Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
You still uploading to Thingiverse?
Yeah when I feel like I'm done working on a part I'll upload it. Though I usually wait a while tell its tested. What are you after, the Front bumper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Have you thought about uploading the front bumper for others to purchase? I don't know anything about how Shapeways operates, but you'd probably make more than enough to cover the 'single piece' cost. I know I'd be interested. I've got a KB LC70, although I'll be installing it onto the TF2 chassis (which I should start building soon, alongside building my TK).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Somebody turned me on to Jawstec and they can do one for $24 before tax and shipping.

What I could do is upload it to Thingiverse and you can download it and take it to Jawstec or somewhere else. Though if its going in a TF2 I wouldn't recommend it, its just not likely to fit the chassis rails and mount points.

RC4WD makes the bumper for your application that I was inspired by
https://store.rc4wd.com/Trifecta-Fro...ck_p_5597.html
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2019, 07:05 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Yeah when I feel like I'm done working on a part I'll upload it. Though I usually wait a while tell its tested. What are you after, the Front bumper?

Somebody turned me on to Jawstec and they can do one for $24 before tax and shipping.

What I could do is upload it to Thingiverse and you can download it and take it to Jawstec or somewhere else. Though if its going in a TF2 I wouldn't recommend it, its just not likely to fit the chassis rails and mount points.

RC4WD makes the bumper for your application that I was inspired by
https://store.rc4wd.com/Trifecta-Fro...ck_p_5597.html
Haven't seen that one before...thank you. Although, at $118 (on "sale"), ouch.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 12-08-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #63

Quote:
I’d love the radiator myself.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I’d love the radiator myself.

The last thing I wanted to fine tune was some way to mount it. I was thinking maybe just a few dabs of glue might be ok.
Would you be okay with that?
Old 12-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #65

Quote:
The last thing I wanted to fine tune was some way to mount it. I was thinking maybe just a few dabs of glue might be ok.
Would you be okay with that?
I would not use glue on the chassis. At least use E6000 or Shoe Goo which is as good as glue, but easily removable.

Personally, I'd prefer a hard mount. I have some ideas. Either use the center bumper mount hole or maybe a clamshell design. If you share your file I'll see what I can come up with.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I was thinking E6000 and gluing to the servo mount/crossmember.

I did a quick redesign changing the upper hose outlet so It points to the water pump.

I also added some mounting tabs, I remember now why I didn't want to do this originally. I can see these will make the print a bit more challenging as it needs support everywhere.

I'm printing it up right now so I can test fit it.

One thing thats likely different for every servo is where its wires come out, right now its designed to come out the driver side in the middle of the servo.

Let me know if you still want the STL.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Okay I've got the servo cover polished up enough to upload: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4077303

I made up a coolant overflow to go on the side of the shroud. I didn't plan any means for mounting it so I'll just be gluing it in place. I didn't have any green coolant (only blue) so I used some simple green instead. Its my first time trying out the clear filament and I'm pleased with the results, its not clear like glass but I didn't want that here or even expect it.

There is a hole for the servo wire to come out on the driver side (US) of the cover but not all servos place this wire in the same location so you may need to drill your own hole or modify it to suit your particular servo.

This likely looks best when paired with the 25mm engine spacer from SSD, otherwise it may be a bit high with the engine in the stock and 13mm location.

I used an 18 awg wire as the overflow pipe stripping the ends so I could slide the wire portion into the radiator cap and overflow lid (and glue them).
I used a vacuum hose from a car as the upper rad hose (4mm ID 7.75 OD).

I also figured out a way to get some droop in the back without using internal springs, I just angled the shocks forward as far as I could. Lucky for me I haven't use the body posts on the shock towers so I can move them anywhere without messing up the body mount (which is still something i need to do in the rear). Doing this basically softens the effective spring rates and provides some droop to better match the front

I also swapped over the set of LURC Wheels and TSL's that were meant for another build but didnt work out. these 4.5" tires look an awful lot closer to 4.19". When compared to an old set of TSL's the old set seems like it gotten stretched out over the years its wider and taller than this new set.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-31-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:41 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Nice job Casey, your design skills improve with every project you do!!! Keep up the good work.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Nice job Casey, your design skills improve with every project you do!!! Keep up the good work.
Ernie

Thanks Ernie!

