Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exceed Mad Torque - Extensive Review and build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

Check out our latest adventure where we take our Mad Torque to its natural habitat. The Rock Crawler embodies good features from real rock crawlers. Multi-link suspension and axles provides all 4 wheels through A center-mounted 3-gear transmission, providing tremendous grip and torque at all times and overcome any obstacle that it may meet with.

hobbypartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the link to the video!

I've been meaning to send you guys a message about the description. The transmission is not 3 gears and it's not center mounted. That probably refers to a shaft driven skid plate mounted style crawler rather than this type of Motor on Axle crawler.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Just curious...you guys dont think the exceed maxstone 8 comes
out the box a decent crawler compared to the madtorque?..
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEDY GENIUS View Post
no idea, I've never seen one.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
no idea, I've never seen one.
Its on hobbypartz profile pic right above us.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Its on hobbypartz profile pic right above us.
Look closer: That's a Maxstone 10, which is a close rip off of the AX10...

I've never seen the Maxstone 8 in person, or seen it on the rocks, so I can't say which is better.

To a certain extent, the driver is really the limiting factor, so you could have the "best" rig, but lose to a better driver with a well set up "budget" crawler.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post

I've never seen the Maxstone 8 in person, or seen it on the rocks, so I can't say which is better.

To a certain extent, the driver is really the limiting factor, so you could have the "best" rig, but lose to a better driver with a well set up "budget" crawler.
I know its the ten,i have the 8..just using the pic as an example.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Quote:

I agree.. nothin better then seeing a "budget" crawler stand up next to a big dollar paperweight
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
When I was doing research on the exceed trucks I noticed a few points between the max stone and the mad torque. 1. The mad torque has steel gears thru out where the max stone has plastic gears. 2. The max... has plastic bumper on both axles that look like they would get caught up on rocks.

Just like any crawler out there there a few cheap/ no cost mods you can do to make it rock worthy but the bonus of steel gears in the mad toque drove me to get it over the max stone.
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrind808 View Post
When I was doing research on the exceed trucks I noticed a few points between the max stone and the mad torque. 1. The mad torque has steel gears thru out where the max stone has plastic gears. 2. The max... has plastic bumper on both axles that look like they would get caught up on rocks.

Just like any crawler out there there a few cheap/ no cost mods you can do to make it rock worthy but the bonus of steel gears in the mad toque drove me to get it over the max stone.
I hear ya but the bumpers just screw right off easily and madtorque has bumpers that look like they would be a issue also?My question was really asking if you thought the maxstone is compareable next to the mad torque?i think if you took them out the boxes,threw in some batteries...neither one would outshine one another( my opinion) as far as the metal gears,i agree with you about metal over plastic but when i got my maxstone i used to beat the hell out of it and it handled pretty good.i guess it all depends on what your going to do with it?if your going to comp either one straight out the box,good luck but if your going to crawl around town...since i bought mine all thats left from original are some links and cut up chassis but thats going soon also,just ordered the superjuice chassis..i completly started over from Scratch so like i said,all depends on what you with it?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

Heres a link to a youtube clip showing both trucks http://youtu.be/xBTVPf_Ygh0
Old 04-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Heres a link to a youtube clip showing both trucks http://youtu.be/xBTVPf_Ygh0
Cool vid
Old 04-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
I hear ya but the bumpers just screw right off easily and madtorque has bumpers that look like they would be a issue also?My question was really asking if you thought the maxstone is compareable next to the mad torque?i think if you took them out the boxes,threw in some batteries...neither one would outshine one another( my opinion) as far as the metal gears,i agree with you about metal over plastic but when i got my maxstone i used to beat the hell out of it and it handled pretty good.i guess it all depends on what your going to do with it?if your going to comp either one straight out the box,good luck but if your going to crawl around town...since i bought mine all thats left from original are some links and cut up chassis but thats going soon also,just ordered the superjuice chassis..i completly started over from Scratch so like i said,all depends on what you with it?
I agree.
I think both the Maxstone and the Madtorque have equal pros and cons and it all comes down to presonal prefrence
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I had looked at both of them before, and really what made me decide on the Mad Torque was the price was lower, and it had metal gears in the axles. Really for me that's what threw it over the edge.

I knew I'd be changing out motors and servos and making my own chassis, etc, so it came down to the axles and the starting price.

As far as this build goes, I am currently working on the chassis (cutting this by hand takes a little while, and being in school and work full time leaves only a little free time to work on it) and just ordered some rod ends for rear steer and the new links I will need with the new chassis and new narrow hexes (for under $4 from hobbypartz.)

