Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Carpetfuzz’s TK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Carpetfuzz’s TK

Ah, jeez.... what a great snap of yer tabby trail truck tester!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2020, 10:01 PM   #82
Rock Crawler

When I got home after work today little cat beat me to the mailbox. She was sitting there waiting with the latest RPP box. Opening the box with her provide to be a nightmare. There was packing peanuts all over the place . Once I could get the goods she was ready to go to work. Been wanting to try these out for a while now. Going to swap these in place of the SSD shocks.

I wish I could train to get boxes from the mailbox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:10 AM   #83

What's your reasoning for swapping shocks?

Last night I also got a package from RPP with packing peanuts. I reminded myself that I'm going to start ordering elsewhere until they get with the times and get rid of those peanuts!

Did I read it right when you said somebody just dropped that cat off and abandoned it near your house?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:30 AM   #84
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What's your reasoning for swapping shocks?

Last night I also got a package from RPP with packing peanuts. I reminded myself that I'm going to start ordering elsewhere until they get with the times and get rid of those peanuts!

Did I read it right when you said somebody just dropped that cat off and abandoned it near your house?

That is correct. People just dropped off the cat. It’s a real cool little cat. Still gets a little scared at times but very friendly. It sucks what people do to animals at times. Little thing was starving and under weight. Working on the under weight part now. As you can tell from earlier picture she got 2 paws on chassis and it really has a lean. Her newest one is to take off with me wrenches

Reason for the shocks is that they are more “racing” oriented. They have an actual piston with holes drilled in them. I can tweak the holes larger if I like. Also working on something special for them with a company. I am going to try a couple different things out them. I just feel that I can more with these than the scale still shocks.

I really like the SSD shocks though also. Hell I got rid of the VP ones on me VS4 Pro in favor of the SSD shocks. I have been one from tweaking shocks and this is going to be some fun. If they not work out it’s no big deal I have a SCX10.2 with plastic funnels oh I mean shocks that need replacing
Old 01-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
That is correct. People just dropped off the cat. It’s a real cool little cat. Still gets a little scared at times but very friendly. It sucks what people do to animals at times. Little thing was starving and under weight. Working on the under weight part now. As you can tell from earlier picture she got 2 paws on chassis and it really has a lean. Her newest one is to take off with me wrenches

Reason for the shocks is that they are more “racing” oriented. They have an actual piston with holes drilled in them. I can tweak the holes larger if I like. Also working on something special for them with a company. I am going to try a couple different things out them. I just feel that I can more with these than the scale still shocks.

I really like the SSD shocks though also. Hell I got rid of the VP ones on me VS4 Pro in favor of the SSD shocks. I have been one from tweaking shocks and this is going to be some fun. If they not work out it’s no big deal I have a SCX10.2 with plastic funnels oh I mean shocks that need replacing
Glad to hear you took her in. Had a similar situation a few months ago, with a kitten I assume was probably less than 3 months old. Unfortunately, with all the remodeling going on in the condo, it's not a "safe" environment for any animal. Thankfully, my upstairs neighbor had recently lost one of her two cats, and was already considering a replacement (it's always better to have more than one, as they keep each other company, especially when no one else is home). To make a long story short, she took to the kitten instantly...and I get to visit whenever I want.

As for the shocks, why didn't you just drill holes in the stock pistons? Avid, as well as others, sells piston drilling kits, containing several "piston hole" drill bits, and holder. These are not for power drill, but are 'operated' slowly, by hand. With the kit, you can customize any piston to your liking.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #86
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Glad to hear you took her in. Had a similar situation a few months ago, with a kitten I assume was probably less than 3 months old. Unfortunately, with all the remodeling going on in the condo, it's not a "safe" environment for any animal. Thankfully, my upstairs neighbor had recently lost one of her two cats, and was already considering a replacement (it's always better to have more than one, as they keep each other company, especially when no one else is home). To make a long story short, she took to the kitten instantly...and I get to visit whenever I want.

As for the shocks, why didn't you just drill holes in the stock pistons? Avid, as well as others, sells piston drilling kits, containing several "piston hole" drill bits, and holder. These are not for power drill, but are 'operated' slowly, by hand. With the kit, you can customize any piston to your liking.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I have to ask the question so who do get to visit whenever you want the kitten or the neighbor just kidding. Already have 2 others and it turns into a racetrack with 3 of them running around with toys and wrenches

As for the pistons yes there are blanks but I believe that they are to big as these are 10mm pistons. I believe but could be wrong but I think the regular AE 1/10 pistons are slightly bigger. I need to try to find some old ones that I might have around to test.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:17 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Quote:

I did have me eye on this

This would definitely help with what I want to do. In the end though I am trying to get some by pass pistons made.

Old 01-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post

Well I'm glad a good person like you found the cat! People are assholes towards animals.

Cool! I'll be interested to see what you develop for the shocks.

Good to know about the SSD shocks as I haven't used them yet, but I will on my TK.

Funnel is a good term for those shocks.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

As for the shocks, why didn't you just drill holes in the stock pistons?