I got the radiator all weathered and installed, I'm pretty happy with the results. I used some real rust and a white wash, I really like the way a white wash makes for a dusty look.

I also glued up the bed caps and the tailgate.

I decided to cut off the headache rack because I didn't like how it stuck up above the cab.

Did a little bondo work (styrene slurry) to clean up where I cut the headache rack off.
Before

after

I have a frame to support the tonneau cover in the works, first print was off a bit (too tall) and I buggered up one of the mounts so another is printing right now. I'll be using a thin (.5mm) piece of styrene for the cover itself.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

I got the tonneau cover cut and mocked up...not really liking it to be honest

I might draw up a camper shell to see how I like it.

My brother suggested stretching leather over the bed using the tie downs. I think that would look nice but I'd need to make the tie downs a visual touch only because I think they would break fairly easily if I put tension on them. I'll need to think about how I'd actually pull that off.

I'm open to any feedback on the cover/bed.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Looks awesome man!

For the tonneau cover, you could use a piece of lexan or styrene as a support and then cover it with textured vinyl like the stuff below.

Textured Vinyl

EDIT - Making one that covers the bed rails would look good. Hinged only the front, so it could be raised. Like some of the hard covers that are out there. If you made it hinge, your support frame would be glued to the bottom side of the tonneau cover.

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 01-04-2020 at 09:59 PM.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Looks awesome man!

For the tonneau cover, you could use a piece of lexan or styrene as a support and then cover it with textured vinyl like the stuff below.

Textured Vinyl

EDIT - Making one that covers the bed rails would look good. Hinged only the front, so it could be raised. Like some of the hard covers that are out there. If you made it hinge, your support frame would be glued to the bottom side of the tonneau cover.

Thats a good idea thanks.

I decided to print up a canopy/camper shell, the print will take 39 hours . So Monday after work I'll have something to look at.

I'm gonna take my time to take in how it looks before I dig in and sand for hours.

What I end up doing more often than not with new prints is spend a good amount of time cleaning them up and making them nice, then I'll test fit it and realize I need to make changes . I need to stop doing that!

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-05-2020 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Okay the indecision continues... with the canopy on I'm still not feeling it

I think the last idea I haven't pursued is to print up a cover (for the shock towers) thats just a random pile of junk.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #74
RCC Addict

I'm not feeling it either.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Casey, before you round file it, can you cut some windows in it?
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Maybe if you give it a little love, it'll turn out the way you want it to. You've got the skills to do that.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:05 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the honest opinion maX-D

Ernie you know I was just thinking about windows while I was in the grocery store parking lot looking at some canopies. I though having no windows would fit in better but maybe not.

Heres a quick mock up with the windows penciled in

I think I prefer this shape better so far

I think I'll play around with the canopy a bit more before I totally give up on it. I think a slanted back could also help a little bit (rather than being straigh up 90 degrees).
Old 01-06-2020, 11:16 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

What about rigging up something like this?

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 PM   #79
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
What about rigging up something like this?

I was going to make a similar suggestion. CChand has a cchand priced version of this that looks nice. But if you could come up with the cover I’m sure with your skills you can design the inner frame.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:17 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Just wanted to say, an incredible build so far - keep up the good work!

Certainly looks to be an interesting chassis by SSD and very good steering figures, with an overdrive that could turn awful quick.
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Trail King Picture Archive - NO TALKING 1BadJeepBruiser SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 38 08-14-2023 09:45 AM
My Take on the SSD Trail King neilus SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 48 03-24-2020 03:09 PM
SSD Trail King Toothless9 General Crawlers 2 09-03-2019 05:57 PM