Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King

The cool details just keep on comin'...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #42
Gold Star Baby!

Love the radiator cover, excellent idea.

Great build!
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:56 AM   #43
SSD
RCC Addict

You really are putting a lot of work in to this, well done.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Between SSD, HumboldtEF, and CODYBOY... there's a lot to like goin' on with this chassis and possible modifications!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
The cool details just keep on comin'...
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Love the radiator cover, excellent idea.

Great build!
I cant take credit for the idea I've seen it elsewhere, but it is a great way to hide a servo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
You really are putting a lot of work in to this, well done.
Thanks! As much as I want it done and to go drive it I just know if I skip these details and tell myself I'll do it later I probably wont do it the same if at all. It just harder to mod a completed rig, well scale mods that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Between SSD, HumboldtEF, and CODYBOY... there's a lot to like goin' on with this chassis and possible modifications!
Yeah Its almost too bad theres so many other good rigs to choose from right now otherwise I'd think there would be more Trail King builds.

I'm curious to hear folks thoughts on the exhaust crossing over at the bellhousing, I know its odd but how odd is it? anyone seen this in a 1:1?

I'd also like to hear some feedback on the radiator/fan shroud thats covering the servo. Should I size up the rad and shrink the shroud? Does it look out of place or could this fly in a pick up (having the huge fan shroud)?

I considered putting a little AC radiator in front of the radiator so I could shrink the fan shroud a bit.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thank you sir!

I cant take credit for the idea I've seen it elsewhere, but it is a great way to hide a servo.

Thanks! As much as I want it done and to go drive it I just know if I skip these details and tell myself I'll do it later I probably wont do it the same if at all. It just harder to mod a completed rig, well scale mods that is.

Yeah Its almost too bad theres so many other good rigs to choose from right now otherwise I'd think there would be more Trail King builds.

I'm curious to hear folks thoughts on the exhaust crossing over at the bellhousing, I know its odd but how odd is it? anyone seen this in a 1:1?

I'd also like to hear some feedback on the radiator/fan shroud thats covering the servo. Should I size up the rad and shrink the shroud? Does it look out of place or could this fly in a pick up (having the huge fan shroud)?

I considered putting a little AC radiator in front of the radiator so I could shrink the fan shroud a bit.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 11-12-2019 at 09:56 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:59 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

When i saw the first pic of that steering servo i was like " he so need to put a radiator in there to cover that"
And so you did, and more elaborate than what first popped into my mind, cuz my idea would not have covered the whole servo like that.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:42 AM   #48
SSD
RCC Addict

I like the servo cover. Someone should release one (not me).
I dont like the exhaust arrangment. I think you should rework and go underneath somehow and maybe have tail pipes at the rear.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 AM   #49
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You won't see this on a 1:1 due to heat in the cab, as well as the space it takes from the passenger footwell. Granted, my 1:1 has a down pipe that runs down the firewall from the turbo next to the trans, but not over.
Maybe oval tube under the bell housing?

Seriously, this build is awesome. I'm planning this chassis for my 1:1 replica of my F-350. It'll be my first hard body build.

Last edited by Screwfly; 11-13-2019 at 10:10 AM.
Screwfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Awesome, Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'll take a closer look at the exhaust to see if I can do something a bit more realistic. Maybe I can route closer to the oil pan than the transfer case, theres very little space near the transfer case.

I'll put the servo cover up on Thingiverse eventually, I just want to make sure its the final version. I'll probably wait till I have all the under hood parts done as I dont want to be one of those guys uploading unpolished or incomplete models on Thingiverse (theres a lot of that unfortunately).

Ernie I remember seeing your zip tie radiators and I had planned to do this a long time ago. I'm finally trying it out though and it really looks the part.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I'll take a closer look at the exhaust to see if I can do something a bit more realistic. Maybe I can route closer to the oil pan than the transfer case, theres very little space near the transfer case.

I'll put the servo cover up on Thingiverse eventually, I just want to make sure its the final version. I'll probably wait till I have all the under hood parts done as I dont want to be one of those guys uploading unpolished or incomplete models on Thingiverse (theres a lot of that unfortunately).

Ernie I remember seeing your zip tie radiators and I had planned to do this a long time ago. I'm finally trying it out though and it really looks the part.
Very nice job on the servo cover/radiator cover!! I remember you commenting back then that you need to try it. And I'm like you on a build, anything I try I share with all my RC buddies on here!! Good job young man!

And it would be best to send the parts to Hanna, The brothers go crazy opening packages, especially after a couple case of beer!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #52
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:

That’s great you’re putting it on thingverse eventually, I’ll be on the look out for it. One of the best uses of a 3D printed part I’ve seen so far.

Great work on the headers too.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Very nice job on the servo cover/radiator cover!! I remember you commenting back then that you need to try it. And I'm like you on a build, anything I try I share with all my RC buddies on here!! Good job young man!

And it would be best to send the parts to Hanna, The brothers go crazy opening packages, especially after a couple case of beer!
Ernie

Thanks for the kind words as always!

I think I will be sending you... I mean Hanna a care package soon-ish I just want to get a few other items fully fleshed out first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
That’s great you’re putting it on thingverse eventually, I’ll be on the look out for it. One of the best uses of a 3D printed part I’ve seen so far.

Great work on the headers too.

My pleasure! I was really pleased when I first got a 3D printer to be able to find designs I actually wanted to print before learning the design end of things. So I just want to give back and continue the cycle.
I'll probably make a new thread in the Trail King section once I start posting these STL's.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-13-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #54

Awesome work!
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:16 PM   #55
RCC Addict

This is truly inspiring!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

I'm still trying to figure out how to route the exhaust but in the mean time I shifted to working on a front bumper.
Originally the plan was just to model something similar to this bumper https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/vvv-c0396.htm
just to see If i wanted to buy and modify it to fit.

But I ended up liking what I came up with enough to keep fine tuning the design.

Oldest on top newest on bottom

I again inserted some Axial light buckets to fill some of the space on the bumper. I used this light bucket set https://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDeta...80045&CartID=3

Its got the Mazda Miata face going on lol

I always wanted to have one of my bumpers printed by Shapeways using their SLS nylon which is very tough. Well I uploaded the design and they want $180 for 1
Its only $30 more to print it in metal! Oh well I guess I'll stick with PETG.

Heres the final version I'm printing right now, I recessed the parking lights on the sides and gave the face a fish mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Awesome work!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
This is truly inspiring!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 11-17-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:55 AM   #57
Gold Star Baby!

That bumper looks sharp!

Those shapeways prices though, ouch.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #58
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Great build and nice details. Your build was one of the reasons I chose to build another LC.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I always wanted to have one of my bumpers printed by Shapeways using their SLS nylon which is very tough. Well I uploaded the design and they want $180 for 1
Have you thought about uploading the front bumper for others to purchase? I don't know anything about how Shapeways operates, but you'd probably make more than enough to cover the 'single piece' cost. I know I'd be interested. I've got a KB LC70, although I'll be installing it onto the TF2 chassis (which I should start building soon, alongside building my TK).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:48 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

You still uploading to Thingiverse?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Trail King Picture Archive - NO TALKING 1BadJeepBruiser SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 38 08-14-2023 09:45 AM
My Take on the SSD Trail King neilus SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 48 03-24-2020 03:09 PM
SSD Trail King Toothless9 General Crawlers 2 09-03-2019 05:57 PM