -2
• Winch -2 front, -2 rear (max -4)
• Full size spare tire. -3
Are headlights, winches and the spare tyre included in the max -8? Or are they calculated separately? How the rules are edited would suggest they are included in the -8 total.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #792
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
What are included in the functional scale items:

Are headlights, winches and the spare tyre included in the max -8? Or are they calculated separately? How the rules are edited would suggest they are included in the -8 total.
"Functional items (max -8 pts for all items listed below):"

Yes they are included in the total, not separate line items.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #793
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #794
RCC Addict

Hey guys,

I was just wondering before I build this piece. Is a Class 2 rear cage OK if you have to either squeeze the spare tire to get it in, or............put the spare tire in place when the body is off?

Thanks for any help with this.
David
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #795
Gettin’ back on the horse

I suppose so. Keep in mind to get the scale points for the spare it needs to be functional and within .25" of the tires you are running on the vehicle. You can put the spare anywhere on the vehicle you want as far as the rules go... But scale is the objective.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #796
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I suppose so. Keep in mind to get the scale points for the spare it needs to be functional and within .25" of the tires you are running on the vehicle. You can put the spare anywhere on the vehicle you want as far as the rules go... But scale is the objective.

Thanks! On the cage in question the smaller to medium size Class 2 tires will fit with only a very slight squeeze. It's the largest of the class that a little force is needed, or they need to go in before the body is attached. Considering the size of the larger tires are not so scale anyway I think it all works out. With the cages we are somewhat limited by the width between the frame rails on some designs.

Again thanks,
David

Last edited by insanerc; 12-28-2013 at 11:02 PM.
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 AM   #797

So after completeing a year if comps I feel the 4 wheel steer should be modified I feel 5 points isn't enough of a deduction. It is such a huge advantage and for people to go to four wheel steer is such a cost. I would like to see some consideration for this I am not saying get rid of it just make it a little fairer for non 4ws you take out a motif reverses and possible gate with 4ws compared to a 2ws truck.
jmayer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #798
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I have a question about this:
"Did not finish (or point out): point out or high score on course +20 points
Did not start: Point out or high score on course +50 points"

So, a DNS can give you a potential of +90 points?
how ?? if you did not start DNS, how can you point out ?? ....should just be +50 ....
bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #799
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
how ?? if you did not start DNS, how can you point out ?? ....should just be +50 ....
You get plus 50 on top of the worse score of they day (or point out if in effect, not all scale comps have a point out.). If it wasn't done that way a DNS could beat a driver that completed the coarse.... that would suck
Old 12-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #800
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayer54 View Post
So after completeing a year if comps I feel the 4 wheel steer should be modified I feel 5 points isn't enough of a deduction. It is such a huge advantage and for people to go to four wheel steer is such a cost. I would like to see some consideration for this I am not saying get rid of it just make it a little fairer for non 4ws you take out a motif reverses and possible gate with 4ws compared to a 2ws truck.
I get consistently beat by someone in our club that doesn't have rear steer (but I do). If it's such an advantage, why not put it on your truck? I do appreciate your input. If it makes you feel any better, in our discussions for the 2014 revisions, I wanted to remove the penalty altogether and that was voted down. It was decided that 5 points was a reasonable penalty. You also must consider that with rear steer there are more moving parts to fail and that was taken into consideration. You should try rear steer, there's a bit of a learning curve but it's really fun to use once you get the hang of it.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

2013 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
koh rules 2013 discussion thread thomass14 North Dakota 19 07-28-2016 06:24 PM
2013 SORRCA Scale rules War Pig Scale Comp Rules 19 02-11-2014 03:38 PM