Theres very little room for holes on these tiny pistons
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Theres very little room for holes on these tiny pistons
Technically, there are already holes...4 of them, to be specific. It's just that they're along the edge, as opposed to the location we're more familiar with. However, there is enough room to drill up to four additional holes. I'm sure you can figure out the locations I'm referring to. To help not drill where the C-clips are, before taking the shocks apart, take a pencil, and draw a line around the C-clips. Then disassemble, and the actual drilling is simple.

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

We have 3 strays at the house...we took in all three as kittens over the years and they are all part of the family. We tried to keep all three indoors, but one of them was just too feral. Lost her litterbox training and out she went. We built a house with a heater outside though for the winter months, and she's happy as can be.

Sorry for the diversion, love the cat pics. Back to the RC stuff...
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Default Carpetfuzz’s TK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
We have 3 strays at the house...we took in all three as kittens over the years and they are all part of the family. We tried to keep all three indoors, but one of them was just too feral. Lost her litterbox training and out she went. We built a house with a heater outside though for the winter months, and she's happy as can be.

Sorry for the diversion, love the cat pics. Back to the RC stuff...

No worries on the diversion

Luckily we showed this one the litter box and took right to it

They are so funny at times and you never know what is coming next with them Unfortunately 2 of the outside ones can’t be left in the house unattended so they spend their nights in the garage and depending on the weather they stay in there also.
This is what happens when you aren’t paying attention. Toys just appear

Was actually funny watching it come through the room and then try to hide it.

Last edited by carpetfuzz17; 01-08-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

I found some of me older 1/10 AE pistons. Put a little color on them to show the numbers. With these I can really tweak the suspension.

Here we have the stock crawler piston

Here is the 1/10 piston

Looks like a great fit.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:38 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Nice I cant see the difference.

I took a risk and grabbed some Associated X-rings and they fit the Enduro shocks nicely. Its pretty cool to have their parts catalog to work with for swapping things around, reminds me of some auto manufactures.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:14 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Nice I cant see the difference.

I took a risk and grabbed some Associated X-rings and they fit the Enduro shocks nicely. Its pretty cool to have their parts catalog to work with for swapping things around, reminds me of some auto manufactures.
That is good to know about the Xrings I have a couple packs of them already here sounds like I am going to be changing them out. So how do you like the shocks?
Old 01-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

I really like them, super smooth good spring rate options, holds oil lol. Now that I really think about it I cant think of a better shock that I own, Gmade comes close but the spring rate options are terrible compare the the Enduro's (Gmades springs are way too stiff). EDIT: oops I forgot about my Dravtecs so maybe its a tie then.

I have 2 sets, I pulled out the stock set because I just dont care for the bright blue anodizing but they'll go into something eventually.

For anyone curious the part number for the X rings is 91493

EDIT: I also picked up some plastic shock caps that have a bleeder screw built in (part #6443). I haven't got around to installing them but they should make assembly and maintenance a bit easier.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-08-2020 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I really like them, super smooth good spring rate options, holds oil lol. Now that I really think about it I cant think of a better shock that I own, Gmade comes close but the spring rate options are terrible compare the the Enduro's (Gmades springs are way too stiff).

I have 2 sets, I pulled out the stock set because I just dont care for the bright blue anodizing but they'll go into something eventually.

For anyone curious the part number for the X rings is 91493

EDIT: I also picked up some plastic shock caps that have a bleeder screw built in (part #6443). I haven't got around to installing them but they should make assembly and maintenance a bit easier.

Thanks for the information
I have a set of Gmade piggy backs and the springs are stiff. I swapped them out with the AE 12mm big bore springs and fit perfectly. Lots of spring rates. I would have to say SSD shocks as of right now are me favorite. Next I would have to say is the HPI Venture shocks. Like I said I am a shock nut. There’s something about them that I enjoy tinkering around with.

I tried one of me older caps and noticed that they were slightly looser to start threading on but seemed to seal tight. I haven’t tried them with oil yet to see if they leak. I also noticed that the mounting opening is two different sizes from the older to the newer caps.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:03 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

I received a nice little care package from SSD.

They were very helpful with sending out an extra rear brace and stickers. Thank you so much SSD.

A quick little trim of the tabs and a perfect fit. This is where you can tell SSD did their homework. You notice the different holes to adjust the cell to fit your needs. In this case the center holes work for this project.

More updates coming soon

Old 01-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

Did a little motor work. I soldered some tubes to the tabs and plugs to the wires. I thought it would be easier this way with the motor cover. If it doesn’t work I can always fix it. Oh and going with a 550 Holmes Hobby motor.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #100
Rock Crawler

Got the last few parts to finish up a new front axle to match the axle. Swapping over the the Diamond centers. Although I like the look of the 44’s they won’t match for what I have going on.

Carpetfuzz’s TK - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carpetfuzz starts a new Venture carpetfuzz17 HPI Venture 2 03-17-2019 07:19 PM
Carpetfuzz gets a Ascender Bronco carpetfuzz17 Vaterra Ascender 20 11-25-2018 10:12 PM