Also just ordered a 5S lipo to replace my dead NiMh batteries for my drill (so I can finally drill all the holes in the chassis.) It was actually about half the price of getting the li-ion battery from Ryobi, yet this will have more power and charge a lot quicker.

I ordered a set of tires to cut and expand to match the two I already have, but the seller didn't realize what he had, so I ended up getting the wrong tires. I wanted comp claws, he sent me normal rock claws, not understanding that the comp claws were different. I think I will probably just get a set of blast wheels and narrow those and sell the Axial beadlocks... Maybe.

I'll have updates as soon as I get parts in to start building.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 04-25-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #35

exceed also made a 10th scale a few years ago that looks to use the same axels and several other parts a set of the axel ends and wheal nuts should let u mount anny 2.2 tire on the mad torque. if it doesent fit the supper class maby y can make it fit the 10th scale or 2.2 class .the other thing i saw in the video between the mad touque and the maxstone 8 was the tire size i know nitrorcx has an all aluminum set of rims for the maxstone 8, and thay have wheal wates too.
gohstwrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Thanks for the link to the video!

I've been meaning to send you guys a message about the description. The transmission is not 3 gears and it's not center mounted. That probably refers to a shaft driven skid plate mounted style crawler rather than this type of Motor on Axle crawler.

thers no mistake on ther decription each (moa)has 3 gears not couting the spur gears on the moters in each axle .and the moters are centerd to balence the axle.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohstwrighter View Post
thers no mistake on ther decription each (moa)has 3 gears not couting the spur gears on the moters in each axle .and the moters are centerd to balence the axle.
Wierd:

Description from 1/10 scale Maxstone Shafty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrorcx.com
The Rock Crawler embodies good features from real rock crawlers. Multi-link suspension and axles provides all 4 wheels through A center-mounted 3-gear transmission, providing tremendous grip and torque at all times and overcome any obstacle that it may meet with.
And from the MOA 1/8 Mad Torque:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrorcx.com
The Rock Crawler embodies good features from real rock crawlers. Multi-link suspension and axles provides all 4 wheels through A center-mounted 3-gear transmission, providing tremendous grip and torque at all times and overcome any obstacle that it may meet with.
Word for word copy and paste.

I count 6 gears in the transmission on mine:

Motor Pinion +
12t
14t
40t
42t
and 48t gears.

For each axle, so the total crawler has 12 gears...

They actually use the exact same transmission description on the MOA Maxstone 8 and Shafty Maxstone 16, but not on the MOA Mad Crawler (the pre-cursor to the Mad Torque)

So, can you tell me how these vastly different crawlers all have the same description for the transmission? (I'll give you a hint; the guy who writes the descriptions just copied them from the first page.)

Also, the transmission on these is not centered on the axle, it's offset so that the motor is almost centered when mounted.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #38

sory monkeracer you are right i shoud have sed the moter and dif are senterd on the axel not just the moter and i wasent looking at the exploded vew to see thay had mounted a seperat idler gear on each main gear i had only looked at the parts for it on nitrorcx and the trans gear kit only had 3 gears in it i dident realize it had multipul ideler gears seprate
Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Really though, let's look at the situation:

I've been in the RC game for over 12 years, crawlers for about 4 years. I actually have one of these and did a well written (with proper spelling, punctuation and grammar) review about the vehicle.

I think I would know a thing or two about the difference between a Center Mounted 3-gear transmission vs the MOA design on this vehicle.

Without trying to be mean or rude, there is a lot of ignorance in your posts (not just in this thread.) I know you are new at this, and just trying to post your opinions, but it would be better to do a little research about things before posting. Also, I know that not everyone can be a spelling whiz, but it might help to write your posts in microsoft word and use the spell check feature there, and then copy and paste it into the thread.

I only say that because I've seen too many newbies get flamed for bad spelling and ignorant comments that could have been prevented if they were told early on how this forum works.

As far as the build goes, I'm still trying to track down some more tires to make the other pair of Super Comp Claws, and have been sick all week and didn't get to finishing cutting the chassis. I'll be done with school for the semester in a couple weeks and will have much more free time to be able to work on this (and my other projects.)
Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Really though, let's look at the situation:

I've been in the RC game for over 12 years, crawlers for about 4 years. I actually have one of these and did a well written (with proper spelling, punctuation and grammar) review about the vehicle.
Awesome.. And I agree your write up was nicely done.. here you were looking for some new tires...I started cutting up the stock tires and heres how the turned out and I bought a set on 4.0 wheel on line for $30 for all 4..