Notices

Thread: 2013 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #701
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: 2013 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by arny View Post
Hello, for a class 2 rig with half rails anda the rest all tube, is considered truggy or tuber?

And the body?

Hard body cab points and custom cab points or only rigid panels
Truggy and yes, Hard body and custom, assuming the panels are not lexan.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #702
Rock Crawler

Really? IMO it would be panel points only..
They are bolted on individually not to much custom body building

Last edited by 801RYAN; 09-09-2013 at 07:53 PM.
801RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #703

Quote:
Originally Posted by 801RYAN View Post
Really? IMO it would be panel points only..
They are bolted on individually not to much custom body building
What are panel points? So your saying custom panels are different from a body? Don't panels dictate the shape of the rig like a body? Don't they also cover the internal structure of the vehicle like a body? To me there is no difference.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #704
Quarry Creeper

They are panels not a hardbody or custom hard body they don't even have a body line formed in them the are FLAT BODY PANELS NOT A CUSTOM HARD BODY.

Last edited by klaygrover; 09-09-2013 at 08:37 PM.
klaygrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #705
Rock Crawler

Tuber: metal -8, plastic -4
A tuber consists of a complete body structure where the front, cab, and rear sections are comprised entirely of structural tubework.
Tube bed, roll bar, internal cage, and shock mounts points not available in addition to tuber points.
• Rigid metal/plastic body panels -1

Now I. Understand it's classified as a truggy but to get 12 points for that little of work seems lame... IMO a custom hard body would have way more detail than a few bolted on panels , like door handles window frames and the like ...not hating on the build but it's just some bolt on plastic
Old 09-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #706

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaygrover View Post
They are panels not a hardbody or custom hard body they don't even have a body line formed in them the are FLAT BODY PANELS NOT A CUSTOM HARD BODY.

I fail to see your argument. How do you define a custom body? So if he glued all the panels together and attached them in the exact same configuration it would be a hard body?

Show me in the rules where it says making custom panels and attaching them to your rig is not a custom body. If I am wrong please let me know, but do it within the rules not your own personal opinion.

Quote:
Tuber: metal -8, plastic -4
A tuber consists of a complete body structure where the front, cab, and rear sections are comprised entirely of structural tubework.
Tube bed, roll bar, internal cage, and shock mounts points not available in addition to tuber points.
• Rigid metal/plastic body panels -1

Now I. Understand it's classified as a truggy but to get 12 points for that little of work seems lame... IMO a custom hard body would have way more detail than a few bolted on panels , like door handles window frames and the like ...not hating on the build but it's just some bolt on plastic

What 12 points? He would get 6 for cab only custom body. And here lies the problem the statement "In your opinion". Rules can not be built on personal opinions of every single rig built. To keep the length of the rules under a couple hundred pages (as every wanted) very specific guidelines had to be left out. But again the supporting tube work, which he receives zero points for in most cases are rewarded by the panels that support them.

With your example it seems you are saying that Warpig's old EB would not receive body or custom body panels.

And that statement I disagree with.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #707
Rock Crawler

Replying from my phone so quotes are tuff.for me.....

Yes if he glued, filled, sanded and painted a one piece body there would be a better argument for full custom hard body..

Show me where bolt on panels qualify! with the rules.

I did screw up I was thinking full custom and full hard body for a total of 12

Do you not see the window frame and body lines 3d hood on the EB? The 2 body are not similar in any way...that's a stretch!

maybe some others will comment to help with this debate..
Old 09-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #708

Quote:
Replying from my phone so quotes are tuff.for me.....
No worries.

Quote:
Yes if he glued, filled, sanded and painted a one piece body there would be a better argument for full custom hard body..
There lies the issue. The panels are attached to tube work underneath. Except the half doors which are brazed on. Quarter panels, doors, hood are all seperate pieces, panels if you will.

Just an example I thought of. So if said person heated a piece of styrene over a mold and fit it to a shape he could not get custom body points? This said person didn't have to sand, fill or glue anything...

Why does the body have to be one piece? Real cars, trucks, etc, the bodies are not one piece.

Quote:
Show me where bolt on panels qualify! with the rules.
Show me where they are listed separately from anything else in the rules and I would be glad to look.

Quote:
Do you not see the window frame and body lines 3d hood on the EB? The 2 body are not similar in any way...that's a stretch!
So where in the rules does it define having a groove in the side of the body panel constitute one body receiving points over one that doesn't?

If that was the case, why could he not just add a piece of half round styrene to the door and achieve the same panel points if dimension/detail is the hang up in this situation? Even then the door panel is "flat", but the panel behind is at a different angle and the hood has the bends in the sides. Sounds like dimension to me.

So if the EB didn't have a window frame the body would not count? Again if the EB didn't have a cowl it wouldn't count? The bodies are similar if your willing to look at the elements and not the design.

Is the hang up also on the method of attachment? Would it be better if the body panels were just glued to the tube work? To me it is much more difficult and build worthy to spend the time brazing nuts to a chassis then just smearing glue on the back.

I can pull more examples if you like.

How about the Metal Masher Yota?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #709
Rock Crawler

You keep wanting to compare bodies that take a ton of time and skill to build against some panels I don't see the comparison at all. I'm totally missing your point here and for that I apologize... To the OP the rig and chassis are sick and I hope I didnt offend you in any way
Old 09-09-2013, 11:42 PM   #710

Quote:
You keep wanting to compare bodies that take a ton of time and skill to build against some panels I don't see the comparison at all. I'm totally missing your point here and for that I apologize... To the OP the rig and chassis are sick and I hope I didnt offend you in any way
All my point is the rules do not say that because you do a great job adding tons of detail to a body it gets anymore scale points then something else. The big picture is it doesn't matter, scale isn't about building to the rules it is about building what you like. This is one reason why the rules will never be cut and dry with many of the lines blurred. So he gets points for a "body" that "lacks" detail, if thats not your cup of tea don't build that. The subjective nature of scale is what makes it such a great area of RC crawling. We are not stuck with bug bodies and carbon fiber "things" we got anything our imaginations can come up with.

Hope know one takes this all too seriously, its just toy trucks and even more, a few scale points which don't mean all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Keep on playin' toy trucks.

-Ty
Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #711
Rock Stacker

Thank you all
arny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaygrover View Post
i dig the rig in question but i wouldnt give it custom hardbody points.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #713
Scale Detail Engineering

me neither, panels are not a custom built body.
What Dready and Metal Masher build, those are custom bodies.

johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #714
SuperShafty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I'm sure you guys will be ready for me next year! I never told you directly, but I loved your Deuce. Sweet, hand built, well used rigs are the best. You need to do rear steer and run it in Class 3 next year.
Ill be a little more ready.

And thanks for the compliment man. I actually started rebuilding it already to have rear steal and better geometry up front. Should be ready for a local TTC next month.
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #715
SuperShafty.com

I'll play.

What about my deuce body panels??? Yes it's more of deuce inspired. But it has a full tube body and custom shaped panels that are bolted on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
me neither, panels are not a custom built body.
What Dready and Metal Masher build, those are custom bodies.

mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #716
Rock Crawler

I am totally ready for the flaming this is going to get me but here goes....

What does "real" mean? Do I have to prove the existance of a 1:1 like my rig? Or does it just need to look like something you could get in and drive? For example; I built this -

14exped by sgtbforza, on Flickr

14exped1 by sgtbforza, on Flickr

Thats only an artists rendering, who knows if the 14 is even gonna look like that - I loved it and so I made it.....Can I comp it?
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #717
I wanna be Dave

" Description - A street legal off-road vehicle that you would drive to work or the trail head and outfit like an expedition drive to work or the trail head and outfit like an expedition vehicle such as the Camel Trophy truck D90 rigs. vehicle such as the Camel Trophy truck D90 rigs."

That's for c1. The key word is would.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #718
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
" Description - A street legal off-road vehicle that you would drive to work or the trail head and outfit like an expedition drive to work or the trail head and outfit like an expedition vehicle such as the Camel Trophy truck D90 rigs. vehicle such as the Camel Trophy truck D90 rigs."

That's for c1. The key word is would.

I read that as "yeah I could see something like that driving down the road", or am I off base here?

edit - What im getting at is there are a lot of killer C1 rigs ive seen on here that are normal vehicles with extra doors or things that maybe havent been done often in the 1:1 world but still look amazing (Hoosierdaddy`s killer Vucks come to mind) is this really any different? Is it legal if I call it a custom F150 instead of an Expedition concept?

Last edited by sgtbham; 09-12-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #719
I wanna be Dave

It doesn't matter if it's an existing truck or whatever, as long as it's cool, looks pretty scale and meets the Class 1 specifications. The great thing about this hobby is that you can let your imagination run wild.....
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #720
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
It doesn't matter if it's an existing truck or whatever, as long as it's cool, looks pretty scale and meets the Class 1 specifications. The great thing about this hobby is that you can let your imagination run wild.....

Thats what I was hoping for! Thank you sir!

2013 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
koh rules 2013 discussion thread thomass14 North Dakota 19 07-28-2016 06:24 PM
2013 SORRCA Scale rules War Pig Scale Comp Rules 19 02-11-2014 03:38 PM